Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
They should have added a suspenders slot to replace belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I assume belts had their own models, did they get rolled into another piece from the same set?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I assume belts had their own models, did they get rolled into another piece from the same set?

They did not have models. I think they did in 1.0? but not in ARR

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they had no models

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Well good riddance then

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They did not have models. I think they did in 1.0? but not in ARR

The 2 things I miss most from 1.0: Belts with models and miqo'te butts

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Fun fact, a lot of arr gear has indents for the belt models as they are legacy from 1.0

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, belts had models in 1.0, didn't from ARR onwards. It's one of the main reasons they were cut, every other piece of gear displays on your character except belts, although stuff like necklaces and bracelets probably get covered up by other gear more often than not.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Leal posted:

The 2 things I miss most from 1.0: Belts with models and miqo'te butts

They had to nerf female miqo’te to match the men.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The belt models got baked into various other gear pieces. A simple example is the plundered cuirass from the first few dungeons.

In 1.0 the plated belt would've been its own model tied to the belt (obviously) and could've been mixed and matched with other chest pieces.

Care for a heavy leather belt and pouch with your lingerie, anyone? (Its so hard to find decent screenshots of people not wearing endgame AF in 1.0 lol)

The cat butts weren't even that much better in 1.0, so I never understand the big deal people make.

ARR Left, 1.0 right

Veotax posted:

stuff like necklaces and bracelets probably get covered up by other gear more often than not.

One of the biggest reason I got into FFXIV modding is so I could quietly go in and flip meta tags on gear to stop them from hiding jewelry. For example on my main GNB Glam, the chest piece and gloves are supposed to hide rings and necklaces, but the ones I wear look fine with them! Granted some other necklaces would definitely clip badly with the allegiance coat, so I understand why they did it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 20, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What the Calamity truly changed in us.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

There's a Roegadyn near Costa Del Sol who has a big fancy belt around his Riveria clothing. I think he's not far from Curious Gorge. That's the one that stands out to me as a look players can't get. I like the idea of visual belts SOMETIMES but I'm glad they were invisible and now gone, tbh, though I do sometimes wish I could separate certain parts of chestpieces and add them to other tops, like the bottom half of the male Viera starting gear as an example.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HackensackBackpack posted:

There's a Roegadyn near Costa Del Sol who has a big fancy belt around his Riveria clothing. I think he's not far from Curious Gorge. That's the one that stands out to me as a look players can't get. I like the idea of visual belts SOMETIMES but I'm glad they were invisible and now gone, tbh, though I do sometimes wish I could separate certain parts of chestpieces and add them to other tops, like the bottom half of the male Viera starting gear as an example.

It would be nice to have Squall's jacket without the flap on the bottom or give my cat the big fluffy tail from the Grand Cosmos sets no matter what chestpiece I'm wearing.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Reminds me of the werewolf controversy on Halloween because the tail is part of the chestpiece and not the pants.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The cat butts weren't even that much better in 1.0, so I never understand the big deal people make.

ARR Left, 1.0 right

As a catte butte appreciator, I

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

everyone shut the gently caress up

i caught every fish in the game

100% fishing log completion

im free until 6.3

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

But what did it cost?

(Really, though, congrats!)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

everyone shut the gently caress up

i caught every fish in the game

100% fishing log completion

im free until 6.3

Ay 2 in as many days!

Also that 1.0 cat butt is clearly superior. The cost of 2.0 was higher than I thought

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
graphics overhaul better bring back the butt slider

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sam 60-70 class quest is pretty cool and I really like samurai drama and I dig more Musosai lore, anything that reminds me of how good Sam 50-60 is but it's a shame I only half-agree with the outcome and choosing to preserve the system! Between the Bakufu and the Monetarists there's quite a few systems to want to rip out by the roots.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Truga posted:

I would unironically kill for a butt slider. My WoL deserves a fat rear end

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Doomykins posted:

Sam 60-70 class quest is pretty cool and I really like samurai drama and I dig more Musosai lore, anything that reminds me of how good Sam 50-60 is but it's a shame I only half-agree with the outcome and choosing to preserve the system! Between the Bakufu and the Monetarists there's quite a few systems to want to rip out by the roots.

