Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Where can I find replacement led lights for this style hood? My Google search apparently sucks today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rythe posted:

Where can I find replacement led lights for this style hood? My Google search apparently sucks today.

if you’re dead-set on keeping the hood I’d probably just rip all the lights out and find any decent inexpensive LED strip for a couple bucks and splice + glue that in (probably best to get something at least nominally waterproof/waterfast).

if it were me, I’d probably just replace that lid with something else entirely, maybe a glass or acrylic lid (these are extremely easy to DIY if you can’t find one that fits/that you like) or a screen lid of some sort, plus an inexpensive Hygger/etc lamp.

Black Friday is coming up and Petco/etc tend to put all of their tanks on sale. 2.5/5/10gal rimless Aqueon brand dealies will probably be half price (so $25 for a rimless 10gal which is pretty sweet IMO), lids/etc will be discounted, rimmed tanks will probably be priced at $1/gal, and various packs/cube tanks/etc will be anywhere from 20 to 40% off. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to upgrade or switch things up if you so desire.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you’re dead-set on keeping the hood I’d probably just rip all the lights out and find any decent inexpensive LED strip for a couple bucks and splice + glue that in (probably best to get something at least nominally waterproof/waterfast).

if it were me, I’d probably just replace that lid with something else entirely, maybe a glass or acrylic lid (these are extremely easy to DIY if you can’t find one that fits/that you like) or a screen lid of some sort, plus an inexpensive Hygger/etc lamp.

Black Friday is coming up and Petco/etc tend to put all of their tanks on sale. 2.5/5/10gal rimless Aqueon brand dealies will probably be half price (so $25 for a rimless 10gal which is pretty sweet IMO), lids/etc will be discounted, rimmed tanks will probably be priced at $1/gal, and various packs/cube tanks/etc will be anywhere from 20 to 40% off. Perhaps this is an opportunity for you to upgrade or switch things up if you so desire.

The waterproof led strip would be the easiest method and super cheap to do, that's a good idea. I'll probably keep the hood as it functions well and I as much as I like to upgrade I already have a 20, 25 and 45 I'm the house but my wife is opened to a 75 soon....

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’ve tried water proof flexible LED strips and found that they degrade over time, the best replacement for hood lights that I’ve found on eBay are LEDs inside a clear tube with stoppers on each end and a replaceable power supply. You can suction cup them to the hood or I’ve also used looped cable ties as hangers that won’t unstick. There’s someone cheaply making these in China and importing to Australia and the ones that I like best are a mix of white and blue. It’s worth looking into LED types, initially smd5050 (for rgb) or smd3528 were a good size/brightness but there are even brighter ones now like smd3020. The sellers don’t always list the LED type though, really just getting simple single colour LEDs made sure they were bright enough since I’ve found the colour changing LEDs are both dimmer and have more parts that could fail.

I am committed to keeping the hoods on my hooded tanks because the difference it makes in evaporation is significant for me. I haven’t found there to be any kind of sensible replacement available in my region either. Sometimes the tank manufacturer sells replacements but instead of just lights they want to sell a whole hood assembly which is kind of ridiculous and makes it overpriced.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I am committed to keeping the hoods on my hooded tanks because the difference it makes in evaporation is significant for me. I haven’t found there to be any kind of sensible replacement available in my region either. Sometimes the tank manufacturer sells replacements but instead of just lights they want to sell a whole hood assembly which is kind of ridiculous and makes it overpriced.

the sensible replacement is a glass or acrylic or screen lid, and then you put a decent aquarium light over top of it (unless you have fish that, like, need the visible barrier not to jump or whatever)

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I get what you’re saying but I can’t just buy those things here. For example if I ordered some acrylic online, a piece to cover a 2 foot tank:

I guess I could pay that, but that’s why I said “sensible”. I could almost buy a whole new 2 foot tank for that money!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

You in Aus Stoca? If so, try these guys.

I literally just got a custom lid for my 2 foot tank from them and it was $170, and that was 6mm acrylic with a ton of extra cutting that probably added a chunk to the price. I reckon if you want 4.5mm and a straight rectangle you'd probably get closer to $100, maybe even less.

Still not as cheap as Americans get it, but not $250!

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

I've had a piece of glass cut to size at a local big box hardware store. Like just a generic piece of replacement glass. Do the hardware stores in Australia offer something like that?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I get what you’re saying but I can’t just buy those things here. For example if I ordered some acrylic online, a piece to cover a 2 foot tank:

I guess I could pay that, but that’s why I said “sensible”. I could almost buy a whole new 2 foot tank for that money!

I’m spoiled by American prices but I can currently buy a 24” x 12” hinged glass lid from a chain pet store (or Amazon) for $22. Personally I’m not the biggest fan of those lids, but they’re the best/cheapest option if you don’t want to do any cutting.

That said, I’ve put together my own lids using both hardware store glass or hardware store acrylic and acrylic hinges/hasps/etc purchased online and come out to similar “tens of dollars” pricing.

