Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

barclayed posted:

idk if there's a dedicated scarlet/violet thread but like. y'all be real with me. is the game worth getting rn? because i am hearing some poo poo about it, but at the same time, some friends of mine are having a good time and it makes me a little torn.

If you can deal with the jank it's one of the best Pokemon games. If you can't, it isn't. It's pretty much that simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
SV is the buggiest, jankiest, most unacceptable game GameFreak has ever released.

And I can’t put it down because it’s so much fun lmao

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

barclayed posted:

idk if there's a dedicated scarlet/violet thread but like. y'all be real with me. is the game worth getting rn? because i am hearing some poo poo about it, but at the same time, some friends of mine are having a good time and it makes me a little torn.
yes, but IMO it seems like physical copies have less glitchiness so get that instead of downloading. (also so you can trade it in or sell it if the glitches are a deal breaker) The game is janky but IMO the pros outweigh the cons.

also i've heard from one of my friends that playing on an original switch instead of one of the newer models makes the fans go just a little bit crazy, so that's something else to consider

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Notty posted:

SV is the buggiest, jankiest, most unacceptable game GameFreak has ever released.

I dunno man does it top code so sloppy it created an entire glitch Pokemon?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Notty posted:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Found a Red-flower Floetta (Fairy type that holds a flower) with Tera type Grass, which I thought was really cool because its Ability makes all Grass allies (intended for doubles battles, obviously) immune to status effects, which now include itself while it's Terastylized. Neat!

Tera transformations are gonna be such a strategic explosion, if this hasn't been made clear enough.

Other interesting tera finds: a Jolly Ice-Tera Charcadet, a male Water-Tera Pichu (future surfing Rai-guy?), a Jolly Steel-Tera Falinks (named 'The Horns' and wearing a Rocky Helmet ATM), among too many others, and I noticed that only one of the Tandemaus wears the Normal-tera diamond ring hat (all the single ladies?)!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
S/V is a moist, delicious cake that got decorated in a 30 second rush before it needed to be out the door.

Still great, big “gently caress it” energy.

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

Never in my life did I think a Pokémon game could contain so many sandwiches! A lot to love in this game if you’re a big fan of sandwiches.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

I dunno man does it top code so sloppy it created an entire glitch Pokemon?

If it did, it would probably easily be the best Pokemon game ever

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lux Animus posted:

Found a Red-flower Floetta (Fairy type that holds a flower) with Tera type Grass, which I thought was really cool because its Ability makes all Grass allies (intended for doubles battles, obviously) immune to status effects, which now include itself while it's Terastylized. Neat!

Tera transformations are gonna be such a strategic explosion, if this hasn't been made clear enough.

Other interesting tera finds: a Jolly Ice-Tera Charcadet, a male Water-Tera Pichu (future surfing Rai-guy?), a Jolly Steel-Tera Falinks (named 'The Horns' and wearing a Rocky Helmet ATM), among too many others, and I noticed that only one of the Tandemaus wears the Normal-tera diamond ring hat (all the single ladies?)!

I got a dragon-Tera wattrel and I don't know if it'll ever be useful but it looks neat.

Found the same Floette! I wonder how randomised the overworld tera spawns are or if they have a chance to appear in the same spots for everyone.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BTW in case anyone was wondering

:siren: SYNCHRONIZE NO LONGER AFFECTS ENCOUNTER NATURES :siren:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Came out of a trainer battle and like five psyducks all standing around going :psyduck:

Feels like they're mocking me

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I see you bud

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

HopperUK posted:

I got a dragon-Tera wattrel and I don't know if it'll ever be useful but it looks neat.

