Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Haha 10 days until release you'd think they would wanna slam out those fixes before launch to see if they work else you'll get a very, very bad release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I agree but also this has never hurt fat shark before

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Basically people who played tons of Vermintide (like me) are just too used to Fatshark doing Fatshark things

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arghy posted:

Haha 10 days until release you'd think they would wanna slam out those fixes before launch to see if they work else you'll get a very, very bad release.

I have no doubt theyre working on it

The question is will it ever be fixed

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

boredsatellite posted:

Basically people who played tons of Vermintide (like me) are just too used to Fatshark doing Fatshark things

I just think this game is in a whole other league in terms of attention and hype compared to vermintide. They are in for a rude awakening.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Orv posted:

There’s a lot of decisions in the game that the more I play the more it feels like this game is both rushed and way way behind where they wanted to be and I suspect a major reworking at some point in its development.

The game definitely feels very unfinished with several parts just seem straight up missing They promised a more narrative experience and even did a big trailer with Dan Abnett last year which made me very excited. In practice there's absolutely no story apart from a few introductionary cutscenes that are weirdly spread out, and the actual missions are just a randomly generated set with no connection.

It feels like what they wanted to do was seasonal or even weekly "themes" where you have an overall objective and each mission feeds into that and culminates in a big boss mission for a bigger reward. In fact a lot of the mission system is underbaked and there was a very obvious duct tape fix from the first beta, where there wasn't even partial credit for picking up one scripture or grimoire. Exiting a mission with all grims or scripts should be a set reward of an extra item drop instead of just 500xp or whatever.

They also straight up removed the crafting system without any communication about why or when its coming back. I feel like the progression system is the worst part of Vermintide they just straight up copy pasted over. You level up and get new weapons but until you hit level 30 none of it actually matters because nothing you pick lasts more than a few missions before you replace it.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

I really dislike the idea that in a game based on cooperating with your group we have to spend the whole missions competing for ammo and grenades. It's such a bad design.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Pigbottom posted:

I really dislike the idea that in a game based on cooperating with your group we have to spend the whole missions competing for ammo and grenades. It's such a bad design.

You shouldn't be fighting for ammo, the game even shows you a colour coded icon next to each player to represent how much ammo they have. People getting ammo to refill 20 of their 300 bulllets are the problem.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

deep dish peat moss posted:

This has nothing to do with "low power", some weapons just do absolute dumpster-tier garbage. For example, any cleaving melee weapon is absolute trash compared to single-target melee weapons, even at killing hordes - the only benefit they give you against hordes is letting you stand still while swinging instead of strafing/dodging in circles, their damage is so much worse than single-target weapons that at higher difficulties they take longer to kill a horde.
In Vermintide at least crowd control becomes as/more important than damage on higher difficulties. When it only takes half a dozen hits from mooks to down you, the game becomes at least as much about keeping large numbers of enemies staggered as it does about doing high amounts of damage to one or two at a time.

Who knows for sure if that's how it'll work in Darktide but there's good reason to expect it to.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Power sword for veteran just seems like a no brainer, it's the single best option because it has an incredible cleave and it's active not only cleaves better but also ignores armor so it works on elites too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pigbottom posted:

I just think this game is in a whole other league in terms of attention and hype compared to vermintide. They are in for a rude awakening.

An alarm making a fart noise every time gently caress tonnes of Xbox gamepiss cash goes into their bank account

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

the ammo situation is kind of dumb because the game doesn't really make it clear to you that you shouldn't be spamming your gun against everything, so of course people are gonna treat it as a traditional FPS. it's more a failing of fatshark's bad tutorials than the player, imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Meeko posted:

the ammo situation is kind of dumb because the game doesn't really make it clear to you that you shouldn't be spamming your gun against everything, so of course people are gonna treat it as a traditional FPS. it's more a failing of fatshark's bad tutorials than the player, imo.

