Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just saw Wakanda Forever. Not much to say that hasn't, but it was good. Agree with the people that thought that Ross's subplot was a little funky, I thought that him and Riri felt a little crammed in there, but Riri at least felt a bit more tied into the main plot. I'm curious how they're gonna bring that back around later. But other than that and a couple effects shots that stood out to me, I thought it was great. Absolutely fantastic Namor, nailed that "cool guy, but also kinda a massive dick" energy he has in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Compared to other Ranger actors whose sins range from "stealing from charity" to "voluntary manslaughter" JDF was a saint.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

catlord posted:

Just saw Wakanda Forever. Not much to say that hasn't, but it was good. Agree with the people that thought that Ross's subplot was a little funky, I thought that him and Riri felt a little crammed in there, but Riri at least felt a bit more tied into the main plot. I'm curious how they're gonna bring that back around later. But other than that and a couple effects shots that stood out to me, I thought it was great. Absolutely fantastic Namor, nailed that "cool guy, but also kinda a massive dick" energy he has in the comics.
The only effects stuff that stands out to me now because they do it a lot is the 'two actors in front of an obvious green screen' thing. For whatever reason they have not found a way to not make that look weird.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, the Red Ranger is the bad one. He sells fake merch to fans and may be involved in some major PPP loan fraud.

Fake merch sounds familiar, I think that's the story I had him mixed up with. In hindsight I'm sorry I swooped into news of the guy's death with "is he the bad one", that was unchill.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh, not everyone deserves to be mourned. Nothing wrong with making sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

Compared to other Ranger actors whose sins range from "stealing from charity" to "voluntary manslaughter" JDF was a saint.

Zordon wanted attitude, he definitely got what he wished for.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

To counterbalance with a more positive Red Ranger role model, I saw Brennan Mejia (Power Rangers Dino Charge) on American Ninja Warrior and his attempt has stuck with me ever since. His efforts to salvage a stumble feel, to me, more impressive than if he'd actually finished the course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RptHJqJJc84

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What the gently caress

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1594523300570570752?s=46&t=Hi16mZKeE8sMl94gzl6TLQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

uh

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
is this good or bad?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

is this good or bad?

It’s only a 2 year commitment so it depends what he can really do in that little time. It’s very good for Disney morale right now, though. Nobody liked Chapek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Chapek was determined to run the Parks side of things into the loving ground by nickel-and-diming every service that used to be included with the ticket price and just last week he talked poo poo about animation in an interview.

Iger sucked before and he’ll suck again, but tossing Chapek in the trash is still a net positive for basically everyone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Chapek was determined to run the Parks side of things into the loving ground by nickel-and-diming every service that used to be included with the ticket price and just last week he talked poo poo about animation in an interview.

Iger sucked before and he’ll suck again, but tossing Chapek in the trash is still a net positive for basically everyone.
With the Parks he was mostly just doing what Universal was doing already at their parks. In general the goal for awhile at the Disney Parks has been to try and reduce the number of people there by charging more money for everything, and doing yearly or twice yearly ticket increases.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

With the Parks he was mostly just doing what Universal was doing already at their parks. In general the goal for awhile at the Disney Parks has been to try and reduce the number of people there by charging more money for everything, and doing yearly or twice yearly ticket increases.

Which is exactly why people hated it. And it came on top of massive long-time cast-member layoffs and complete silence over the Don’t Say Gay bill.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Which is exactly why people hated it. And it came on top of massive long-time cast-member layoffs and complete silence over the Don’t Say Gay bill.

I didn't pay it much attention because Florida is a farce in general, but I thought DeSantis was bonkers against Disney for their opposition to the bill. Was he just being an incredible baby?
I think Disney stopped or paused donations to Republicans?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

I didn't pay it much attention because Florida is a farce in general, but I thought DeSantis was bonkers against Disney for their opposition to the bill. Was he just being an incredible baby?

Yeah but that took weeks.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is his stance on animation why that Spider-Man: Freshmen Year show was suddenly and unceremoniously canned and all the animators fired last week?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sanschel posted:

Is his stance on animation why that Spider-Man: Freshmen Year show was suddenly and unceremoniously canned and all the animators fired last week?

Where did you hear that? I'm not seeing anything about it anywhere

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s been all over. Marvel Studios was apparently hit with layoffs last week, including a lot in animation.

How that affects Freshman Year is all speculation though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There’s been rumors the last few days that the show has been cancelled, but iirc the sources were all clickbaity sites/twitter accounts and nothing has been confirmed by anyone reliable.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Given how it's status had already gone from "The untold origins of MCU Peter Parker" to "Yet another Spider-Man in high school cartoon" I wouldn't be surprised if it went through some additional retooling before coming back, again

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

Chapek's first email to staff was akin to "it's disappointing but we'll show them by having gay people in the stuff we create! But we can't stop supporting the politicians because then we don't have a seat at the table." Which went over exceptionally poorly including at least one week of internal meetings being hijacked by people pushing DEI along with creatives going on socials and talking about how handcuffed they are and how often their gay characters are cut or rewritten as straight in editing. After that he finally put out something a little more (not donating anymore is the big thing) and because DeSantis smelled blood in the culture war water, he jumped and went ape poo poo on it. But it was a long two weeks with a lot of feet dragging from upper management to get there.

It doesn't help that Chapek had given almost exclusively to republicans in the past too.

