Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rand Brittain posted:

Any lore of interest?

Godrick has IBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

Godrick has IBS

Graft a new abdomen, that should fix it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There isn't much lore in v1, mostly gameplay focused with a little paragraph or two about NPCs but pretty light. v2 is enemies and spells so maybe that one?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

is there any point in fighting dragons if you aren't a faith build?

im playing a dex/int build, ive killed three of them so far but it seems the only thing to do with the hearts i get as rewards is trade them in for incantations that i cant use. am i missing something else?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Earwicker posted:

im playing a dex/int build, ive killed three of them so far but it seems the only thing to do with the hearts i get as rewards is trade them in for incantations that i cant use. am i missing something else?

They’re pretty easy to kill (albeit it takes a while) and they drop a lot of souls. But mostly no, you can usually ride by them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Earwicker posted:

I know at least one gives a pretty good glintblade sorcery, and a magma wyrm in a dungeon drops a perfect weapon for your build, but most of them either open up new dragon communion spells or drop incantations in my experience so if you don’t need the runes I guess not?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Treat them as gigantic bags of runes mostly, yeah, although Adulla's Moonblade is a really nice treat for sorcerers.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Every boss you don't fight is laughing at you as you run away from them

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm also laughing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

I know at least one gives a pretty good glintblade sorcery, and a magma wyrm in a dungeon drops a perfect weapon for your build, but most of them either open up new dragon communion spells or drop incantations in my experience so if you don’t need the runes I guess not?

which wyrm are you talking about?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Earwicker posted:

which wyrm are you talking about?

It’s in Gaol Cave, a mine near the start of Caelid.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

i keep restarting a game with a new character idea and end up accidentally becoming dex/faith every single time in these games

it always boils down to zipping around and profaning the sacred while looking evil as gently caress

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 20, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

thanks! i think i saw that one and got scared off when i was very low level, time to go back

ive been playing this game very slowly due to constant family and work stuff going on, so it feels like just a massive infinite world. at this point im around level 120 and starting to go back and go through some of the areas i explored when i was low level because i did a lot of running around real fast just to collect items and find bonfires etc and missed a ton of stuff

quote:

so if you don’t need the runes I guess not?

i stopped killing anything just for runes after i discovered the bird farm. you can make a million runes an hour shooting that stupid bird

in general seems like this game kind of hands out runes a lot more than the souls games did with souls. you can probably get the first several levels up without even killing anything

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 21, 2022

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Last Celebration posted:

Earwicker posted:

thanks! i think i saw that one and got scared off when i was very low level, time to go back

The wyrm is in Gael Tunnel, not Gaol Cave. Gaol Cave's boss is a frenzied duelist who drops the putrid corpse ashes, then you can go past the boss room to get the Regalia of Eochaid.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
https://i.imgur.com/mNdpDFF.mp4

panic rolling when that wasn't actually just a tree or whatever

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The other reason to kill dragons is because it's good training. Most of them share the same moveset, and so when you eventually come across one that's in your way or has something you'd find useful, it's good to know how to kill them (and survive).

I particularly recommend going after Ancient Dragon Lansseax in the Altus Plateau, since she's the first you'll see of an important recurring endgame enemy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I say kill the dragons because they dared to pick a fight with you.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Darth Walrus posted:

Treat them as gigantic bags of runes mostly, yeah, although Adulla's Moonblade is a really nice treat for sorcerers.

I feel like this was implied in the game itself the two largest dragons are more like landscape than dragons, there's the one you can kill in Caelid and the other that you climb in Leyndell.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Paracelsus posted:

The wyrm is in Gael Tunnel, not Gaol Cave

thank you, i killed the wyrm and got moonveil its a very nice sword!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Normal dragons are based off DS3's Midir. Which was a good boss fight once you've learnt their intricacies, exposing their head weakpoint after every attack. They did however dampen down the requirement to go for headshots though, leg shots don't deal that much less damage.

Ancient dragons on the other hand are bad. They are way too big, mean you have to free camera the fight in order to retain vision over their attacks. But they are also way too tall and spindly, meaning that it's very easy to whiff attacks on their heads and limbs while free aimed. And due to their height, alot of your attacks will often fail to hit their head during what should be a brief punish window.

Their normal attack combos have a very annoying delayed lightning explosion attached. And they are usually fought on curved or sloping arenas, which again often shifts their hitboxes out of your range.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I never killed that big immobile dragon in caelid from the front lol.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

I never killed that big immobile dragon in caelid from the front lol.

You're not supposed to. The gimmick there is that you're supposed to kill the smaller dragons around it. Each one you kill takes a chunk off of the bigger dragon's life bar.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Let’s not go crazy here, they could have made her immune to bleed if we weren’t supposed to go hacking at her.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You're not supposed to. The gimmick there is that you're supposed to kill the smaller dragons around it. Each one you kill takes a chunk off of the bigger dragon's life bar.

Yeah that's what I've never done.

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

I'm late to the Elden Ring party, managed to not spoil much so far for myself, just "stuck on boss, go do other things", and that 50-60 vigor is the place to stop. Currently lvl 60ish just past Rennala. I had my reservations about an open world souls game but they've nailed it. Just roaming around randomly finding a hidden catacombs triggers some real joy alot of games lack. Managing to kill the dragon in the Limegrave swamp on pure horseback was fun and hectic.
Playing it safe/boring with a dex build so far, 40 dex 30 vigor some endurance. Couple of questions for a vague 1st run through:

1) Are these alright stopping points for moving into a split build like dex/int? Or are split builds more of a NG+ thing?
2) Are spells kinda like previous souls games where to get a build to work I've got to content skip to near end game to get some workable ones? I don't mind loving around on later playthroughs but I try to play it "legit" the 1st time.
3) Am I going to have to pump vigor now up to the safe spot to not be miserable for the next few areas?
4) I'm kinda regretting chucking my smithing stones(3) into hookclaws, the range is really starting to wear me down. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and ask, where to farm just these ones to try other weapons out? I have the merchant upgrade for infinite 1's and 2's.
5) Affinity swapping is such a great addition, how much gimping does it suffer from though if I swap an obvious strength weapon into keen? I get there's going to be top dogs in each category, just how much is the trade off. I'm using a keen nightrider flail for armoured enemies, it's working fine but am I like 80% worse off or something?
5a) Can I just ignore the slash/strike deal overall or is it a big deal for some bosses?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i've never killed any dragons. you can just run past all of them.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Arcane/Faith builds are my favorite, but I'm hampered because I'm emotionally soft.

Killing the old lady dragon is optimal, but that requires killing her children or killing her ij front of her family, and that makes me super sad.

I'd rather genocide countless bloody frog people than watch a grandma dragon openly wail during her death animation tbh

Her death throes look so sad 😞

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That dragon is fused to the ground by super cancer, you’re practically doing it a favor by killing it.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

You might be right in the long term, and I'm pro-willing euthanasia but like...

You kill her children in front of her, and her death animation has her throw her head towards the sky while roaring.

I feel like I'm making a mother witness the slaughter of her children, and it hits too close to my heart.

Though that is evidence that Elden Ring is great at narrative focused writing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah that particular dragon is clearly in a state of misery, and her babies would almost certainly be better off Anywhere But Caelid (as we have clear proof, in the form of their mother, that they're not at all immune to Scarlet Rot). Killing her might seem brutal, but it's for the best - she's never getting better, and without her there, her children will be more likely to spread out and take up residence in less infectious surroundings.

Of course, if you kill her by murdering her kids in front of her until her heart breaks, you're a monster. But you can always do it humanely by slowly sawing her to death with Giza's Wheel.

:v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mufasa Nigel posted:

I'm late to the Elden Ring party, managed to not spoil much so far for myself, just "stuck on boss, go do other things", and that 50-60 vigor is the place to stop. Currently lvl 60ish just past Rennala. I had my reservations about an open world souls game but they've nailed it. Just roaming around randomly finding a hidden catacombs triggers some real joy alot of games lack. Managing to kill the dragon in the Limegrave swamp on pure horseback was fun and hectic.
Playing it safe/boring with a dex build so far, 40 dex 30 vigor some endurance. Couple of questions for a vague 1st run through:

1) Are these alright stopping points for moving into a split build like dex/int? Or are split builds more of a NG+ thing?
2) Are spells kinda like previous souls games where to get a build to work I've got to content skip to near end game to get some workable ones? I don't mind loving around on later playthroughs but I try to play it "legit" the 1st time.
3) Am I going to have to pump vigor now up to the safe spot to not be miserable for the next few areas?
4) I'm kinda regretting chucking my smithing stones(3) into hookclaws, the range is really starting to wear me down. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and ask, where to farm just these ones to try other weapons out? I have the merchant upgrade for infinite 1's and 2's.
5) Affinity swapping is such a great addition, how much gimping does it suffer from though if I swap an obvious strength weapon into keen? I get there's going to be top dogs in each category, just how much is the trade off. I'm using a keen nightrider flail for armoured enemies, it's working fine but am I like 80% worse off or something?
5a) Can I just ignore the slash/strike deal overall or is it a big deal for some bosses?

1. You can do dex/int fine in NG, getting to level 150 without farming is pretty easy in this game
2. There’s a fairly clear “path” for sorcerers that points you in slightly different direction than other characters might go, and there’s some stuff you can rush early, but it doesn’t end up being a sequence break or anything. It’s more like DS1’s power curve for sorcery than DS2 or DS3.
3. Not yet, but eventually. It wouldn’t hurt to get up to 40 around the time you’re going to Altus.
4. There’s a mine in Altus which has the merchant upgrade item for them. Farming stones directly is kind of hard. Make sure you’ve been to Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel (mostly +3s) and checked out all the gazebos in the lake in Liurnia, they usually have some
5. Depends on the weapons/enemy defenses involved, check the scaling you get—but you can upgrade your way to the point where it doesn’t usually matter all that much.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So I actually bothered to finish the deathroot quest and man, it suuure feels like it was meant to be mandatory knowing Malekith has a special response to you if you finished and his quest ending if you don’t assume Gurranq = Malekith is just him doing the old “I have to go now, my planet needs me”

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's a videogame, I kill everything that moves, and many things that don't

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Last Celebration posted:

So I actually bothered to finish the deathroot quest and man, it suuure feels like it was meant to be mandatory knowing Malekith has a special response to you if you finished and his quest ending if you don’t assume Gurranq = Malekith is just him doing the old “I have to go now, my planet needs me”

That alternate dialogue from Gurranq has the best acted line delivery in elden ring. He's fuckin heartbroken that its you of all people come for destined death. 'Tarnished.. wh.. why'

'Oh god im sorry buddy' as I hack him to death.

Actually that happens a bunch in this game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If you're going to kill Greyroll, don't forget to pick up the gold scarab and a gold chicken leg for max soul gain. If you do it early you can easily get a dozen or more levels' worth of souls.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mufasa Nigel posted:

You can ignore damage types if you want and just brute-force your way through everything but some enemies are significantly weaker to strike damage than the other physical damage types, like the stone imps, the calcified miners, and especially the crystalmen. My MO when playing this game is, I keep two weapons levelled up, one with regular smithing stones and the other with somber ones, and make sure at least one of them is blunt

The only enemies I've found who are noticeably resistant to blunt damage are the masses of tentacles.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I’m not sure if it has been patched, but if you can make it to the bonfire after you kill Greyoll but before she dies (lol weird sentence), you get the runes and she lives!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Going to laugh when Greyroll is part of some major quest line in the DLC

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Mufasa Nigel posted:

As mentioned, you can, but you shouldn't. I keep a fist weapon as a back up for strike damage without having to carry a heavy hammer or anything. There are a few places absolutely loaded with enemies where anything else but strike will bounce off of them for pathetic chip damage and stun you instead. Basically anything with stone skin. You'll have a much easier time keeping a strike weapon in reserve. Alternatively if your main weapon is colossal then it probably won't matter too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Jay Rust posted:

especially the crystalmen.

Crystalians are as vulnerable to standard damage as they are to strike, they just resist everything except those two a bunch. The big advantage of strike weapons against them is that strike weapons usually also deal a ton of poise damage and poise-breaking the crystalians is how you make their resistances go away (and probably into the negatives).