It takes one 20 minute game to understand bullets aren't infinite.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Pigbottom posted:

Oh yeah there's going to be a lot of baffled people on launch day

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hell yeah, I finally unlocked the lightning staff for the psyker and the class is finally coming together properly. Being able to disrupt big groups of enemies at range on short notice is really useful and feels unique to the class. Plus you get to cackle "unlimited power!" while you're doing it. :allears:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Thats gotta be a busted tooltip. Right?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Fishstick posted:

looks like a :fatshark: tooltip to me

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
generally prefer vermintide 2 over this but it took a while for vt2 to get where its at. part of it maybe is just that i radically prefer the setting of fantasy over 40k; idk how you can make a megacity dystopia so fuckin boring to go thru. doom 3 had more varied scenery than this.

i thought part of the point of going with a hiver city and the mission system would be to have more map variety since itd be a lot easier to just jam poo poo together randomly to have some kind of generated levels, but alas

it being more of a shooter game also makes me compare it more disfavorably to payday 2 which has generally more satisfying shooting and variety of firearms / builds. in the far future there are four kinds of gun. im also all for having more limited perks than pd2 did but if youre going to have few perks why make them all so boring (this was a problem with vt2 as well tho).

i do like that theyre having you do more than move barrels around as a mission objective tho

mutant and dog feel very jank and extremely annoying. lets take the charger from l4d2 but make it charge all the time + turn, and then sometimes hit you, sometimes dont hit you, sometimes throw you off a cliff and you die. reavers are the beserkers from vt2 and i hate them but theyre more coherent. net fellow feels way too tanky for being a hard to spot disabler that just runs up to you. genade man is extremely loving annoying but thats okay, it makes you have to do something different instead of backing into a corner and/or dodging infinitely around your problems

i kind of hate the psyker head pop, i hate having to charge it, while trying to either target some dork in a crowd or hold it in hopes the dog i heard gets around the corner faster than my peril rises. i hate that theres some incredibly tiny damage bonus attatched to stacking something, like, gently caress, get some goddamn balls fatshark make it a +25% damage a stack or some poo poo. for being a core class feature it feels extremely, like, super specific and specialized, and you have to swap to a whole different 'weapon' to use it. just never felt satisfying at all, even though its all in all kind of a bullshit power when you can actually aim it.

do also miss the rats, the nurgle guys continue to be pretty boring dudes. the traitor guardsmen do have some lines where they talk like soldiers instead of talking like crazed religious fanatics / zombies. its different, at least.

thats really the end of my thoughts but now the one thats haunting me is the fact that, yeah, it is a lot like payday 2 except the missions are built much more like l4d2 ones, and the shooting is worse. i think it feels worse than in l4d2 as well, actually. its not *bad*, its just, not clicking. shooting gun dudes feels worse than shooting cops helmets off in pd2, shooting/hitting hoards feels more sort of sluggish and one dimensional than in l4d2. everything is also really dark and looks the same. i think thats it. i didnt mean to give a review, i dont even hate it its fine. i just felt like tying A Thought and it kept going so, im going to stop now.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 21, 2022

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Unfortunately dark tide is coming off the back of the chaos wastes in vermintide 2 which are so much more fun than base vermintide 2.

I crave my random traits and weapons.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

JBP posted:

An alarm making a fart noise every time gently caress tonnes of Xbox gamepiss cash goes into their bank account

I didn't really mean it in a financial sense. It's more in the sense of getting harassed by the "slap in the face" brigade.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Dogs became less of a giant threat when I realised you dont have to shoot em or even dodge em, and you can just like, gentle nudge them with a push and they'll roll over or stand still like a deer in headlights ready to accept a mace or shotgun to the face.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Dogs became less of a giant threat when I realised you dont have to shoot em or even dodge em, and you can just like, gentle nudge them with a push and they'll roll over or stand still like a deer in headlights ready to accept a mace or shotgun to the face.