Iger's being brought back to try and steady the ship while trying to find another successor but no one should forget that Chapek was his hand selected choice too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Iger's being brought back to try and steady the ship while trying to find another successor but no one should forget that Chapek was his hand selected choice too.

Iger chose Staggs, but then Iger didn’t actually retire as planned so Staggs left.

Chapek was who was left when he finally did. Supposedly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I'm sure it isn't the primary reason (or maybe even a reason at all), but I like to imagine this is because Chapek said he wanted 33% of Disney's media releases to be "in the metaverse" by 2030 and the board of directors knew he had to be fired immediately.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The morale at Disney animation apparently shot up with the announcement. Given WB/Discovery's hatchet job to their animation department when you are the company Known for animation and your top guy is sneering at it, it makes sense to, ah, reorganize.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It seems most people think this is a good thing. I doubt it will really mean much to Marvel Studios but from what I've seen, the parks and animation folks hated the guy who just left.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

when you are the company Known for animation and your top guy is sneering at it, it makes sense to, ah, reorganize.
To be fair, that's the same attitude Eisner had until he made assloads of money from Little Mermaid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of the stuff people blame on Chapek began under Iger so it remains to be seen if anything happens as far as park prices, perks etc. that have been getting worse, but he'll be an improvement for their creative departments probably.

Disney employees hated Chapek as a person though so business decisions aside that's why so many are literally celebrating this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

A lot of the stuff people blame on Chapek began under Iger so it remains to be seen if anything happens as far as park prices, perks etc. that have been getting worse, but he'll be an improvement for their creative departments probably.

Disney employees hated Chapek as a person though so business decisions aside that's why so many are literally celebrating this.

The animation and parks people are the ones celebrating. If those issues began under Iger, then I'm not sure why they are celebrating. I'm not really tied into the Disney park or animation studios inner workings, though.

Either way, I doubt this has any real impact on MCU content. It's also only a 2-year commitment, so whoever replaces him in two years will be the person who may or may not make big changes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Either way, I doubt this has any real impact on MCU content. It's also only a 2-year commitment, so whoever replaces him in two years will be the person who may or may not make big changes.

MCU has still been basically a license to print money, even with the more mixed reviews on the current phase, right?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Saw BP2 over the weekend. Not much to add that hadn't already been said.

I'm not sure how I feel about how closely the Atlantean culture mirrored Wakanda
  • Secret Nation kept away from the rest of society
  • Technologically advanced beyond anything we've seen before
  • Granted super powers from a vibranium infused plant
  • The people have a hero protector/champion/leader
  • They have a national slogan/war chant and hand symbol*

I liked everything else about them. I loved the designs, especially the lionfish inspired head gear and Namor's Quetzalcoatl looking headdress. Attuma was cool as hell. The fact that the Atlanteans only turn blue when up on the surface was a neat touch. I also like the origin of Namor's land dweller name, which also cements the "correct" pronunciation in my head (Nah-more vs Nay-more)

*My wife pointed out to me that the hand gesture resembles the the same position in ancient Mesoamerican imagery/carvings

This also made me think about Vibranium in the MCU, and led to a fan theory. So now we know that there were multiple Vibranium meteorites that hit Earth, just the biggest one hit Wakanda. They had to come from somewhere, right? So what if there was some kind of Vibranium planet? And what if it wasn't just some random space junk collision? What if it was a directed attack from an alien species? My thought was that some cosmic entity figured out millions of years ago that Earth was being used as an incubator for the Celestial egg, and they sent a barrage of Vibranium to earth as a kind of long-distance, shotgun style abortion attempt. It didn't kill the celestial baby, but instead just wiped out the dinosaurs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The animation and parks people are the ones celebrating. If those issues began under Iger, then I'm not sure why they are celebrating. I'm not really tied into the Disney park or animation studios inner workings, though.

It's a lot of "Yeah, buts".

Iger started Genie, "yeah but Iger's version wasn't the Genie+ of today".

Park tickets started soaring under Iger, "yeah but he wasn't cutting perks along with it and was investing in the parks."

Etc.

Who knows how much is true and how much is just blaming the guy who had to take over during the pandemic though?

What everyone does seem to agree on is that Iger had a reputation for listening to the little guy on the ground and just feeling present, while Chapek was an ivory tower type.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CzarChasm posted:

Saw BP2 over the weekend. Not much to add that hadn't already been said.

I'm not sure how I feel about how closely the Atlantean culture mirrored Wakanda

[list]

That was sort of the entire point. They were supposed to be mirrors of each other.

They even gave them a vibranium-based technology/society just to make it as blatant as possible.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
the big difference (aside from land/sea) Is that one culture avoided colonization, while one is composed of the survivors of colonization

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

That was sort of the entire point. They were supposed to be mirrors of each other.

They even gave them a vibranium-based technology/society just to make it as blatant as possible.

I think Garth Marenghi wrote that plot point

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It turns out that given vibranium, all humans will make cool rear end spears.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

It turns out that given vibranium, all humans will make cool rear end spears.

And a few clubs, for some reason.

Still not sure why almost nobody ever makes vibranium armor that covers your entire body and only one vibranium shield.

You can stab people with most metals! You're not really using vibranium to its full potential!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The king has to approve that and he wants the only cool vibranium suit to himself.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here’s a better look at Kang’s suit from Quantumania

https://twitter.com/marvel_updat3s/status/1594700617032794113?s=46&t=QIRg8Toqrf1hyZiI_jd3Nw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There is a limited amount of vibranium so you can't give everyone weapons and armor made of it.