Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Hemish posted:

I dropped a Karve yesterday and sailed a few minutes to reach 2 copper nodes close to the shore. I logged off for the night as mining it will be in my next session but before leaving I wanted to make some kind of dock.... How do you even build in the water? I could somewhat snap poles to the underside of the planks but when the pole is not long enough, I couldn't snap a second one to reach the floor and be a support. I spent 10 minutes not managing anything.

I was hoping to have a place to park my boat farther from the shore as monsters just go ape poo poo and keep destroying it... I think I had this issue 2 years ago. Monsters just destroying the boat all the time and it was a pain mining and hoping to get the boat filled for a return trip.

Oh wow it's nothing. Just an ad to an upcoming trailer. Remember the days where the trailers didn't need PR prior to release it and they were the PR itself for an upcoming game?

I can't help you with the dock construction issue any better than the other folks here, but I can offer this tidbit - boats only need a workbench to build and you get all your materials back when it's destroyed unless the nails sink. Solution - find somewhere with not too steep shoreline and loving ram your boat way up the beach. If you like, you can build a workbench and chest (wrap em in a small stakewall too, heck, and make a covered fire to get rested easily even in rain and freak out greydwarves) and then use your axe to, ahem, dismantle the boat and stick the mats, nails and all, in your chest. But even just leaving the boat beached at the waterline will do it if it's not too steep. If something actually destroys the boat, your nails will sit on the beach.

In other news, I'm very excited for mistlands! The slow schedule has not been my favorite thing, but it's not really detracting from my excitement re the next big content drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Remember, trolls are not only great lumberjacks but also great miners when it comes to copper.

As for building underwater, you'd probably want a mod to help with that too because it's frustrating without a mod for it.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 18, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Remember, trolls are not only great lumberjacks but also great miners when it comes to copper.

Indeed they are! They smash that poo poo up so quick; it is such a good time saver if one is near by.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The jagged surfaces from troll mining mean either the troll or myself always get stuck on something. If I get stuck, the troll kills me. If the troll gets stuck I get closer to help the troll move, then he kills me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But I'm also playing this on my steam deck and am not going to gently caress around with mods, so :shrug:

In that case what I recommend is using a hoe to raise an earthen pier into the water. It won't look as nice, but especially while copper mining you'll have no shortage of stone to do it with.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I love carving out the ground around & under ore veins, breaking a single piece and having the entire thing blow up.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
There used to be something you could do with silver where you broke the top couple points and the whole thing would explode and pop up above ground. Does that still work?

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

I love carving out the ground around & under ore veins, breaking a single piece and having the entire thing blow up.

I've never been able to get this to work with ore veins. There's always some tiny connection remaining despite being visually broken.

Spires in the plains though, I'll break those just for fun sometimes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Electric_Mud posted:

There used to be something you could do with silver where you broke the top couple points and the whole thing would explode and pop up above ground. Does that still work?

Nope, they patched that out a while ago.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nope, they patched that out a while ago.

Booo

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Silver no longer floats in the air screaming 'too hard' at you when you disconnect it from the ground, which is sad.

It doesn't explode spontaneously either, you have to break a chunk and the rest goes, but it's again by far the most efficient way to mine it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i also think the ore should come in long snaking veins rather than boulders

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I broke my no mods rule. I couldn't handle planting carrots anymore. I installed CropUtil ( https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/NoPetRides/CropUtils/) to plant a bunch of them quickly.

I spent some time mining copper and tin to upgrade some of my bronze equipment and I'm now ready to go to the Swamp. I found another landmass close to my starting island and built a shelter in a nearby Meadows with a portal. I'll probably venture there this afternoon. I forgot about the better foods, for some reason I thought they came after Swamp but no I just had to build my first cooking pot.