You can also dodge them and sometimes this causes them to go to space.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
dogs and mutants have the same sort of animation annoyance i have with gutter runners from VT2 where they dont actually have any sense of momentum behind anything they do, they just turn on a dime or fly off randomly in three directions at once

also thinking more, most of the stuff i kind of dislike is stuff that could be adjusted, just a lot of *Game Feel* stuff. like i said VT2 felt really off for me at the start but after ages of tweaking it felt good. but the one thing im going to call bad is the weapon progression. randomized weapon stats + weapon treadmill just blows, its not interesting or fun or cool it sucks. also who the gently caress makes a ui with just loving bars without putting a number on them, gently caress you.

also let people bring two guns and one melee, or one gun and two melee, in a level.

e: also played as the not psykers. ogryn i want to try out a bit more but they seem unique enough, but zealot and sharpshooter dont seem like different classes, just like, different builds of the same class as psyker. different perk decks in payday 2 felt more mechanically distinct than the gameplay between 3 of the 4 classes. considering how youre not at all limited by having one elf per team like the vermintide games idk why they didnt just go all out and make the different characters play more radically different like different classes in tf2 or something. make the zealot run faster, make the sharpshooter the only guy who can aim down sights because theyre not an idiot, give the psyker a double jump, you cowards.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 21, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Having gotten to them all now, gonna go with accatran as the best all round weapon for the vet, its just way less unwieldy than the bolter, more accurate than the autoguns, better damage output per second than the other lasguns with such a large bonus to ammo supply and capacity that you can shred entire shooter patrols by yourself, while still having the accuracy to snipe elites easily. The lower damage per individual round just doesnt matter at all.

Plasmas a bit of a disappointment, being even more unwieldy than the bolter and ammos even tighter on it In exchange for having a large single target burst that has some straight line collateral. Id say in this game the big threats arent large single target models you need to explode, its having multiple elites, specials, or shooters all over you, and having the firerate and capacity to switch from from target to target easily and quickly without reload makes a big difference.

Hope they dont nerf accatran, hope they buff plasma, but i dont know what you do.

e: VId is the better variant for what I think, genuinely you dont lose any accuracy at all for having the maximum dakka firerate and the dps damage output is higher despite the slightly less damage per shot.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 21, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have a suspicion that whatever they are holding back before the full launch is in full 24/7 crunch mode to try and get ready because it isn't finished yet or too buggy.

We'll see later today I guess.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

It's kinda dumb that some weapons are just trash compared to others. Looking at you, Eviscerator, totally obsoleting every other melee weapon.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

raverrn posted:

It's kinda dumb that some weapons are just trash compared to others. Looking at you, Eviscerator, totally obsoleting every other melee weapon.

Power sword for vets the same way, although I still keep an atrox axe around for some missions because its a ton of fun.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Fishstick posted:

It probably scales up and better versions replace the 0% with 5 or 10 or something.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Yerok posted:

Game still doesn't run great but going down to 6 worker threads via launcher (based on some ancient VT2 forum post) is a night and day improvement in smoothness and consistent fps over the default 13 for my 5800X3D.
I'll have to try this, I noticed it quit crashing when I went down to 12 so far. (I also have a 5800x3d)

Accatran:

Sharkopath posted:

Psyker gets it too past the halfway of their leveling, its just you'd probably rather use the staffs instead I reckon.
This guy has a build that soulburns and pops heads on chance to hit and uses the gun for 100+ ammo chances to proc and reduce peril while you are gunning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiC9uhaqtf8

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Sharkopath posted:

Hope they dont nerf accatran, hope they buff plasma, but i dont know what you do.

For the Accatran, I'd probably tone down its accuracy and effectiveness against armor to bring it in line with its peers, alongside giving the non-braced autoguns some hip-fire buffs and maybe better freakin' sights to compete with the lasguns.

Having now played extensively with the plasmagun, I would keep the primary fire as-is (maybe amp the splash damage so landing those hip-fire shots isn't so crucial), but change the supercharge into something a little more anti-horde, like Space Marine's chargeable AOE glob, or a rapid-fire mode.

