Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

Monkey's paw option: Generation X uses the BOTW engine and borrows a few Zelda writers to populate the world with dense lengthy sidequest chains but all pokemon you capture are subject to the item decay mechanic

You haven’t pet or brushed your Pokémon in a while and now they’re bitter about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Iono is a character from Splatoon that got turned into a human and dropped into Paldea

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I caught a shiny Psyduck! But shiny Golduck isn't nearly as striking so I might just not evolve him...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I will never not be hosed up by Psyduck not being psychic type.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I will never not be hosed up by Psyduck not being psychic type.

Got some good news for you this gen then...

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

any tips for a good False Swipe mon? i used to use Breloom but that was probably like three gens back and i haven't found a Shroomish yet anyway

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
background spoilers I guess? love the Paldean lore you get from the history class about the country being ruled by an empire that start collapsing when the last emperor just started sending people into the crater en masse to find some kind of treasure he was totally convinced was there

"maybe if we throw enough people into the crater their corpses will make a staircase to the bottom!" - this guy, probably

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do Pokémon you get via trades still earn extra xp?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Malmesbury Monster posted:

any tips for a good False Swipe mon? i used to use Breloom but that was probably like three gens back and i haven't found a Shroomish yet anyway

Just throw a pokeball at them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

scyther gets false swipe and technician. and if you try real hard you can tera normal it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

oddium posted:

scyther gets false swipe and technician. and if you try real hard you can tera normal it

....define "try real hard"

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

My brain keeps telling me that the first DLC area is going to be in the suspicious bordered off zone in the northeast of the map and that’s where they’re keeping all the extra clothes and poo poo. But my brain also says no way they make the first DLC a field trip to Kalos since that’s what would be there

Bombirdier is a whole rear end in a top hat for throwing those rocks down the mountain

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

wizard2 posted:

The Tera Scyther in South Province Area 4 is always Tera Normal type

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

Personally I prefer it without voice acting. Adding voice acting just means i'll play the game with the sound on a lot less. I get that I'm the weird one for finding it intrusive though, games have long since moved past my personal preferences on that front.

If nothing else, having litte personalized bleep bloops while characters are talking like the Zelda games, or Undertale/Deltarune, or anyone other old-school RPG would go a long way towards making up for a lack of voice acting, as opposed to the absolute nothing we currently have.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every animation going into in and out of battle was way way more sluggish in PLA. Not to mention the combat just worse overall. You're crazy
the animations for stuff may have been slower but PLA feels faster because the UI is more fluid. Having the ability to scroll through the rest of your team and using the trigger to throw out their pokeball feels faster than menu-ing it

also you could swap without losing your turn unless the opponent was much faster, which was nice, if OP

also also tying both attack stats and defense stats together meant when things like ancientpower procced, it didnt take as long (i love serene grace dunsparce, but i also hate it a little bit. please just say all stats raised please i am begging u)

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kaliedoscope posted:

If nothing else, having litte personalized bleep bloops while characters are talking like the Zelda games, or Undertale/Deltarune, or anyone other old-school RPG would go a long way towards making up for a lack of voice acting, as opposed to the absolute nothing we currently have.

I'd definitely enjoy that, yeah. Like animal crossing sounds!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaziken386 posted:

the animations for stuff may have been slower but PLA feels faster because the UI is more fluid. Having the ability to scroll through the rest of your team and using the trigger to throw out their pokeball feels faster than menu-ing it

also you could swap without losing your turn unless the opponent was much faster, which was nice, if OP

also also tying both attack stats and defense stats together meant when things like ancientpower procced, it didnt take as long (i love serene grace dunsparce, but i also hate it a little bit. please just say all stats raised please i am begging u)

drat you're right, PLA's mechanical changes were dogshit and it wasn't actually faster.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I dunno I was playing SwSh last week and this game feels way swifter than that. I suppose it didn't occur to me to compare it with Arceus cuz I did so little battling in Arceus.

Gonna evolve my primeape, gonna get him so mad he dies. Gonna call him Robin.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

drat you're right, PLA's mechanical changes were dogshit and it wasn't actually faster.

What the... why, that's not what their post said at all!!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah I hate anytime a stat change happens if it hits multiple stats.

