Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
They've got nothing, same as the last 50 years.

Only Kindness fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Only Kindness posted:

They've got nothing, same as the last 50 years.

Just like the poor

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, I think maybe at this point we're just gonna have to accept that The Poor just don't want to make PowerPoints.

C'mon, get it together, The Poor™! :argh: some more of my usual waspish pin-sharp swiftian satire there this bit was also a self-deprecating joke I put this in because I'm not sure I trust people not to misread it made you look hah gottem

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Computer, linking all the sites. Never been to a shop though. And their sofas were too expensive.

Digging deep but we’re you based in the Golborne site? I spent 2 months there as a software engineer, decided it was rubbish and went back to my previous job.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

404 BREXIT PAGE ERROR... SANITY NOT FOUND :getin:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Cancelbot posted:

Digging deep but we’re you based in the Golborne site? I spent 2 months there as a software engineer, decided it was rubbish and went back to my previous job.

I visited there, didn't work for them, worked for a provider.

Also regarding Everton, I know gently caress all about football and don't follow it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/celsdonblog/status/1594289036323176450

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm sure if it had come out a majority for brexit then these titans of journalism would be sure to give the same caveats about the inaccuracy of twitter polls and not just paraded an equally meaningless figure around as if it meant anything

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The polls mean nothing, people will change their minds when they feast their eyes on the wondrous opportunities it has brought (they're just out of frame).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1594341224764375043?s=46&t=_9Pe5WZyE-IjMAzyyfc2UQ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i prefer the quiet and ambiguous variety, myself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
FFS - 'keeping the heating off through ignorance'! 'open a window' - yeah right like when there is a problem with the exterior causing the black mould opening a window is really going to solve it. 'Drying washing indoors' (where else is it going to dry if you live in a flat with no outside?)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/19/uk-tenants-face-blame-for-causing-toxic-mould-and-deadly-hazards-under-new-rules

quote:

UK tenants face blame for causing toxic mould and deadly hazards under new rules
Exclusive: lessons from the death of Awaab Ishak in Rochdale ignored, say experts, as environmental health inspectors told to focus on lifestyle

An inquest found that black mould was to blame for the death of Awaab Ishak in December 2020.

Tom Wall & Shanti Das
Sat 19 Nov 2022 13.11 GMT

Thousands of renters could be blamed for toxic black mould and other potentially deadly hazards under a government overhaul of the housing enforcement system.

Thomas Rogers, who, with his wife, moved from their damp Bradford flat last week, fearing for their health.
‘We are treated like dogs’: tenants in damp UK homes left gasping for air

Leaked documents seen by the Observer suggest councils inspecting rented properties will be formally instructed to examine residents’ behaviour when deciding whether to take action against landlords over dangerous conditions.

Under the updated housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS), environmental health inspectors will be told to consider detailed “behavioural factors”, such as whether residents are taking enough steps to ensure their property is heated and ventilated, including using heating, running extraction fans and opening windows. Other factors they will be required to consider include whether people are exposing themselves to excessively low temperatures due to ignorance, a “stoic and often embedded attitude” to cold or desire to “reduce carbon emissions”, adds the guidance, developed for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities in September.

etc

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

FFS - 'keeping the heating off through ignorance'! 'open a window' - yeah right like when there is a problem with the exterior causing the black mould opening a window is really going to solve it. 'Drying washing indoors' (where else is it going to dry if you live in a flat with no outside?)

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/19/uk-tenants-face-blame-for-causing-toxic-mould-and-deadly-hazards-under-new-rules

So whats stopping a landlord painting over the black mould, renting it to the next lot, black mould appears again, ITS ALL YOUR FAULT PAY THOUSANDS TO REPAIR IT!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
drat yeah i'll just open a window in my bathroom with no windows and the cheapest possible fan doing next to nothing in the ceiling, installed after months of telling him the old fan wasn't working at all on the day we moved in

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Some lovely Freeman of the Land news

quote:

A MAN who refused to co-operate with the courts by not answering his name and reading loudly from a pre-prepared statement, was told by the judge "don't talk such tripe" and sent into custody.

Brian James Bailey, no address given, insisted on being called "Brian James of the family Bailey" but at first wouldn't answer when asked to give his name, at the Isle of Wight Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

Instead, he tried to read from a document he had brought along with him. His persistent refusal to engage with the court process saw him sent to the cells by Judge Anthony Callaway.

Ann Smout, prosecuting, said police had stopped Bailey's car on the outskirts of Newport because the details on the van numberplate, BA113Y, were not found on the police's national register.

Bailey pulled up but refused to get out of the vehicle.

Police had to stop traffic in both directions and smash his window to remove him and take him into custody. Cannabis was found in the vehicle.

Bailey told the police he hadn't consented to be stopped, but pulled over to let the police go past. He said his offences did not have a victim so they weren't a crime, and refused to co-operate with the judicial process.

Judge Callaway sent him into custody for three weeks and he must then re-appear for sentencing.

:allears:

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Pretty ballsy of him

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well our heating bill's up to £3 already today after turning the boiler and thermostat down, i promise you sitting here in the cold is not out of ignorance it's out of not wanting to loving bankrupt myself.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Am I being unreasonably grouchy?

