Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Lordshmee posted:

It was sufficient to keep it fully charged just having it plugged into my car every day.

Did you upgrade your car charger with your phone too? It could be putting out a pathetic amount of amps vs what your iPhone 14 wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duckman2008 posted:

Call T-Mobile and check on their upgrade options. Can’t speak for T-Mobile , but a bunch of carriers will take broken phone trade ins so worth checking.

I bought it from Apple in one go btw not T-Mobile. Would that matter?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

pzy posted:

Did you upgrade your car charger with your phone too? It could be putting out a pathetic amount of amps vs what your iPhone 14 wants

Nope. Car has built in USB ports. Also I abandoned Apple’s podcasts app many years ago because it’s hot garbage. I even cleared my library and deleted any subscriptions to help prevent any background shenanigans.

I mean, plugging in my phone is not a hardship or anything. It’s just one more thing that used to suck less. Technology seems to just be be on a constant downward slope. I guess it’s good practice for getting old.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

I bought it from Apple in one go btw not T-Mobile. Would that matter?

If you already bought it up front from apple then I wouldn’t worry about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Car USB ports might not be giving more than the maximum power for USB-A (5W?), so it could certainly just be that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rick posted:

Do you use the standard podcast app? You might want to check the settings and see how often it is doing background refreshes. It does them even if you turn them off because it's a very poorly designed app, but it will do them less often like this.
Oh, well that explains why Podcasts consistently uses more battery than any other app on my phone. Where can you see the frequency of background app refreshes? All I can find is a toggle to enable/disable them per app.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lordshmee posted:

Nope. Car has built in USB ports. Also I abandoned Apple’s podcasts app many years ago because it’s hot garbage. I even cleared my library and deleted any subscriptions to help prevent any background shenanigans.

I mean, plugging in my phone is not a hardship or anything. It’s just one more thing that used to suck less. Technology seems to just be be on a constant downward slope. I guess it’s good practice for getting old.

On a downward slope? So reactionary.

The problem is you - you're using the same charging methods for smartphones from 2014 or whatever. Your car's USB port probably caps out at 5w when these new iPhones can charge 5-6x faster over USB C and a 30w car adapter. I know your use-case is especially unique, but you're using a device with a much larger, and brighter display that refreshes at 120hz, along with more advanced and power hungry 5G antennas - of course the battery life is going to be affected - they're more advanced phones. If you take the original 5w iPhone charger and try to charge these new phones, you're going to have a bad time - there's a reason why Apple started including a USB C cable with all them.

I'm pretty amazed somebody would want to buy a brand new $1200 phone and turn off all the software-assisted features they paid for so they can have oddly long battery life, though. You might be the only person who thinks these new iPhones are on a "downward slope" or whatever - I think you're just out of the loop with technology.

Charging sucks a lot less on these new phones.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 21, 2022

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Even plugging a phone in at night is icky to me now. Get a wireless cradle on your nightstand and plop it down and don't even think about these things. The only place I still use a wired charger is on my couch in my living room and I have to use wired carplay but I only use carplay for trips where I need Waze.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dave posted:

Even plugging a phone in at night is icky to me now. Get a wireless cradle on your nightstand and plop it down and don't even think about these things. The only place I still use a wired charger is on my couch in my living room and I have to use wired carplay but I only use carplay for trips where I need Waze.

We have the exact same setup. Wireless cradle next to bed and my desk at work, wired cable at the sofa in the lounge and in my car for carplay. A setup that works pretty great for me.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Lol at being upset that your phone is at 50% after an entire week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I mean, at this point, why not just get a dumb prepaid flip phone and an iPod? Save yourself thousands of dollars in buying the phone and service on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I feel like my battery life is worse on my 14 Pro Max than it was on my 12 PM too. Widgets and Home Screen (thanks, autocapitalize) are only at 2% of battery, so if that can be believed it’s something else. AO display obviously costs something, but I’m not sure if that’s it.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Lightningproof posted:

I’ve been using Mela as a recipe app recently. Does everything I remember Paprika doing but less outdated design. Might be worth a look.

I decided to give this a go purely because I saw it’s by Silvio Rizzi, and I’ve been a Reeder user since day 1.

I scanned a recipe with the iPhone’s camera, and aside from a couple of minor character recognition errors it worked brilliantly. I like how you can define which parts of the page are name/ingredients/method all at once, it seems very simple and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! ☺️

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just tried Mela, I don’t like that you can’t tab back and forth between the ingredients and the instructions for a recipe like in Paprika, which is something I’m doing nearly constantly, and instead have to scroll back up and down between two points on a single page view. You also can’t cross out ingredients as you add them or tap a step in the instructions to highlight it as the one you’re currently on

e: looks like you *can* get instructions and ingredients side by side on an iPad, which is what I use to cook with most of the time anyway

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 21, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

On a related note, I am very bad about forcing myself to cook rather than eating takeout. If there is any app that can make it easier to shove simple to follow directions right in my face with easy recipies, I am all ears? I think it's on me though and there may not be an app to help.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TBH that sounds more like you want one of those Hello Fresh / Blue Apron / etc services that home delivers ingredients and recipes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TACD posted:

TBH that sounds more like you want one of those Hello Fresh / Blue Apron / etc services that home delivers ingredients and recipes

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inner Light posted:

On a related note, I am very bad about forcing myself to cook rather than eating takeout. If there is any app that can make it easier to shove simple to follow directions right in my face with easy recipies, I am all ears? I think it's on me though and there may not be an app to help.