Buying acrylic online is stupid expensive, especially if you want it cut to size—which isn’t really very difficult to DIY if you’re at all handy/have a circular saw or cheap acrylic scoring+cutting kit.

Manta posted:

I've had a piece of glass cut to size at a local big box hardware store. Like just a generic piece of replacement glass. Do the hardware stores in Australia offer something like that?

Apropos of this—I busted one of the back corners of my new thrifted Nuvo16 by accidentally walking it into a doorframe and now the whole back panel has gotta be replaced.

I know Innovative Marine sells parts and does some degree of warranty stuff. Obviously my secondhand tank doesn’t qualify for warranty poo poo and plus I hear that the warranty support mostly extends to “big discount on a new replacement”.

Does anybody know if they’ll sell me a new back panel? It’s pretty thick glass, I’m thinking 3/8” (gotta borrow my dad’s micrometer to check) and I don’t think I can get that stuff at Home Despot. I suppose a local glass store, of which there appear to be several nearby, would be happy to oblige.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I lost one of my shrimp and I don't know why. I feel terrible. I'm going to stare at the tank for the rest of the day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Lareine posted:

I lost one of my shrimp and I don't know why. I feel terrible. I'm going to stare at the tank for the rest of the day.

The sad thing is most inverts don't live very long. My serpent star died a few months ago; I only had him for about 2 months but some times I still look in the tank and expect that octopus-looking dude to show up.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I bought a new tank light, but didnt check to see if its got a mechanical switch, so it needs to be switched on manually every time my power board turns off for the night. Is there some method im missing about how people do this?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Instead of acrylic, you can also just cut a greenhouse panel to be a lid. There are double walled versions to keep a flat surface if you want.

The hardish part will be finding clips if this is a rimless tank.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Instead of acrylic, you can also just cut a greenhouse panel to be a lid. There are double walled versions to keep a flat surface if you want.

The hardish part will be finding clips if this is a rimless tank.

Beff Jezos can help you with that

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

I've got a nitrogen deficiency going on in my pygmy chain swords. The new daughter plants are all nice and green but the original clumps are starting to get yellow in the old leaves. Problem is that Flourish really doesn't do nitrogen, at least not the original formulation. You have to get Flourish Nitrogen or something. In any case, I've got to order something because my shrimp certainly aren't going to contribute enough waste to make enough nitrates.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Lareine posted:

I've got a nitrogen deficiency going on in my pygmy chain swords. The new daughter plants are all nice and green but the original clumps are starting to get yellow in the old leaves. Problem is that Flourish really doesn't do nitrogen, at least not the original formulation. You have to get Flourish Nitrogen or something. In any case, I've got to order something because my shrimp certainly aren't going to contribute enough waste to make enough nitrates.

Fertilizer. Or overfeed, but that creates other problems

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So I'm on Week 2 of Rid Ich Plus in my 55g freshwater tank. Today, both of my Spotted Rafael catfish died. Both were discovered puffy and floating at the surface with no visible injuries or disease. I know catfish are delicate when it comes to meds but Rid Ich Plus boasts about being safe for scaleless fish on the bottle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I always have a hard time with poo poo like ich because 90% of my fish are scaleless, so I can't medicate. I do, however, use heat. Ich stops reproducing at 85* and dies at 86*. The hard thing is if your fish can't handle it, but slowly raising the temperature, and daily water changes, and few feedings, usually does it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Any clue what's wrong with this guy? The patch on his side... Infection?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I got some pictures of my banggai pair. I really hope they make fry soon :-)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love them so much. SO much. If i had a bigger tank than 29 gallons I'd want some.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I love them so much. SO much. If i had a bigger tank than 29 gallons I'd want some.

You could probably do a pair in a 29 if there was little to nothing else in there in terms of fish. I certainly wouldn't go smaller and definitely nothing but a solo or a pair.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You could probably do a pair in a 29 if there was little to nothing else in there in terms of fish. I certainly wouldn't go smaller and definitely nothing but a solo or a pair.

Got two pencil urchins and two chocolate chip stars. Maybe?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Got two pencil urchins and two chocolate chip stars. Maybe?

I'd try it. Either see if you can get a pair of get 3 and plan on finding a home for the odd fish out.

One more reason for multiple tanks :⁠-⁠)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Just got given a 150l tank plus a bunch of fertilisers, root tabs and other misc stuff. I love buy nothing sometimes.

Got nowhere to actually put it though, so im probably going to have to buy a storage solution for it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
My fish has developed a bit of a bloated belly over the last week or so.

Behavior-wise not much has changed, he was feeding quite aggressively over the past few days. I netted him (he's big so it made a hell of a mess) and examined the area, didn't notice any raised scales but he does have very small, fine scales though so maybe dropsy wouldn't be as obvious. The swelling was quite soft to the touch with no lumps or hard spots.

He seems to be making GBS threads normally, there was a big old turd sitting in there when I got home from work today. No sign of worms that I've seen. He's the only occupant of the tank and the food is either earthworms or chunks of frozen sardine so I think the chances of it being something parasitic are low.

