Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'm Peruvian. We don't give a gently caress. Nobody wants to see more trash teams at the WC. gently caress FIFA.

Best part is that CONMEBOL is going to keep the current qualifying format even though 6 of 10 qualify directly and 7th goes to playoff. Nothing like 18 games where 12 of them don't matter at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mustard Iceman posted:

Fans of Peru and Australia are probably stoked about not having to go through an inter-confederation playoff for the third cycle in a row.

And now New Zealand is basically guaranteed a slot forever, so they might be into it.

The group stage is going to be dreadful, though.

I'm Australian and I hate it

We were the last team to qualify for 2022 so there was already a serious "making up the numbers" vibe to our effort this time around. Gunna be even worse when we will likely qualify each time with worse players and less of a challenge

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Weaponized Cum posted:

I'm Peruvian. We don't give a gently caress. Nobody wants to see more trash teams at the WC. gently caress FIFA.

I'm Australian. We don't give a gently caress. Nobody wants to see more trash teams at the WC. gently caress FIFA.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Mustard Iceman posted:

The 16 groups of three thing is especially terrible. 12x4 would at least present the possibility of some interesting matches in the first phase.

lol just when I thought it wouldn't get worse than 48 instead of 32 teams I find out they have made another terrible decision. Don't tell me, 2 advance out of each group to a knockout round of 32, rendering the group stage almost meaningless?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Elliptical Dick posted:

lol just when I thought it wouldn't get worse than 48 instead of 32 teams I find out they have made another terrible decision. Don't tell me, 2 advance out of each group to a knockout round of 32, rendering the group stage almost meaningless?

Legit yes. One less group game, more games total, but the champion will still play a max of seven games.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Pook Good Mook posted:

Legit yes. One less group game, more games total, but the champion will still play a max of seven games.

You can always rely on FIFA to make the absolute worst decision in any given scenario.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
What will make it even better is that you won't be able to have it like you do now where the last group game is simultaneous. Every group will have one team that will already be done, and 2 playing knowing exactly what they need to advance, as well as potentially what their next round draw will be.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Welcome to the FIFA Fan Gulag

That's the NEXT Warzone 2.0 update no spoilers

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Piers morgan as always the biggest rear end in a top hat in the rear end vortex that is British media

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1594380221356072960?s=20&t=FRMsthX1J7MLPm5FwAPmNg

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Beffer posted:

I'm Australian. We don't give a gently caress. Nobody wants to see more trash teams at the WC. gently caress FIFA.

Southeast Asian teams wants more trash teams at the WC. Thailand and Vietnam can't hurdle the West Asian powers like UAE, Bahrain, and Lebanon(???). But we would let you drink and gay, we promise. No promises about the heat though.

joepinetree posted:

What will make it even better is that you won't be able to have it like you do now where the last group game is simultaneous. Every group will have one team that will already be done, and 2 playing knowing exactly what they need to advance, as well as potentially what their next round draw will be.

that is genuinely a problem with an already ugly format. i thought it would be 8 groups with 6 teams top two go thru, no best thirds.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive me for the rant/ hot take:

But I think this Qatari World Cup is going to increase Islamaphobia in your "Western Liberal" style countries.
Sadly you're not wrong about this. My country has two major far right parties, both of which have used "acceptance of LGBTQ people is part of our national identity!" as one of the many nails in their Islamophobic bat. Of course these parties will also yell about anything beyond the most basic acceptance that gay people exist as woke nonsense and gleefully vote against things like conversion therapy bans, but they'll claim they're willing to tolerate 'the gays' as long as they can spin a narrative that homophobia is a core tenet of Islam.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TDepressionEarl posted:

Southeast Asian teams wants more trash teams at the WC. Thailand and Vietnam can't hurdle the West Asian powers like UAE, Bahrain, and Lebanon(???). But we would let you drink and gay, we promise. No promises about the heat though.

that is genuinely a problem with an already ugly format. i thought it would be 8 groups with 6 teams top two go thru, no best thirds.

madg: mothers against drink and gay

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
im late to the meme game, someone explain CUM

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

im late to the meme game, someone explain CUM

Canada USA Mexico - a continent of CUM

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

say what you will about the English team but their fans know how to have a good time

https://twitter.com/SundayChants/status/1594605485587677186?s=20&t=0CTx74XfXLkwZjrr4vak2g

