Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:lmao:

Bunch of IP lawyers are now canceling their Thanksgiving plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Another account posted the full Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift but it got taken down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Another account posted the full Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift but it got taken down

Huh, wouldn’t have guessed twitter had anyone left capable of doing that

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd say "well, he could just shut down Twitter in Germany" but I wonder if he still has people around who know how to do that.

Right now? He does not.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Trump said "nah, I'm not going back" in his usual weird, brain-rotted way.

Twitter replies seem confident - although I haven't seen a source - that Trump can't actually return to the platform due to contractual obligations with Truth Social.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be really funny if some disgruntled twitter engineer got into the database and deleted all of that account’s follows, rendering it worthless even if he logged back in and tweeted

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

haveblue posted:

It would be really funny if some disgruntled twitter engineer got into the database and deleted all of that account’s follows, rendering it worthless even if he logged back in and tweeted

I think they already were deleted, per that AP article

quote:

Shortly afterward Trump’s account, which had earlier appeared as suspended, reappeared on the platform complete with his former tweets, more than 59,000 of them.
His followers were gone, at least initially, but he quickly began regaining them. There were no new tweets from the account as of late Saturday, however.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

Even when Trump was banned from Twitter, his press releases and Truth Social posts would all be immediately reposted to Twitter. Aside from having his extremely dedicated superfans, the entire political world and much of the news media is eagerly hanging on his every word. Having all his followers deleted wouldn't really slow him down at all.

Which is also why I think it's entirely plausible that he's not coming back to Twitter despite his account being unbanned. He doesn't actually need a Twitter account to have a wide reach.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
He basically told elon to gently caress off. Even Trump can smell the stink of failure greater than his own.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

4.4 billion dollars well spent

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not just Tokyo Drift, but I'm pretty sure the entire series was uploaded, because I saw the first film being tweeted on Friday. All 52 tweets of it.

I was talking to if someone really wanted to hurt Twitter with the loose copyright restrictions, they'd upload a Disney property, especially something that's airing on Disney + or even in theaters.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Main Paineframe posted:

Even when Trump was banned from Twitter, his press releases and Truth Social posts would all be immediately reposted to Twitter. Aside from having his extremely dedicated superfans, the entire political world and much of the news media is eagerly hanging on his every word. Having all his followers deleted wouldn't really slow him down at all.

Which is also why I think it's entirely plausible that he's not coming back to Twitter despite his account being unbanned. He doesn't actually need a Twitter account to have a wide reach.

Also Elon himself said there's a chance that Twitter itself goes bankrupt and shuts down. If that's the case, the trumpy Twitter clone would be a direct beneficiary.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

4.4 billion dollars well spent

$44 billion. Dude spent $44 billion to buy Trump's account back for him, and Daddy went "Nah, I'm good." and just kept posting on Truther.

Oh well, at least Elon unbanned the Babylon Bee. So maybe it was?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

It will definitely not be worth it when Twitter fully collapses and neither the Babylon Bee nor Trump nor anyone else is able to post on it ever again

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m worried that elon is going to hire experts to run twitter and it won’t collapse after all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m worried that elon is going to hire experts to run twitter and it won’t collapse after all.

Expertise implies functioning brain cells. Can you imagine having functioning brain cells and also a desire to start working for Twitter right now? Firemen don't run into burning buildings while the arsonist is still throwing gas on them

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

You can find people skilled enough to run Twitter, and you can find people debased enough to work for Elon Musk at Twitter. You cannot find skilled people debased enough to work for Elon Musk at Twitter.

The only way he saves this is if he bows out completely and tosses the keys to someone, anyone, who is not him, and his ego won't let him do it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

The app side is already starting to flake out: on my Android tablet, non-cached images and videos are taking much longer to load, but PC looks like normal.

