Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Maybe a robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
it’s probably just a stencil or precut mask

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

A bunch of reservists being issued busted, non-functional gear they're not trained on, no ammo, and no active soldiers to lead them plus defense planning that just sticks them about to get run over isn't going to delay anything. They'll get squished the way the Iraqi army did during Desert Storm; living target practice for the Chinese troops while they're waiting on the defeat of the real enemy (amphibious logistics).

e: which is to say I doubt these guys are even going to show up in the event of a real invasion, both because mustering them in time is probably going to be impossible assuming preparatory missile strikes on communication infrastructure, and also because "please go lay down in front of the tanks in the hopes that your viscera causes them to throw a track and delays the advance for a hot second" is not like, super motivating.

Speaking of useless wastes of life in the potential outbreak of World War 3 I'm still amazed that Western Occupation forces of West Berlin were literally told hey you're cut off and gonna die, give the Commies a bloody nose. Good luck

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Speaking of useless wastes of life in the potential outbreak of World War 3 I'm still amazed that Western Occupation forces of West Berlin were literally told hey you're cut off and gonna die, give the Commies a bloody nose. Good luck

Well, what else were they supposed to do?

If Berlin wasn’t garrisoned the Soviets could just waltz in during a diplomatic crisis. Because of where Berlin was, there couldn’t be any sizeable force there. They had to go on a special controlled access highway,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1xvtLV8Xw

So, the Berlin Brigade had to be just big enough to be too much of a hassle to tussle with in anything short of war. The same idea as the garrison in Hong Kong.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B10b2oQKF24

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"what i think britain will leave behind is a sense of fair play, i think it will leave behind a sense of justice"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/louischeung_hk/status/1593460556274749440

vertical launch missiles for land vehicles are closer than i thought huh

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/louischeung_hk/status/1593460556274749440

vertical launch missiles for land vehicles are closer than i thought huh

Catch up https://youtu.be/En7WnQ0s26E?t=84

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s probably just a stencil or precut mask

Sure, in the degenerate west.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

If Berlin wasn’t garrisoned the Soviets could just waltz in during a diplomatic crisis. Because of where Berlin was, there couldn’t be any sizeable force there. They had to go on a special controlled access highway,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1xvtLV8Xw

So, the Berlin Brigade had to be just big enough to be too much of a hassle to tussle with in anything short of war. The same idea as the garrison in Hong Kong.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B10b2oQKF24

I don't know, surrending instead of dying for literally nothing sounds like a better move to me

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

I don't know, surrending instead of dying for literally nothing sounds like a better move to me

That’s why you weren’t in the BAOR. :britain:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7ojDokkvw

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s why you weren’t in the BAOR. :britain:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7ojDokkvw

Thank god

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

What's the problem if the Soviets waltz in? Berlin is far into East German territory and isn't the administrative centre of West Germany in any way. Why is it so important to try holding on to it?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AgentF posted:

What's the problem if the Soviets waltz in? Berlin is far into East German territory and isn't the administrative centre of West Germany in any way. Why is it so important to try holding on to it?

It's worth like 5 VP and Bonn is only worth 3 VP.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Prussia had all the best Nazis.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AgentF posted:

when I was a kid I assumed the east/west German border was exactly at Berlin and the Berlin wall stretched across the entire country. it was only later that I found out the situation was much dumber than that

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

when I was a kid I assumed the east/west German border was exactly at Berlin and the Berlin wall stretched across the entire country. it was only later that I found out the situation was much dumber than that

Don't be silly. Every kid knows all national borders are marked by giant dotted lines painted in bright colors that don't fade in the rain.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

KomradeX posted:

Cold War doctrine was cold as gently caress yeah. RAF V-Bomber pilots didn't plan for anything concrete beyond taking off and hitting their targets, because the operational assumption was by the time they'd achieved that, the airfield they took off from wouldn't exist any more, and they were basically on their own to then find a place to touch down and survive

Cookie Cutter has issued a correction as of 12:58 on Nov 21, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

Recently held AK 101 in my hands, read what people write about AK 12. And I thought - AK-74 is a worse AK 47, and all subsequent AKs, in attempts to make them better, only made them more complicated, that is, even more bad. In this age, the role of small arms is decreasing, and maybe it would be better not to "improve" a proven mechanism excessively?
(from t.me/donrf22/9605, via tgsa)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cookie Cutter posted:

Cold War doctrine was cold as gently caress yeah. RAF V-Bomber pilots didn't plan for anything concrete beyond taking off and hitting their targets, because the operational assumption was by the time they'd achieved that, the airfield they took off from wouldn't exist any more, and they were basically on their own to then find a place to touch down and survive

The French Mirage IV bombers weren’t even given enough fuel for a return trip. It was considered a waste of space and weight.

The AK-74M is good from everything I read and 5.45 is outstanding, but I agree that the 100 series AKs seem like weapons in search of a purpose.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The AK-74 is the best AR bar none in Modern Warfare 2 right now

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Ehhh I don’t think keeping wooden furniture, a battle rifle round, and awkward mounts would have been the right call. I would say the changes to the AK platform have been very incremental but still necessary to keep it modern. I think the AK 12 makes sense even if isn’t a revolutionary rifle, I guess the big issue isn’t that it’s hand guard isn’t stable enough for a sight but there are other AK variants to fit that niche.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The French Mirage IV bombers weren’t even given enough fuel for a return trip. It was considered a waste of space and weight.

so what reason does the pilot have to actually do the mission instead of fly the bomber to safety

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rutibex posted:

so what reason does the pilot have to actually do the mission instead of fly the bomber to safety

I suppose the argument would be that in a nuclear war there’s no such thing as safety so they might as well avenge France.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

the primary role of most national governments for most of history was convincing people to die for them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

atelier morgan posted:

the primary role of most national governments for most of history was convincing people to die for them

Neoliberalism cut the legs out from under that too.

It’s kind of hilarious how much damage it’s done.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AK-97 in 5mm is good enough to get you as far as San Francisco, where you can obtain an HK G-11c in 4.7mm and wreck face

just watch out for those Enclave patrols on the way

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Neoliberalism cut the legs out from under that too.

It’s kind of hilarious how much damage it’s done.

yeah, lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
San Francisco is rubbish. steal the bozar from the gun store guard in NCR and go straight to navarro

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

AK-97 in 5mm is good enough to get you as far as San Francisco, where you can obtain an HK G-11c in 4.7mm and wreck face

just watch out for those Enclave patrols on the way

I think I just used the .223 pistol the entire time.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

super sledge or gtfo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Proust Malone posted:

super sledge or gtfo

:hmmyes:

The .223 pistol is a good alternative if you want to pretend you're a blade runner though. Strictly inferior to the mighty hammer of course.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Proust Malone posted:

super sledge or gtfo

:wrong: the super sledge would knock dudes a bunch of hexes away with a single hit without killing them and you'd have to run after them, a power fist did a bit less damage but you could punch people in the dick all day and they'd stay in the same spot

I did runs with both and the super sledge run was painfully slow because of that

my favorite build was with the feat that made it cost one less AP to shoot but you couldn't choose the target on the body, get AGI 10 and the feats that give 2 bonus AP for 12 total AP and then the cheap reload feat (it was either 0AP reloads or getting into your inventory for 0 AP and reloading that way, I can't remember)

each round you could fire a bozar or minigun twice and reload it

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 09:41 on Nov 22, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cooperlund/status/1594802665896157197

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1594806343390601240

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I think the mistake was not arming the F150 at the factory with a choice of armaments at purchasers discretion. Ideally from a catalogue.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You folks thinking I'm joking about arming the F150 watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lDlDLvC4TU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I think the mistake was not arming the F150 at the factory with a choice of armaments at purchasers discretion. Ideally from a catalogue.

Tango & Cash firmly established that a Suburban with aerodynamic armor plating and a side-mounted minigun is the superior assault vehicle

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

DancingShade posted:

you just have to make sure you’re selecting the extended cab. crew cab doesn’t leave enough room

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

:wrong: the super sledge would knock dudes a bunch of hexes away with a single hit without killing them and you'd have to run after them, a power fist did a bit less damage but you could punch people in the dick all day and they'd stay in the same spot

I did runs with both and the super sledge run was painfully slow because of that

That's why you get the perk that lets you move a few hexes for free. But yeah I can see how the extra clicking and animations would make it annoying.

Filthy Hans posted:

my favorite build was with the feat that made it cost one less AP to shoot but you couldn't choose the target on the body, get AGI 10 and the feats that give 2 bonus AP for 12 total AP and then the cheap reload feat (it was either 0AP reloads or getting into your inventory for 0 AP and reloading that way, I can't remember)

Yeah, that's when you combo it with sniper or whatever that gives you crits for free without aiming.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

A 1942 Lincoln Continental is 5.54m long and 1.976 m wide. Only 1.6m tall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GoodVibePolitik/status/1595469138490802178?t=372XoSsAyJsPIkIHtvN-SA&s=19