Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

pentyne posted:

Then you get the Space Wolves thing, where literally everyone that comes into incidental contact with Chaos is purged, and Space Marines are mind-wiped. The story had the Inquisition Leader glassing an entire planet because the Wolves stopped to refuel at a orbital space station due to "risk of chaos contamination". Then you have the Grey Knights, who are specifically trained to fight Chaos, but also so secret that learning about them gets you killed or mind wiped.

There's degrees to how much incidental contact and information with Chaos one might be allowed to have before it's purging time. Knowing that there's evil cultists who worship Warp poo poo and get mutated is not a big deal, and local law-enforcement and Arbites deal with the pettiest of those, with the Inquisition handling the serious cases. Knowing that sometimes said Warp poo poo gives the cultists crazy-rear end powers is bit higher clearance. Then comes the knowledge that Warp has denizens who will murder you if there's a warp-breach, which you're not supposed to know at all. Then comes the knowledge that the "denizens" are actually no-poo poo daemons, and they're not only sentient, but aspects of four Chaos Gods who are actively malevolent, and that knowledge is for Inquisition and the Space Marines. Then comes the knowledge that there weren't nine holy Primarchs who fought nine devils in the times Emperor walked the Galaxy but there were eighteen Primarchs, half of whom turned traitor, and their leader Horus was not just a random Devil-figure but Emperor's favourite son and some of the traitor Primarchs became immortal daemons, and absolutely nobody should be allowed to know that, not necessarily even most members of the Inquisition, though in practice at least the First Founding Space Marine Chapters do.

Chaos does have far more mortal followers than Chaos Space Marines, and it is usually the Imperial Guard who has to fight them, and they do not get purged after just one battle. They are closely monitored and checked for corruption, and if they encounter bad enough poo poo (like actual daemons) they just might get quietly eliminated afterwards.

In the case of First War for Armageddon, the Grey Knights were willing to accept the Wolves' demand that only the soldiers who directly fought against the daemonic incursion were to be handed over Inquisition to be "processed", but the Inquisition did not honor that agreement. They also make the express point that the reason they are so heavy-handed in their purges is not merely because the population became aware of Chaos and the soldiers had to fight it. It's because the incursion was far worse than most, with far more actual daemons present and also who was leading the incursion: Angron, a Daemon Primarch. They cannot take the risk that anyone might have learned about his existence, hence every soldier gets their troop transport blown apart while in space and the entire population gets sterilized and shipped off-world to high security labour camps. And even then the Grey Knights are torn, and express feelings that the Inquisition might be going over-board partly because they can't stand being challenged by the Space Marines.

Some of the novels set later in timeline make the point that the Great Rift that tore the galaxy a new rear end in a top hat radically changed matters, and the chancellor for Terran high lords muses that before that even he might have gotten executed or mind-wiped for knowing about Grey Knights but that ship has sailed.

Warden fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah the 'new' 40k novels make it explicit that the days of most mortals being mind-wiped/executed for contact with daemons is over. Daemons manifested all over Terra, a world of quadrillions. All over the Imperium regular jackoffs came face-to-face with daemons en masse when the Great Rift opened. The cat is out of the bag with that one.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yep, when the Galaxy is torn in half by Chaos and you just have to look up at the night sky to see the rift even the Ordos had to go Welp! :shrug: on the whole secrecy thing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just saw the game art and trailer, I'm shocked the rogue traders could have an eldar alien and a space marine in the same group lol.

Also the main purple lady psyker looks suspiciously close to an emperors children....

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
I'm hoping instead of a full blown chaos route they do a FNV:Wildcard route where you manipulate events to set up your own personal fiefdom. You could add chaosy elements to it at the players discretion but not require any.

Sure in a few centuries the Imperium will probably come around and slap you down but that's a problem for your children and your children's children.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The concept art for the main Psyker lady Cassia she looks like a chaos or mutant with the sharp claws red eyes and pale white skin with markings, but she’s like the main character to the point she gets a statue, I wonder what’s her deal in the story

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
That's just how Navigators look

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The concept art for the main Psyker lady Cassia she looks like a chaos or mutant with the sharp claws red eyes and pale white skin with markings, but she’s like the main character to the point she gets a statue, I wonder what’s her deal in the story

No no, she's a 'good' mutant called a Navigator who uses her Psyker powers to help ships navigate the Warp. It's okay that she's a mutant because it's impossible to navigate the Warp without one, so it totally isn't hypocritical at all!

Given that, she's probably a mandatory party member that you can't get rid of so she's important enough to get a statue.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nephthys posted:

No no, she's a 'good' mutant called a Navigator who uses her Psyker powers to help ships navigate the Warp. It's okay that she's a mutant because it's impossible to navigate the Warp without one, so it totally isn't hypocritical at all!

Given that, she's probably a mandatory party member that you can't get rid of so she's important enough to get a statue.

