Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was kinda bizarre for the longest time how they were okay with Kenpachi, who just feels like a hosed up parody of Goku and whose special skill is “i hit the guy real good, idk what a bankai is” but then it turned out that he was just old school Soul Society and probably a slightly better person then them because somehow I can’t believe they’d just adopt a sword kid stand without knowing it would make them strong enough to square up with meteors eventually.

Speaking of, I think Yachiru is probably the most supportive zanpakto, she’s just really happy when her dad/wielder is loving this poo poo, win or lose. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
If that's the original 13 from 1,000 years ago and the only two left living are Unohana and Yamamoto what on earth happened to the other 11 where even the oldest captains don't seem to have any connection to them? Are we going to get some new arc out of nowhere from 800 years ago where the rest of them were wiped out?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just figured Some Bullshit happened throughout the years and Unohana/Yamamoto were the only ones hard enough to survive. A lot of poo poo went down because of Aizen, Aizen, Aizen yet again, and the Quncies just during the series, but a thousand years is long enough for most of them to have went up against weird anomalies.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think a few of them died to the first sternritters the rest just made poor decisions over the centuries.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I assume some might be related to the nobles, like the Kuchiki family. Considering Byakuya's grandpa was also a Captain.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

I just figured Some Bullshit happened throughout the years and Unohana/Yamamoto were the only ones hard enough to survive. A lot of poo poo went down because of Aizen, Aizen, Aizen yet again, and the Quncies just during the series, but a thousand years is long enough for most of them to have went up against weird anomalies.
Aizen didn't start messing around until the Vizards 100 years before Bleach. People in soul society can live hundreds to thousands of years. The more you think about the timeline the more confusing it just ends up being. Renji is supposed to be like 150 years old and he's considered a young up and comer, Sunshui should be around a thousand years old which means he would've been like, a kid when the original quincy war started but I don't recall him really mentioning it at all

Hiyori was at vice-captain level 100 years ago but still looks younger than Rukia who's only 150~ years old but looks noticeably older after a couple year time skip

None of the soul society ages make any kind of since, it's like time stood still until Ichigo showed up

I think Kubo was just designing characters and not thinking about the lore of his story

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 19, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

Aizen didn't start messing around until the Vizards 100 years before Bleach. People in soul society can live hundreds to thousands of years. The more you think about the timeline the more confusing it just ends up being. Renji is supposed to be like 150 years old and he's considered a young up and comer, Sunshui should be around a thousand years old which means he would've been like, a kid when the original quincy war started but I don't recall him really mentioning it at all

Nah, I meant more that Aizen’s bullshit caused the departure of god knows how many vice captains and a few captains to for whatever reason (turned into arcanarr, framed by Aizen for crimes, wanted to kill Aizen and played the long con) in a relatively short timeframe but 1000 is enough time for a normal human with high spiritual pressure like Ichigo to just become a super strong hollow and take a captain down with him a few dozen times.

But yeah, the real takeaway is that you should just never think too hard about anything and enjoy the little character moments like Orihime making ishida his own changing room to protect his chastity or Ichigo kicking a man out of his window and Orihime holding it open so it doesn’t break.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yhwach said that the original Gotei 13 was a lot more ruthless and stronger than the current one, but that doesn't mean that he or his sternritters didn't take a few or most of them down back then, albeit with considerably more struggle.

If it was composed mostly of criminals there's also the chance that they teamed up to take down a common enemy in the quincies, and then went back to being at each others' throat till eventually only Yamamoto and Unohana survived.

Or they were sent down to eternal forced labor prison. Or cut into pieces and used as a linchpin for Yamamoto's bed table. Soul Society is just a really lovely place ok, a lot could have happened.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, I meant more that Aizen’s bullshit caused the departure of god knows how many vice captains and a few captains to for whatever reason (turned into arcanarr, framed by Aizen for crimes, wanted to kill Aizen and played the long con) in a relatively short timeframe but 1000 is enough time for a normal human with high spiritual pressure like Ichigo to just become a super strong hollow and take a captain down with him a few dozen times.

