Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

oh my god ice pokemon can actually be defensive

Yeah, drat, I hadn't even considered that. Avalugg is one of my faves, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There should be a SV Remaster, but on the same system lmao

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HD DAD posted:

A classic Pokemon move

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I would die for clodsire

Heliotropical
Jul 19, 2022
Oh god. Imagine if Shedinja was in this game and able to terastallize.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Has anyone played multiplayer yet? If so can you confirm if they really made a multiplayer, open-world pokemon game where you can't actually battle pokemon together outside of raids?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got the game! Stupid snowstorm!

Can Paldean Wooper really get Water Absorb? That’s insanely good. How do you change its ability to the other normal one?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Wheezle posted:

Has anyone played multiplayer yet? If so can you confirm if they really made a multiplayer, open-world pokemon game where you can't actually battle pokemon together outside of raids?

I played it a little while with my sister and had a very good time with it but didn't really try to figure out all the multiplayer features too much. Multiplayer mainly seems to allow you to run around and do your own thing while the other players do the same. You can see the other players running around and battling but the main interaction we tried was joining each others picnics. She was the host but I was still able to go around and make progress on my own playthrough doing things that she had already done. The game even kept track of which trainers we had beaten. I found a trainer she missed her first time through and after beating them she was able to go back and fight them for the first time too. You can both pick up items on the field and terra raids seem to be assigned to one player with others being able to join in via the normal terra matchmaking.

We did encounter a couple of very funny glitches though. We had a picnic and she threw one of the pokeball toys that rolled out of the picnic area and disappeared. After leaving the picnic I discovered that it had rolled down a hill and was still visible but could not be interacted with. Later I was doing a raid battle with some AI allies and she got close to where I had started the raid battle. She sent her Wugtrio out onto the map and it popped up in the middle of the raid battle.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Wheezle posted:

Honestly, I can see why it'd be too much trouble to implement for little gain or purpose. But the rare moments where you can swoop in and save a friend from whiting out would be kinda rad and memorable, so I can also see why you'd want it put in.

The thing weirder to me is that you can't actually interact with your friends in the overworld beyond sharing a physical space. It'd be nice if you could talk to them to request battles and trades directly, or talk to a raid den they've activated to join the fun, rather than needing to go through a menu prompt. Or if you could spectate trainer / gym leader battles, and join them for Titan fights and Starfall raids.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Bee posted:

The thing weirder to me is that you can't actually interact with your friends in the overworld beyond sharing a physical space. It'd be nice if you could talk to them to request battles and trades directly, or talk to a raid den they've activated to join the fun, rather than needing to go through a menu prompt. Or if you could spectate trainer / gym leader battles, and join them for Titan fights and Starfall raids.

Well at least we can show off our fashion choices!

:negative:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i think the one really annoying visual bug I've experienced is that sometimes in clothing stores, your character model just doesn't load. Did you want to know what the socks looked like before buying them? gently caress you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Scholtz posted:

Well at least we can show off our fashion choices!

:negative:

Its weird tbh. Like, objectively, the multiplayer . . . really doesn't have much to it? But there's a simple joy in just running around in a persistent world with friends, even if for everything but wild spawns you're basically in four separate game instances. And if they actually build on this foundation and add some of those more interactive elements to it, Gen 10 might end up something really special.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The Bee posted:

Honestly, I can see why it'd be too much trouble to implement for little gain or purpose. But the rare moments where you can swoop in and save a friend from whiting out would be kinda rad and memorable, so I can also see why you'd want it put in.

See, to me that's not little gain or purpose, but rather would seem to be most of the point of playing together at all. As it stands I can hardly see any point to having multiplayer in the overworld.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Wheezle posted:

See, to me that's not little gain or purpose, but rather would seem to be most of the point of playing together at all. As it stands I can hardly see any point to having multiplayer in the overworld.

it feels kinda tricky to imagine circumstances where battling wild Pokemon together would really be necessary. At most, it'd let you push into areas you couldn't normally handle (which you can already do by avoiding enemies because they all spawn on the overworld) or catch Pokemon you normally wouldn't have access to (which the game already curbs by putting level limits on what Pokemon obey you). In exchange for that, it'd make EXP distribution more complicated, slow down battles even more, and open up room for griefing by having someone join your battle and steal your catches. It'd be rad for static encounters like legendaries and Titans, but for your average wild Pokemon it seems neater in theory than in practice.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

titans wouldve been nice bcos theyre already setup for a multi opponent fight anyway

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

HopperUK posted:

So my dog is getting old and her health is starting to fail and what I'm saying is, I wasn't emotionally prepared for all this. It's that drat Stoutland all over again.

