Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Finished GoWR after 42 hours. Ended up liking it a lot though that middle dragged a bit. The ending was well done and the transition to postgame makes me want to keep playing which almost never happens to me.

Disliked Atreus gameplay so much, but absolutely loved Freya as both companion and character in general.

I hope the next GoW is a PS5 exclusive, though. That are so many small improvements they could make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fortnite does it again.
https://twitter.com/Gman250/status/1594488051580796928?t=uS58U7VDKdiu-5nI8by5-w&s=19
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1594502857469956097?t=JuYpA0KZpRKdjJza6ETL0w&s=19

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pentiment rules

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Lol wtf are those graphics?

Is it supposed to look like medieval art?

This is admittedly the first I've seen if the game and I'm kinda sold on it if it's in that vein.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

dog nougat posted:

Is it supposed to look like medieval art?

Yes

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I just bought a PS5 for Ragnarok and I'm looking for other games to get, is Gran Turismo 7 worth it? The reviews are good but the user reviews are universally terrible, is it worth 40 bucks or is it skippable?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Live At Five! posted:

I just bought a PS5 for Ragnarok and I'm looking for other games to get, is Gran Turismo 7 worth it? The reviews are good but the user reviews are universally terrible, is it worth 40 bucks or is it skippable?

It is extremely good!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you like Gran Turismo, 7 is excellent and the dualsense feels incredible with it

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

It is extremely good!

Hell ya ok, I've never played GT before and I've always been interested. Is the handling of cars comparable to Forza?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Live At Five! posted:

Ratchet and Clank

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Live At Five! posted:

Hell ya ok, I've never played GT before and I've always been interested. Is the handling of cars comparable to Forza?

Comparable to Forza Motorsport, not Forza Horizon but yeah

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Live At Five! posted:

Did you play ps4 games? Because if you have a ps5 and subscribe to playstation plus, you get a bunch of good ps4 games for free. None of them are drivin games though.

Also you should have Astro's playroom for free too

Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Until Dawn
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Monster Hunter: World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Resident Evil 7 biohazard

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Live At Five! posted:

Horizon and Fortnite are about it for ps5 games.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The ascent up the wall in GoWR ruled because climbing tall poo poo with awesome views is one of my favorite things in video games (And irl). It's better when you're killing stuff along the way like with the Ruin Strewn Precipice route to the Aldus Plateau in ER, but I will never say no to a climb with awesome views.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The last Gran Turismo I played a TON of was GT3, and I loved how much single player content it had. It’s been a long time since I’ve played a racing game, and the prospect of a non-open world game one sounds great. Does GT7 offer that “old” Gran Turismo experience of buying a lovely car, upgrading it, getting a new car to unlock different races, etc?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Also finished GoWR today, rolling credits at a clean 40 hours.

Everything from the second trip to Vanaheim through the end is a roller coaster, and has some bonkers scale that 2018's final hours lacked. The final act is a wonderful spectacle.

The character work in Ragnarok is astounding, I don't even know that I want to make any more detailed points beyond I truly did love all of them. Although... I guess I will make special note of (end-game and post-game spoilers) Sindri. I'm so so so glad they committed to that through the end, though I haven't done any post-game stuff so I don't know if it touches more upon that. Speaking of post-game, I kept expecting Atreus to drop a line about "I don't need to leave yet, let's explore the realms together some more" to set up the post-game status quo, so imagine my surprise when Freya is the post-game companion. Kratos, Mimir and Freya's dynamic is something great, the mature tenor of their conversations is refreshingly adult, so I'm excited to jump in and hear more idle chatter between the three of them.

I had really high expectations for Ragnarok and boy howdy were they met and in most cases exceeded.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Agrias120 posted:

The last Gran Turismo I played a TON of was GT3, and I loved how much single player content it had. It’s been a long time since I’ve played a racing game, and the prospect of a non-open world game one sounds great. Does GT7 offer that “old” Gran Turismo experience of buying a lovely car, upgrading it, getting a new car to unlock different races, etc?

the carpg is back baby

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Yea GT7 is a great game
A game made by car lovers both for car lovers and people that they want to convince to love cars

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

anyone else notice that the explore page as of the last few days in the US is no longer automatically cringe full page ads but now is made of multiple panes + trophy/friend data?

only took them 2 years!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Agrias120 posted:

I really liked this aspect of GT2/3/4 and it's sadly not much of a thing in 7. 7 is a good game, driving feels great and it looks great but didn't really have that single player loop the old ones have. It throws cars at you and usually the cars it throws at you can be done in the upcoming story mission, rinse repeat.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Namnesor posted:

(...) so imagine my surprise when Freya is the post-game companion. Kratos, Mimir and Freya's dynamic is something great, the mature tenor of their conversations is refreshingly adult, so I'm excited to jump in and hear more idle chatter between the three of them.

