Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I believe he was also, at some point, a practicing therapist.

Just imagine for a moment that Jorp was your shrink once upon a time.

So was Hannibal Lecter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The tweets, MumpyPuffinz. It's the tweets that made me feel like that.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

that does not make him a doctor. Why does he call himself a Doctor?

A PhD can call themselves "Doctor" under certain conditions, with psychology professor being one of them. A lot of people who could use it don't, though, because they aren't self-serving egotists like Jorp.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

The tweets, MumpyPuffinz. It's the tweets that made me feel like that.

Im not allowed to tweet any more because I changed my name to "Elon Musk"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

But for real the internet was a terrible mistake birthed from a series of terrible mistakes that started with a Musklike overachiever swinging out of a tree onto the plains of the Serengeti.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Im not allowed to tweet any more because I changed my name to "Elon Musk"

You won the game

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

A PhD can call themselves "Doctor" under certain conditions, with psychology professor being one of them. A lot of people who could use it don't, though, because they aren't self-serving egotists like Jorp.

yeah, I know. I am fairly sure that Jordan Peterson is not a PHD

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

You won the game

:wink:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Where's that meme with the woman inside of a fake giraffe? That feels more appropriate to this situation, labeling the woman as Elon Musk and the real giraffe as Donald Trump

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Outrail posted:

But for real the internet was a terrible mistake birthed from a series of terrible mistakes that started with a Musklike overachiever swinging out of a tree onto the plains of the Serengeti.

This is way, way too kind to Elmo. The only thing he has ever independently achieved is cringe.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember Michele Bachmann briefly began calling herself Dr. as she has a juris doctorate to be a lawyer, until someone must have told her to knock it off. (Lol I couldn’t remember her name so I googled “weird Minnesota rep” and boom)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

He has a PhD in psychology, that's all that it takes to get the "doctor" title

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

He is, according to Wikipedia

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I am wrong. he is a doctor.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I missed this from yesterday, but :lol:
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/...agenumber%3D249

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

'doctor' originally belonged to academics, physicians stole it a couple centuries ago to try to shore up public faith in their rather questionable medicine

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the article says it's resolved with an over the air software update, so probably not going to cost them that much

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Recall in this case is an over the air software update. So really 0 cost to Tesla.

Tesla real problem is 5 years from now when all other manufacturers match Tesla's EV production levels. They're crazy overvalued because they promised self driving which every other manufacturer would need to license. Doesn't look like that's happening. Musk cut lidar to save costs and new Tesla's are blind and unsafe to self drive at night or in any bad weather. Compare that to what Volvo and even Nio (lol) are showing off with their lidars that work on top of cameras to give your car night vision and bad weather visibility you wouldn't even have with your own eyes.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 21, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

C-SPAM has informed me that Ye's twitter account has been reinstated.

You know what this means.

Reopen the Ye thread at once!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

You're thinking of Dr Phil.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Legally changing my first name to Dr. so more people will listen to me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

This, by the way, is why most people with PhDs don't call themselves "doctor" or put "PhD" in their name in most interactions, even though they're entitled to do that. The biggest faux-intellectuals do it, so a lot of actual smart people stopped doing it. For JorP the titles is the important part, he has to sell this image because he doesn't have any good ideas

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wait. Dr oz is a real doctor, I'm pretty sure Dr Phil isn't
I will correct myself if I am wrong
he does, but, it from the University of North Texas

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 21, 2022

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.
ELONS BRINGED BACK THE FREE SPEECH COMEDY IS LEGAL AGAIN!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Legally changing my first name to Dr. so more people will listen to me

this is v uncool i went to a great deal of effort to forge the documents necessary to say i was a doctor so that women would reply to my tinder and bumble profiles you can't just go do that at city hall they wont let you probably

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This is way, way too kind to Elmo. The only thing he has ever independently achieved is cringe.

You're right. A Musklike ape fell out a tree, demanded assistance and then claimed he led everyone out into this wonderful new world before being eaten by an ostrich.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dr. Thoss posted:

ELONS BRINGED BACK THE FREE SPEECH COMEDY IS LEGAL AGAIN!

this is v uncool i went to a great deal of effort to forge the documents necessary to say i was a doctor so that women would reply to my tinder and bumble profiles you can't just go do that at city hall they wont let you probably

look, free speech cost 44 billion dollars.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Peter Higgs has a twitter handle and it's "Peter Higgs" because in most conversations, even professional ones, the titles of "Dr" and "Professor" are completely irrelevant and may even make you look like a pretentious dip

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

This, by the way, is why most people with PhDs don't call themselves "doctor" or put "PhD" in their name in most interactions, even though they're entitled to do that. The biggest faux-intellectuals do it, so a lot of actual smart people stopped doing it. For JorP the titles is the important part, he has to sell this image because he doesn't have any good ideas

Eh, it's pretty circumstance based. I know a fair few women PhDs who make a point of using the Dr because they don't tend to get the respect they deserve from dumb men and it's a way of forcing acknowledgment of their expertise, which is entirely fair.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

Peter Higgs has a twitter handle and it's "Peter Higgs" because in most conversations, even professional ones, the titles of "Dr" and "Professor" are completely irrelevant and may even make you look like a pretentious dip

umm. Dr Bill Cosby would like to have some words with you after he get off house arrest

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just remembered Dr. Elon Musk is also in the honorary award crowd and I don't know how to feel about it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh it's an explicit part of the honourary doctorate award thing from almost all universities that you don't get to call yourself doctor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

really weird coming from the guy with three wives and six kids

Three marriages.

Kids with three women.

And yet only two wives.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

He's a psychology professor. He was never particularly noteworthy until he decided that transphobia was the hill he wanted to die on, professionally-speaking.

These days, I find myself wishing that hills were a lot more lethal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

he has a phd in clinical psychology as well, so just as much of a doctor though he no longer even has a license to even practise it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Prism posted:

https://twitter.com/Anwalt_Jun/status/1594001088503549952

Chan-jo Jun is a German lawyer who is involved in a case in German courts regarding Twitter refusing to comply with moderation standards laws on hate speech, and Musk just handed him this. It's presumably possible for Musk to gently caress up worse on this topic, but it would take a serious effort.

Missed this, apologies if it was already posted here as well

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Could someone who does interesting drugs speculate about what Musk is on?

Thanks in advance.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

So has Trump posted, or is this Elon Musks Dancing Clown Act to convince everyone that Twitter is not dying a slow death?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Thanks in advance.

he's on sucking his own dick and pretending to be rich. It's genetic

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Platystemon posted:

Thanks in advance.

Honestly getting doing speed with a fragile constitution vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Unlucky7 posted:

So has Trump posted, or is this Elon Musks Dancing Clown Act to convince everyone that Twitter is not dying a slow death?

Trump has not posted