Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You always have time for family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Everyone wants in on the family now. I assume Rita will have a tiny segment like Mirren gets now. Or maybe both family matriarchs riding on a mission tighter…

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

checkplease posted:

Everyone wants in on the family now. I assume Rita will have a tiny segment like Mirren gets now. Or maybe both family matriarchs riding on a mission tighter…

We still haven’t got that all ladies F&F spin-off

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i hope comcast doesnt have lin by the balls due to his tv production studio and he gets to jump ship to warner where he'll be forced to make the mr freeze hbomax show

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The franchise definitely does not need more Torettos, lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A terminal case of Torettos' Syndrome, where the afflicted individual says "family" when under stress.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vin Diesel smashes a phone every day when he tries to enter FAMLY into Wordle and it doesn't work.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Rita Moreno has been cast as Grandma Toretto because that's exactly what the franchise needs, more characters. They barely have time for any of their current cast.

Rita Moreno is cool though, and since she's like 91 she'll be in the movie for all of 20 seconds

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rita Moreno is cool though, and since she's like 91 she'll be in the movie for all of 20 seconds

"We all gotta protect each other, we're family! Right, nonna?"
"I --"
"Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. Now let's ride!"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
So they're doubling down on the Torettos being Latino.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

live with fruit posted:

So they're doubling down on the Torettos being Latino.
Is it so weird that he can have a sister from brazil and a cousin from cuba and a mother from puerto rico?

https://twitter.com/CromFourWinds/status/1529794292776112129

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/PomeFanJappy/status/1535060564883681281

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://www.thewrap.com/universal-box-office-future-fast-furious/

Budget up to $340 million for fast 10, where are those cars going where they don’t belong now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alternate dimensions? The Fast & the Multi-Ver-i-erse

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I think someone posted here or on twitter once they should go back in time and help OG vin diesel and cgi Paul walker steal VCRs from the first film, because hidden inside one of them is the torque elemental stone which is used to defeat the car god

It’s obvious really

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

teacup posted:

I think someone posted here or on twitter once they should go back in time and help OG vin diesel and cgi Paul walker steal VCRs from the first film, because hidden inside one of them is the torque elemental stone which is used to defeat the car god

It’s obvious really
Back To The Future 2 it - one of their many, many enemies goes back in time to sabotage the VCR theft and erase the Fastverse from existence, and the entire gang is greenscreened into the background of shots from the first movie (with lots of reverse angles of youthful body doubles and deepfakes) as they try to repair history.

Seriously, though, over a third of a billion dollars budget for the goofy car-based action movie? :wtc:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Payndz posted:

Back To The Future 2 it - one of their many, many enemies goes back in time to sabotage the VCR theft and erase the Fastverse from existence, and the entire gang is greenscreened into the background of shots from the first movie (with lots of reverse angles of youthful body doubles and deepfakes) as they try to repair history.

Seriously, though, over a third of a billion dollars budget for the goofy car-based action movie? :wtc:
It is no doubt a lot to do with a giant cast with the pay for it being the 10th movie. Even "new" characters like Ramsey will be in their 4th movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I would simply not expand the cast so much

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Stairmaster posted:

I would simply not expand the cast so much

What if they brought Jesse back?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The classic that started it all the way it was meant to be seen
https://twitter.com/anally_retended/status/1593606850762637313

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

F.D. Signifier posted:

The classic that started it all the way it was meant to be seen
https://twitter.com/anally_retended/status/1593606850762637313

What was it? Twitter is such a poo poo show now the tweet is gone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AFewBricksShy posted:

What was it? Twitter is such a poo poo show now the tweet is gone.

Twitter's copyright checking was apparently broken or is MIA so people have been tweeting entire movies. That was just someone tweeting the first F&F.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Payndz posted:

That plot except they're inserted into this movie which was written by Roger Corman.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

found out a few days ago that a couple friends of mine have never seen ANY of the fast films, so they asked me to pick a few and we’re gonna marathon ‘em tomorrow.

I chose
Fast and the Furious
Tokyo Drift
Fast 5
Furious 7

what would y’all pick if you had a day to introduce folks to the series if you had three or four to choose from?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that's fun stuff. For me I'd probably do 1,4,5 right away, then do 2 and 3 the next time. The ending of 4 is legendary.

