Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tenasscity posted:

I fired this email back, and CCed everyone in the dept that I spoke to. So they all know why they are still stuck with heavy workloads.

"Thank you for your time. I'm sorry things didn't work out. Being presented with a different job than was advertised was a red flag, and not having a job offer in writing is doubly so. I'm sorry that the higher-ups don't seem to understand the urgency in which your department needs staff to handle the higher workload that (business name)'s recent acquisitions require. From my conversations with members of the support team, everyone seems to have a full plate and desperately needed more staff to handle the workload. I would have enjoyed working for the company but I would not be comfortable putting my faith in a company that would not put their faith in me. A trial period would be understandable in some cases and excused if I had the arrangement in writing. However, a lack of desire to make things binding would set me up for disappointment or possibly being taken advantage of. This would not foster a good and professional working relationship and would look poorly on my career history. I can only hope that in the future that upper management will give your department the proper funding and staffing allowance it needs to meet its support goals. "

In the future don't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah instead you should tell them to shove their bait-and-switch up their rear end

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don't actually do that, it's not the frontline people you're talking to's fault. The optimal thing to say is "please inform your superiors on my behalf that they should shove their bait-and-switch up their rear end. Thank you for your kind consideration, and I hope you can find a better job at a better company in the near future."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The correct response is:

quote:

Thank you for your time and consideration. Unfortunately, since your leadership team is unwilling to meet my requirements for the position I am withdrawing my candidacy for the role. I wish you success in your search.

nobody cares what some random rear end candidate's opinion is. either the people already know what you're telling them, or they don't give a gently caress.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Fair points all, thanks for the feedback friends.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Also, I am not sure even if they did put it in writing if it would be a great idea. There are situations where "We want to put you in X role for Y time" is appropriate but not if they are advertising for a different job entirely. Even if it was in writing I'd probably still urge you to keep looking. There's a lot of red flags here and unless your current situation was completely untenable I am reasonably sure you'll find a better situation somewhere else.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Tenasscity posted:

After 2 months of applying for jobs I found one that seemed like it was going to go through. But then the other shoe dropped.

They weren't going to give me the position offered, despite being qualified for it. Instead, they were going to put me at the helpdesk level for 90 days, then promise to promote me to the promised job title. A job that was going to be taking a lot of incoming calls with metric tracking instead of being a Sr. support tech.

They offered me the bottom of what my range was, with the promise to promote me to the position and a higher wage after that 90 days.

You know what? Fine, but I want that in writing. The expectations, the 90 days, and the wages at both positions.

After that I was ghosted for a week. Then the reply came.

"After talking with the CIO, HR, and assistant to the CIO we are unable to put in writing that in 90 days we would promote you to Senior Help Desk Technician. I worked tireless to try and have that language added but it was denied."

Seems like a huge red flag, despite needing this job. Tell me I'm right to walk away please.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

It’d also be a great idea to put a review on glassdoor to warn others for bait and switches.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Tenasscity posted:

helpdesk level for 90 days

A lot of things can happen in a job search, and sometimes companies change their mind about the level or the compensation or whatever and its worth sticking around to see if it can still work. BUT if a company surprises you with anything related to helpdesk or sales, you are literally being conned. Nobody applies to helpdesk or (low end) sales jobs because they're poo poo jobs, and the companies trying to hire for them know this so they'll lie and lie and lie to get you locked into a miserable job "just for a bit when you start" and of course you'll never get out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Corla Plankun posted:

A lot of things can happen in a job search, and sometimes companies change their mind about the level or the compensation or whatever and its worth sticking around to see if it can still work. BUT if a company surprises you with anything related to helpdesk or sales, you are literally being conned. Nobody applies to helpdesk or (low end) sales jobs because they're poo poo jobs, and the companies trying to hire for them know this so they'll lie and lie and lie to get you locked into a miserable job "just for a bit when you start" and of course you'll never get out.
The other common form of this (again, often seen on helpdesk/sales) is "contract to hire" jobs, which never quite seem to get around to the "...to hire" part of the arrangement.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

leper khan posted:

Yeah, just try to get an extra 10%. Don't defend it or provide reasoning, just "this feels like a good opportunity, can you work with $x?" Where x is whatever they said + 10%, rounded off so you don't look like a robot
I asked for a simple $1 increase, figuring they couldn't say no to that, and I got it. I probably could have pushed for more, but I was really excited for the position and didn't want to push my luck. Fortunately this company really seems interested in taking care of their employees, and their offer was more than competitive as-is.

Dango Bango posted:

Are you going to get pulled in to CAT events (wildfires, EQ, etc.)? Do you get any kind of extra hazard pay if so?

