Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

mlmp08: there was no invasion. technically, it was a special military operation so when you say russia invaded ukraine you are factually and literally wrong. sorry for being correct, tankies.

Technically correct is the best kind of correct. :eng101:

Weka posted:

Furthermore, Ukraine has recently invaded the capital of the Kherson oblast.

Indeed! Why won't the world condemn the imperialistic aggression of Lesser Ukraine? (formerly known as Ukraine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:shibe:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The artist formerly known as Z

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bankZ

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it is a bit impressive that they're working themselves back into fascism by militant anti-communist revisionism at a time where *there is no credible communist movement*. your house is falling apart on its own merits, stop insisting that it's the fault of the monster under the bed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GenZ

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
IMO communism has never been in a better position globally.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Weka posted:

stalin could have really used chinese high-speed rail in his bank robbery

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Weka posted:

Idk, there was that time frame where the USSR got the nuke and the sino-soviet split hadn't happened yet.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I feel you but America was booming of the war and the USSR and China not so much.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Weka posted:

as in it doesnt exist as any meaningful force at all?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Weka posted:

British state media reporting on Ukrainian war crimes, even if they don't actually draw any conclusions to answer their titular question of "Were Russian soldiers shot after surrendering?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63676446

something chilling about that "power wheels" electric children's mini car used as a point of reference

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Why would NATO have no reason to exist after the Cold War? Looking at the situation now in Europe is one reason why it's better for it to exist. Without NATO, if Russia again tries to "revive" it's former Soviet might, what deterrent would western Europe have?

And it's an alliance of countries that voluntarily joined it, so why would it not exist after the Cold War, especially that it got new members after that from the former Warsaw Pact countries, which are also not fond of the Soviet Union/Russia.

quote:

They even blame NATO expansionism for it, when they conveniently ignore that it's those ex-Warsaw Pact (Albania, Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia)/Soviet (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) nations themselves who voluntarily joined (and NATO accommodated them) and not coerced by Washington just for the sake of expanding NATO next to the Russian border.

quote:

As far as I know, the neo nazi formations in the Ukrainian national guard receive just private donations of weapons, their own gear they purchased, older weapons or "requisitioned" from other Ukrainian military units in the professional army.

The West has supplied weaponry to the Ukrainian state with priority given to their standing army, to say that the West is actively arming Ukrainian fascists is false. Do modern arms go to far right units? Of course they do, but it's a trickle down with regular army units receiving the western gear with the arms being distributed as needed.

Lastly, during times of conflict, interests align even if ideals dont. This was the case when both communist and nationalist resistance groups in france were armed by the Allies. Will neo nazi armed groups become a problem in Ukraine in the future? Probably, who knows. But right now a far bigger existential threat is literally on their doorstep, if western support ends, Ukraine as a nation, as a people ends.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 10:19 on Nov 21, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Al-Saqr posted:

as in it doesnt exist as any meaningful force at all?

Sure, provided Asia does not exist

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the big red asia.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this sounds like buying russian gas with extra steps

Look up where the EU buys its LNG from.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My "defensive alliance" sign on my short range first strike missiles is raising a lot of questions by the one country in range...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

Idk, there was that time frame where the USSR got the nuke and the sino-soviet split hadn't happened yet.

the Soviets were always weaker then the western powers combined. communist China has stolen the means of production from the capitalists. it's a more sneaky strategy than giving everyone in the world an ak47 and trying to make revolutions, but it's worked

Weka
May 5, 2019

Pictured: Deng eyeing up the means of production.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

You don't have to steal the means of production when the capitalists will just give it to you

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

"Deng hopped on Capital's back and started steering it around with a carrot dangling from a stick" remains my favorite summary of the last quarter of the 20th century.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Comrade Koba posted:

mlmp08: there was no invasion. technically, it was a special military operation so when you say russia invaded ukraine you are factually and literally wrong. sorry for being correct, tankies.

The SMO includes an invasion, not sure what point you are trying to make.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mlmp08 posted:

The SMO includes an invasion, not sure what point you are trying to make.

that you are being a dweeb

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Rememer
Hlodmor

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

that you are being a dweeb

Meh. A lot of people
didn’t believe Russia would invade. Others made the correct call. poo poo happens.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it fair to say it is the correct call when it took like 75(30?) years of breathless repeating.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Weka posted:

Furthermore, Ukraine has recently invaded the capital of the Kherson oblast.

DancingShade posted:

Indeed! Why won't the world condemn the imperialistic aggression of Lesser Ukraine? (formerly known as Ukraine)

Ukraine has been invading the Județ of Bugeac for over 30 years

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Is it fair to say it is the correct call when it took like 75(30?) years of breathless repeating.

