Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

literally landslide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What is going on with this poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Daryl driving by off to Death Stranding

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

No seriously what the gently caress is this

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ok that was pretty bad but what skyline was Rick in front of?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The official slogan of this show for the last five years, right there

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

hawowanlawow posted:

ok that was pretty bad but what skyline was Rick in front of?

Looked like New York to me, which would be funny to lead Dead City and the Rick/Michonne spin-offs together. But it was a really quick shot, so hard to say.

Ending was kind of meh. But at lest it was better than the comics ending, which if anyone read those here: Terribad.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
That was completely nonsensical. Lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This show is finally over. Good. I think everyone lost interest a long time ago and when I was reading the summaries of this season, it all seemed so boring and meandering like it didn't even know it was coming to an end.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Codependent Poster posted:

like it didn't even know it was coming to an end.

Because it didn't. They got cancelled mid-filming season 11, which is why they had to scramble the back half (and as a viewer since day 1: they flubbed that by meandering with the plot until these final two episodes) to a conclusion instead of keeping the "reapers" they were setting Maggie's write-in back (after Whiskey Tango or whatever flopped) up with.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Ending was kind of meh. But at lest it was better than the comics ending, which if anyone read those here: Terribad.

The comics ending was a natural stopping point to put at the end of the narrative line, that resolved the major conflict and reflected on what came before. This is something they threw together to tie up whatever Calvin ball shenanigans they've been running on for last near decade.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Mulva posted:

The comics ending was a natural stopping point to put at the end of the narrative line, that resolved the major conflict and reflected on what came before. This is something they threw together to tie up whatever Calvin ball shenanigans they've been running on for last near decade.

Nah, the comic ending was abrupt as hell. Let's be honest, here. Kirkman got tired of writing for the series (which is fine), had fake issue covers made (which is ok as a fake out) and ended the series with no actual proper conclusions beyond "Rick dies, becomes a 'god'/savior, Carl connects the world [but we don't really see this or know this is coming], and get 2-3 different time jumps to get this ending."

It's not a good ending, personally speaking, because it has no proper set-up. Rick finishes the Commonwealth's bullshit, gets shot in retaliation, the kid (who dies in the show) is jailed like Negan was, and then we get time-skipped with no actual impacts from being at the Commonwealth.

Hell, Princess isn't even seen again after breaking up with Mercer in the comics (something the TV show thankfully rectifies with a somewhat funny breaking-out-of-jail scene). It's like "why would you introduce this character and then do nothing with her?"

Was it a "good stopping point?" We could debate the merits with how (post-time-skip) the nation/etc. is reunited and if that is good or bad. But personally, I'm talking about how Kirkman basically rushed the entire thing out to just be finished with the series.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
And none of that matters because this show is even worse. Like you can make a million more points about all the problems you had with the comic, and I won't even fight the ones that just factually wrong. I'd let them all stand. The comic ended. This? Isn't even an ending, it's just this show dying because nobody is watching it and them hoping the spin-offs are more popular. And it wasn't even a good version of that. The comic will always, always be superior by dint of actually loving ending the narrative. And it really doesn't matter what you think about the quality of the ending in the face of that. It ended. The tv show failed and was put down.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Can someone please spoil the finale for me? I read the Comic one, and sure as poo poo am not watching the final season.

Thanks, in advance.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The World beyond was a good mini series.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I liked the finale. Great acting, excellent music, dumb ugly explosion. Hearing Rick Grimes's voice had me cheesing so hard. The human and emotional moments were good, that was always what this show did best IMO and it's what originally resonated with me when I finally decided to watch during Season 6. In general I enjoy horror, zombies, action scenes, but I never watched TWD because it seemed so melodramatic. And oh it certainly is, but I really connected with the many scenes of one character looking another straight in the eye and plainly saying/explaining/reminding "Yes this entire world is stupid evil bullshit, but we have to keep going and trying."
The camaraderie in hell-on-earth just really clicked for me. It humbled me too--how I kept waiting for this Carol lady to die, especially now that they found her daughter and she has nothing to live for, gosh these TV writers are so transparent! When Daryl rescued her from the farm in the S2 finale was one of the first times I realized I was beginning to love the show. What a unique arc for Melissa McBride, how cool is that?

I've always had a soft spot for TWD because I binged during a real dark low point. It gave me stuff to feel when I wasn't feeling much of anything. Sometimes that's enough. I was always rooting for it to improve and make sense and be coherent and stop being fumbled by AMC Committee board meeting focus group tinkering. I was often let down but I never hate-watched.