Work/life balance would be the biggest sticking point for me (outside of pay) for an adjuster role.
I won't be going into any active disasters, but I do need to worry about some of our loss sites being affected by asbestos, mold, etc.

Work/life balance will be the toughest part. I think I can handle it, but it's definitely something I'll have to adapt to. Fortunately they offer 3 weeks PTO per year, and they seem very willing to be accommodating in lots of ways to make things easier and more tolerable for all their field staff. I've asked in the BFC Business Travel thread for some advice on living out of a hotel, and I'll have to buy a nice laptop and such to keep me entertained while away from home.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The correct response is:

nobody cares what some random rear end candidate's opinion is. either the people already know what you're telling them, or they don't give a gently caress.

Strong agree on all points

Although good on OP for telling them to go gently caress themselves in no uncertain terms

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

The other common form of this (again, often seen on helpdesk/sales) is "contract to hire" jobs, which never quite seem to get around to the "...to hire" part of the arrangement.

Only take a contract position if you’re cool with the terms and comp of the contract position itself.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

literally this big posted:

I won't be going into any active disasters, but I do need to worry about some of our loss sites being affected by asbestos, mold, etc.

Sorry, I probably confused things with referring to it as hazard pay rather than overtime. What I meant was CAT response teams are usually on-site for weeks at a time responding to everyone's claims.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

I asked for a simple $1 increase, figuring they couldn't say no to that, and I got it.

I had forgotten this was originally about an hourly rate and thought you were putting the pressure on them by being like "$60,000 is a little low for me, but I'll sign right now for $60,001."

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fortunately they offer 3 weeks PTO per year, and they seem very willing to be accommodating in lots of ways to make things easier and more tolerable for all their field staff.
This is not a lot of PTO, at all. I get double that after being with my company 4 years, after starting at 4 weeks. I guess I landed at a good company and "good PTO" can vary by industry, but I wanted to say something about it because dont sell yourself short. You work to facilitate living your life, not the other way around, and you deserve more PTO.

m0therfux0r posted:

I had forgotten this was originally about an hourly rate and thought you were putting the pressure on them by being like "$60,000 is a little low for me, but I'll sign right now for $60,001."
:same:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is not a lot of PTO, at all.

3 weeks is pretty reasonable for the US

It's not France, but getting "only" 3 weeks is not something I'd turn down a job for

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starting new employees at 3 weeks is high end for an hourly-wage level job in the US

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh wow I thought we were talking salary

Yeah that's fantastic for anywhere outside of healthcare

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hadlock posted:

3 weeks is pretty reasonable for the US

It's not France, but getting "only" 3 weeks is not something I'd turn down a job for
Thats fair. I'm in the US so I'm guessing I'm just pampered by being at a good company for a long time.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
My memory is especially bad lately, but I don’t recall it being asked: is part of the game to make the other side name a number first, or just let it ride until it comes up?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

My memory is especially bad lately, but I don’t recall it being asked: is part of the game to make the other side name a number first, or just let it ride until it comes up?

Yes let them say a number first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And typically the longer you let it ride the more advantageous it is for you. They are spending more time/money interviewing than you are being interviewed. Let them sink more cost. This can backfire if you and them are wildly apart on expectations, but hopefully that should be rare.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lockback posted:

And typically the longer you let it ride the more advantageous it is for you. They are spending more time/money interviewing than you are being interviewed. Let them sink more cost. This can backfire if you and them are wildly apart on expectations, but hopefully that should be rare.

That's because the companies that are trying to hire at way below market almost always pressure applicants to name their number at the beginning of the process.

One time in my career I reached the final interview stage, with the owner and CFO of a smallish company, for a mid management position with 10 direct reports, when they revealed the salary they had in mind was--not a salary at all. They wanted to fill the position for fifteen (15) dollars per hour, times 40 hours per week. I ended the interview pretty much immediately.

A dozen times or more, on the other hand, I've had phone screens end quickly when the HR rep refused to proceed without me naming a number, whereupon I named a very high number. That's what normally happens with cheapskate companies.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Dango Bango posted:

Sorry, I probably confused things with referring to it as hazard pay rather than overtime. What I meant was CAT response teams are usually on-site for weeks at a time responding to everyone's claims.
I'll be on-location M-F working on claims, but I'll head home Friday evenings and head back out on Monday morning so I'll still have a two-day weekend, I'll just be living out of a hotel M-F.

