Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

PhazonLink posted:

a ton of people are stupid as gently caress with their own personal banking and finances and dont know how to not rack up or cancel auto renewing monthly expenses.

hell there's a fin tech app where you give it access to your other banking and fin tech apps and then it will analyze your monthly expenses and tell you which ones to cancel.

I howled my balls off the first time I saw that. Like how basic are you that you sign up for so much poo poo that you can't keep track of it all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mal-3 posted:

I think Big Melon might be actually mad that Trump hasn't immediately rushed back to Twitter after the great unbannening.

Like I said, the real power move would be Trump deleting his account.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hope trump gets up in the night to go post on twitter and in his haste he trips on his flapping open dressing gown and falls down the stairs and cracks his skull open on some gold plated tacky poo poo of his and finally humanity can be free of his god drat bullshit

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PhazonLink posted:

a ton of people are stupid as gently caress with their own personal banking and finances and dont know how to not rack up or cancel auto renewing monthly expenses.

hell there's a fin tech app where you give it access to your other banking and fin tech apps and then it will analyze your monthly expenses and tell you which ones to cancel.

There was a screenshot when the checkmarks were rolling out that it wasn't renewed automatically which would be hilarious if true

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

If 2FA is still hosed, I doubt Trump can log in even if he wanted to

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

fuctifino posted:

In a stopped clock moment, Elmo may have actually posted a funny tweet
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1594470952187805696

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:five:

I hope everybody tweets this picture back at him

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

nodejs/npm etc..

this is from a while back.. but i think there are things that need to be clarified in this post. twitter itself has never used nodejs heavily as part of their backend and while i'm sure it's used inside of twitter, i doubt it is used that much and unlikely to be anything that's mission critical to twitter. as an outsider looking in, as far as i can tell, after they split off from rails they've been heavily using scala, and more recently rust on their backend. also, calling nodejs a javascript framework is not really correct. this is a bit of pedantry on my part i'll admit, but no one i know would call it that.

npm, especially after the whole leftpad issue, is very stable and most of those issues people like to point to happened years ago back in 2016. holding opinions like it's the "groverhaus of software development" sounds dated.

related to this thread though. the way npm handles packages and having to update them: none of that stuff matters any more than updating the package managers for python or rust or scala will affect their day to day. most companies don't immediately update their packages specifically because of the hassle of updating to new versions when the current one already works well. and they have policies using package lock files to enforce that. you will always run into problems with package managers but that's just one of the complexities you run into as a developer. you're paid to deal with that because no one has yet to find a simpler solution. any complaints about npm can be levied on any other package manager. just read about any exploits against one of the python managers, pip, and rubygems.

which is to say, npm will not be the cause of issues, neither will any other package managers. unless there is a huge exploit that needs to be immediately addressed, not updating these to the latest version is not going to be the deathknell of twitter. you're going to run into more problems with the code that was written for twitter long before you have problems with the packages they're using from other developers. like if twitter actually survives say.. 2 more years then yes i'm sure people will be looking into this issue.

and any large companies that use npm also mitigate any issues but running their own package manager service so they're unaffected by the issues that leftpad caused.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Just deactivated my account although I only used it so I would stop being harassed about getting the app every time I opened it so it's not a real big loss but hey add it to the pile I'm sick of being a part of a moronic billionaire's midlife crisis

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Lol the first 20 or so replies to this are crypto scammers.

https://twitter.com/YorgAtman/status/1594476677916139521

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Someone earlier itt said 2fa is working because they had to use it to request a download of their data.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fuctifino posted:

Yeah the joke that it's all locked behind a whitehouse.gov email and none of Trump's circle has access anymore is so perfect I want it to be true.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Like I said, the real power move would be Trump deleting his account.
This is the one thing I'd respect that bloated wannabe-fascist for.

Beefed Owl posted:

Just deactivated my account although I only used it so I would stop being harassed about getting the app every time I opened it so it's not a real big loss but hey add it to the pile I'm sick of being a part of a moronic billionaire's midlife crisis
Yeah I've got some inactive accounts-- my only fear is that getting rid of them might help stabilize their infrastructure somehow. Oh well I don't know back-end anything so time to take the chance.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe the spaghetti code has 2fa works for some things and not for others?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

fuctifino posted:

:five:

I hope everybody Trump tweets this picture back at him

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Read this poo poo so good

https://twitter.com/KenTremendous/status/1594019059141554177?s=20&t=KPq6nYMhk6BkBtp1GMWW-A

This reply LOL

https://twitter.com/shoutingboy/status/1594033299659243520?s=20&t=KPq6nYMhk6BkBtp1GMWW-A

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1594442017773273088

Elon’s gone full boomer. The far left wing publishing of, ah yes, the New York Times.