I agree with the many people that say TWD is one of those shows that benefits from binge watching. A few months ago I rewatched S7-S9E5/Rick's departure, my first viewing since original airdates, and it does flow much better. I think I wouldn't have connected with TWD if I watched the early seasons as they aired. I'm thankful for my right-place right-time experience.

Later TWD will live in my same brain realm of later-season Game of Thrones or sequel trilogy Star Wars--can't stop wondering about what-ifs and what could have been.

I just hope AMC wises up. They need new writers and restructuring. I watched a few Tales episodes and they were same-y and bland. FtWD had an incredible S3 but it went so far downhill it's unwatchable, I quit years ago. World Beyond I quit after two episodes (I heard S2 is much better tho). I recommend the Telltale games, I'm not a huge gamer, especially single player, but I found them engaging, emotive, honestly amazing.

Other finale stuff I liked:
-Luke's death was kinda silly at first but the reactions of his group were really well done
-Judith getting secured in the hospital room like Rick
-the music. Bear McCreary showed up.
-the dinner scene, like how Rick imagined having one day
-closure of Gaberial's arc. He was willing to die to let innocents inside, compare that to his introduction.
-Negan's talk with Maggie. Maggie's talk with Negan. A+
-everything with Rosita
-I always wanted them to kill more characters but I'm glad they didn't here in the finale for Just Cuz and OMGOMG cheap shock reasons. The show found other ways to make this viewer emotional, like acting and dialogue, wow who knew.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ninurta posted:

Can someone please spoil the finale for me? I read the Comic one, and sure as poo poo am not watching the final season.

Thanks, in advance.

Yes this please.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the voiceover fast forward through the whole zombie horde problem and the solution to the smart zombies being "hey watch out for them smart zombies, be careful now" was pretty egregious

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Senor Tron posted:

Yes this please.

It was an hour-long commercial for the spinoffs. You want closure? Maybe you'll get it in one of the other series! (Probably not though)

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Deadite posted:

It was an hour-long commercial for the spinoffs. You want closure? Maybe you'll get it in one of the other series! (Probably not though)

I'm kind of wondering why they are going on with all these spinoffs. Does the show still have a huge viewership/is it still profitable?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It was still pulling 3-5M viewers every week despite AMC home presence being down 20% over 3 years ago. Plus however many watched on the AMC streaming service.

A far cry from its 13-15M peak but for a cable show hitting over 1M is a runaway success.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The audience are the real zombies

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

shoutouts to the characters whose names we could never remember or were completely replaced by nicknames

congratulations

Ezekiel "the king"
Lydia "dirt grub"
Jerry "fat guy"
Dwight "burned up freak"
Yumiko "the lawyer"
Connie "deaf girl"
Kelly "deaf girl's sister"
Magna "prison girl"
Elijah "mask guy"
Scott "black dude from Alexandria"
Laura "neck tat girl"
Rick "love, actually"

RIP

Carl "coral"
Lucas "fat music guy"
Rosita "tomb raider"
Alden "guy from Boston"
Sasha "wiggly eyes"
Abraham "red haired guy"
Simon "Steven Ogg"
Gavin "bored savior guy"
Tyrese "Cutty from The Wire"
Bob "D from The Wire"
Shane "dumbass redneck"
Otis "guy from The X-Files"
Noah "everybody hates Chris"
Shiva "the tiger"
Gregory "weasely guy"
Leah "Daryl's girlfriend"

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 21, 2022

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

hawowanlawow posted:

shoutouts to the characters whose names we could never remember or were completely replaced by nicknames

congratulations

Rick "stuff, thangs"

RIP

Shane "was right"

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

hawowanlawow posted:

RIP

Simon "Steven Ogg"

This one made me laugh. I just called him Trevor

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Steven Ogg had the best talking dead moment, where he caused the censors to break talking about his character and Negan loving

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
The finale writers really overestimated how much the viewers care about Luke and Rosita

Actually I think the writers overestimated how much the viewers cared about most of this overstuffed cast

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

How could you forget T-Dog "T-Dog"?

or Herschel "unlimited ammo"?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Stopped watching when the season 4 premiere completely negated the season 3 finale. Did the Hyundai survive?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

His name was Thaddeus Doggbert

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
RIP 3dog

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
shoutout to the guy who just kept working at the CDC and delivered a sweet cliffhanger

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Any word from the other provinces?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

at least the two good characters made it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

or Herschel "unlimited ammo"?

I didn't forget them or their names so they didn't make the list, Herschel and T-Dog were S-Tier characters

although to be honest I called T-Dog "clumsy motherfucker" a lot

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Did Rick come back and was it explained what happened to him after the bridge blew up? I don't care about spoilers anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Gambrinus posted:

I don't care anymore.

This is the correct sentiment for all the remaining Walking Dead series and spinoffs.