Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Rock beating flying just makes sense. If two birds can be killed with one stone, then one bird being hit with one stone is double dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Scholtz posted:

The romhack scene for Scarlet and Violet is going to be so good in a decade

I'm half joking but honestly these games, despite their flaws, have made me more excited for the future of Pokémon than any other game. The flesh is rotting in some places but the skeleton has never been better.

Agree wholeheartedly. It feels amazing traversing this game, I just wish there was more to actually travel to. The mechanics here are great.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Rock beating flying just makes sense. If two birds can be killed with one stone, then one bird being hit with one stone is double dead.

Does that saying even exist in japanese?

The weakness chart falls apart if you think about it too hard. Steel being weak to fire... when steel actually has a higher melting point than most other materials? Grass being weak to fire might seem like a no brainer... until you try to start a campfire from green wood. Why is rock weak to water?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Birds think they know so much about flying. Let's see what they know when they have a big boulder dropped on their back. :smug:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Avalerion posted:

The weakness chart falls apart if you think about it too hard. Steel being weak to fire... when steel actually has a higher melting point than most other materials? Grass being weak to fire might seem like a no brainer... until you try to start a campfire from green wood. Why is rock weak to water?

Rock and Ground are weak to Water due to erosion wearing them away

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Yes they literally have it as a borrowed phrase from English and a bunch of applicable synonyms too

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Have you ever tried to punch a bird?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Having a blast with this game so far! I did have one game-breaking glitch, but a reload fixed that. Otherwise, has been fairly smooth sailing. I did manage to go way off-course and mess up the order I was 'supposed' to do things, which is hilarious. I did the first two gyms and then went to work on the titans, since those dragonbike upgrades seem so useful. My pokemon are all round level 30, hitting up against the two-badge cap, and I did titans 1, 2... and 4, apparently. I was wondering why the Ground Titan was kicking my butt so badly, and it turns out that it's level 45? Regardless, after a bunch of cheese, I managed to down it, and now I've got a gliding dragonbike way before the game apparently expects me to have one, lol.

Things I like:
- I find the storylines pretty charming so far! Sandwich-quest was a fun twist, and then to be hit moments later with a sick dog was such a mood swing. Seems like Penny is pulling down her own organization from the outside??? These gym challenges have been refreshingly varied so far.
- The non-linearity is really good. See above story.
- The move / box / TM management is so streamlined, and I'm already finding some Mints early in the game, so it seems like easier than ever to build your team however you want.
- Dragon-bike's cutscene animation is so good! Clearly an area that they spent a lot of time on.

I'm curious about the scarlet/violet distribution and if there are any official numbers. Anecdotally, all my friends independently picked scarlet, and I was watching a twitch streamer play the game and he commented that when he picked up a physical copy in the store, he went Violet because they had like 30 copies of that and none of Scarlet.

My bug story:
I went to the Fire Team-Star base first, and did pretty well. However, when the Boss came out in her mad-max car, something glitched and the ground wasn't initialized properly. She was supposed to deploy her pokemon onto the hood of her car, but instead she threw it into the ground, and when my pokemon came out, it also went into the ground. By manipulating the camera, I could see that they were both down about six feet, but in the normal view they were both completely hidden. The fight proceeded mechanically normally, though, so I just rolled with it. After beating the Boss, the screen went black for thirty seconds, and then I got the Boss's defeat animation, with no text boxes. After this, the game just flat-out crashed with an error message! Reloaded the game and it worked the way it was supposed to. Weird!

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 21, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I went Violet, but I do think the Scarlet paradox pokemon look pretty sick.

I think I've gotten like two Tera Raids where I pick the card to work. Random's great every time, but sometimes there's an exciting one and it's dissapointing knowing the entire rack of cards is now worthless.

I still cannot stop, however. I'm up to my rear end in treasure, exp candy, and pokemon parts, though. Who needs gym badges or anything?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bobulus posted:

I'm curious about the scarlet/violet distribution and if there are any official numbers. Anecdotally, all my friends independently picked scarlet, and I was watching a twitch streamer play the game and he commented that when he picked up a physical copy in the store, he went Violet because they had like 30 copies of that and none of Scarlet.

I picked Violet after a ton of deliberation, but I feel occasional buyer's remorse running around the world because it seems like it would be neat to be running around on a dinosaur's back instead of riding a jet motorcycle. I do like how Miraidon seems to have some personality instead of being a robot, he feels like a chill lizard/snake to Koraidon's goofy dino dragon. I definitely prefer the violet fashion though.

Anecdotally I've done a few Tera raids and there's always at least two Scarlet players and often three, with myself the only Violet.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I like the idea of non-linearity but it's kind of annoying that if you don't go in a specific order you will get your rear end kicked. And there doesn't seem to be any indication that you're going out of order until you get your rear end kicked...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On my way to the first Titan, I assume they’re like Totem Pokemon and can’t be caught right?

I also assume you get to fight Nemona at her full power late in the game as hinted at early on

They really could have made the Pokemon in the overworld a little bigger though, I keep running into wild encounters by accident (especially when in tall grassy areas)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Avalerion posted:

Steel being weak to fire... when steel actually has a higher melting point than most other materials? Grass being weak to fire might seem like a no brainer... until you try to start a campfire from green wood. Why is rock weak to water?

Metal in general melts when hot, plants burn easily, and rocks sink in water.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Avalerion posted:

Junichi Masuda feverishly believes that jet fuel does, in fact, melt steel beams.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

How does the shield mechanic in tera raids work? Trying my first four star and it puts up the shield and tells me to terastallize my pokemon but that does not seem to help.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1594359994736119810?s=46&t=-9kJxKHKcX5q3IrYRY-yHg

:perfect:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Going around the world now finding all the colored totems so I can capture some of those legendaries behind the colored doors

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There's SO MUCH TAAAAALKIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG UUUUGGGHHHHH

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Macaluso posted:

There's SO MUCH TAAAAALKIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG UUUUGGGHHHHH

Yeah. thank god for turbo buttons

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Are you still in the school? If so, stay strong, friend; a world of silence awaits you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Baller Ina posted:

Are you still in the school? If so, stay strong, friend; a world of silence awaits you.

I got out of the school (which was absolute torture) but then did a titan and a star base and there was too much talking during those too

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I got out of the school (which was absolute torture) but then did a titan and a star base and there was too much talking during those too

There's so much talking in the school and all of it amounts to "go out and do stuff idk"

I actually think the writing is quite good and entertaining. I just don't need them to explain to me thirty times the concept of Having an Adventure.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

That guy is extremely mad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Weird cuz this is exactly the Pokemon game I wanted. Now that I've found the rainbowstriped beanie, I'm not even upset about the fashion any more. It's just loving joyful.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Macaluso posted:

I like the talking, it feels more like a jrpg now

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm going to be posting my review once I've finished the game. But for those upset thinking the games are forcing you into a set pattern just raid battle and pick up some exp. candies. I did Katy first just because she seemed the easiest but if you want to improvise from there the path is open.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 21, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I accidentally explored too much and didn't guess right on the level progression of some areas and completely stomped some activities because I was at least ten levels higher than them. I was fine being under leveled for some other areas because it added some challenge and I couldn't just tell garchomp to earthquake everything to death.

Something cool would be that when you activate a flight point it'll tell you the level range around it.

Oh and you should all explore as much as you can and fight every trainer as there's some good rewards from the dude at the poke centers. Also there's some cool tera pokemon littered around that seem to be there on purpose as the types make some sense to them instead of being completely random.

Just explore. Stop asking for directions and explore.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Macaluso posted:

If a titan was too much talking for you stay away from the water gym

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I looked up a suggested order to do things in because I was feeling overwhelmed and it's a bad week for my ADHD but like - I could easily ignore it and just try whatever. Also I cannot resist running across any given field towards a beam of light. I think I might be a moth.

e: This hat, this is a good hat. And I found the tights with the stars on them. That would never have worked when I was at school, our head teacher had a real bee in her bonnet about what colour tights we were wearing.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 21, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

but it sliterally the game everyone wanted

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

HopperUK posted:

I looked up a suggested order to do things in because I was feeling overwhelmed and it's a bad week for my ADHD but like - I could easily ignore it and just try whatever. Also I cannot resist running across any given field towards a beam of light. I think I might be a moth.

e: This hat, this is a good hat. And I found the tights with the stars on them. That would never have worked when I was at school, our head teacher had a real bee in her bonnet about what colour tights we were wearing.

as a fellow adhd-haver, the moth urge is real

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what is “the game everyone wants” even

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

goferchan posted:

I appreciate the fairy type advantage explanations but the ones I've always been really bemused with are Rock->Flying and Flying->Fighting. I guess it's just because it would really gently caress up a bird if you hit it with a rock, and you would also look really silly trying to do karate on a bird?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Augus posted:

For me its this one? I've run into one softlock but the core loop of explore catch fight and move on is so solid.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah, I've played through almost the whole game and this is like, next to Legends Arceus, Emerald, and SuMo up in my favorite Pokemon games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think my favorite part of the article is that it's on a satire site...

...in the "this is actual, truthful, news" section.

But the fact that he just glosses the hell over the existence of the two coliseum games is a good laugh too. What a dumb thing to write a butthurt article over.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Augus posted:

Its funny because it does answer some fan requests: People wanted a dolphin and flamingo Pokemon and wanted Dunsparce to evolve... and they literally got all that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Zuzie posted:

Its funny because it does answer some fan requests: People wanted a dolphin and flamingo Pokemon and wanted Dunsparce to evolve... and they literally got all that.

where's my capybara pokemon GF

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay it's probably explained in one of the terrible terrible dialogue boxes I've been mashing through, but I do not understand the area numbers. The left side of the island it seemed obvious like oh okay so area twos seem to be like level 20+. But then this desert has mobs that are like 30+, but the trainers are all around my lower 20s level? So okay maybe i'll try exploring the right side. Oh area two is on the other side of area three, I guess I'm gonna to be needing to avoid really tough encounters for area three while I make my way to area two! Oh wait no, this Pokemon I just ran into in area 3 is level 14. What on earth?

I know people hate this kind of thing cause I guess it ruins the mystery of the open worldness, but I would love for it to just show a Pokemon level range on the map in each spot so I can get a better sense of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Okay it's probably explained in one of the terrible terrible dialogue boxes I've been mashing through, but I do not understand the area numbers. The left side of the island it seemed obvious like oh okay so area twos seem to be like level 20+. But then this desert has mobs that are like 30+, but the trainers are all around my lower 20s level? So okay maybe i'll try exploring the right side. Oh area two is on the other side of area three, I guess I'm gonna to be needing to avoid really tough encounters for area three while I make my way to area two! Oh wait no, this Pokemon I just ran into in area 3 is level 14. What on earth?

I know people hate this kind of thing cause I guess it ruins the mystery of the open worldness, but I would love for it to just show a Pokemon level range on the map in each spot so I can get a better sense of things.

Go on serebii and look up poke-earth.