Tokyo Drift may be the better movie, but I like the epic gravitas of the Paul/Dom saga with 4, making 5 even more powerful. Does seem like a fine series to mix around like a comic book reading order. I concur you picked the four best movies in the series I'd say, plus good group viewing picks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Am I the only person whose favorite is Fast 6?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Depends on how many movies you want to do. I go 1, 5,6,7. If you got time can add 4 in for some continuity and ending like other said. 9 can also be fun for a group for just how crazy series gets with magnets and going to space.

I feel like Tokyo drift depends on group a little. It’s pretty corny and lead is weak, but it’s a lot fun if you just embrace all that. The later films are big action blockbusters and more likely to please.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Me. Best crew interaction and last time the entire gang is fully involved

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

6 is great. When I think about it compared to 5 I don't recall exactly what it was about 5 that rates it higher. Maybe the heist film just appeals to me more than how from 6 onward they went more Mission: Impossible with it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Fast 6 has the scene where Dom crashes his car to launch himself across a bridge gap to catch Letty in mid-air and land on a windshield to save her. It is my favorite moment in the series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The highway tank scene may be the best in the series. I remember the audience reaction when Dom saved Letty, too. That mix of incredulous but appreciative laughter.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lobok posted:

The highway tank scene may be the best in the series. I remember the audience reaction when Dom saved Letty, too. That mix of incredulous but appreciative laughter.

Yeah my theater went nuts when that happened

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
And then they follow it up with the plane sequence (which does an amazing job integrating a fairly large ensemble cast)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I had never seen a single Fast movie until like a year ago, and I watched them in order. There’s something beautiful about watching the series evolve from Point Break but Cars to Superheroes but Cars in such a short period of time. I binged them all like a TV show, just one to the next. I think it’s the best way to watch them, but otherwise I’d probably say 1, 4, 5, and 7 which tells a pretty full arc for the two mains.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MokBa posted:

I had never seen a single Fast movie until like a year ago, and I watched them in order. There’s something beautiful about watching the series evolve from Point Break but Cars to Superheroes but Cars in such a short period of time. I binged them all like a TV show, just one to the next. I think it’s the best way to watch them, but otherwise I’d probably say 1, 4, 5, and 7 which tells a pretty full arc for the two mains.

I mostly agree but I think it's more 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7. You really need 6 in there to take them from "talented auto-based lovable criminals" to "super spies with cars."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you're going to do 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7 you might as well throw 2 in there and get the whole Brian hexology.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

one of the friends got way too shitfaced way too fast so I called an audible and we just did 1, Tokyo Drift, and 7.

Also wheeee I got to find out in front of other people that I still cry at the end of 7 like a little tittybaby.

The looks on their faces when the exchange between Dom and Sean at the end of TD was DELIGHTFUL. it’ll never get old.

“I didn’t know Han was into American muscle”
“He was when he was riding with me :smug:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Lobok posted:

If you're going to do 1, 4, 5, 6, and 7 you might as well throw 2 in there and get the whole Brian hexology.

You could. I just think 6 is critical to the Brian/Dom relationship because of the undercover prison part. That's Brian risking a fate that Dom would likely consider worse than death (trapped for the rest of his life in a cage) for the sake of Dom's love for Letty.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I would do this order, if you must pick one;

Fast & Furious, as it's the original and sets the scene.
2 Fast 2 Furious, it's immediate followup adds a lot of new characters.
Tokyo Drift, as a little reprieve and intro of the crucial Han character
Fast & Furious, returning to the Brian / Dom story.
Fast 5, probably the best overall story and a movie where The Rock isn't annoying. Has the best action on the highway and in Brazil. This is where espionage and intrigue really ramp up.
Fast 6 continues the main story a lot, and has a few big character moments.
Furious 7 expands thing out a bit, completing the transition to super spy stuff. This is where Paul Walker exits, so has a bit of an emotional impact for a lot of people.
The Fate of the Furious has Statham's character in a larger capacity, continuing the theme of villains becoming allies.
F9 is the most recent and is there fore crucial for watching the finale installments.

That's my 2c!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

6 is the high water mark of the franchise and 7 is a historical curiosity. Most of the rest are pretty bad but pay for a lot of swimming pools for actors who often would otherwise be marginalized by the racist studio system.