Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love when clients analyze my trial strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when I took my cat to a veterenarian and he tried to prescribe a homeopathic remedy and then suggested I could help my cat by giving her a placebo I bailed on him
He was all "you've been watching too much youtube" as his parting shot
I'm sure there are no bad lawyers though, and clients should always just let the lawyer do their thing without thinking at all about whether the thing they're doing is good or makes sense or is maybe total horseshit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you comparing veterinarians to lawyers ??

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Does your cat not analyze your trial strategy?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

when I took my cat to a veterenarian and he tried to prescribe a homeopathic remedy and then suggested I could help my cat by giving her a placebo I bailed on him
He was all "you've been watching too much youtube" as his parting shot
I'm sure there are no bad lawyers though, and clients should always just let the lawyer do their thing without thinking at all about whether the thing they're doing is good or makes sense or is maybe total horseshit

The placebo was weed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your veterinarian is not ethically bound to providing a zealous defense of your cats life

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

euphronius posted:

Your veterinarian is not ethically bound to providing a zealous defense of your cats life

They're not? Don't they take the Hippocatic Oath?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could you imagine if lawyers could ethically euthanize their clients ??

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

In the US, they typically are. AVMA and/or state licensing boards pull veterinary licenses for ethical reasons about as often as law or medical licenses get pulled (rarely)

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 20, 2022

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

euphronius posted:

Could you imagine if lawyers could ethically euthanize their clients ??

Motion to render client.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just skimmed the vet ethics thing I found. No mention of zealous.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
As a former ALJ I rule that the educational demands of the profession and the duty of care are sufficiently equivalent for the poster's analogy

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

this may shock the fine people of SA, but most people want to pay debts they owe

I dunno man I used to work collecting debts and very few of the people I talked to seemed to want to pay. I mean, they said they did, but they wouldn't actually do it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

sullat posted:

I dunno man I used to work collecting debts and very few of the people I talked to seemed to want to pay. I mean, they said they did, but they wouldn't actually do it.

Did you try picking them up by their ankles and shaking the change out of their pockets?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
One collections firm in town has questions on their debtor's interrogatories about pets. Like, they'd never actually repo your goldfish to pay down your delinquent credit card bill or whatever, they just want to motivate debtors by the threat. Gayle from bob's burgers gasping and clutching her pearls when an evil lawyer says "... so, ya got any cats?!"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

null_pointer posted:

They're not? Don't they take the Hippocatic Oath?!

:golfclap:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

That's a sampling issue

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Nonexistence posted:

One collections firm in town has questions on their debtor's interrogatories about pets. Like, they'd never actually repo your goldfish to pay down your delinquent credit card bill or whatever, they just want to motivate debtors by the threat. Gayle from bob's burgers gasping and clutching her pearls when an evil lawyer says "... so, ya got any cats?!"

That’s likely a fdcpa violation. There’s a case out there where serving discovery in a collection lawsuit against a pro se was found to violate it

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I thought threatening any legal action you had no intention of taking or threatening to do something you couldn't legally do was a violation.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I don't know if they've ever been dinged for that in particular, but I know they pay out a few thousand each year in fdcpa penalties and just view it as the cost of doing business in volume collections.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

BonerGhost posted:

I thought threatening any legal action you had no intention of taking or threatening to do something you couldn't legally do was a violation.

it is

Nonexistence posted:

I don't know if they've ever been dinged for that in particular, but I know they pay out a few thousand each year in fdcpa penalties and just view it as the cost of doing business in volume collections.

all collection agencies do this . the fdcpa standard is incredibly low

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

There's a spot for reporting that on the bankruptcy schedules so it seems OK? If a trustee can liquidate spot to raise money for the creditors...

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sullat posted:

"Working as a veterinarian my take is that most pets are sick or injured"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Everyone seems to hate debt collectors?!?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I pay my debts, but if somehow the situation arose where one of my debts was purchased by a collections agency I wouldn't be particularly eager to pay them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Everyone seems to hate debt collectors?!?

Jesus didn’t.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

Jesus didn’t.

How did He feel about lawyers?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

null_pointer posted:

He's always been a big fan of whores

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

null_pointer posted:

He felt defense attorneys were on par with himself and the holy spirit.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

joat mon posted:

He felt defense attorneys were on par with himself and the holy spirit.

Yeah, I'm going to need a biblical citation, for that.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
coming back to this thread after a long hiatus to let you all know not to waste your money starting a c-corp and biting off more than you can chew for one person

bye savings, self-esteem, and sanity

also yeh i was probably manic

lesson learned the hard way

turns out im the bitchass, I owe some of yall just trying to look out for me an apology, so i'm sorry yall

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 23, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Question - is it bad when your lawyers are so bad that the judge removes the statutory cap for punitive damages?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ceebee posted:

Don't worry y'all will get front row seats to my path to homelessness.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I ended up getting a job, making decent money, and buying a house. But I got laid off with a bunch of other folks a few months ago so yeah who knows I'll probably still end up homeless :/

apparently I'm only good at making other people rich...

ceebee fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 23, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ceebee if you still have any money I'm taking on investors for my J.G. Wentworth style business. My own lawsuit is my first client, 5 figure minimum investment, 7 figure maximum. I estimate a return of 20% within 6-12 months.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

ceebee if you still have any money I'm taking on investors for my J.G. Wentworth style business. My own lawsuit is my first client, 5 figure minimum investment, 7 figure maximum. I estimate a return of 20% within 6-12 months.

HOLY poo poo I'm in

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Look, you went wrong naming it Quibi. Just saying

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
It was actually called goodhumans.live

formerly mystreamspace.com

I wish I was joking

ceebee fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 23, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ceebee posted:

It was actually called goodhumans.live

It wasn't an instruction manual... It was a cook book!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ceebee posted:

Volmarias posted:

Just tell us the business plan at this point.

Nope. :smugdog:

Hmm.

ceebee posted:

Hahaha leave it to goons to resort to calling me mentally ill or accusing me of having a manic episode. The only disability I have is ADHD but thank you for your concern.

Narrator: it was, in fact, a manic episode.

ceebee posted:

Volmarias posted:

Because if so there's a reason that the ad revenue model for streamers is so paltry at this point, and it's not just greed.

It is my opinion that I believe you are incorrect. But I do agree with you that ad revenue models are lovely.

Narrator: However, he was, in fact, correct.