I changed the water a few days ago because it was getting a little smelly.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should check for.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

My fish has developed a bit of a bloated belly over the last week or so.

Behavior-wise not much has changed, he was feeding quite aggressively over the past few days. I netted him (he's big so it made a hell of a mess) and examined the area, didn't notice any raised scales but he does have very small, fine scales though so maybe dropsy wouldn't be as obvious. The swelling was quite soft to the touch with no lumps or hard spots.

He seems to be making GBS threads normally, there was a big old turd sitting in there when I got home from work today. No sign of worms that I've seen. He's the only occupant of the tank and the food is either earthworms or chunks of frozen sardine so I think the chances of it being something parasitic are low.

I changed the water a few days ago because it was getting a little smelly.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should check for.

What kind of fish? Tank parameters?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Fat fish? Big poops? Maybe your fish is a female full of eggs because they're so well conditioned from a big supply of decent food. Probably should water change before the water gets so bad that you can smell it though.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Stoca Zola posted:

Fat fish? Big poops? Maybe your fish is a female full of eggs because they're so well conditioned from a big supply of decent food. Probably should water change before the water gets so bad that you can smell it though.

It could be eggs I guess, although I haven't been feeding it heaps. Just once a week or so.

The water is a bit tricky to manage, it's a big fish that pumps out big poops which can make the water smell quite quickly if I'm not on top of it. I need a bigger tank but I'm planning on moving to a more permanent place in the next 6 months or so and don't want to get a 2m long tank only to have to move it in a few months.

Fish is a blackfish: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_blackfish

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe throw another filter on there, not sure what kind of plants you have in your disposal, but usually duckweed help sucks up a bunch of nitrates.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I remember you posting about a big fish before, is this the same one? I vaguely remember a health scare so I hope that amounted to nothing and its the same big fat old healthy fish.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe throw another filter on there, not sure what kind of plants you have in your disposal, but usually duckweed help sucks up a bunch of nitrates.

My advice is to use a larger floating plant for that. Duckweed gets everywhere, whereas something like dwarf water lettuce grows fast but bigger, giving you less mess in the tank and an easier task in pulling a clump of it out.

The important bit is that it floats on the surface with free-floating roots under it. Being on the surface means it can pull CO2 from the air (avoiding a major underwater plant bottleneck) and gets maximum light for OPTIMUM PHOTOSYNTHESIS. Free floating roots mean it will pull everything else it needs out of the water column for all that photosynthesizing it's gonna be doing.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think water lettuce and even frog bit, is illegal a lot of places in AU, I've got water sprite/Indian water fern doing ok as a floating plant and I've got bacopa cuttings growing emerging out of water quite well too. Plants need decent light to munch nitrates though. I feel like live plants help a lot to smooth out nutrient spikes and stability is always good.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Warbadger posted:

My advice is to use a larger floating plant for that. Duckweed gets everywhere, whereas something like dwarf water lettuce grows fast but bigger, giving you less mess in the tank and an easier task in pulling a clump of it out.

The important bit is that it floats on the surface with free-floating roots under it. Being on the surface means it can pull CO2 from the air (avoiding a major underwater plant bottleneck) and gets maximum light for OPTIMUM PHOTOSYNTHESIS. Free floating roots mean it will pull everything else it needs out of the water column for all that photosynthesizing it's gonna be doing.
Been using pothos for this, since the swarm of mystery snails have been eating all the floaters so far.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Water lettuce, in my short experience, seems to be able to soak up nitrates and convert it into making new water lettuce plants very efficiently

There is probably a correlation between nitrate conversion efficiency and how many places it's banned

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Aggressive growth habit is something common with a lot of invasive plants. Mmmmm fish poop makes em grow good and fast!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There is probably a correlation between nitrate conversion efficiency and how many places it's banned

I see that with the egeria densa. It's had a ton of new growth in only a month and it's banned in 21 states.

Anyway, I picked up some mystery snails. I sure hope they don't eat any living plants.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lareine posted:

I see that with the egeria densa. It's had a ton of new growth in only a month and it's banned in 21 states.

Anyway, I picked up some mystery snails. I sure hope they don't eat any living plants.

I am pretty sure they will. Just gotta hope that there is more new growth than what they go through.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lareine posted:

I've noticed they stay away from the living stuff if they're well fed. If you let some eggs hatch, by the time the snails are about mid way through growing, you'll be scooping handfuls of feed into the tank every day, or wondering where all the frogbit roots have gone? And didn't there used to be duckweed in here? And oh god, where is this mountain of mulm coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

I've noticed they stay away from the living stuff if they're well fed. If you let some eggs hatch, by the time the snails are about mid way through growing, you'll be scooping handfuls of feed into the tank every day, or wondering where all the frogbit roots have gone? And didn't there used to be duckweed in here? And oh god, where is this mountain of mulm coming from?

The idea is to make sure they don't breed which is easier to do than with pest snails but not as easy as nerite snails.