Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

man nurse posted:

Eager to see some reviews for the new Dark Pictures game. Any cropping up yet?

5/10 from IGN, 6/10 from PushSquare are ones I've seen so far. Too bad - seems like it's a cool premise and Jessie Buckley rules, disappointing it might not have turned out great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah I hear that they did the thing that they did with the Quarry where everyone is constantly quipping and making light of things, which on top of mid tier acting kind of drags it down. I'll still play it but I wish they'd get their act together and stop stunt casting.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/TheDarkPictures/status/1593624765117468680?t=jjMh1DE8onGotkQp57V9yA&s=19

:shrug:

IGN Spain liked it!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the stunt casting, the problem is they lost Larry Fessenden the writer who kept trying to make wendigos happen.

Haven't played The Quarry but oooo is the writing some Joss Whedon poo poo. Which is a shame because the encounter with the cop is kind of chilling as anyone who has been pulled over a windy backwoods road in a speed trap can attest to but then immediately it's like smoking hot teenagers henpecking each other.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Lol they're really reaching with these. That's okay, I'll still keep playing this garbage.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

fwiw I’m not far in but I’m digging the new dark pictures game quite a bit

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I loved the ancient alien vampires from House of Ashes even if functionally they weren't that different from the first game's Wendigo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Devil In Me is an interesting story but the animation is junky as gently caress. I don't know what changed but it's a pretty sharp change.

E. Yeah this game could have used another three months in the oven. Or at least a few extra test runs to make notes for when you can't put your lighter away do your hand just clips through everything you walk by.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 19, 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

al-azad posted:

Haven't played The Quarry but oooo is the writing some Joss Whedon poo poo. Which is a shame because the encounter with the cop is kind of chilling as anyone who has been pulled over a windy backwoods road in a speed trap can attest to but then immediately it's like smoking hot teenagers henpecking each other.

I don't know, I really liked The Quarry myself. The dialog didn't feel out of place to me at all?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Quarry has several moments where characters in a life or death situation decide to stop what they’re doing and throw a few zingers back and forth. Ryan and Laura in the cavern under the Hackett House being one of the worst cases of this.

The game was still decent and worth it at $40 or so if you liked Until Dawn. My favorite part was probably the junkyard sequence. That music that plays while they’re trying to shake the werewolf off the car is very fun.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So the new dark pictures has some interesting ideas and tries to implement more gameplay elements into the framework of their games but I feel it doesn’t really capitalize on it much. I’m also finding the story to be pretty whatever so far, but it’s a solid enough murder mansion ride. I got a few characters killed despite my best efforts.

I feel like it’s missing a good hook. I’m near the end and the story hasn’t really taken any interesting turns. Then again maybe that’s a good thing considering the first two game’s “twists”.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah I'm a firm believer in sometimes things don't need a twist.

I will also readily admit that I'm one of the people the Dark Pictures games are made for. I like turning my brain off and enjoying an interactive trope filled horror movie waaay more than I probably should

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

We're just having trouble getting past the bugs. Like, we keep seeing little things and it's "oh, is that supposed to b- oh wait, no, it's just someone T-posing"

Like, there's one part where they're in the house and someone drops their chapstick under the bed. It shows the chapstick rolling over, and there's actually two identical chapsticks! Is this a sign that someone was here before and history is repeating itself? Then we realize that no, it's literally the same chapstick, just one is floating in midair and halfway clipping through the wall because they hosed up and put both a static and animated model for it in. It's perplexing. And this is on console too.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I haven’t noticed any egregious bugs or animation myself, playing on PS5.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

man nurse posted:

I haven’t noticed any egregious bugs or animation myself, playing on PS5.