I should take a pic of the Dragon-tera Finneon I caught it looked like I was fighting a western classic winged dragon with a fish-shaped body! I don't know if it looks good on all pokemon but for a first sighting for me it worked really well.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

BTW in case anyone was wondering

:siren: SYNCHRONIZE NO LONGER AFFECTS ENCOUNTER NATURES :siren:
what the gently caress

last gen I finally decided to go ahead and breed a ralts of every nature, and now you're telling me they don't DO ANYTHING?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Blaziken386 posted:

what the gently caress

last gen I finally decided to go ahead and breed a ralts of every nature, and now you're telling me they don't DO ANYTHING?

haha get owned

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Blaziken386 posted:

what the gently caress

I tested it at the zone-in between the school town and the path to the elite 4 with an adamant Kirlia i'd already named 'Adamant' (:mad:), for a complete zone/wipe, and then also verified it from poketubers online

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of like that Team Star is basically just a group of juvenile delinquents, also I think this might be the longest period you’ve gone in a Pokémon game prior to meeting the requisite professor.

I like that Terastallization gives Pokémon little visual changes as well (like a giant lightbulb for Pawmi and a waterspout for Quaxly)

You guys weren’t kidding, Flamigo is a loving beast stat wise (especially early on)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Came out of a trainer battle and like five psyducks all standing around going :psyduck:

Feels like they're mocking me

I like when groups of pokemon casually watch you battle. Or when they panic over it the whole time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Larryb posted:

I kind of like that Team Star is basically just a group of juvenile delinquents, also I think this might be the longest period you’ve gone in a Pokémon game prior to meeting the requisite professor.

I like that Terastallization gives Pokémon little visual changes as well (like a giant lightbulb for Pawmi and a waterspout for Quaxly)

You guys weren’t kidding, Flamigo is a loving beast stat wise (especially early on)

Flamigo looks amazing terastaliized too. Dopey balloon bird. Love him. I called mine Jefferson because of Alice in Wonderland.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Today a Scyther with a tera diamond on its head wiped my entire team. (it was 5+ higher than 5 of them and spammed a boosted double hit move tbf.) I still have no idea what type that was supposed to be. But that's the first time I've lost a pokemon battle outside of online since RBY. Game is pretty good.

Also I got a bunch of great stuff from the raids that I'm excited to use. But they aren't new to this region. So I'm trying to hold off, and enjoy the new guys for a while first. But the tera gimmick is really fun so far.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hrist posted:

Today a Scyther with a tera diamond on its head wiped my entire team. (it was 5+ higher than 5 of them and spammed a boosted double hit move tbf.) I still have no idea what type that was supposed to be. But that's the first time I've lost a pokemon battle outside of online since RBY. Game is pretty good.

Also I got a bunch of great stuff from the raids that I'm excited to use. But they aren't new to this region. So I'm trying to hold off, and enjoy the new guys for a while first. But the tera gimmick is really fun so far.

If it looked like a huge diamond it was probably Normal type.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

If it looked like a huge diamond it was probably Normal type.

That makes sense. I didn't have a single fighting move to try. It also didn't let half my team try a move before one shotting them anyway.

Heliotropical
Jul 19, 2022
I broke sequence a little bit in the game to catch a Girafarig and decided to try and take on the Iron Treads titan. Klawf and Bombirdier weren't any problem for me, so obviously I can take this one as well.

He ran over my entire team with OHKO moves. Fantastic.

One thing that's a bit annoying is that there's no way to change the time of day during the game, not even if you sleep in your bed. For the vast majority of mons it's fine, but when you have to defeat enough Sinisteas to evolve your Charcadet, you have no choice but to wait for nightfall so that they'll start spawning. I have no idea if this takes longer to do when you're inside of towns rather than out in the field, but it's the only time so far in the game where the pace just stops because I have to wait for night to come.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

https://twitter.com/Waffliesinyofac/status/1593806773353578497

the urge to murder cannot be contained

my only issue with tera-type is that there's not a lot of reason to use it outside of gyms, and also if your pokemon has an unusual tera type then you probably aren't even getting extra STAB out of it, so why would I want to burn my ONE USE of it until the next poke-center? The only non-default one I've got with good synergy is a Lokix with Fighting-type.

