Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

goatface posted:

Use YYYYDDD because you a freak who knows the day number for any calender date off the top of your head.

French republican calendar day names. Today is Chili (27 Vendémiaire), 231; tomorrow will be Tomato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

goatface posted:

Use YYYYDDD because you a freak who knows the day number for any calender date off the top of your head.

Frito-Lay does something like that. The jumble of numbers stamped on each bag of chips contains part of the Julian date (of manufacture). Some of the sales and delivery people are freaky good at figuring that out.

IIRC, the codes contain the day of week, time, plant number, line number, date, machine number, and operator number, but maybe not in that order.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Genesplicer posted:

Yeah, until the year 10000 rolls around, then it's Y2K all over again!

The thought of living that long fills me with a deep and terrible dread.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Frito-Lay does something like that. The jumble of numbers stamped on each bag of chips contains part of the Julian date (of manufacture). Some of the sales and delivery people are freaky good at figuring that out.

I choose to believe that this means that Frito-Lay is a venerable Eastern Orthodox organization and still follows the Julian Calendar during their manufacturing rites and I refuse to hear otherwise.

"Commonly used by astronomers and software"? That's just what they want you think.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

I choose to believe that this means that Frito-Lay is a venerable Eastern Orthodox organization and still follows the Julian Calendar during their manufacturing rites and I refuse to hear otherwise.

"Commonly used by astronomers and software"? That's just what they want you think.

Coca-Cola healed the great schism between East and West. Frito, Lays, and the Holy Ruffles, bless-ed be their name, stale in three months, dip is half way down the aisle, on racks hanging, fourth shelf from bottom.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Every food manufacturer uses that dating system, only variation is is YYYY ### or adding time or shift/lot codes

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
My PM and UX person were laid off.

Looks like things are about to get bad again.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

A Fancy Hat posted:

Yesterday my boss calls me and I ended up getting in trouble for not following the "proper chain of command" and bringing the issue to him first.
This never fails to amuse me. I've worked in mixed military and civilian teams and it's always the civilians who are insisting on a rigid chain of command. They don't know how to make it work, which leads communication breakdowns. In one team I got a dressing down from my manager for talking to the boss without the permission of my manager and my manager's manager and my manager's manager's manager. I decided to follow their rules to the letter and only communicate with my manager. They got very angry when I left without their knowledge; I told my manager but he didn't report it up the chain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Consumer products use ordinal date but everyone calls it Julian cause it sounds cooler. Ordinal date is really easy when you deal with it daily. The people conversational in it are all those doing stock rotation so they know in the back of their head today's ordinal, next Mondays ordinal etc. and just need to iterate them in their head every week. From there it's just +-7 to get today's or yesterday's or tomorrow's.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Here in Glorious Nippon it's YYYY/MM/DD, although sometimes it's the imperial year, which is really confusing. Fortunately, it's easy enough to search online.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

Here in Glorious Nippon it's YYYY/MM/DD, although sometimes it's the imperial year, which is really confusing. Fortunately, it's easy enough to search online.

I have documents in MM/DD and DD/MM format at work, with no rhyme or reason in Japan. My server is a nightmare of deducing when something was made or a project is due.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

I have documents in MM/DD and DD/MM format at work, with no rhyme or reason in Japan. My server is a nightmare of deducing when something was made or a project is due.

Okay. IME. Which is admittedly limited.

I still hate dealing with imperial years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

Okay. IME. Which is admittedly limited.

I still hate dealing with imperial years.

Every document with imperial years is the worst and that includes a weirdly large number of important government documents.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

Every document with imperial years is the worst and that includes a weirdly large number of important government documents.

This checks out. Tax documents for the brewery use that system. It sucks.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

boar guy posted:

sure, we should do a roaring twenties theme for the holiday party as the country teeters on the precipice of a recession and facism is once again rearing its head

just...perfect, really

Lmao poo poo, do we work at the same company?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Plucky Brit posted:

This never fails to amuse me. I've worked in mixed military and civilian teams and it's always the civilians who are insisting on a rigid chain of command. They don't know how to make it work, which leads communication breakdowns. In one team I got a dressing down from my manager for talking to the boss without the permission of my manager and my manager's manager and my manager's manager's manager. I decided to follow their rules to the letter and only communicate with my manager. They got very angry when I left without their knowledge; I told my manager but he didn't report it up the chain.

My team is subject to FOIA requests, so the big boss has a clear directive (expressed orally) that written communications must be kept to a minimum or not done at all. Thus everything is game-of-telephone around here. I got a dressing down from my manager and my manager's manager for some minor mistake on the exact workflow issue you described that had occurred six months prior. The game-of-telephone had spun it around so much that the incident lost any resemblance to what they were yelling at me about. I told them that they were having some difficulty operating with accurate information and that while I appreciated the reminder to do thing xyz, I rejected the notion that I had intentionally worked to sabotage policy xyz. I think I made a corporate enemy for life that day, my manager's manager was pissed and hasn't spoken to me since.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BigHead posted:

, my manager's manager was pissed and hasn't spoken to me since.

Sounds like a win to me

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A Fancy Hat posted:

I was on a conference call Monday where a manager berated some poor guy (not even his employee) for about 15 minutes for no good reason. The guy asked a question and this manager just tore into him, basically disregarding the question and acting like the whole thing was a waste of time. Absolutely gross and unprofessional behavior.