Maybe my PS5 copy is just ourageously hosed but it seems to be an issue with at least some copies from what I've read online.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah the PS5 versions of Medan and Little Hope definitely had some issues that they didn’t on PS4, so anything’s possible. Mine is a digital copy, though I can’t imagine that’d be a factor.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Playing Man of Medan for the 1st time (I know the ending) about halfway thru I'd guess and they really nailed the set up. Shame how it ends but drat, exploring the ship really has a nice sense of dread, I love it

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Playing RE1Remake for the "first" time (played it on release for like 10 mins but got too scared and sold it). After initially disliking it I'm starting to like it more and more. My big annoyances with it currently is the doors taking forever to load and the very small inventory space. Having to run back and forth to a lock box is annoying and why is there no lockbox on the second floor!

I somehow managed to make this Richard guy die I guess because I didn't rush and go to the medical room. Rip.

Like RE2R I have to use a guide to figure out wtf this game wants for its puzzles and items which compares to RE2R this game has way more annoying and obscure solutions like the dog whistle or the lure butterfly puzzle.

Going to try to soldier on and beat it but I think my favorite parts of RE are the action bits, which probably explains why I enjoy but don't love this and RE2R but really enjoyed RE5 and 8

Will probably either beat RE3R next or try Revelations. Is there any worth of playing the original versions of RE 2 and 3?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RE1 remake is great, but definitely rough/cryptic by modern standards. It would be nice if the game came with a spoiler-free FAQ or something. For example, it’s most likely players will pick Chris for their first run, but it’s probably better to pick Jill because she has more inventory space. On your subsequent playthroughs, you know where items are used, so you can avoid wasting slots on items you won’t need.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Every puzzle in RE1 is "find a shape to put into the corresponding hole". Examining the hole will usually explicitly tell you what crest or key or mask you need to work it. You don't need a walkthrough to tell you to put the arrow head into the arrow head shaped hole in the door because the game tells you to do that.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Crowetron posted:

Every puzzle in RE1 is "find a shape to put into the corresponding hole". Examining the hole will usually explicitly tell you what crest or key or mask you need to work it. You don't need a walkthrough to tell you to put the arrow head into the arrow head shaped hole in the door because the game tells you to do that.

what about the puzzle to mix the chemicals to destroy the tentacle monster?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CuddleCryptid posted:

Devil In Me is an interesting story but the animation is junky as gently caress. I don't know what changed but it's a pretty sharp change.

E. Yeah this game could have used another three months in the oven. Or at least a few extra test runs to make notes for when you can't put your lighter away do your hand just clips through everything you walk by.

Yeah I'm really, really disappointed and I returned it.

House of Ashes was SO good! And it had none of the problems that I've already seen in the tutorial scenario and a little after that. Totally missing animations, freezing and juddering frames, mismatched audio to video, constant clipping, and more. It sucks because I was into the story as it began but I'm not playing poo poo like this it totally ruins any immersion I can muster.

I don't remember any of this stuff from House of Ashes, maybe it didn't perform amazingly for what it was but it was totally fine and a good game besides.

Let's hope they can fix it, maybe I'll buy it again if they do.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Nyaawn posted:

what about the puzzle to mix the chemicals to destroy the tentacle monster?

The one with step-by-step instructions in a file in the same room and also printed on the wall?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

I don’t really agree, but I don’t have many specific examples. It definitely took me some trying before I was able to build momentum in RE1HD, and coming to RE2 original now, it’s a little annoying to have to remember where everything is myself, compared to the remake telling me the names of the rooms on the map and whether or not there is still stuff to do in them.

Just knowing a bit about how to manage items to avoid tedious trips to the item box will help you have a good experience in RE1HD. IIRC, it takes a little while before you can even access an item box, so if you go picking up a bunch of useless stuff it can inconvenience you.

My intuition at first was always to grab things as soon as I saw them, and keep holding on to them because I’m probably about to use them, and I had to unlearn that to make the game less tedious. You will want to grab key items when you either know what they’re for or you know you can drop them off in the item box, and probably don’t bother grabbing extra herbs and stuff if your health is FINE because you’re bound to come back through and have more chances to grab them later.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I think you're 100% right because once I started playing like that the game got better.