Hadlock posted:

Oh wow I thought we were talking salary

Yeah that's fantastic for anywhere outside of healthcare
Given all the travel and living away from home, there's a significant chance of burnout with the position, so they want to make sure I'm fairly comfortable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeow that’s a spicy travel load

Most high travel jobs are M-R or Sunday night - R for a reason

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've very early in the process of interviewing for a possible new position. The recruiter has given me a range, which was public on the listing. I applied because it's pretty close to what I'd accept but I think I want to get a little bit more than that range (less than 10% additional on the top of the range at maximum). Of course, the recruiter is asking if I'm okay with the number going forward.

Based on this thread, the key is to get them to say a number first. Does this count? Is it okay to go and ask for that additional money now and see if they bite? Or do I have to drop it on them later? I only have so much time to interview.

Also bear in mind that I'm unfortunately in the position where desperately need to leave the shithole I've found myself in. For this reason I am prepared to potentially take a small pay cut, but I'm hoping to minimize that. Is asking for an additional ~5% over the range publicly listed on a position early in the process likely to succeed? On the other hand, is changing tune late in the game likely to evoke a negative reaction, or will it be tolerated because by then they've had the chance to invest time into my candidacy? That seems more likely than forking over more money to a rando off the street.

My inkling is to tell the recruiter "Tell them I'll need to be at the top of that range" and then try and negotiate at the offer stage, but this thread has proven my instincts are always wrong.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They've already said their first number and confirmed it to you, so go with the old "it'll depend on the duties of the role and the full benefits package but I'm confident we can come to an agreement" line.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Arquinsiel posted:

They've already said their first number and confirmed it to you, so go with the old "it'll depend on the duties of the role and the full benefits package but I'm confident we can come to an agreement" line.

Sorry one thing I failed to mention (don't post before coffee, or in my case, maybe I just shouldn't post at all :imunfunny:) is they did send me the benefits information. Overall it's "not great, not terrible". A real 3.6 roentgen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Don't expect much wiggle room then.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Two thoughts but you'll probably need to counter with a number since they have theirs.

1. I'd probably try to anchor early. "My salary target is (top end + 10%). I'd like to see if there's a good fit given (nice thing about company)." This has risk of them playing hardball but you can probably walk back to top end of range without appearing too soft.

2. String them along and let them fall in love while you still see if you can get engagement elsewhere. If they really fall in love they might bend or look to bring you on at a higher level.

Ultimately if you're above the range they can do then there isn't anything that will change that.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’ve got two competing offers from different companies (one of which I’d much rather work for) and boy negotiating feels horrible and nerve wracking and I hate it.

Grateful I get the option to do it, though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

That's why it's important to get your practice in before it matters!

I was in the same situation with two great offers recently. I didn't get everything I wanted, but I got closer. Always Negotiate.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BadSamaritan posted:

I’ve got two competing offers from different companies (one of which I’d much rather work for) and boy negotiating feels horrible and nerve wracking and I hate it.

Grateful I get the option to do it, though.
It gets easier every time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Funny enough, the company replied to the employee and indicated they would have honored the 2 months severance on top of their standard 3 months, except the original offer language said it would only be paid if they were laid off within a year of "transfer of control". The acquiring company completed what they call "transfer of business" just a few months ago, but they say that doesn't count as "transfer of control", which they reason happened over a year ago when the deal was initially signed. Like, the employee was one word away from getting the bonus months. Should they still fight it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zero VGS posted:

Funny enough, the company replied to the employee and indicated they would have honored the 2 months severance on top of their standard 3 months, except the original offer language said it would only be paid if they were laid off within a year of "transfer of control". The acquiring company completed what they call "transfer of business" just a few months ago, but they say that doesn't count as "transfer of control", which they reason happened over a year ago when the deal was initially signed. Like, the employee was one word away from getting the bonus months. Should they still fight it?

They should bring this to an employment lawyer, I think.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Like, the employee was one word away from getting the bonus months.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that the employee was never going to get that bonus because the company was always going to find an excuse not to pay it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Transfer of control means when the parent took the voting stock. If that happened a year ago then they're right, it's past his time. An employment lawyer might give him a free consultation to check it over, but if they moved the stock over a year ago that's pretty cut and dry.

Transfer of business is a squishier thing but as it's not listed it's not relevant.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that the employee was never going to get that bonus because the company was always going to find an excuse not to pay it.

This is basically HR’s entire job, isn’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

Transfer of control means when the parent took the voting stock. If that happened a year ago then they're right, it's past his time. An employment lawyer might give him a free consultation to check it over, but if they moved the stock over a year ago that's pretty cut and dry.

Transfer of business is a squishier thing but as it's not listed it's not relevant.
When the actual transaction concluded seems to be the crux point. If the company claims that the window ended when they signed and not when the contractual terms were actioned then that looks like a really interesting way to waste a lot of money on lawyers when they could just give the dude two months extra pay. I can't want to hear how this one shakes out.