Better yet, make those into weapon variants, and tune the current gun's secondary into a proper rail-shot that pierces enemies and cover.

edit: also you should be allowed to keep firing past 100% heat at the cost of potentially having your weapon explode violently

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 21, 2022

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
PSA, if you "gamble" at the contract guy for an unknown weapon it is capable of being a grey item of normal level lol

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
It's crazy how vastly different performance is sounding in this game right now for various systems -- doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason between higher end rigs and capable rigs. Definitely not feeling fully-baked for the 30th release.

Tried playing last night again and still had really shoddy FPS issues, and added to that the game was constantly stuttering, so bad to the point it would miss key presses at some points. Got through one mission, tried a second but bailed because it was just so frustrating.

Had no connection issues though!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've succumbed and bought this. Praying to the emepror that i get lucky and it runs ok on my computer.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

The ogryn ripper completely melts the assassination bosses's shield. It's amazing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

raverrn posted:

That's always been something of an issue dating back to Vermintide, single-target melee weapons are kinda a solution looking for a problem. The trouble that just about any anti-horde melee weapon tends to work at least decently against single targets, while the reverse certainly isn't always the case. So you end up with stuff like daggers and axes that look cool but can't really keep up in terms of utility with the big choppers that carve through both hordes and elites with little trouble. Doubly so in Darktide since you got way more ranged options to take down elites without needing to expose yourself as much.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Echoing that the biggest problem with vet right now is just the sheer amount of pubs that fire one shot with their pistol or whatever and then grab ammo.

I've even had pubs straight up ignore horde fights to go nab all the ammo in the room. At some point they should just turn on friendly fire for whoever's being a loving idiot.

Aside from that, there needs to be a clearer "YOU HAVE A MEDIKIT/AMMO PACK" icon somewhere. Nobody ever realizes that they have them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I played Zealot in the last beta and I made another last night and uh does anyone else think the active ability might be a little bugged?

Sometimes it restored all of my toughness, sometimes half of it, sometimes all of it. I mean maybe this was just me taking massive damage at the same time and the UI was poorly conveying that, but after I saw it a few times I started really focusing on my toughness bar while charging and it didn't act the way I expected.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
^ I think that Chastise the Wicked got intentionally nerfed and is supposed to only give you 50% toughness back now. It's just that the tooltip hasn't been updated yet.

This trait seems a bit silly; as long as there's even just a couple enemies close by I can basically stay 100% topped off on toughness even if there's a firing squad bearing down on me. (though that doesn't help against chip-damage to be fair :v:)

terrorist ambulance posted:

PSA, if you "gamble" at the contract guy for an unknown weapon it is capable of being a grey item of normal level lol
Yeah, I figured that was going to be the case. Probably the best use for that currency is to just wait until you're (close to) max level and then buy one of the limited items on offer.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 21, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Perestroika posted:

That's always been something of an issue dating back to Vermintide, single-target melee weapons are kinda a solution looking for a problem. The trouble that just about any anti-horde melee weapon tends to work at least decently against single targets, while the reverse certainly isn't always the case. So you end up with stuff like daggers and axes that look cool but can't really keep up in terms of utility with the big choppers that carve through both hordes and elites with little trouble. Doubly so in Darktide since you got way more ranged options to take down elites without needing to expose yourself as much.

It depends on what kind of single target attack it is, imo. There are some weapons with single target attacks that are a downward, slight diagonal swing that you can give the good ol' Chivalry Shuffle and arc it into hitting several enemies at once. But there are some that are just straight up stabs which doesn't work as well.

I do think the meta is going to end up being CC melee/ranged AP because it's safer for the team to take out dangerous enemies from afar, most guns have a lot of ammo, and it's not actually that difficult to just fan the hammer in the face of someone 5 feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The emperor gifted my zealot with a purple knife with 50 damage more than the others available to me. Stabby time.

Has anyone done any sunny outdoor levels? My buddy got one day one as his first mission but none since, like they forgot to remove them from tester beta after going early access. He's done all the mission types and just needs to force push 20 enemies off a cliff to get his hat. I'm stuck at 6/7 I think and also need to melee kill a charger while charging.