But yeah, the real takeaway is that you should just never think too hard about anything and enjoy the little character moments like Orihime making ishida his own changing room to protect his chastity or Ichigo kicking a man out of his window and Orihime holding it open so it doesn’t break.
The definite takeaway is don't think about it too hard because there was that one guy in the Menos forest that reminded people a lot of Ichigo and apparently had little to no relation to him and is apparently stuck in the forest forever. I remember theories at the time thinking that he could've been related to Ichigo's family before we learned that he was just the son of a Quincy and a Soul Reaper

And then it turns out that Ishida and Ichigo are drat near first cousins

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really I’m just happy it means Ishida and Orihime are in-laws, he always got along her better than he does with most people without it feeling like a romantic rival thing so it’s cute that they’re actually cousins now. :3:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Last Celebration posted:

Really I’m just happy it means Ishida and Orihime are in-laws, he always got along her better than he does with most people without it feeling like a romantic rival thing so it’s cute that they’re actually cousins now. :3:
Not exactly, Ichigo's mom was adopted into Ishida's side of the family iirc and the original plan for the Quincies was for Ichigo's mother and Ishida's father to marry to keep the quincy bloodline going because they were the two pure quincy families left at the time

I say at the time because in the last arc there are apparently 26+ quincies and mooks that were just hiding somewhere and Ishida's family were going to commit to inbreeding or something, except Ishida's father knew all these other quincies existed and just never mentioned it

You know what, Kubo just never thought about any of this plot he just wanted to design characters, costumes, and get some of his favorite bands to do music for his anime

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m still unsure of if the quincies in the vandenreicb were frozen in time or not while YWACH was recovering. Neither answer fully makes sense.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I assume some might be related to the nobles, like the Kuchiki family. Considering Byakuya's grandpa was also a Captain.

I'm just going to headcanon that hat guy near the top right is a Shiba, orange scarf in the middle is a Shihōin, and glasses guy to the right of Yama (the one with the long face, not the one with the grill) is Byakuya's great-great-grandpa

I assume nobody in that picture died of ghost old age.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

None of them even look like Squad 0 members which canonically basically built soul society

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean one Squad 0 member was recruited like 100 years ago. The one who Urahara replaced.

I assume the guy who made the first Zanpakuto and the Monk were around before the Gotei 13 existed but the others probably came around after.

The pompadour dude migbt be Unohana's teacher in healing arts? And the other one seems to have history with Mayuri.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

None of them even look like Squad 0 members which canonically basically built soul society

soul society is a million years old. the gotei 13 is only a thousand or so.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This implies the nobles only formed a centralized government and standing army while China was figuring out gunpowder. I can only imagine before then it was like an unholy mixture of the warring states period and modern somalia

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

The afterlife was huge and chaotic because people from all over the world with wildly different cultures and languages were dying then reincarnating into it while having to survive hollows and random weirdos. The nobles became nobles by separating the afterlife into different areas like Soul Society and Reverse London, and then they installed the Gotei Thirteen to be their thugs and keep them in power.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite that teaser page reverse london does not seem to be in any way part of the afterlife.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
One year is Soul Society is actually different to one year in the real world, because the afterlife takes longer to circle the ghost of a past sun than the planet does. How much longer? Who loving knows :shrug: It's longer though, so more time for ghost people to ghost age and ghost die to be sent to the double death afterlife and/or Hell without it seeming weird when orgnaized along a human timeframe.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought ghost people reincarnated into flesh people?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Last Celebration posted:

I thought ghost people reincarnated into flesh people?

Time is a weird soup, so it works out somehow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as the original arc in the manga was some 200 chapters have they said anything about when/if they're going to take a break?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as the original arc in the manga was some 200 chapters have they said anything about when/if they're going to take a break?

Four cours of 13 episodes with some time between them, guessing a season or two

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

tsob posted:

I mean, there is an old, bald guy there that just looks like an old, bald guy with nothing else of note about him; at least visibly. There's also what looks like a middle manager from some office tucked in the back between Yamamoto and Unohana's sleeve. He looks like his bankai would be named "Approved...mandatory overtime!" or something.