I don't know if Arceus was faster or not, Arceus managed to make traversal feel far more interesting. The maps here feel boring as hell, no real interesting terrain or secrets to find, at least thus far. As well the wild pokemon don't really feel threatening or as if they're barring the way. If anything the ones I hate the most are the tiny ones you can't loving see because you trip all over them constantly, very annoying.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The auto battle thing is so funny. I just wander into an area that has a huge mob of Pokemon, and then this little duck baby just goes loving hog wild and murders EVERYTHING while you just stand there

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Please don't step on the Pokemon, they're not doing anything wrong.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Asked the pokecenter where to go, said to head to the fighting star base

I have no idea how to actually get there :negative:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The entrance of Clive almost made me pee my pants

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Asked the pokecenter where to go, said to head to the fighting star base

I have no idea how to actually get there :negative:

y is the map

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Eimi posted:

Yeah I hate anytime a stat change happens if it hits multiple stats.

I don't know if Arceus was faster or not, Arceus managed to make traversal feel far more interesting. The maps here feel boring as hell, no real interesting terrain or secrets to find, at least thus far. As well the wild pokemon don't really feel threatening or as if they're barring the way. If anything the ones I hate the most are the tiny ones you can't loving see because you trip all over them constantly, very annoying.

I've been having a great time running all over the place and finding items and TMs hidden and tera pokemon and stuff. This is one of those moments that really brings home how different tastes can be.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

HopperUK posted:

I've been having a great time running all over the place and finding items and TMs hidden and tera pokemon and stuff. This is one of those moments that really brings home how different tastes can be.

Especially once you upgrade your mount, it's a blast exploring the map

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HopperUK posted:

Heh, I'm purposefully avoiding using the tera mechanic because I hate it. :v: wandering from shiny to shiny can give some dopamine but only if I have to think on how to get there and I haven't really thus far. But I am mentally comparing it to Genshin (in terms of just shoveling dopamine into your brain by collecting poo poo) and Elden Ring (the one good open world game) so you know probably unfair.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my only issue with terra is how long the animations are but that's the case for lots of stuff in pokemon really

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

oddium posted:

y is the map

I dunno y IS the map?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Macaluso posted:

I dunno y IS the map?

Wynaut

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Macaluso posted:

The auto battle thing is so funny. I just wander into an area that has a huge mob of Pokemon, and then this little duck baby just goes loving hog wild and murders EVERYTHING while you just stand there
https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1593806773353578497

the urge to murder cannot be contained

IronicDongz posted:

my only issue with terra is how long the animations are but that's the case for lots of stuff in pokemon really
my only issue with tera-type is that there's not a lot of reason to use it outside of gyms, and also if your pokemon has an unusual tera type then you probably aren't even getting extra STAB out of it, so why would I want to burn my ONE USE of it until the next poke-center? The only non-default one I've got with good synergy is a Lokix with Fighting-type.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
idk if there's a dedicated scarlet/violet thread but like. y'all be real with me. is the game worth getting rn? because i am hearing some poo poo about it, but at the same time, some friends of mine are having a good time and it makes me a little torn.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Eimi posted:

I don't know if Arceus was faster or not, Arceus managed to make traversal feel far more interesting. The maps here feel boring as hell, no real interesting terrain or secrets to find, at least thus far.

youre absoluteoulty out of your loving mind lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

walk up to the tutorial pokemon centre again like you did at the start, turn 180 degrees around and walk and see what u find. might surprise you. or just exit east out of the main city immediately into a mesa maze w tms (and something else???) hidden everywhere w lots of verticality.

meanwhile every arceus zone in the first 10 hours was a flat empty mess with the same pokemon repeated forever

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Did they like bump up the shiny rate? I've caught 2 so far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

Did they like bump up the shiny rate? I've caught 2 so far.

Its the same but there's just a lot more spawns

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/StarLoveDeluxe/status/1594491710004166661?s=20&t=qEt4-fMq_gqnUkcokPGxSw

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

barclayed posted:

idk if there's a dedicated scarlet/violet thread but like. y'all be real with me. is the game worth getting rn? because i am hearing some poo poo about it, but at the same time, some friends of mine are having a good time and it makes me a little torn.

three steps forward, two steps back, makes ppl angry

pretty standard Pokemon mainline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

wizard2 posted:

ROFL Octopus posted:

The Tera Scyther in South Province Area 4 is always Tera Normal type

You can also get a free Normal Tera swap by going to the Treasure Eatery in Medali after beating the gym and talking to the chef about changing Tera types, and they'll give you 50 Normal Tera shards to try it out