Oooooh I never knew that about the 40k lore I thought navigators were just regular psykers, I never knew that they were full on mutants, it’s interesting that humans have an entire noble house of mutants.

She does have a great design though so it makes sense she gets a statue.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Navigators are one of many things in 40k that are taken directly from Dune, including being weird mutants that get to ignore normal societal rules.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nephthys posted:

I thought the navigators were a relic of the old technology golden age wonderland days, genetically engineered to allow reliable FTL travel in the times before psykers started popping up and chaos gods started running amok. So it kinda makes sense to give them a pass, as an intentional product of humanity. I'm sure the bit about everything falling apart without them helps too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Warbadger posted:

I'm sure the bit about everything falling apart without them helps too.

This is 100% the case. As people have said before, for all that the Imperium likes to present itself as this rigid, unbending monolith, in practical reality anything goes as long as:

A: Whatever it X is, it's essential to the running of the Imperium- or at the very least, makes things much easier for the Imperium's great powers to do stuff, and

B: Gets an okay from said great powers (or in the Navigators' case, is one of those great powers).

AtillatheBum posted:

Sure in a few centuries the Imperium will probably come around and slap you down but that's a problem for your children and your children's children.

I don't know; considering the existence of juvenat treatments it might very well be your PC's problem eventually :v:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I genuinely wonder how they’re gonna square the circle of having a sister of battle and an eldar on the same team narratively as those ladies are class A psychos

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely wonder how they’re gonna square the circle of having a sister of battle and an eldar on the same team narratively as those ladies are class A psychos

I mean, this is any RPG. Owlcat’s own Pathfinder games have Paladins and other goodies sharing party space with out and proud serial killers. The degree of conflict between racially or ideologically opposed companions is always a crapshoot.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's also implied in her writeup that the Sister might have her own reasons for being out in the Expanse, reasons which might facilitate working with the xeno.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nephthys posted:

Hey she's not a mutant she's an "Abhuman"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey she's not a mutant she's an "Abhuman"

Actually, this is a very pertinent distinction between 'abhuman' and 'mutant' where the Imperium is concerned!

1: A Ratling and a Ratling have a baby, which gives them a baby with Ratling features and genes- this makes them 'abhuman' and worthy of existence. They don't even have to die in order to redeem themselves for their deviation from the holy human form! Luxurious!

2: Mommy has eyes on stalks, Daddy has a beak, and Baby has four scaled arms. They're mutants! But all is not lost- indeed, they might have it better than even the most pure of humans. For where the pure human might live under a false sense of security (and thus has a higher chance of being lost to heresy if they aren't aware of how lowly they are compared to the God-Emperor), the mutant knows that they are damned, which in turn makes the path to salvation all the clearer: death! Whether it's at the business end of a flamer, or throwing themselves at the enemy to soak up fire and ammunition meant for pure humans, the mutant is truly blessed in that their life path is clear and narrow! Truly, the God-Emperor provides in all things!

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Navigators are definitely mutants. Abhumans are genetically stable, navigators aren't. Two ogryns will produce a little baby ogryn that will have a totally predictable form, teratogens aside. Navigators, on the other hand, have pretty random mutations. Extra eyes. No eyes. More joints in limbs or digits. Weird tumours. Whatever. It's such that within navigator houses they actually tightly control who can produce children and who can't. Too many mutations and you're single for life.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not to mention the inreeding- the Navigator gene is recessive, so having children with those outside the Navigator families is a no-no. This was bad enough in the early days of the Imperium, but as Navigator Houses die out in the void or turn heretic, the potential Navigator gene pool has become a gene puddle. I don't think it was ever mentioned in canon, but I personally hold that this is how Navigators keep themselves from being purged by the more short-sighted (or politically-minded) Puritans, by presenting their mutations as just the byproducts of massive inreeding.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Lassitude posted:

Navigators are definitely mutants. Abhumans are genetically stable, navigators aren't. Two ogryns will produce a little baby ogryn that will have a totally predictable form, teratogens aside. Navigators, on the other hand, have pretty random mutations. Extra eyes. No eyes. More joints in limbs or digits. Weird tumours. Whatever. It's such that within navigator houses they actually tightly control who can produce children and who can't. Too many mutations and you're single for life.

My personal favorite is the house pairing that lead to all the babies being born as writhing masses of flesh around a massively enlarged and permanently opened pineal eye, killing everyone in the room when they popped out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

I thought they were still legally considered Abhumans despite that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Owlcat will single handedly redeem the W40K franchise as a whole if they reveal a planet of space dwarfs i.e Squats.

Ogres, ie. Ogryns are still canon but BL killed off the Squats in the 80s/90s for some dumb reason.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

pentyne posted:

Owlcat will single handedly redeem the W40K franchise as a whole if they reveal a planet of space dwarfs i.e Squats.

Ogres, ie. Ogryns are still canon but BL killed off the Squats in the 80s/90s for some dumb reason.