Also, people are beginning to notice the exodus and when their followers and engagement begin slipping, they'll start looking for where they are going and start planning their own moves.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
I can only imagine the remaining competent people at Twitter, presuming any are still there, are frantically slapping ducttape on things as bits and pieces shake loose and break down, all while Musk just keeps on postin' about postin'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can only imagine the remaining competent people at Twitter, presuming any are still there, are frantically slapping ducttape on things as bits and pieces shake loose and break down, all while Musk just keeps on postin' about postin'.

There's no way trying to get actual work done at Twitter now is not the best way to get Musk screaming at you about whatever cocaine brained ideas he has this time about how you're sabotaging him.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

$44 billion. Dude spent $44 billion to buy Trump's account back for him, and Daddy went "Nah, I'm good." and just kept posting on Truther.

He also unsuspended Kanye today apparently, who then proceeded to post more anti-Semitic garbage

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

haveblue posted:

Expertise implies functioning brain cells. Can you imagine having functioning brain cells and also a desire to start working for Twitter right now? Firemen don't run into burning buildings while the arsonist is still throwing gas on them

$125/hr plus benefits and i'll be a twitter mod

call me, Elon

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I thought world cup was gonna crash twitter this weekend?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Soonmot posted:

I thought world cup was gonna crash twitter this weekend?

so far it seems nobody was excited enough about the Qatar Ecuador game

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There are three games tomorrow, there was only the one today

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Good to know, fingers crossed for hilarity, then

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are three games tomorrow, there was only the one today

And four the day after! I thought it was five but it's just four.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1594582622071820289

Good lord, even loving Trump himself has gotten in on the game of ruthlessly dragging Elon for being a desperate Twitter idiot. Amazing :allears:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Musk reactivated Kanye West, Trump and now Project Veritas. I think he's going to lean in on causing as much strife and chaos as possible and just post that crying with laughter emoji over and over. That's the full extent of his strategy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This will draw in the advertisers, yes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
only the best and most advertiser friendly

https://twitter.com/Cobratate/status/1594527007009800192

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I don't know who that guy is so I clicked the tweet to check the replies and holy poo poo lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Good luck, hope they've fixed the doors by then

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I'm looking at Hive and Mastodon and .Social and I'm reminded once again how after Trump and his cronies got kicked off of Twitter they immediately created a replica of Twitter instead of this leftist response of fracturing into a half dozen websites that are kinda like twitter but not really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I'm looking at Hive and Mastodon and .Social and I'm reminded once again how after Trump and his cronies got kicked off of Twitter they immediately created a replica of Twitter instead of this leftist response of fracturing into a half dozen websites that are kinda like twitter but not really.

It is an omnipresent issue that 'leftist' comprises a massive amount of different groups largely united by the other guys being awful and unified. It is a lot easier to rally behind gently caress You than 'I want things to be different' where different can be somewhere between 'maybe we shouldn't murder gay people' to 'debating if eating the rich alive is ethical'

It is also why fracturing is so much more effective sn attack method.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did they immediately create a replica of Twitter? I remember them fracturing just as much, into Gab and Parler and Truth and Voat and maybe one or two others and all of them have faceplanted by now or at least aren't relevant to The Discourse on nearly the level that Twitter is

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

This is just selective memory.

First off, the right fractured into plenty of sites as well, including several Mastodon instances (of which Truth Social is one). The media just focuses on the one Trump is on.

Second off, all these social media sites aren't a "leftist response", they're just "the response". These Twitter alternatives are being run by people of all types, from capitalist liberals to free-software libertarians.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Yeah, the conservatives have set up Gab, Parler, MeWe, Truth Social, Gettr, and Thinkspot, just to name a few. TruthSocial mostly got momentum thanks to Trump.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ehananoki/status/1594768925807775744?s=20&t=aSu4tRX27qE5FQAwcEphWQ

Musk is definitely committed to making Twitter a hell site. I understand why people are trying to fight this but I don't see how they can win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They can all just ignore twitter until it dies or turns into myspace.