The US warnings of invasion of Ukraine started in late fall/early winter of 2021 and grew in gravity and specificity leading up to the most recent invasion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
explains a lot about mlmp that he thinks making the same prediction over and over until it eventually comes true due to sheer coincidence is some sign of genius

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cerebral Bore posted:

explains a lot about mlmp that he thinks making the same prediction over and over until it eventually comes true due to sheer coincidence is some sign of genius

You can pretend to be smart by not knowing how anything actually happened, I guess. That completely ignores all the events from roughly 13 months ago through today, but then you can fill in the blanks with a self-serving and incorrect recall of the lead up to the war.

That kind of self-certainty led to multiple posts about the genius of Russian Operations vs Ukraine only being capable of tactics and Deep Warfare rather than simply looking at what was happening with clearer eyes and coming to obviously different conclusions.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The grumbling about giving stuff away to Ukraine has really picked up pace recently. There was previously a lot of bluster about it but it seems like giving away winter clothes without consultation rubbed people the wrong way.

Also, people are legitimately concerned about Freeland taking a top spot at NATO, not like you can blame them.

Russia’s mistake was not having Red Tabs run the show, clearly. Imagine Napoleon and his marshals not using columns, or Wellington not forming squares. A military is a system, you can’t discard doctrine.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Nov 21, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

The US warnings of invasion of Ukraine started in late fall/early winter of 2021

The US had been warning of a coming invasion of Ukraine going back to 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

The US had been warning of a coming invasion of Ukraine going back to 2014

I think there is a big difference from a boilerplate speech about “Russian Aggression” vs this kind of statement from early December of 2021:

““The Russian plans call for a military offensive against Ukraine as soon as early 2022 with a scale of forces twice what we saw this past spring during Russia’s snap exercise near Ukraine’s borders,” said an administration official, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information. “The plans involve extensive movement of 100 battalion tactical groups with an estimated 175,000 personnel, along with armor, artillery and equipment.”

If the quote above is, to you, the same as generally grumbling about a country, that’s just your personal interpretation.

There is a big difference, for example, in knowing that the US often uses an aggressive and interventionist foreign policy and noting a very real buildup of invasion forces along a border like the buildup to Desert Storm or OIF.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also I don’t know masterful it was that the US looked at satellite data that clearly showed a build up. I would have said that Cspam in February probably wasn’t as open as it should have been to other possibilities (a common issue) but at the same time it didn’t make that much sense in the context of available information and motives, and in some ways it still doesn’t.

It wasn’t the right call but I don’t think it was that unreasonable either.

————

I think the issue is that sometimes poo poo happens the way the US wants. It isn’t always the case but it happens.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

cspam prediction curse continues, that's why everyone predicts Russians to keep retreating now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Also I don’t know masterful it was that the US looked at satellite data that clearly showed a build up. I would have said that Cspam in February probably wasn’t as open as it should have been to other possibilities (a common issue) but at the same time it didn’t make that much sense in the context of available information and motives, and in some ways it still doesn’t.

It wasn’t the right call but I don’t think it was that unreasonable either.

Yeah.

Up through a portion of February, it still was plausible that it was a Russian threat and they could be dissuaded from attacking or limited to the donbass rather than going for full regime change. The US dodn’t reallly commit to Russia being sure of their plan to attack until mid to late February when the warnings went into overdrive. A lot of December, January and early February was several European powers and the US saying to Russia effectively “we see you are planning to invade your neighbor, but we recommend that you don’t do that, and we will support Ukraine.”

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Russian use of military buildups, war games and increased readiness during negotiations are extremely well known. They only indicate the use of force if no diplomatic pathway to resolve a crisis exists, and so US “foreknowledge” if anything indicates that there was no interest in avoiding war.

How many times now have we seen pressure on the Ukraine not to negotiate? Externally as well as internally, killing their own chief negotiator being an obvious example, Boris Johnson flying to Kiev to scuttle talks being another.

It’s no great feat to say “Russia will invade (if they see no peaceful resolution)”, if you are working to ensure that there is no peaceful resolution.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Nov 21, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

If the quote above is, to you, the same as generally grumbling about a country, that’s just your personal interpretation.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/germany-concerned-about-aggressive-nato-stance-on-ukraine-a-1022193.html

quote:

General Philip Breedlove, the top NATO commander in Europe, stepped before the press in Washington. Putin, the 59-year-old said, had once again "upped the ante" in eastern Ukraine -- with "well over a thousand combat vehicles, Russian combat forces, some of their most sophisticated air defense, battalions of artillery" having been sent to the Donbass. "What is clear," Breedlove said, "is that right now, it is not getting better. It is getting worse every day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

The Russian use of military buildups, war games and increased readiness during negotiations are extremely well known. They only indicate the use of force if no diplomatic pathway to resolve a crisis exists, and so US “foreknowledge” if anything indicates that there was no interest in avoiding war.

I don’t believe for a second that every snap exercise Russia has done (which is many of then) was a potential invasion that got negotiated away. Plenty of them are simply snap exercises as training and messaging. This most recent buildup to invade Ukraine was very different in size, scope, and intent.