Actually, Squats are back! In pog form!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

kinda funny that they ret-conned the Demiurg into just a Squat faction that trades a lot with the Tau Empire

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

As said above, Squats (or rather their new name, Leagues of Votann) were brought back and released with a full codex in late September/early October. The army list was also immediately nerfed, because it was released with some ludicrously broken OP poo poo as core mechanics.

People have known they were coming for most of the year, because there was a joke video with one in it on April Fools, and they were confirmed the next day.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

one recruitable Ork, please

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
All orks, please.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All Orks disguised as a RT contingent.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

An ork companion that gets larger as it levels up would be pretty cool.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I thought they were still legally considered Abhumans despite that.

I believe they're technically considered sanctioned mutants, similar to psykers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Not only were squats brought back they look really goddamn cool so I don’t see why they can’t make an appearance

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Dandywalken posted:

one recruitable Ork, please

An Ork Kommando who completely believes he's fitting in as a covert agent, but its just the rogue trader choosing to tolerate him.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 21, 2022

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Al-Saqr posted:

Not only were squats brought back they look really goddamn cool so I don’t see why they can’t make an appearance

They commented on that officially, I seem to remember. The gist was that they were brought back too late to get any kind of major inclusion in the game.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
Ork and Kroot mercs as the generic recruitables so you can have as many as you want.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Kroot merc that you can respec for free at base or in-mission by eating a corpse of the appropriate class.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

$300 for the statue....I'm thinking about it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

pentyne posted:

You'd have to take to 100x further. Canon Lore is now (I think) that Chaos is so powerful that a single person exposed to it could bring about the ruin of an entire planet given enough time. It's like a psychic meme, but it takes over and corrupts like a literally 100% effective virus.

The lore has been pretty inconsistent in the past. The Cain novels have the protagonist as being educated and fully aware of the Chaos gods, to the point of knowing that they fight each other all the time, and the troops should stay back and let the opposing Chaos troops fight it out before stepping it. It's treated as a big deal and even some of the other Commissars try to execute him for knowing about it/talking about it.

Then you get the Space Wolves thing, where literally everyone that comes into incidental contact with Chaos is purged, and Space Marines are mind-wiped. The story had the Inquisition Leader glassing an entire planet because the Wolves stopped to refuel at a orbital space station due to "risk of chaos contamination". Then you have the Grey Knights, who are specifically trained to fight Chaos, but also so secret that learning about them gets you killed or mind wiped.

I'd prefer more of the Cain novels lore, where the educated/upper class is aware of Chaos and it's a thing but not like, "Hey, ever heard of Khorne" results in the planet getting sterilized days later.

There's also the Gaunt's Ghosts books, where Gaunt and his handpicked team spent more than a year on a chaos corrupted world and come back clean. (Seriously traumatized, but clean, vouched for by the Inquisition).

A quote from an in-universe text by an Inquisitor was “Chaos claims the unwary or the incomplete. A true man may flinch away its embrace, if he is stalwart, and he girds his soul with the armour of contempt.”

Then again, the Gaunt's Ghost books are set in the middle of a massive crusade to reclaim planets from Chaos. Means you have to be a bit more flexible in what you allow people to know if you're going to have any troops last more than a few weeks.

(The books also have one of the most notable turncoats against Chaos, going from a loyal servant of the ruinous powers to being a conscientious objector. Long story there.)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
For those of you who want to whet your Rogue Trader-related appetite before the game announces its alpha release (I'm trying to avoid getting alpha access via the $99 edition, but I have a feeling I'm going to give in), they released a book about three Rogue Trader families trying to penetrate the Great Rift.

I'm not going to link it, because, GW somehow demands $16 for a loving ebook. (Seriously?). But for those of you who :filez: may want to look out for it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SirFozzie posted:

For those of you who want to whet your Rogue Trader-related appetite before the game announces its alpha release (I'm trying to avoid getting alpha access via the $99 edition, but I have a feeling I'm going to give in), they released a book about three Rogue Trader families trying to penetrate the Great Rift.

I'm not going to link it, because, GW somehow demands $16 for a loving ebook. (Seriously?). But for those of you who :filez: may want to look out for it.

would you be good enough to actually give us the name of this book? 'rogue trader' and 'rogue trader wh40k' an 'rogue trader book' are all a bit too loose for searches.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It'll be this.

https://www.blacklibrary.com/new-titles/featured/ebook-void-king-eng-2022.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Lord Koth posted:

As said above, Squats (or rather their new name, Leagues of Votann) were brought back and released with a full codex in late September/early October. The army list was also immediately nerfed, because it was released with some ludicrously broken OP poo poo as core mechanics.

People have known they were coming for most of the year, because there was a joke video with one in it on April Fools, and they were confirmed the next day.

Owlcat also confirmed in an interview that the Leagues were revealed too late after development started so they won't be in the game.