It seems exclusively designed around pvp where you are going to end up in sticky type matchup situations regularly. In single player yeah why wouldn't you just use a Pokemon with the right type to begin with.

Of course they could make things interesting by making gyms have deep and varied teams so you have to bring a good comp against them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

oddium posted:

y is the map

Yeah, the only ways around it are blocked by mountains it seems.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I've encountered Emilio the neckbeard and now my meta pokemon experience is complete.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Terastallizing is going to be fine and fun in PVP where you can play mindgames and have to try and work around it, but in the singleplayer it just kind of sucks. It doesn't give the same dopamine rush as going Mega or Dynamax or even throwing out a Z-Move.

Oh I get a dumb hat, thanks, awesome. Shame you're going to make me run all the way back to the Pokemon center to recharge it, but thanks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I gotta say, S/V is a bit janky graphically, but I've been on a Gamecube/N64 kick as of late so it doesn't feel super out of place for Mr so I've REALLY been enjoying it.

Not gonna lie though, I was not expecting Clodsire to become my favorite Pokémon design of all time. It just looks so enjoyable to me and it actually has me wanting to learn how to sew so I can make a pillow out of the design.

Edit: anyone got any tips for putting the bread on the sandwiches? Mine always bounces off which, while hilarious, definitely doesn't make a good sandwich.

Though it's better than my first attempt where I didn't realize that each use of an ingredient provides 3 ingredients. So I made a "simple" ham and cheese consisting of 9 pieces of ham and 9 pieces of cheese. Then I hosed up the bread somehow to the point that it disappeared. So in the end I had a large pile of ham and cheese with a toothpick in it.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 21, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm angry the stupid flamingo that just looks like a regular rear end real life flamingo is just absolutely wrecking everything. Him and this Mudbray I caught with Sturdy are barreling over everyone no problem. I just fought the bird titan and the flamingo did a ton of damage while the Mudbray's sturdy made every attack from the titan into a joke.

Where are the mice. I want the mice!!!!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tender Bender posted:

It seems exclusively designed around pvp where you are going to end up in sticky type matchup situations regularly. In single player yeah why wouldn't you just use a Pokemon with the right type to begin with.

Of course they could make things interesting by making gyms have deep and varied teams so you have to bring a good comp against them.

Tera Types themselves are more important than Tetrastallizing. Because Tera Blast can get you coverage that you wouldn't necessarily have otherwise.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Macaluso posted:

I'm angry the stupid flamingo that just looks like a regular rear end real life flamingo is just absolutely wrecking everything. Him and this Mudbray I caught with Sturdy are barreling over everyone no problem. I just fought the bird titan and the flamingo did a ton of damage while the Mudbray's sturdy made every attack from the titan into a joke.

Where are the mice. I want the mice!!!!

They're all over the place on the road to the pokemon league near the school.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

you might find your way if you're a little more creative and explore more. maybe ever thought of that?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Tera Types themselves are more important than Tetrastallizing. Because Tera Blast can get you coverage that you wouldn't necessarily have otherwise.

Tera Blast only gives you that coverage when you Terastallize though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

on the one hand you should absolutely try exploring more

on the other hand,
https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/1594328173654654987

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don’t necessarily think it’ll be great but Steel Avalugg seems a lot of fun

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

Hrist posted:

I know exactly which scyther you're talking about, I made it my mission to catch him after he kicked my rear end right out of the big city.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

So my dog is getting old and her health is starting to fail and what I'm saying is, I wasn't emotionally prepared for all this. It's that drat Stoutland all over again.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t necessarily think it’ll be great but Steel Avalugg seems a lot of fun
oh my god ice pokemon can actually be defensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Vandar posted:

Tera Blast only gives you that coverage when you Terastallize though.

Well drat there goes that then. :eng99: