Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weird guy
Jul 19, 2022

by Azathoth
Instead of forgiving such a paltry amount ($10k iirc) they probably should have forgiven 100% of the debt for each debtor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

weird guy posted:

Instead of forgiving such a paltry amount ($10k iirc) they probably should have forgiven 100% of the debt for each debtor.

been saying this

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

weird guy posted:

That would have been fought even HARDER by the Republicans

weird guy
Jul 19, 2022

by Azathoth

Slimy Hog posted:

It would have been better to know that 100% of the debt forgiveness was being held up by the GOP and the failed court system of the US instead of a fraction of it (I think $30k-$40k is the average for each student, I have $60k)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i got the email

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
No email here. My wife didn’t get it either. I feel like it isn’t happening anyway but I’d feel better being approved to slide in quickly if there’s a short window where they are discharging debt somehow.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Slimy Hog posted:

Which wouldn't really mean anything because the courts are currently the problem, not GOP politicians.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

rally posted:

No email here. My wife didn’t get it either. I feel like it isn’t happening anyway but I’d feel better being approved to slide in quickly if there’s a short window where they are discharging debt somehow.

They appear to be coming in waves, I only got one a few minutes ago

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this is a shitpost to net me a "i qualified for student loan forgiveness and all i got was this lousy probation" entry for the rap sheet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

cmon ya lazy GBS mods fry my rear end it wont hurt more than 20k worth

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

this is a shitpost to net me a "i qualified for student loan forgiveness and all i got was this lousy probation" entry for the rap sheet

If this ends up a thing I'll take one

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

ethanol posted:

They appear to be coming in waves, I only got one a few minutes ago

Interesting that they're going out on a Sunday.

It looks like I applied on October 16th; I wonder if application date has any bearing on the order they're getting through them. (I haven't gotten anything yet)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Don't know what order they are doing it in, but my mom who put her request in a week after I did got her email this morning and I still haven't gotten anything.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

weird guy posted:

Joe Biden is the reason student debt can’t be discharged. They probably had to trick him in some way just to get him to agree to what he did.

naem
May 29, 2011

they limited how much they forgave and limited who could get it to avoid lawsuits, might as well go for broke now

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I got my email today.

Gonna print it out and frame it.

Payments resume next month. Wonder if they will extend the freeze?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Gonna make a shirt that sez "I helped push Biden over the finish line in 2020, albeit with strong reservations, and instead of getting my remaining 8k in student loans forgiven all I got was a stupid email and now I have to budget for paying back these stupid loans for a program from which I did not even graduate and all I got was that stupid email (no one gave me this t-shirt I paid for it)."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I got an email about a half hour ago from what appears to be a legit source stating that I was approved for debt relief but they can't do anything because lawsuits. Has anyone else gotten an email like this?

I have gotten this e-mail too.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I got an email that just had a picture of Joe Biden wearing shades and shooting double middle fingers and my living room rug was hanging in the background

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Malaria posted:

I got my email today.

Gonna print it out and frame it.

Payments resume next month. Wonder if they will extend the freeze?

End of January is when they resume, I believe. So first payments would be the February ones.

I can see it going both ways; he's indicated a lack of will for extending the pause, but I think if something that's ultimately going to be part of his legacy is delayed like this, he might.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neito posted:

End of January is when they resume, I believe. So first payments would be the February ones.

I can see it going both ways; he's indicated a lack of will for extending the pause, but I think if something that's ultimately going to be part of his legacy is delayed like this, he might.

The headlines have been saying that the white house is considering extending since payments resuming was based on this forgiveness going through

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I got the email. It feels nice!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Smugworth posted:

I got an email that just had a picture of Joe Biden wearing shades and shooting double middle fingers and my living room rug was hanging in the background

Thats just frigging ridiculous!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I got the email eventually, but not before I got this thoroughly depraved email.

Which, in hindsight I guess I should have used as an opportunity to thank him for my debt relief, rather than ignoring.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
What are the odds of the applications opening back up someday?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Slugworth posted:

I got the email eventually, but not before I got this thoroughly depraved email.

Which, in hindsight I guess I should have used as an opportunity to thank him for my debt relief, rather than ignoring.

:stare: SIGN THE CARD :stare:

ProfZoom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

I hope I'm wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ProfZoom posted:

Exactly the same as the odds of them winning the legal case.

Which is technically 50/50, but actually unknowable.

If they win the case/get the injunction lifted, then the application is supposed to stay up through December 2023.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Len posted:

The headlines have been saying that the white house is considering extending since payments resuming was based on this forgiveness going through

As much as I'm not a doomer, I honestly didn't expect this.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Exactly the same as the odds of them winning the legal case.

Which is technically 50/50, but actually unknowable.

If they win the case/get the injunction lifted, then the application is supposed to stay up through December 2023.

Unknowable is probably the best answer. Theoretically, the suit shouldn't have standing as far as I know (the two who are suing because they didn't qualify for the program in Texas is definitely some "own the libs" judge overstepping judicial bounds), but McConnel's spent the last few years packing the courts, so....

It's a land of contrasts.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Haven't gotten the Department of Education email yet, but I have gotten 4 email today from SoFi. All of them begging me to use them to use their private loan consolidation (which would, of course, make the loans ineligible for forgiveness). They're clearly trying their hardest to rope in every sucker they can during this time in limbo.

EDIT:

5 emails now. This latest one says I can be entered into a sweepstakes for a chance to win $75k and a trip to Hawaii.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 21, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

it would be cool if they pushed the reconsolidate date back for us trusting patient types

weird guy
Jul 19, 2022

by Azathoth

LanceHunter posted:

EDIT:

5 emails now. This latest one says I can be entered into a sweepstakes for a chance to win $75k and a trip to Hawaii.

This is insanity

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LanceHunter posted:

Haven't gotten the Department of Education email yet, but I have gotten 4 email today from SoFi. All of them begging me to use them to use their private loan consolidation (which would, of course, make the loans ineligible for forgiveness). They're clearly trying their hardest to rope in every sucker they can during this time in limbo.

EDIT:

It almost seems like stuff like this should somehow be illegal. Like deliberately misleading people about debt products that are in an endless game of calvinball, when you know better.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Where's my money you sniffling ancient bastard.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Where's my money you sniffling ancient bastard.

111 South 10th Street
St. Louis, MO. 63102

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

111 South 10th Street
St. Louis, MO. 63102

lol

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

111 South 10th Street
St. Louis, MO. 63102

Beautiful.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
so am i double hosed for procrastinating on the application or will they reopen it if by some miracle the court block gets overturned

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Still no sign of my "you've been approved" e-mail. MOHELA was more than happy to remind me to log in and make sure my account information was correct today though!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Corn Glizzy posted:

Still no sign of my "you've been approved" e-mail. MOHELA was more than happy to remind me to log in and make sure my account information was correct today though!

I haven't gotten one either fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Just got mine today and I was one of the people who got in on the beta list. They may just be going down the line and you haven't come up yet.