I disagree about the puzzles being obvious though. Some are but I meant more along the lines of needing item x to open door y to get item A to open door S in door Y but surprise door y is now closed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

There's an update for Devil In Me for ps5 that's apparently just downloading the whole game again so hopefully that fixes the issues.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I finished it. most of my crew got killed. I feel like it just didn’t have much going on in the grand scheme, like there was no real big mystery to unravel, the clues you can find were mostly just flavor if anything. I expected more of a culmination of the group figuring things out and trying to find a way to beat the killer at his own game. Instead it was just kinda like, run and hide from the scary murder man until credits roll.

I dunno. Mixed feelings. Like yeah it’s nice that the story didn’t seem to have a big twist that made it stupid, but I feel like House of Ashes managed one without it being lame.

I guess your enjoyment of it will depend squarely on how much you want a straightforward slasher horror story. It was alright.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I hear the new one sets up this cool murder house then doesn't use it much?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hey, to anyone who was having issues immediately after the game came out

https://twitter.com/TheDarkPictures/status/1594640740356964354?t=OUVuHhbkyJtF_kXP7uz8wQ&s=19

It's all patched up now. Patience works out!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That really explains a lot.

I'm revisiting resident evil 2 (remake) and trying to get all the trophies. This game holds up so well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ineffiable posted:

That really explains a lot.

I'm revisiting resident evil 2 (remake) and trying to get all the trophies. This game holds up so well.

I rarely go after Platinum trophies but decided to with RE2. Hunk's theme haunts my dreams nightly

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RE2 remake, outside of the boss fights, is really great, and the worst thing the bosses are guilty of is being nothing but running away from a guy while taking potshots.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Medullah posted:

I rarely go after Platinum trophies but decided to with RE2. Hunk's theme haunts my dreams nightly

Seriously 4th survivor is really difficult. You need a plan for every room. And you can run past a surprisingly amount of zombies.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

Seriously 4th survivor is really difficult. You need a plan for every room. And you can run past a surprisingly amount of zombies.

That's where I learned the art of "shoot them in the head to stun them, then run around them"

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
As someone whose last owned console was an NES, I missed out on heaps of good games. But emulation is super easy now! After playing Silent Hill 2 and 3 for the first time recently, I've been on a kick of older horror/survival horror and was looking for games to add to my list of stuff (via emulator) to play. So far I have:

Silent Hill 4, Origins, Shattered Memories
Fatal Frame 1-3
Code Veronica X
Haunting Ground
Siren
Rule of Rose

Any other recommendations for horror/survival horror PS2 and before?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

While I like rule of rose's story and themes a lot, I wouldn't recommend playing it. The gameplay is miserable

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the Suffering quite a bit from that era. Dunno how it'd feel these days.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

UltraShame posted:

As someone whose last owned console was an NES, I missed out on heaps of good games. But emulation is super easy now! After playing Silent Hill 2 and 3 for the first time recently, I've been on a kick of older horror/survival horror and was looking for games to add to my list of stuff (via emulator) to play. So far I have:

Silent Hill 4, Origins, Shattered Memories
Fatal Frame 1-3
Code Veronica X
Haunting Ground
Siren
Rule of Rose

Any other recommendations for horror/survival horror PS2 and before?

Eternal Darkness on GameCube is a good one. A little more action than typical survival horror but it’s a delightful lovecraftian romp.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
^^^^

Thanks!

Nyaawn posted:

While I like rule of rose's story and themes a lot, I wouldn't recommend playing it. The gameplay is miserable

I'm willing to give it a shot. If it doesn't grab me, there are literally infinite other games to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

man nurse posted:

Eternal Darkness on GameCube is a good one. A little more action than typical survival horror but it’s a delightful lovecraftian romp.

That one came to mind as something interesting to see a perspective on, coming into it fresh now. Does it have particular emulation issues? That popped into my head for some reason, but I could easily be conflating it with some other game from that era.