Lmao

The NY "Your Friendly Neighborhood Nazi!" Times is the far left, sure buddy

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are the archive requests still stuck and never finishing? Pretty sure the archives are a requirement for GPDR.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My archive request just went through, so maybe the systems aren't completely shut down after all.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mr.Sloth posted:

Lol the first 20 or so replies to this are crypto scammers.

https://twitter.com/YorgAtman/status/1594476677916139521

I made the mistake of clicking a few of Elon's tweets and this is the case with all of them. Just nothing but crypto spammers saying Elon is giving out Eth, BItcoin, or whatever else.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

maybe the spaghetti code has 2fa works for some things and not for others?

pretty sure it was only SMS 2FA that broke, app and yubikey 2FA kept working

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

ymgve posted:

My archive request just went through, so maybe the systems aren't completely shut down after all.

yes how long did it take

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Mx. posted:

yes how long did it take

I requested it on monday

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I wonder if Trump and legal team are not simply pissed that all this evidence has suddenly become available in the public domain exactly when they would want the other side to jump through hoops forcing Musk to hand it over.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I wonder if Trump and legal team are not simply pissed that all this evidence has suddenly become available in the public domain exactly when they would want the other side to jump through hoops forcing Musk to hand it over.

I didn't even think of this. Does a twitter account being suspended hide all its tweets?

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Elon Musk: Mocking female defense ministers one unhappy, crusty meme at a time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao

The NY "Your Friendly Neighborhood Nazi!" Times is the far left, sure buddy

The fact that there's NY/Washington + Post/times and half the combinations are super right wing and half are legitimate news is frustrating because I can never remember which is which

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Unperson_47 posted:

I didn't even think of this. Does a twitter account being suspended hide all its tweets?

yes, that is why everyone on twitter is now quoting trumps greatest hits because they finally can quote them again

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

learnincurve posted:

His tweets? They're all archived in a million different places and freely/easily available to anybody who cares to spend 3 seconds on google, whether the twitter account is suspended or not.

E.g. https://www.thetrumparchive.com

Of course, yes, people can now retweet the funny ones which they couldn't before, but it was never a question of "Wow now all of that legal evidence is gone!" because as mentioned they're archived and everywhere, but also anybody trying to mount legal action could presumably get twitter to hand them over via subpoena and verify that they're real, also?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

learnincurve posted:

https://twitter.com/usnatarchives/status/1348330024420700160?lang=en-GB

rekko
Jul 24, 2022

〜✧・♡・★〜🌟💗・♥・💗🌟〜★・♡・✧〜
❗スゴイ❗

Mx. posted:

yes how long did it take

I did mine on like Tuesday or Wednesday. My slutty Japanese 裏垢 account that I don't use so so much came back yesterday. My actual one still hasn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unperson_47 posted:

It does, yes. All you see is a message stating it belongs to a suspended account that did something naughty and was moderated.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Frank Frank posted:

I’m my experience, tech customers are fickle as gently caress - especially the big boys like DT, AT&T and Comcast. They will absolutely drop your rear end like a bad habit the moment you don’t dot all of the I’s and cross all of the t’s in whatever arcane reporting system they have set up for vendors. Have fun managing that with a skeleton crew that has no working relationship with those organizations. You need these relationships to manage and maintain your mobile app and bandwidth.

If you fail the cursory stuff, then they will demand to send in external ISO/TL9000 auditors and gooooood loving luck if you hit that stage because those are some of the most unhappy, crusty people I’ve ever met and they LIVE to put vendors on closely monitored corrective action plans that result in meetings on top of meetings

Seconding this - I deal with enterprise SaaS clients and they are extremely demanding. They take SLA's extremely seriously, if for no other reason to gently caress you up when it comes to renewal time/negotiations. I have 3 hours of calls with one of them, their legal team, and ours next week for redlines to their contract that we are having to use because apparently the terms that the DoD and Costco agreed to aren't good enough for them.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hows lemon doing today? I havent been paying attention

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Buce posted:

They're starting to dry out but I'll use one for dinner tomorrow and try and figure out what to do with the other two

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

What would annoy Elon the most? I think it would be if the Trump account just became a referral system to Truth Social, posting a url every now and then for what Trump is doing on there.

No text previews, no descriptions, just a stream of links away from Twitter.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Buce posted:

He sure is posting. More and more unhinged right wing babble.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

fuctifino posted:

Dear trump, I wrote you but you still ain’t callin’
I left my cell, my pager, and my failing social media network at the bottom

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Senor Tron posted:

What would annoy Elon the most? I think it would be if the Trump account just became a referral system to Truth Social, posting a url every now and then for what Trump is doing on there.

No text previews, no descriptions, just a stream of links away from Twitter.

But first a few insulting posts about how Twitter is falling apart specifically since Elon fired everyone. Blaming him specifically for it.

And then just Truth Social links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The idea here is to make the NYT tack even further rightwards in so far as there is an idea at all; otherwise it's just an irritable mental gesture because they're upset the NYT probably isn't referring to Chelsea Manning by her dead name or some poo poo.

This poo poo really makes me respect Manning even more