The foods changed and it seems like a lot of work. What foods do you guys suggest to roll on Swamp for the first time? Carrot Soup doesn't seem as good as when I first played since they need normal mushrooms. Getting those red mushrooms suck rear end and they're pretty rare. I was thinking Deer Stew, Minced Meat Sauce and Carrot Soup but I feel like I need to subsititute the Carrot Soup to get something easier to make. Maybe just eat a normal yellow mushroom which can only be used in meads?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope one day they will figure out how to add different elevations of water on the map and with that mountain lakes and waterfalls.

Hemish posted:

I broke my no mods rule. I couldn't handle planting carrots anymore. I installed CropUtil ( https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/NoPetRides/CropUtils/) to plant a bunch of them quickly.

There is no shame in removing timewaste, take back those 30 minutes you'd spend planting carrots.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hemish posted:

I spent some time mining copper and tin to upgrade some of my bronze equipment and I'm now ready to go to the Swamp. I found another landmass close to my starting island and built a shelter in a nearby Meadows with a portal. I'll probably venture there this afternoon. I forgot about the better foods, for some reason I thought they came after Swamp but no I just had to build my first cooking pot.

The foods changed and it seems like a lot of work. What foods do you guys suggest to roll on Swamp for the first time? Carrot Soup doesn't seem as good as when I first played since they need normal mushrooms. Getting those red mushrooms suck rear end and they're pretty rare. I was thinking Deer Stew, Minced Meat Sauce and Carrot Soup but I feel like I need to subsititute the Carrot Soup to get something easier to make. Maybe just eat a normal yellow mushroom which can only be used in meads?

Those red mushrooms are actually everywhere, you just can’t see them through the grass. If you temporarily turn it off the run around the grasslands, you’ll find tons!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Hemish posted:

First time into the Swamp I think I typically just eat cooked deer/boar meat and either a yellow mushroom or queen's jam depending on what I have on hand. You will very quickly be able to start cooking sausages once you get in a bit which helps a lot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hemish posted:

litany of gulps posted:

Those red mushrooms are actually everywhere, you just can’t see them through the grass. If you temporarily turn it off the run around the grasslands, you’ll find tons!

And if you don’t mind a cluttered map red mushrooms (and raspberries, and blueberries, and thistles, etc) grow back in the same place you found them. Mark the spot and go back after whatever the reset timer is and you’ll find them again.

If you have a stock of raspberries and blueberries you can make queens jam with a cauldron.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Trip report :

- Removing the vegetation really help with red mushrooms
- I always run out of stamina in the swamp
- gently caress Abominations hanging out every 5 steps in the Swamp. Spent 15 minutes killing my first one but then I'm trying to avoid the countless others. I barely started exploring the swamp I found (2 crypts in eyesight of each other) and they're everywhere I turn.
- Also gently caress 2 stars draught archers

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah the Abom spawn rate could really stand to go down a bit. They’re cool and scary and impressive but not when there’s one every ten feet.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

New hires will not be "splitting the money" they will be hired on for salaries. The money has already been had and the 2 or 3 new people won't be getting a cut.

They made over a hundred million dollars and their entire response has been to expand the team by a couple people. Yes they are "developing" the game but we won't see any major content for a long time, long after the vast majority of players have moved on.

lol

Over a year later and virtually no new content

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I played like 50 hours back at launch and didn't get past Swamp. I played a bit last winter and didn't get really far as my friend never played again after the first initial session so I was farming and gathering trying not to advance stuff so when he never played again, I lost interest quickly.

I just restarted last week and I must have 20 hours again at least and I'm back in the early Swamp.

So I think after Mistlands, there will be enough content for 23$Cnd and I would really like more QoL improvements and maybe a better version of the terrain generators to have real rivers that could be navigated to travel on bigger landmass than currently. Also other water that the ocean level like mentioned earlier in the thread. Waterfalls and sources of water going down an incline and rocks would be amazing. Then just call it version 1.0 so people will stop complaining (some arguments are valid, this IS an Early Access game. It comes with the expectations of bigger patches at a more rapid pace). Anything else would be just gravy or just sell it as DLC.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
After mistlands there is still the entire north and south pole that is entirely devoid of life, with the south pole at least having a good source of surtr cores.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just defeated Bonemass in a party of 4, two of whom were already experienced. I know stuff like that scales, but jfc how does anyone beat something like that on their own?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Depending on the quality of your internet connection we found that fewer people is often easier. Both because the game would lag itself to death with 8 people fighting a boss, and it'd have 8 times as much health or whatever, so if you brought the less skilled players along it made your life vastly harder.

In your specific case though it's not too bad: level a section of ground, pop some mead for poison immunity, get good at parrying, and then wail on him with an iron mace. And bring armor if you want but I did it in troll hide last time

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

how does anyone beat something like that on their own?

1. Pop a poison resist mead and eat your best foods
2. Start walloping him with a mace
3. Back up to regain stamina, heal as needed
4. Kill any adds
5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 until you win

It really is that simple.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Or ascend above any feelings of shame about cheesing bosses. I built a little air platform and just shot his rear end up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I maintain that's way less fun than just fighting him tho. Unlike the way we cheesed it the first time by harpooning him and dragging his rear end out of the swamp

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I maintain that's way less fun than just fighting him tho. Unlike the way we cheesed it the first time by harpooning him and dragging his rear end out of the swamp
Way less fun and way more work, imo. Get an iron mace and go hit the blob in the face.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Ravenfood posted:

Way less fun and way more work, imo. Get an iron mace and go hit the blob in the face.

Yeah pretty much the entirety of the challenge in fighting bonemass is understanding how to prepare. I was scared of him for a while and waited until I had fully upgraded iron everything and then rolled right over him.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I primarily use a bow to kill stuff. I still killed Bonemass with melee. His hits are easy to dodge and the poison resist potion trivializes the dot, so it's fairly idiot proof. I don't have anything against cheesing him on a philosophical level, I just didn't want to spend that long in a single encounter if I could avoid it

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grand Fromage posted:

Or ascend above any feelings of shame about cheesing bosses. I built a little air platform and just shot his rear end up.

Considering that bonemass has pierce resist, that must have been incredibly painful.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In games where you can build anywhere, cheesing stuff is not cheating, it's an expression of your creativity.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Cheesing bonemass really is a lot more work than just beating him as designed

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Overall, I think I hate the swamps.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

In games where you can build anywhere, cheesing stuff is not cheating, it's an expression of your creativity.

Not sure how a simple tree fort and grinding a fuckton of arrows is creative, just tedious.

And then people complain that he is a hard and/or boring fight.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol

Over a year later and virtually no new content

Yeah, it's pretty crazy if you think about it. It's almost as if the devs want to make really, really sure that the overwhelming majority of their player base has lost interest and moved on to other games before they release new content. It's bewildering, frankly. It's almost as if they haven't heard the phrase "strike while the iron is hot."

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
There's a lot of different ways to fight him, and i think what people are saying is that you can make it boring if you want to do the arrows method, but he's made to be fought with blunt weapons and face to face.

I fought him solo for the first time last night, died once (thought the root armor would be enough poison protection it wasn't), using iron mace, banded shield, etc. Did give myself a little fighting room using the hoe since his shrine was in a particularly wet area of the swamps. Gotta use block and dodge, but completely do able.

This game is one of the greats, i keep coming back to it trying to chase the dragon, but it's killing me that I'll probably have to wait years for the finished product. Not sure I'll still care once it's done, despite previously defending their slow releases.

Trying to pace myself.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I misread the tweet saying that mistlands video would be released and thought they were releasing the actual content.

:smith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Eifert Posting posted:

I misread the tweet saying that mistlands video would be released and thought they were releasing the actual content.

:smith:

Thought I'd accidentally clicked the Star Citizen thread for a second there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Re red mushrooms: you can also use the hoe to remove the grass texture to make them easier to spor in the future