That's okay. Given that Hingashi is pretty 1:1 with Japanese history that means eventually the Bakufu will be overthrown and replaced with...*checks notes* The Empire of Japan.

Oh.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Truga posted:

Oh we getting a graphics overhaul? Apparently picked a good time to jump back in.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

Oh we getting a graphics overhaul? Apparently picked a good time to jump back in.

Oh friend

https://www.fanbyte.com/games/news/ffxiv-graphics-update-7-screenshots-preview-textures-shadows-lighting-shaders/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Black Griffon posted:

Someone post the realistic picture of Generic McMeteorsurvivor

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Black Griffon posted:

In 7.0

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Arist posted:

Someone post the realistic picture of Generic McMeteorsurvivor

Note the dev team thought this was a little too far, for those who don't know. This is what we are getting, or along these lines

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 20, 2022

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I had the bright idea to leave leveling all of my tanks for last because by then I'll know the dungeons enough to have less tankxiety and the queues will fly by.

Turns out it was not so bright, now every other class is 80 or 90 and I'm getting pretty bored running the same dungeon enough to level out 4 times over.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Note the dev team thought this was a little too far, for those who don't know. This is what we are getting, or along these lines

Oh that's not bad. What originally pointed me back to XIV was trying WoW for the first time in a decade and I won't deny that even the current graphics are what lead me to invest in this instead. Also the game is better.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

After a short stress break, Stormblood LP returns with more Au Ra goodness!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Tanking makes me too self-concious! I've been running DPS like a little leech most of my MMO days so the warrior is a bit of a change. I'm not really having trouble with the process of tanking, but I feel like it's down to me to run and pull in dungeons, and, as I'm wont to say, I haven't played any of them in years and I didn't really have it down back then either. Is it just down to practice or are there guides to optimal running out there?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tanking normal dungeons guide:

1) press forward on your control method of choice
2) hit aoe button (buttons, if you have the second part of your aoe combo)
3) after 2 packs, stop running. Repeat 2
4) press mitigation buttons 1 by 1 until group is dead

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Tanking normal dungeons guide:

1) press forward on your control method of choice
2) hit aoe button (buttons, if you have the second part of your aoe combo)
3) after 2 packs, stop running. Repeat 2

Genuinely helps. Thanks!

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
note: the healer may ask at step 3 to keep going, or you'll see them ahead of you

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i find that screaming RAAAAAAAHH while performing step 1 also helps

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The rhythm can be slightly different depending on the age of the dungeons you're running. Early-level dungeons from ARR tend to have fewer hard walls and will often throw more mobs at you than you can clear at once, often from packs you don't have to actually kill; the first room of Aurum Vale, where there are about a trillion guys and you really only need to get a clear path to the next room, is the big example. When people say "pull to the wall," they really mean it for modern dungeons that will reliably only have two packs between barriers. For early dungeons, pulling two packs is much more reliable than pulling to the wall, because "to the wall" could be way, way too big.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Conversely, please don't only pull two packs at a time in Amdapor Keep or Wanderer's Palace; you can do, like, four or five without breaking a sweat there.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

This is the most important part. You always want to have some mitigation active.
A tank taking a constant amount of reduced damage is infinitely easier to heal than a tank that takes no damage for 15 seconds and then full damage for the rest of the fight.

Also use your invuln proactively, don't save it for "emergencies" that might never happen.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

OP I want you to know all these people are trying to make you overthink it. Do not fall for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Look, I'm just saying, last night I listened to an FC-mate live-chat through five wipes on the first room of Aurum Vale because the tank refused to not pull everything. Sometimes "pull it all to the wall" is a problem!