How about one that lets me keep an inventory of my fridge/freezer/pantry and suggest stuff I can make with what's on hand. For those nights where you just don't give a poo poo what's on the plate.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Mealime does that job for me. Free tier is perfectly good, but the subscription has some nice recipes and features. It’ll auto-log a portion of the meal into your Health data once you’ve finished the ‘cooking mode’ steps too, if you allow it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TACD posted:

Oh, well that explains why Podcasts consistently uses more battery than any other app on my phone. Where can you see the frequency of background app refreshes? All I can find is a toggle to enable/disable them per app.

I don't know if there's any way to actually see the frequency, I just noticed there would be rss changes and downloads already complete when I would open the app even though I have background refresh off.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

How about one that lets me keep an inventory of my fridge/freezer/pantry and suggest stuff I can make with what's on hand. For those nights where you just don't give a poo poo what's on the plate.

Take a picture if your fridge and it tells you what to make based on what you have.

Idea shamelessly stolen from the Brick It app where you take a picture of Legos and it scans and tells you what you can build.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gay Retard posted:

I'm pretty amazed somebody would want to buy a brand new $1200 phone and turn off all the software-assisted features they paid for so they can have oddly long battery life, though. You might be the only person who thinks these new iPhones are on a "downward slope" or whatever - I think you're just out of the loop with technology.

Man , I should really start sharing some of my daily customer interactions in this thread. Like, all I got at the moment is people are loving crazy and honestly they just don’t think through it.

(This is not meant to be an attack on the poster asking the question, just that lol I am not amazed at like, anything anymore).

Weedle
May 31, 2006

no complaints here, this thing is a beast

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Subjunctive posted:

I feel like my battery life is worse on my 14 Pro Max than it was on my 12 PM too. Widgets and Home Screen (thanks, autocapitalize) are only at 2% of battery, so if that can be believed it’s something else. AO display obviously costs something, but I’m not sure if that’s it.

I definitely find the battery on the 14 Pro to be worse than the 13 Pro.
Could just be the AOD.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Wondering if you guys can help me.

We had a (now terminated) employee attach his personal iCloud account to a corporate iPhone. We're a pretty small gig so we don't have any official MDM or corporate policies to not do this.

Anyway, this employee was terminated on bad terms and is uncooperative in assisting the removal of this device from his account. I did an iPhone restore through iTunes but the device still says it's locked to the owner's apple id.

So my question is what are our options here? The device is owned by the company. Will our phone provider assist?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

kiwid posted:

We had a (now terminated) employee attach his personal iCloud account to a corporate iPhone. We're a pretty small gig so we don't have any official MDM or corporate policies to not do this.

Anyway, this employee was terminated on bad terms and is uncooperative in assisting the removal of this device from his account. I did an iPhone restore through iTunes but the device still says it's locked to the owner's apple id.

So my question is what are our options here? The device is owned by the company. Will our phone provider assist?

I think you just provide the company receipt with matching serial number and you are golden.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

~Coxy posted:

I definitely find the battery on the 14 Pro to be worse than the 13 Pro.
Could just be the AOD.

Might be a placebo but I feel like it's got better since the latest 16.2 beta that let you turn off the wallpaper on the AOD

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Inner Light posted:

You won't save nearly as much money as just looking up recipes and buying ingredients from the supermarket, but if you've got out of the habit of cooking, a good way to ease yourself into it is to get one of those box ingredient subscriptions for a few weeks. Hello Fresh and Gousto are the bigger ones here in the UK, but I'm sure a lot of countries are likely to have them at this point. They tend to have free trials for the first couple of weeks. You get all the right amounts of each ingredient for a set of meals you select, with a step by step recipe that's usually pretty simple. It'll get you into the habit, and before you know it you'll be cancelling the subscription and just getting your ingredients for yourself.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Re: charging I have a little USB-A/C power meter and I've noticed that my 14 Pro is a bit fucky about how it charges off a USB-A outlet.

When I would plug in my iPhone XS or when I plug in my iPad Air 3rd gen the power immediately jumps to 11.9W and stays there until the battery reaches 85% or so.

When I plug in my 14 Pro it kind of fucks around at 2-3W for a while (10-20 seconds), then ramps up to 8.9-9.5W with occasional spikes to 10-11W.