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

drat guess they didn't need that alcohol after all

Failed Imagineer posted:

Canada USA Mexico - a continent of CUM

lol

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The Dutch football federation had announced that the captain would keep wearing the One Love armband, and even pledged to pay any Fifa fines for wearing it. So now Fifa has announced that any captain taking the field with the One Love armband will be automatically given a yellow card.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Al-Saqr posted:

say what you will about the English team but their fans know how to have a good time

https://twitter.com/SundayChants/status/1594605485587677186?s=20&t=0CTx74XfXLkwZjrr4vak2g

torn between thinking "this is funny" and "this is a cynical manipulation of social media by qatari aristocracy"

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
welp

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1594628547951431681

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TDepressionEarl posted:

this would be cool and good, but also involve 136 games of football over a month

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

FullLeatherJacket posted:

this would be cool and good, but also involve 136 games of football over a month

i thought that was why we needed three countries and an entire continent this time

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Being a rich Qatari failson looks like a miserable existence if you're so desperate for validation and company to fill your cavernously empty TV room that you'll pull scousers off the street

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Should hand the armbands out to every coach, manager, advisor, doctor and every other support team member standing on the sidelines. They're not in the field of play so it shouldn't be a problem according to FIFA

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

TDepressionEarl posted:

i thought that was why we needed three countries and an entire continent this time

no, that's because no-one wants to pay to do it by themselves any more

except morocco

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Being a rich Qatari failson looks like a miserable existence if you're so desperate for validation and company to fill your cavernously empty TV room that you'll pull scousers off the street

I regularly go visit people who have these sorts of rooms, it's cavernous yes but it does alot of things, it's not just a TV room.

1- it's the main guest room where people bring large family gatherings and strangers to the house and not the family room.

2- the floor space is because people eat sitting on the floor in a circle

3- it's great when you want to play board games and card games and such

4- it's the main celebration room.

but yeah alot of them are just too huge and barely ever used. I personally wish I was rich enough for one of those types of rooms it would be great for my warhammer tabletop gaming.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Infantino is not feeling so gay today it seems.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Strong stance.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

if we're doing the north american world cup it should definitely be hex quals from colombus to puebla into knockouts.

i wouldn't mind if only the winner each hex group advances, if we're allowing bad teams into the world cup you should beat the bad and the good outright to get to quarterfinals. everyone gets five games to hit the ground running or perish, five games for each team after a four year wait seems fair and we get to see more euro teams like ireland, hungary, or north macedonia.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jippa posted:

Infantino is not feeling so gay today it seems.
too busy trying to stop the yarmulke from slipping off

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
invite qatar to cum 2026 and serve them nothing but bacon and budwesier because ‘its just our culture’

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eau de MacGowan posted:

invite qatar to cum 2026 and serve them nothing but bacon and budwesier because ‘its just our culture’

Has the advantage of being true for Canada and US at least

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

All 11 players should wear the armband instead. Force the ref to book 11 players before the match has even kicked off.

Sod trying to win this tournament, let's just turn it into a total farce instead.

It's what it deserves.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

not being british i dont know the subtle differences in accents and Scouser sounds like a low level mob you farm for throwing knives

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Has the advantage of being true for Canada and US at least

Canadian to USian: "This isn't bacon eh"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

isnt this just being in the west in general? when I lived west I had to cut out lots of things off my diet like Pepporoni and meatballs because it was all pork.

when I got back home I ate all the triple pepporoni pizzas I can.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Al-Saqr posted:

isnt this just being in the west in general? when I lived west I had to cut out lots of things off my diet like Pepporoni and meatballs because it was all pork.

when I got back home I ate all the triple pepporoni pizzas I can.

So pepperoni in Saudi isn't pork? :wtc:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

So pepperoni in Saudi isn't pork? :wtc:

A lot of majority-Muslim countries will serve "bacon" but it's not pork bacon, they'll have turkey bacon or chicken bacon etc. I haven't travelled much in the Middle East but I've seen it in Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei, and I assume it's in other places too.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah, like the grocery stores will have a charcuterie section full of beef and turkey salami and chicken sausage and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
With a spicy sausage it's even easier to hide the difference.