I ended up emailing HR about it since it bothered me so much. Spoke with someone on Tuesday, they said all of this was anonymous and nobody would know I specifically brought up this issue, it was actually a pretty good conversation and I felt like something might come of this. Yesterday my boss calls me and I ended up getting in trouble for not following the "proper chain of command" and bringing the issue to him first. Even though he wasn't on the call, would have no idea what I'm talking about, and would have just sent it up to HR anyway.

Also really nice to know my "anonymous" conversation with HR was anything but.

This is why I was once told to use a throwaway anonymous gmail account or whatever to alert HR of basically anything like this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'd definitely use an address like 'Snitcherbot42069@gmail.con' and they'd immediately know it was me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Use the name of an employee you don't like to throw them under the bus instead.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

withoutclass posted:

Use the name of an employee you don't like to throw them under the bus instead.

Do it with your own name and claim the person you don’t like must’ve done it

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Scientastic posted:

Do it with your own name and claim the person you don’t like must’ve done it

Use the name of the HR manager, claim to be the real them

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Use the name of the HR manager, claim to be the real them

Step 3: Fire HR manager for impersonating a coworker.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Find an unpleasant coworker with distinctive font choice / writing style / spelling errors. Remove metadata, send anonymously. If people want to have fun playing detective, let them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I wonder if A Fancy Hat takes commissions.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Atopian posted:

Find an unpleasant coworker with distinctive font choice / writing style / spelling errors. Remove metadata, send anonymously. If people want to have fun playing detective, let them.

Imitate the person in your organization that uses seven different fonts, three font sizes, four colors, italics bold and underline, and seemingly random paragraph breaks/tabbing in their emails. No matter how nice this person is they deserve whatever fallout they get.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This reminds me of the time management tried to trick us into giving handwriting samples with some inane mandatory fun activities.

Turns out some absolute nut had started sabotaging a variety of utilities around the building and leaving hidden notes behind about how they were never going to stop, and taunting the maintenance people who found them while trying to fix the problems.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It turns out that whole cone hops are a bit of a pain in the rear end on our system. At least I'm pretty sure that the Biere de Nöel is gonna be pretty rad!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

History Comes Inside! posted:

This reminds me of the time management tried to trick us into giving handwriting samples with some inane mandatory fun activities.

Turns out some absolute nut had started sabotaging a variety of utilities around the building and leaving hidden notes behind about how they were never going to stop, and taunting the maintenance people who found them while trying to fix the problems.

Lol, did they get caught?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, about 18 months into this dude’s reign of terror (we are pretty sure it was a dude since when they interfered with a restroom it was always one of the men’s) Covid happened.

We’re still ~95% WFH so they’re most likely also still at home and just terrorising whoever they live with instead. They may also have been one of the many people who have quit since then, or already back in the office and laying low until there are more people there to provide cover for their guerrilla tactics.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Orvin posted:

My company just sent out a notice that pretty much amounted to COVID is over. Even vaccinated people don’t get extra sick time if the pop positive and have to isolate. At least most of the managers in my departments are pretty good about letting people stay home the two days a week they are supposed to be in the office if they are showing any generic cold/flu symptoms.

:same: at my workplace, about a month back they decided:

- Masks & temperature checking were no longer mandatory
- Nobody has to wear their contact FOBs around the building
- No extra sick leave for COVID

Myself & a few others ended up getting COVID about a week after this went into effect :lol: that was a fun time listening to my manager & others complain about the short staffing with so many people being out sick/WFH. loving idiots.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BigHead posted:

Imitate the person in your organization that uses seven different fonts, three font sizes, four colors, italics bold and underline, and seemingly random paragraph breaks/tabbing in their emails. No matter how nice this person is they deserve whatever fallout they get.

At my company it would either be the person who randomly capitalizes entire WORDS in whatever she's writing, or the person who writes her entire life story in the subject field.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

At my company it would either be the person who randomly capitalizes entire WORDS in whatever she's writing, or the person who writes her entire life story in the subject field.

Okay, here's a summary Google sheets, can you please add your project and one or two line description.

*Literally three loving paragraphs. Then starts improving other project descriptions as they don't have enough information. Refuses to trim anything down as 'its all important'*

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BigHead posted:

~~think about the eNvIrOnMeNt before printing this

post~~

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

No, about 18 months into this dude’s reign of terror (we are pretty sure it was a dude since when they interfered with a restroom it was always one of the men’s) Covid happened.

We’re still ~95% WFH so they’re most likely also still at home and just terrorising whoever they live with instead. They may also have been one of the many people who have quit since then, or already back in the office and laying low until there are more people there to provide cover for their guerrilla tactics.

Were they just being a jerk or were they a "The Mad Shitter of Texas Instruments" level folk hero?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are mandatory office Christmas parties a thing anywhere else?

I just started a new job about a month and a half ago and they're doing an office Christmas party that my boss told me I'm basically soft-required to attend, because the company owner really wants the whole staff to be there. Only problem is it's at the main office, which is like a 4-hour drive from my house. Also I don't want to go.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Four hours away? They can get hosed if they don't pay for your travel.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah mine is a 3 hour drive on a friday and both ways will be in rush hour traffic. can't drink, can't bring my spouse because it's on a workday

i'd tell them to get hosed but i already told them to get hosed on coming in to the office once a month so blowing this off is probably pushing it

i need a really great ironic roaring 20's costume that stupid people won't understand to wear to it, any suggestions?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Spark Plug the comic strip racehorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Someone keeps trying to explain technical engineering concepts to me because he watched a youtube video