Jujutsu Kaisen showed that basing your magic around working overtime is extremely powerful.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I’m still unsure of if the quincies in the vandenreicb were frozen in time or not while YWACH was recovering. Neither answer fully makes sense.

Probably laying low after the Gotei 13 went around wiping out any survivors of the first Blood War. Not really a good idea to be out in the open if you're a known target to Yamamoto.

The Kurosaki and Ishida families were probably left out by virtue of being irrelevant to Yama

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What's up with Mayuri's longass coke-nail? I bet he gets away with his Crimes Against Humanity cause he slings the best crystal this side of the Seireitei and old man Yammy likes his brain as fried as his bankai :okpos:

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Opening scene rules.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was some rad music.

I choose to believe ancient twintail captain just constantly slices one of them off whenever she lifts her sword off her shoulder.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 21, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bleach rules

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Taking a moment to appreciate the music in this as well.

Shiro Sagisu has been knocking these soundtracks out of the goddamn park recently.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like how they bring back music from the previous series like the song that played when Ichigo was freaking out about everyone dying.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1_SxqGz6QI

OK these guys are absolutely coming back in the Hell arc unless Kubo is a super troll.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I really hope we see more of them somehow, the designs are super good. But he does seem to just love designing characters, so I'm not gonna let myself get too excited over these dudes. I'm sure they'll appear in one of the Bleach mobile games eventually if nothing else. It's a shame he doesn't do more collabs with stuff, he did the lead character design for the 2019 Sakura Wars game, but all the designs were so grounded it didn't feel especially like his stuff. Get me a Bleach: Thousand Year Blood Warriors game by Koei though, let me chop up Quincy footsoldiers.

As far as episode seven goes, the extra scenes for the anime are all amazing. The old Gotei 13 just pushing in the Quincy's poo poo while being framed as the villains is awesome. Sasakibe hiding in a pile of corpses and stabbing YWACH in the back because he's so focused on Yamamoto being terrifying is dope. Truly a gang of thugs.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I like the extra scene's implication that Yhwach is either a tactical genius (or petty af depending on how you read it) for sending his Sternritters after Sasakibe first

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sasikibes remark about doing what Yamamoto couldn't as his number 2 certainly reads a lot different now

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Interesting detail that someone pointed out about the episode: Apparently Ichigo used Sonido when he rushed over to Byakuya. The Sternritter comment that his reiatsu vanished, and the sound he made was a boom.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Even if it was mostly in stills getting to see the original Gotei 13 cut loose was awesome. Really all the little additions we're getting here and there like Ichigo's extended fight with Yhwach, or the new context that Sasakibe directly contributed to Yhwach's original defeat making his death being used to kick off the second war a long served dish of personal revenge from Yhwach to Yamamoto are great. Also glad it seems like they're finally allowed to adapt the manga uncensored and we're getting limbs and bodies chopped up every which way. I wonder if Kukaku will still have her anime-exclusive wooden prosthetic arm or not.

We've beat it to death itt but drat it is so dumb that Byakuya doesn't stay dead. It's such a perfectly scripted death and him asking Ichigo to protect Soul Society in his stead brings his character full circle.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 22, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sydin posted:

Even if it was mostly in stills getting to see the original Gotei 13 cut loose was awesome. Really all the little additions we're getting here and there like Ichigo's extended fight with Yhwach, or the new context that Sasakibe directly contributed to Yhwach's original defeat making his death being used to kick off the second war a long served dish of personal revenge from Yhwach to Yamamoto are great. Also glad it seems like they're finally allowed to adapt the manga uncensored and we're getting limbs and bodies chopped up every which way. I wonder if Kukaku will still have her anime-exclusive wooden prosthetic arm or not.

We've beat it to death itt but drat it is so dumb that Byakuya doesn't stay dead. It's such a perfectly scripted death and him asking Ichigo to protect Soul Society in his stead brings his character full circle.

Wait, what? Why? Freaking One Piece debuts with a guy who got his arm bitten off, why did they ever feel the need to give Kukaku a prosthetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sydin posted:

Holding out hope that they change that (and...other things) for the anime.