We've spent weeks rightly condemning the likes of Beckham and Lineker and other millionaires for taking Qatari cash for promoting the World Cup, we've called out the milquetoast critique of the human rights abuses there that they think is all they need to do in order to be able to just talk football and leave the politics out of it, and we've called out advertisers and artists willing to lend their brand to this event. But now everyone who was with me on this in the lead up to the tournament seems to be watching the match like nothing is wrong. We laughed at Labour MPs who said they were "boycotting" the event by watching it at home rather than accepting freebie tickets and now everyone is acting just like them. It's infuriating.

Am I just being an arsehole here or is this sticking in anyone else's craw?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

are england winning or did people just get bored?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

are england winning or did people just get bored?

They aren't even playing until tomorrow, today is Qatar Vs Ecuador.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Beats me, I'm not going to watch a minute of it. gently caress that tournament.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prole posted:

Am I being unreasonably grouchy?

We've spent weeks rightly condemning the likes of Beckham and Lineker and other millionaires for taking Qatari cash for promoting the World Cup, we've called out the milquetoast critique of the human rights abuses there that they think is all they need to do in order to be able to just talk football and leave the politics out of it, and we've called out advertisers and artists willing to lend their brand to this event. But now everyone who was with me on this in the lead up to the tournament seems to be watching the match like nothing is wrong. We laughed at Labour MPs who said they were "boycotting" the event by watching it at home rather than accepting freebie tickets and now everyone is acting just like them. It's infuriating.

It's not an unfair point. But at the same time I don't really think watching on the BBC is rewarding anyone. FIFA get the same in TV rights money regardless of if 2 people or 2 million watch.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Prole posted:

Everyone has to decide for themselves what they're willing to tolerate.
I'm a football fan, but won't intentionally watch a minute of it. I can't tell anyone else what to do.
poo poo, you can't even reliably tell people to vote for industrial action that could lead to better pay or working conditions, so asking them not to watch something that might help them relax at the end of the day is quite a lot. (Not that I ever find watching England relaxing, but different issue.)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Torn between wanting to enjoy England getting pumped and boycotting due to horrible human rights.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

We can at least take comfort in the fact this tournament is going to be
A) unwanted and poo poo
B) embarrassing and cringe
C) a huge self own for FIFA and Qatar

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Convex posted:

Is there another kind?

There are cunts who are not Nazis, yes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

It's not an unfair point. But at the same time I don't really think watching on the BBC is rewarding anyone. FIFA get the same in TV rights money regardless of if 2 people or 2 million watch.
If only two people watched it, they'd not get the same money next time.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Well our heating bill's up to £3 already today after turning the boiler and thermostat down, i promise you sitting here in the cold is not out of ignorance it's out of not wanting to loving bankrupt myself.

It's 15.5C in my house. The heating has just kicked on for the first time since yesterday, and it'll go off in 30 minutes. My house is really poorly insulated but it is a mid-terrace. I wish all these people accusing others of performative coldness would give it a go for a month and see how they cope.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1594392173654540288

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
A friend of mine was telling me some relative of hers needs to apply for Universal Credit, but she wasn't sure how this works since said relative has been occasionally sending money back to the home country. Would the UC people frown upon such things? They probably would, right?

Is there any solution that would allow for the relative to apply for UC and also occasionally send money abroad when they can? Or is this like turbo illegal, or will they get sanctioned and lose the UC, or how does it work

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

UC cares about income, not your spending. If you want to spend your £83 a week sending it abroad, thats up to you. If you are receiving income from abroad, however...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Lmao I'd forgotten that Sunak was PM until watching that football song on the last page. I'm not sure how long ago it was Truss, my best guess is a thousand thousand years.

e: It has been 26 days.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 20, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That's why smart people use Literotica instead. :forkbomb:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I didn't know Neil Parish was a lawyer?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nothingtoseehere posted:

UC cares about income, not your spending. If you want to spend your £83 a week sending it abroad, thats up to you. If you are receiving income from abroad, however...

Good to know, cheers! :cheers:

In other news, Brexit still isn't sorted, unsurprisingly. Now they might do some kind of trade deal with the EU... except all the other tories are against any deal at all, of course. :brexit:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nenonen posted:

I didn't know Neil Parish was a lawyer?

Looks like Melon Husk to me.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Looks like Melon Husk to me.

Hah that was my first thought too.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Interesting that the red team have started talking about democratic reform through abolition of the house of lords as it currently stands. Or sits.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63692981
I'd heard that accession to the EU requires states to meet a minimum standard of democracy which the Westminster system doesn't meet. Apparently the EU aren't that fond of unelected elites and bureaucrats either.
So this could be a good thing for several reasons. It paves the way for any future de-brexiting, highlights what a fuckup ye olde and anciente Westminster system actually is so we can improve it and gets shites like Iain McNicol out of their sinecures. Plus if they use the same opportunity to move the second chamber out to Birmingham or somewhere, it'll give them a chance of refitting the building before the wiring gives up.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If you believe Starmer will actually get rid of the lords I have some magic beans to sell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Labour also uses the house of lords for all the same things the tories do, so I don't really see them abolishing it.

Also, like, I don't think the lords is actually a problem with the UK? It is generally less stupid than the elected politicians, so replacing it with more elected politicians does not seem like it would make things better? Like yes at some point if you were building the ideal UK you would want to get rid of it, but in terms of actual problems in my lifetime I do not think the lords has caused any of them.