I'm sorry, that's a tough situation to be in. At least you gave her a long and happy life :unsmith:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tender Bender posted:

I'm sorry, that's a tough situation to be in. At least you gave her a long and happy life :unsmith:

Thank you. She is a good girl. A bit longer yet, we hope!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Platinum was basically this for Diamond/Pearl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dumb question but looking at stuff, can Palafin's ability be used in Raid Battles?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Stux posted:

titans wouldve been nice bcos theyre already setup for a multi opponent fight anyway

Titans and Star bases not being doable in multiplayer is definitely a shame. Gyms I can get, you'd have to drastically change how they work in a way that wouldn't make them feel like gyms anymore. But fanning out to take down an enemy base, then standing together against a not-quite-Pokemon enemy? That sounds badass. You could probably give them some secret stat scaling by player count, since their info is already hidden and they aren't real Pokemon.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The Bee posted:

it feels kinda tricky to imagine circumstances where battling wild Pokemon together would really be necessary. At most, it'd let you push into areas you couldn't normally handle (which you can already do by avoiding enemies because they all spawn on the overworld) or catch Pokemon you normally wouldn't have access to (which the game already curbs by putting level limits on what Pokemon obey you). In exchange for that, it'd make EXP distribution more complicated, slow down battles even more, and open up room for griefing by having someone join your battle and steal your catches. It'd be rad for static encounters like legendaries and Titans, but for your average wild Pokemon it seems neater in theory than in practice.

Yeah, to be clear I'm not particularly concerned about whether or not multiplayer functionality has a material benefit to my progress. I want to have fun playing with my friends and this implementation offers very limited opportunities to do that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Dumb question but looking at stuff, can Palafin's ability be used in Raid Battles?

How would he change his clothes if he can't leave the field?!

Well that Dark team didn't know what hit them. I have looked up a guide just on what order to do the main stuff in. I won't follow it to the letter but it'll help me keep from forgetting anything.

I enjoyed the flying titan! Some of the setpieces are imaginative and fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how they put all this online stuff in, but the gts is still dead and the only way I can trade without a code shared outside the game is by tossing dudes into the random trade machine. It seems so... counterintuitive.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

spinst posted:

I would die for clodsire

You and me both. I love my little floppy boy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
i just beat Mela and holy gently caress her walk cycle is incredible, 10/10 game of the year. I love this dumbass in her giant stompy boots

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Flittle is the cutest

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Flittle is the cutest

There's a lot of adorable to go around this gen!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vandar posted:

Terastallizing is going to be fine and fun in PVP where you can play mindgames and have to try and work around it, but in the singleplayer it just kind of sucks. It doesn't give the same dopamine rush as going Mega or Dynamax or even throwing out a Z-Move.

Oh I get a dumb hat, thanks, awesome. Shame you're going to make me run all the way back to the Pokemon center to recharge it, but thanks.

You can recharge the Tera Orb by interacting with Tera Dens and then backing out - a little sound effect and particle effect will kick in as the menu pops up

You also get LP for doing so, like getting watts in SwSh

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say some of these textures are N64 quality. Please help the Gamefreak workers, there's no way they could have put out a game that looks AND runs like this unless they're under insane time restraints.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tender Bender posted:

I'm enjoying this game a lot, but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say some of these textures are N64 quality. Please help the Gamefreak workers, there's no way they could have put out a game that looks AND runs like this unless they're under insane time restraints.

I mean GF is also historically not good at the technical side of games and does not expand their workforce significantly ever. Give them more time and hire people that know better.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
just heard the gym leader clown fart music, to say this soundtrack is uneven would be an understatement

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I caught a shiny snorunt yesterday! My yuki-onna now has a pink ribbon

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

After coming across the one (that I know of) sandwich shop that you can actually just go in and its a room you can walk around in I am so confused as to why they didn't just do that for the rest? Apparently it's not a technical problem because that sandwich shop works.... that one treasure restaurant or whatever works too, all the gyms work, so why not just do that for the rest? I thought at first it was a performance thing for who knows what reason but if those work why wouldn't the rest work?

Just copy and paste the rooms GF just, just do it....

edit: The DLC better let me silph co my rear end through those skyscrapers in the electric gym city... they're so big but why?

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 21, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BrainDance posted:

After coming across the one (that I know of) sandwich shop that you can actually just go in and its a room you can walk around in I am so confused as to why they didn't just do that for the rest? Apparently it's not a technical problem because that sandwich shop works.... that one treasure restaurant or whatever works too, all the gyms work, so why not just do that for the rest? I thought at first it was a performance thing for who knows what reason but if those work why wouldn't the rest work?

Just copy and paste the rooms GF just, just do it....

edit: The DLC better let me silph co my rear end through those skyscrapers in the electric gym city... they're so big but why?

They should all instead be the menus cause it's less loading and the interiors are utterly pointless.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'll go a step further and say that if they're all going to be menus they should just let you buy everything in one shop instead of having like five different storefronts in a row that each sell 3 ingredients. At least just limit it to one shop of each type per city.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Perfect Potato posted:

just heard the gym leader clown fart music, to say this soundtrack is uneven would be an understatement

The gym leader theme seems to be hit or miss with many people, you either hate it or love it. Personally it's probably my favorite track so far.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i know this new game sucks but there needs to be a moratorium on the words 'jank' or 'jank'y or 'jankieness' there has to be a different way to express how much this game doesnt loving work

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

i know this new game sucks but there needs to be a moratorium on the words 'jank' or 'jank'y or 'jankieness' there has to be a different way to express how much this game doesnt loving work

"the Bethesda experience"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The way stuff is organized in terms of level is so weird lol. The dark Team Star crew and the water gym are literally right next to each other but there’s a 10-level gap between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Borsche69 posted:

nah