Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Portugal is Eastern Europe

Over 18% seems really high, but maybe I'm just saying that because I'm a flabby goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i understand norway but in italy you can exercise outside like 11 months a year

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Membership counts tells you how many people think they should exercise, not how many actually do so.

I wonder how they account for month to month variation. I'm pretty sure it goes up in January and maybe April/may?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

also possible there are some countries with government programs to incentivize memberships as an employment bonus

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

i say swears online posted:

also possible there are some countries with government programs to incentivize memberships as an employment bonus

quote:

May 2016: Asinta’s Partner in Italy, De Besi-Di Giacomo, has reported back the following important changes in employee benefits this year:

• Flexible Benefits

o At the very end of 2015, the Italian government published a decree which allowed employers and employees to gain fiscal benefits from paying and receiving production premiums or other benefits not linked to such premiums. The rules for this flexible benefit system were published at the end of March 2016.

o Employees making less than 50,000€ per year now have two options: to receive their benefits as cash (and paying a 10% fixed tax), or as school fees, welfare, gym membership, etc. (and paying no tax). In the first scenario, both employer and employee will pay tax on the benefit amount. In the second scenario, however, neither party will be liable for those taxes.

:italy:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

There's a similar system in the czech republic and as you can see... it's not working great as you can see

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Excludes cheeses and wines, includes buggery.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol at "maelstorm"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol at "maelstorm"

that's the word for all the credit card offers after a week on vacation

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mayonnaise!!?! Huh.

Majonnaise :colbert:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Majonæse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

my-own-rear end

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And right next door, the island of Meeraqule Wip.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

malta'd milk balls

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Home of the Knights of Ligma

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

That's actually an interesting map. I didn't know that about duffel bags, it's not a word we use ourselves (except occasionally as a loanword from English).

As for Danish, I remember being quite proud when I figured out that A Buttery Pastry's name was a reference to his nationality

e: we do technically use 'duffel' to refer to the fabric, but don't think I've ever heard it used before.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 20, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That's a neat map. It'd be interesting to see it for common words in other languages, like for instance the French word for candle, "bougie", is named after the city Bejaia in Algeria which was historically spelled & pronounced "Bougie" in French.

Kind of related, I found out "Thermos" is a specific brand name word and not a generic term. https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/brand-names-generic-terms/ has a list of other brand name words that are now regular words, maybe half of which I had no idea were brands ("Dumpster", "Popsicle"). Also eRIP "Skype" being used as a generic word for video call, way to absolutely wreck that property Microsoft. I also haven't heard anyone say "xerox" instead of "make a printed copy" in like 10+ years. Both "Skype" and "Xerox" seem to be going the way of "klaxon", at least in my circles. Interestingly though "klaxon" is still the standard word used in French for car horn, especially as a verb ('honk') but also as the noun.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

klaxon is a good word and i won't let it die

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Saladman posted:

"Dumpster"

I did know this was a brand but it took me a moment to figure out why I knew it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss1zNvhH5sQ

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Saladman posted:

That's a neat map. It'd be interesting to see it for common words in other languages, like for instance the French word for candle, "bougie", is named after the city Bejaia in Algeria which was historically spelled & pronounced "Bougie" in French.

Kind of related, I found out "Thermos" is a specific brand name word and not a generic term. https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/brand-names-generic-terms/ has a list of other brand name words that are now regular words, maybe half of which I had no idea were brands ("Dumpster", "Popsicle"). Also eRIP "Skype" being used as a generic word for video call, way to absolutely wreck that property Microsoft. I also haven't heard anyone say "xerox" instead of "make a printed copy" in like 10+ years. Both "Skype" and "Xerox" seem to be going the way of "klaxon", at least in my circles. Interestingly though "klaxon" is still the standard word used in French for car horn, especially as a verb ('honk') but also as the noun.
Velcro is an interesting one in that regard... few years back the PR dept at the Velcro company put out a release saying that the product was "hook and loop fastening tape" or something and that they'd like people to call it that instead of diluting their brand name....

...until people pointed out that the inventor had called it Velcro and that the company was named after the product.

hashtag_things_i_learned_from_QI

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

😡

Walnut

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm the weiner coach

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It appears to invert when it gets hard

...is that something that happens? :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cable Guy posted:

Velcro is an interesting one in that regard... few years back the PR dept at the Velcro company put out a release saying that the product was "hook and loop fastening tape" or something and that they'd like people to call it that instead of diluting their brand name....

...until people pointed out that the inventor had called it Velcro and that the company was named after the product.

It was a pretty catchy song though.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cable Guy posted:

if it was on qi it probably wasn't true

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/chazhutton/status/905254120185049088

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Bongo Bill posted:

It was a pretty catchy song though.

I am stuck on band-aid (brand) 'cause band-aid stuck on me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

The big differences among the Baltics are interesting. Estonia is even lower than Switzerland, wonder what causes that (assuming the map is accurate).

Too close to Russia and its untreated industrial waste outlets - all the fish have three eyes and spontaneously combust.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saladman posted:

The English have quite a few of these, like mackintosh and hoover.

Also I just went on Bing to Google the correct spelling of mackintosh.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I think they forgot sedan and berline

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't sedan come from the chair rather than the place?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Guavanaut posted:

But isn't the chair named after the place?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Debatable, apparently. https://www.etymonline.com/word/sedan

I went to the castle at Sedan a couple years ago and they insisted that the word was named after the town, but Wikipedia doesn't mention it so maybe it's just a coincidence, like the city "Mascara" in coastal Algeria, which is coincidental to the makeup.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

But isn't the chair named after the place?
I thought it was from Latin or Old Italian for seat/chair/sitting.

Depending on which might make the chair bit in English redundant, like a head of cabbage or a cash box.

e: ^^ Yeah that

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I thought it was from Latin or Old Italian for seat/chair/sitting.

Depending on which might make the chair bit in English redundant, like a head of cabbage or a cash box.

e: ^^ Yeah that

which part of cash box is redundant?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cash originally meant the money box, from French caisse, with the 'containing money' part being implied.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Link...? I'd like to press # to learn more....

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Every time I see a Westeros map I can't get over how the southern bit is literally just ireland upside down with a hastily drawn peninsula on the bottom to make it a little less obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cable Guy posted:

Link...? I'd like to press # to learn more....

Way, way more than you could possibly want to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETjEB130k4

http://milestraer.com/the-geology-of-game-of-thrones/

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 22, 2022