I suspect it has something to do with the phone looking for a USB-PD connection at first before giving up and somehow testing the outlet to see how much power it can provide. I know that some chargers try to discriminate between the type of phone attached to control how much power to supply and at what voltage (for quick charge) and I could totally see a car system defaulting to the lowest power delivery possible when it can't immediately figure out what the heck is connected.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

You won't save nearly as much money as just looking up recipes and buying ingredients from the supermarket, but if you've got out of the habit of cooking, a good way to ease yourself into it is to get one of those box ingredient subscriptions for a few weeks. Hello Fresh and Gousto are the bigger ones here in the UK, but I'm sure a lot of countries are likely to have them at this point. They tend to have free trials for the first couple of weeks. You get all the right amounts of each ingredient for a set of meals you select, with a step by step recipe that's usually pretty simple. It'll get you into the habit, and before you know it you'll be cancelling the subscription and just getting your ingredients for yourself.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been considering this but have yet to pull the trigger. I'll check one of those services out soon, definitely more than a few of them that are popular in the USA. It's hard when fast casual takeout is also relatively easy and inexpensive here in my major metro, but I can't be a goon that doesn't know how to cook for himself forever.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

kiwid posted:

Call Apple Business support. They'll ask you for the invoice with the serial as proof of ownership (I've used screenshots of devices in Apple School Manager, too). The process takes about 2 weeks.

I had to do this with a bunch of older iPads that didn't get enrolled properly in our MDM.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can someone explain to me the easiest way to transfer the photos from my mom's phone to either my Apple device or cloud? She died, and i want to preserve them if possible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sign into google photos or Dropbox on her phone using your account and let it back up all of her photos.

Sorry about your mom.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

withak posted:

Sign into google photos or Dropbox on her phone using your account and let it back up all of her photos.

Sorry about your mom.

Yeah.

I completely forgot Google can sync all your photos, i deleted it on my own phone cause when i tried moving photos from Google to iCloud, it would back THOSE up too (ffs Google).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 23, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mister Facetious posted:

Can someone explain to me the easiest way to transfer the photos from my mom's phone to either my Apple device or cloud? She died, and i want to preserve them if possible.

My condolences.
Probably the easiest option is to plug the phone into a computer with "Keep Originals" setting turned on.
Copy everything to the computer. If it's a PC you probably can't actually look at the photos (they will be HEIC) but at least you have another copy of everything.

Then to get them into your iCloud, you can upload them through iCloud Photos web interface.

If you don't have access to a computer at all, you can probably do some fuckery with Shared Photo Libraries.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I knew there was a good reason to keep my ten year old Mini!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

~Coxy posted:

My condolences.
Probably the easiest option is to plug the phone into a computer with "Keep Originals" setting turned on.
Copy everything to the computer. If it's a PC you probably can't actually look at the photos (they will be HEIC) but at least you have another copy of everything.

Then to get them into your iCloud, you can upload them through iCloud Photos web interface.

If you don't have access to a computer at all, you can probably do some fuckery with Shared Photo Libraries.

HEIC is totally viewable on Windows.

(you need the hevc codec pack that's either included with OEM PCs or the 99 cent one from the store)

Sorry for your loss.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been considering this but have yet to pull the trigger. I'll check one of those services out soon, definitely more than a few of them that are popular in the USA. It's hard when fast casual takeout is also relatively easy and inexpensive here in my major metro, but I can't be a goon that doesn't know how to cook for himself forever.

To add to this: I was a goon who could like, cook basic dry pasta and that was it. 2 years ago my wife had a lot going on so it pushed me to start slowly learning.

My advice: don’t worry yet about recipes per day. Learn to just cook individual meat / produce. Like, I would just get chicken thighs and learn to cook that. zucchini and learn to cook that. Then maybe I’m getting ground beef with a veg. And it slowly adds up. And if you’re only cooking for 1-2 it still makes enough food (I assume this is harder if you have kids. I don’t).

It almost sounds dumb, but the big thing that clicked in my mind was just learning the concept of cooking. Now, I don’t cook everything , and I still gently caress up on some cooking , but I can get stuff I feel like, maybe check to see how long I should cook it, and just riff off that.

it depends on if you are a recipe person or not. I personally hate following exact recipes (which is why I’m a horrible baker), but I’ll get the concept and riff off of it.

Also, don’t worry about spices, just buy a few from Penzy’s , they are both really good and cool.

Sorry for the de rail in the iPhone thread, I just really wanted to reply to this. To add content, anyone who buys an iPhone on payment plan on Verizon on Black Friday gets a free pair of Beats Studio buds.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i’ve had this ‘problem’ for over a decade. it’s with mail and my gmail account. whenever i'm on the screen with all of my inboxes and i swipe down to refresh it, sometimes it won’t update the number of unread. but most of the time, it will update the number of messages and just never load the messages until i restart the app.

at the same time, when i refresh in my gmail account’s inbox, it almost always will ‘check for mail’ and never actually load anything. i immediately restart, do the same thing, then the messages appear.

is mail just this unreliable? i tried fixing it nearly a decade ago and found nothing. still doing it to this day, on multiple phones, on multiple versions of ios.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

HEIC is totally viewable on Windows.

(you need the hevc codec pack that's either included with OEM PCs or the 99 cent one from the store)

Sorry for your loss.

you can do it for free with this https://www.copytrans.net/copytransheic/