:yeah: loving that so much as well

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Pentiment rules

I don’t usually like when people compare art they don’t like in video games to flash animations but this looks so much more like a flash animation than medieval art to me lmao. Other than maybe the shading. I could probably learn to get used to it but at a glance I think it’s hideous

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

Pentiment rules

What do you do in this game? What is the gameplay?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fridge corn posted:

What do you do in this game? What is the gameplay?

It's like Disco Elysium, which is to say it does not have gameplay.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

I hope the next GoW is a PS5 exclusive, though. That are so many small improvements they could make.

I think going forward all non-indie western-developed games other than sports titles and possibly Call of Duty will not be on PS4.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I have a first printing (blue) and a later hardcover (full color) of House of Leaves. Funfax! The first printing mentions a full-color hardcover version, but that's a lie as it did not actually exist until much later. What an experience. I swear there was (red) copies when I first bought the book but now in my dusty memory I genuinely have no idea.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t usually like when people compare art they don’t like in video games to flash animations but this looks so much more like a flash animation than medieval art to me lmao. Other than maybe the shading. I could probably learn to get used to it but at a glance I think it’s hideous
In what universe does this look like Flash animation? Have you seen a Flash animation lately?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pentiment is cool but yeah +1 on not liking the art that much. It's grown on me, but I don't get why they went for the medieval art aesthetic if they weren't really going to make it look like medieval art. It doesn't look bad, but it reminds me of those indie pixel art games that tout "8-bit graphics" when that is clearly not what they are. Just bugs me because whenever they show manuscripts and tapestries and such that all looks great, but the character art doesn't match it at all.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hakkesshu posted:

Pentiment is cool but yeah +1 on not liking the art that much. It's grown on me, but I don't get why they went for the medieval art aesthetic if they weren't really going to make it look like medieval art. It doesn't look bad, but it reminds me of those indie pixel art games that tout "8-bit graphics" when that is clearly not what they are. Just bugs me because whenever they show manuscripts and tapestries and such that all looks great, but the character art doesn't match it at all.

There's a dynamic, here, though -- the older characters seem like they're drawn in a slightly-older style without the color gradient or outline work on the younger characters. I think if the whole game was following Brother Aedoc and Piero around, it'd feel like they were hewing much closer to that aesthetic.

My brain just does not work for this game. :( I played Act 1 a second time because I didn't like part of the ending, and then the exact same thing happened on my replay. So, okay, I just rolled with it, gotta live with your choices, right? Except that I can't and so I've replayed so many loving scenes because I keep hitting Alt-F4 every time something goes wrong.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah, the characters are definitely drawn to their own contemporary (or even regional) style. Like Brother Sebhat who is drawn in the style of Ethiopian Christian art.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Escobarbarian posted:

This is a bonkers take on this. Absolutely dumbfounded at calling this flash animation, like looking back at Flash with the rosiest of rose-tinted goggles ever developed by man.

Edit: First image when I search for Cantebury Tales:

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 21, 2022

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Agreed. It looks fine when I scroll by screenshots on my phone but the moment you stop to look at the characters you notice their extreme early 2000's Newgrounds energy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for the sake of my tranquility I will assume that “flash” has just become shorthand for flat-shaded character art with limited range of motion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah it looks just like a newgrounds game from 2000, same as Hollow Knight. They look exactly like this and I can't tell the difference

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah it looks just like a newgrounds game from 2000, same as Hollow Knight. They look exactly like this and I can't tell the difference

Silksong looking pretty good

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Silksong looking pretty good

Nailed it

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think you are overestimating Windows 95 MS paint

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think they’re joking.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Doh, I can't tell anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I think the highest effort Flash animation stuff I can think of is... was it called the Brackenwerth series or something like that? Not a game just animation, I think it was the work of some ex-Disney animator, it was pretty good for its time but I haven't exactly gone back to check if it looks good or just looks good for Flash.

But when people talk games, the first thing I think of is Adventurequest's extremely simple animations where you could see the limbs moving round their pivot points where the different layers didn't always overlap right. Sure some people did a lot better than that, and a lot of other games had the same kind of clunky rigged animation, but that's where my mind goes first.