Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Didn't vermintide2 have a issue where they sped up the glacial slow crafting speeds and that ended up regularly crashing the game for people because the game couldn't keep up with the new speed?

The crafting button did a backend call everytime it was pushed, so the cooldown on the reroll/craft button was present as an actual rate limiter. They reduced it greatly at some point and it ended up breaking the backend, so then they increased it again. I think theyve since fixed it because there are insta-craft mods now that don't seem to make everything explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Orv posted:

While I don't disagree, remember that in the closed beta people didn't share crafting material pickups - which is in itself absolutely absurd - so I suspect they had to rapidly revamp whatever ridiculous bullshit the crafting system was.

IIRC the materials were split between players, but only the person picking up the drop got credit for it in the weekly challenges, same with the tomes and grims at that time. The latter has been fixed, stands to reason that if materials are still world drops that those will count too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Have I missed any major effort posts on Darktide tips and strategies? I have a lot of general questions:

What's the best way to deal with a pox hound? Shove? Dodge? Shoot? I've been caught more than once because they went straight past a closer team mate to charge me and I wasn't really planning on having to juke them myself.

Do we have a list of when the head ISN'T a weak point and what, in those circumstances, is?

Do blocks only work on front attacks?

Does dodging have iframes? Does it only apply go melee?

When does the game have Friendly Fire? Does it hit toughness or health?

It saves your place on partial reloads but you can't cancel out of, say, racking the bolt, is that right?

Say I'm stuck behind some low cover with no toughness and las gun enemies are firing at me. How do I best get out of there? Wait for my toughness to recharge from coherency? Take out my own gun and pin them? Relatedly, is there a reliable way to rapidly close the last couple meters on an enemy that's about to shoot me? Do some melee weapons charge forward more in their moveset?

Does anyone have any map specific tips on where and how to perform certain set pieces? How about the one where you raid the train for pick ups you bring to a shipping container?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have I missed any major effort posts on Darktide tips and strategies? I have a lot of general questions?

Shove.

I don’t think anything but the head and the Beast of Nurgle back are discrete weak points. A lot of armored enemies have unarmored parts which effectively serve as them but don’t count for weapon traits.

Unsure, blocking while reviving is 360 at least.

Effectively, also applies to ranged. Sliding also gives ranged attack iframes.

Currently nothing has friendly fire as far as I’m aware.

Correct.

Fire at them a few times and then dodge slide repeatedly to tall cover.

Orv fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 21, 2022

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I've only played a little so take this with a pinch of salt but I think block is only front, at least it feels that way. For friendly fire I've accidentally hit some buddies on the first difficulty and they didn't seem to take any damage at all, so it could be based on what difficulty you're playing at the time.

On the subject of questions (that I can't find the answer to) does anybody know if dropping into volley fire marks the targets I see for your entire strike team?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hawke posted:

On the subject of questions (that I can't find the answer to) does anybody know if dropping into volley fire marks the targets I see for your entire strike team?

Not by default but there is a talent that does exactly that for people in your coherency.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Re blocking: I haven't properly tested yet but it feels like it works mostly the same way as in previous games:

- Blocking is 360 against normal melee attacks, but:
- Weapons have a stat called "block angle"
- Blocks outside of that angle cost more stamina

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 21, 2022

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

marshmallow creep posted:

I think they may be on to something.

I had this happen, but I was able to get it equipped somehow. I think I had to click it so it was lit up, then back out to the equipment menu, then go back in and it would then be selected and you could equip it? I know I both had this exact same problem, and that through some combination of entering and exiting the equipment list I was able to get it equipped.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That sometimes works for me on the perk/talent screen but I couldn't get that to work for my curios.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have I missed any major effort posts on Darktide tips and strategies? I have a lot of general questions:

What's the best way to deal with a pox hound? Shove? Dodge? Shoot? I've been caught more than once because they went straight past a closer team mate to charge me and I wasn't really planning on having to juke them myself.

Do we have a list of when the head ISN'T a weak point and what, in those circumstances, is?

Do blocks only work on front attacks?

Does dodging have iframes? Does it only apply go melee?

When does the game have Friendly Fire? Does it hit toughness or health?

It saves your place on partial reloads but you can't cancel out of, say, racking the bolt, is that right?

Say I'm stuck behind some low cover with no toughness and las gun enemies are firing at me. How do I best get out of there? Wait for my toughness to recharge from coherency? Take out my own gun and pin them? Relatedly, is there a reliable way to rapidly close the last couple meters on an enemy that's about to shoot me? Do some melee weapons charge forward more in their moveset?

Does anyone have any map specific tips on where and how to perform certain set pieces? How about the one where you raid the train for pick ups you bring to a shipping container?

1) Always assume a hound or mutant are coming for you in particular and be ready to juke. You have to specifically side dodge rather than just stafing, more on this later. If you get got the best solution is to have allies nearby, the further out you are the more it's going to hurt. If an ally is got, biggest priority is knocking it off if possible, kill if it you can but getting your ally back is the most important thing.

2) The only thing that isn't weak to head shots are beasts (shoot the glowy thing on its back) and maulers depending on the weapon (their head is significantly more armored than the rest of them, so like regular las/autogun fire does minimal damage.

3) Blocks work in a 360 degree radius, but iirc it costs more stamina to block from behind you. Shoves only work in frontal arc.

4) Dodging does not have Iframe, however what it does do is disable the enemies ability to track you temporarily. If you go to side dodge and something blocks you from moving (ex: railings, boxes, other enemies) you are still going to get hit. This also applies to ranged fire. Notice how the enemy guns flash before they shoot you? If you side dodge the shots whiff. You can juke snipers this way.

5) Friendly fire only really matters on the highest difficulty, it does negligent damage before then.

6) reloads are done in phases (ex: dropping the mag, loading new, racking bolt) and if you cancel out of the animation it remembers what still needs to be completed. If you drop mag and switch weapons, when you switch back it'll still be dropped.

7) There are a lot of variables to that and a lot of it depends on your class and where your allies are in relation to you. If you are say, a zealot at the front of the pack, you can charge out of cover to get toughness back and either find better cover or move in. If you're a sharpshooter dealing with stragglers in the rear, you can either go to suppressor grenade them and fade closer to your allies, ect ect. There is no perfect solution to this.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 21, 2022

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Jack B Nimble posted:

First raid the train on the left, then the one on the right. Ragers like to hang out in the train cars so watch out. And make sure to bring an Ogryn, they aren't slowed down when carrying the ammo canisters because they're such big strong fellas and everyone's so proud of them, even the Emp-rah :3:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Oof, that doesn't sound good. They really shouldn't be releasing something as vital as crafting after release. It definitely does sound like they are building it as they're flying it.

It feels like they are trying to meet a release date. Wish they would have just delayed by a couple of months, but I suspect they didn't want to release into the holidays or the super packed month that February is lining up to be.

I'm still really enjoying it, but I get the feeling that it's going to be like VT2 at release where they had a huge amount of players who all just dropped off because poo poo was too janky.

They already delayed it before, so by their original timetable the game would be out now. Delaying was clearly the right call but it wasn’t enough of a delay.

Mordja posted:

My hot take is that item power and all that poo poo is AIDS and they should have left it at VT1's coloured rarity+random effect rolls. :colbert:

I remember thinking VT1’s itemization was unfortunate in that higher rarity weapons did more damage, but just having 3 discrete and static damage values per weapon that the game was tuned around ended up being the least bad system out of the three games.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

The mauler's head is a weak point but it has carapace armor so it ends up taking barely any damage unless you're using an armor piercing attack. I think maybe some of the ogryn enemies are similar?

Also according to reddit, some weapons do less damage farther away and some do more the further you are.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/z0t9sz/laser_weapons_do_more_dmg_the_further_you_are/

I wish crafting was in too. As it is, opening boxes is super boring. It's almost always either nothing or ammo, I miss getting cool grenades. Crafting mats would make box hunting more exciting.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
All day yesterday I was like "Okay guys I'm sure the braced autogun is fun in its own way. Until then I enjoy my current autogun and shotgun." Now today I don't want to use anything else.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Give me whatever the 40k equivalent of vermintide’s potions would be to find. Possibly also potions but in like, a grim dark skull with some metal bits sticking out.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
I don't know guys. I'm starting to think that we might not have an update today.

edit: maybe I'm wrong https://steamdb.info/app/1361210/history/

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 21, 2022

Estel
May 4, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Apart from what people have said if you see the poxhound coming for you listen, it has a sound cue when it's about to jump, wait for it then dodge, same with snipers, if you see a white flash dodge.

And about getting pinned by enemy fire it's a problem right now because no one cares about it, same as pingin elites, I would say in 80% of my games I'm the only one pingin elites. Once people start advancing difficulties things will change because if you are pinned by enemy fire if someone doesn't help you then you are probably dead, same as frontliners trying to advance in open areas with laspatrols shooting at them. Suppressive fire is a mechanic in this game and it's there because it will be necessary in higher difficulties.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised to learn that the Ogryn thumper doesn't even stagger pox bursters. That thing sends whole waves of walkers on their rear end and violently throws maulers to the floor, so you can imagine my disappointment hearing the beep and thinking "aha, I'm the answer to this" and seeing the ambulatory pile of grenades body slam us through the shot.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

The mauler's head is a weak point but it has carapace armor so it ends up taking barely any damage unless you're using an armor piercing attack. I think maybe some of the ogryn enemies are similar?

Also according to reddit, some weapons do less damage farther away and some do more the further you are.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/z0t9sz/laser_weapons_do_more_dmg_the_further_you_are/

I noticed this yesterday in the meatgrinder and thought it was just a Vet thing. My 160 power kantrael laser went from 50ish dmg/shot on carapace to +- 65dmg/shot when further out

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I'm going to be That Guy partly defending semi-meaningless bar graphs on weapons.

The actual weapon stat system is pretty complicated, since it involves things like "how many mobs can this damage at once on each of its different attacks" and "how many can it stagger at once on each of its different attacks (and is that different for elites vs mooks)," the damage each individual move does vs unarmoured, armoured, large, elites etc, plus timing info for each swing, its reach, its efficient block angle, how much stamina it has, how much stamina it costs to block, can you dodge further than normal with it, etc. Here are some old datamined tables from VT2:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LGJtOs_ZZag-QGxM6vtjkGsVXuJqXGs0NAuPMIrqrbo/edit#gid=714950244

Making all those transparent is just going to confuse most people and rough bar charts are probably a not-too-bad solution.

There should be a checkbox to show the detailed stats, though, imo.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I too got a braces autogun in my Zealot yesterday and its a blast.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

ever since the beta opened, we can't stop saying "are you up for the Darktide Pod Challenge?" when inviting people to join our game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I prefer the shop rotation to having only just drops after games, but it needs to rotate more often. I actually wouldn't mind if the shop refreshed after every mission.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My big complaint with the weapons stats is that THIS sword has Explosion, Explosion, Spearpoint and THAT sword has Spearpoint, Arrow, Explosion, and now I will make an informed decision about which will beat compliment my play style buy one at random and see if I like it. If it's crap oops, please carry me team.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah I mean they should actually try to explain what their random icons actually mean!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'd like a page that shows what the various cumulative bonuses are for my character.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

My big complaint with the weapons stats is that THIS sword has Explosion, Explosion, Spearpoint and THAT sword has Spearpoint, Arrow, Explosion, and now I will make an informed decision about which will beat compliment my play style buy one at random and see if I like it. If it's crap oops, please carry me team.

I would love for the ability to preview weapons in the meat grinder. Like, let you tag certain weapons out of the stores and have the option to flip to it while in the meat grinder proper, plus the ability to change wrapping while there to do a-b comparisons a lot easier. I would expect that type of thing to be a post-launch addition though.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Those are trying (and for most folks, failing) to tell you what properties the attack has in the light and heavy attack combos of your weapon. As I understand them, the symbols are as follows:

The explosion is generally a vertical, single-target, armor-piercing attack. Most axes are only this type of attack.

The slashing sword is a cleaving horizontal attack, seems to have a balance between crowd control and damage.

The multiple arrows is a predominantly crowd control attack. This one I am the least certain about, but I think the best analogue is to the shield bashes from Vermintides 1 and 2.

The knife is the big bonuses to headshots attack, and maybe also bonus damage for hitting targets in the back.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I looked this up just now:https://gameplay.tips/guides/warhammer-40000-darktide-displayed-attack-icons-guide.html

See! There's one knife icon for "you will butt stroke for a shove" and ANOTHER knife icon for an actual bayonet. And as far as I could tell last night I couldn't mouse over the icons and just read a tool tip. Ugh.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Zephro posted:

I'm going to be That Guy partly defending semi-meaningless bar graphs on weapons.

The problem isn't that they used bar graphs instead on numbers, it's that they're meaningless when comparing different weapons so it confuses a player who doesnt realize they're wrong. The bars only show the variation on stats of that specific weapon type .

A high damage bar on one weapon may often do less damage than a low bar on another. If the bar values all had a relationship between weapons then it would be a great shorthand for "this type is slow firing high damage vs fast and weaker."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Anyone have any thoughts on these Melee weapons?

Shovel
Axe
Catachan Dagger
Catachan Sword

I found the axe was not sweepy enough for big zombie hordes so I went back to the shovel, but then I got a catachan dagger and despite being stabby only it was loving siiiiiiiiiiiiiick at everything. Crowd control, single target, everything. It also has great animations and was really fun to run around with. This went against what I expected honestly. Then I got a blue catachan sword with higher power rating and found it did, generally, less damage than my dagger? Is that correct? It has the auto parry special so I'm gonna keep it to play around with but I was very surprised testing in the meat grinder finding that my little dagger was clearing the zombies way faster and did more damage to individual targets too.

Am I really gonna have to go back to my flippy little knife?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Unless it’s a sniper in a hard to reach area I rarely ping specials because by the time pubbies notice I’ve already juked over and made their insides their outsides. For being short range/melee zealot is real good at tearing apart specials.

Considering rolling a veteran anyway though, in my Ratfite group I was almost always Kruber or Bardin with a long gun on special deleting duty.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Unless it’s a sniper in a hard to reach area I rarely ping specials because by the time pubbies notice I’ve already juked over and made their insides their outsides. For being short range/melee zealot is real good at tearing apart specials.

Considering rolling a veteran anyway though, in my Ratfite group I was almost always Kruber or Bardin with a long gun on special deleting duty.

If you like picking off specials in V2 playing a Vet in this game is like a constant dopamine drip.

I ranked up Vet faster than any other despite it initially being like my least-interested class, I just rolled it because I was tired of pubbies ignoring bombers and flamers until it was too late. But now I cant stop shooting the glowies

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 21, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My beta experience was that the axe does great heavy attack damage on single targets but doesn't control hordes well enough, the sword does great light attacks that control hordes but can't do enough damage to chain axe men, and the shovel is a happy medium and also has a very nice swing rythmn that reminded me of Vermintides hammer.

That's from a difficultly 2 casual though, so grain of salt.

Fishstick posted:

If you like picking off specials in V2 playing a Vet in this game is like a constant dopamine drip.

This is what's going to drive me to play Veteran I think; I cannot STAND seeing a special and having to rely on team mates to kill it. I'm shooting my gun way too often as Zealot because there's a guy! And there! And another over there!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The previously mentioned Atrox (not atax) axe is good at everything though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zephro posted:

The actual weapon stat system is pretty complicated, since it involves things like "how many mobs can this damage at once on each of its different attacks" and "how many can it stagger at once on each of its different attacks (and is that different for elites vs mooks)," the damage each individual move does vs unarmoured, armoured, large, elites etc, plus timing info for each swing, its reach, its efficient block angle, how much stamina it has, how much stamina it costs to block, can you dodge further than normal with it, etc. Here are some old datamined tables from VT2:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LGJtOs_ZZag-QGxM6vtjkGsVXuJqXGs0NAuPMIrqrbo/edit#gid=714950244

Making all those transparent is just going to confuse most people and rough bar charts are probably a not-too-bad solution.

There should be a checkbox to show the detailed stats, though, imo.

The complication in explaining these stats is a self-inflicted problem from when VT2 chose to fix what wasn’t broken and make stagger/cleave calculations completely incomprehensible. In VT1 weapons behaved consistently so if you saw that your weapon staggered 3 standard rats, that is always how many it will stagger and you can internalize your weapon’s behavior and how to play around it without needing to either memorize an insane formula or just pray that it staggers enough of the dudes in front of you to keep you from taking damage. In a game that forces you to make split second decisions with 40 enemies on the screen at once where one slip-up can get you downed, it’s important for these mechanics to be simple and consistent. Fatshark can‘t make some of the bars any more comprehensible at a glance because the mechanics they represent are pointlessly complicated.

Of course, actually explaining what the Ikea instruction icons mean and addressing things like a gun with a lower “ammo” bar having more ammo than a gun with a higher bar would address a lot of it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The previously mentioned Atrox (not atax) axe is good at everything though

That thing was a beast on my zealot until I got a chainsword (and then Eviscerator). Chops heads, sweeps surprisingly well for an axe, super fast. It does it all!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's really amusing when you look elsewhere talking about Darktide, every class things they're nerfed. The Psykers are mad, the Ogryn are mad, the Zealots are mad... the only one I haven't seen too many complaints about is Veteran.

[edit: scratch that, I found people complaining about Veteran]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 21, 2022

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm just about to hit 25 on psyker and I have no complaints after the hotfix.

Also reducing worker threads to 8 seems to be a big improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Update confirmed on discord: