Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
ugh, them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Theatre owns, i really like stage productions. haven't been in years because they're for rich people lol

last feb i got my mom tickets to an agatha christie play in her city and she loved it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Doc Fission posted:

Movie theaters are fun and cool, you weirdos.

that was true once
now they're disease boxes and the appeal of the highest caliber ones are that they show old movies while you can drink overpriced beer and people around you eat bacon covered everythings and chew and fart and cough for two hours

A good movie on a big screen can be a fun time if everyone is there to watch it but as they stand, they're bad movies played in a TGI fridays

Live theater/music is a different story. Love those

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drinking a ton of beer during a movie is fun at the time but then i take six bathroom breaks and get too wrecked and don't remember what i watched

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

drinking a ton of beer during a movie is fun at the time but then i take six bathroom breaks and get too wrecked and don't remember what i watched

i had edibles for the first time watching LOTR Return of the Kings in an theater with vibrating seats. I don’t remember what I watched but it was freakin epic

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

on the other hand getting sloshed at a concert is a lot of fun and the best bands even know to throw dud songs into the setlist to give you piss breaks

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

love the big screen with big sound baby!! may the cinema live forever

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i was in africa when django came out and i'm not sure i could have a better movie experience if i tried so i haven't tried

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ALoSiJaEE

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i went to a concert in august and got covid even with the boosters it sucked poo poo. i'm done doing crowded closed-air poo poo. Theaters were cool sometimes, like I wish I had seen Dune in one, but it's seriously not worth it. Covid really, really sucks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Doc Fission posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it was very funny to see the alamo drafthouse model blow up in austin a decade ago and then spread across the country. the food is loving terrible

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

i went to a concert in august and got covid even with the boosters it sucked poo poo. i'm done doing crowded closed-air poo poo. Theaters were cool sometimes, like I wish I had seen Dune in one, but it's seriously not worth it. Covid really, really sucks.

this is why I do the pro move of going to movies on weekday afternoons for stuff nobody is watching

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I saw Bardo last week by taking a half day off work to catch it around noon. Completely empty room.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Heh, have fun catching plague in your precious "theater"... I shall torrent the movie at home.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

The negan season was the height of the show so graph tracks

Honestly the show had a lot going for it but the last 4-5 seasons were dumb as poo poo and the show felt like a LARP, as in everything was "clean" and the actors looked like they were wearing costumes, far cry from everyone just wearing dirty t shirts or whatever siphoning gas and eating beans instead of whatever the hell the show turned into. It kinda just became a cartoon.

Fear the walking dead was a lot more compelling but it too is turning into a weird rear end video game where everyone is wearing costumes and LARPing.

Fear the Walking Dead peaked when a doomsday cult took over a beached submarine and launched it's ICBMs to nuke half the US

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Srice posted:

I saw Bardo last week by taking a half day off work to catch it around noon. Completely empty room.

yeah that's the move — i caught Tár on veteran's day in an almost empty theater

Bardo looks insufferable tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yeah that's the move — i caught Tár on veteran's day in an almost empty theater

Bardo looks insufferable tho

I liked it but I cannot deny that it is absolutely up its own rear end. Gonna be curious to see how folks react to it once it's out on Netflix.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Pccq0DZVc

for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnzcAFy8d8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2PoXfZdYVU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

drat this rules

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Auralnauts is amazing, their recuts of Star Wars are insanely funny and they've actually managed to turn the prequels into something with a marginally acceptable narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Doc Fission posted:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

bedpan posted:

My personal Harvey Weinstein conspiracy theory is that the was exposed and toppled because he had ceased to produce awards.

Agreed that every single person inside Hollywood with decision making power knew exactly what Harvey was doing, knew for decades in some cases, and didn't care.

My conspiracy theory is #Metoo was less about stopping predators and more about Capital stepping in and going “Guess what assholes? We’re cutting costs, so the star system is dead now baby. Now stop demanding more money for stuff and stop making things with the wrong politics or we will gladly air your dirty laundry and end your careers.”

Marvel/Disney were grumbling about not being able to treat their Actors as bad as their comic book writers and artists since at least the Avengers, and it was funny how some clearly predatory celebrities were never touched (Bryan Singer comes to mind) and I can only assume it was because they were team players.

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Nov 21, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that was true once
now they're disease boxes and the appeal of the highest caliber ones are that they show old movies while you can drink overpriced beer and people around you eat bacon covered everythings and chew and fart and cough for two hours

A good movie on a big screen can be a fun time if everyone is there to watch it but as they stand, they're bad movies played in a TGI fridays

Live theater/music is a different story. Love those
Movie theaters were always disease boxes, who cares

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Movie theaters were always disease boxes, who cares

movie theaters = "disease boxes"

Live theater/music = "a different story"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

oscarthewilde posted:

Auralnauts is amazing, their recuts of Star Wars are insanely funny and they've actually managed to turn the prequels into something with a marginally acceptable narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8

The prequels have always had a perfectly coherent narrative, also this gives me an excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzjOlh5g_o

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

My conspiracy theory is #Metoo was less about stopping predators and more about Capital stepping in and going “Guess what assholes? We’re cutting costs, so the star system is dead now baby. Now stop demanding more money for stuff and stop making things with the wrong politics or we will gladly air your dirty laundry and end your careers.”

Marvel/Disney were grumbling about not being able to treat their Actors as bad as their comic book writers and artists since at least the Avengers, and it was funny how some clearly predatory celebrities were never touched (Bryan Singer comes to mind) and I can only assume it was because they were team players.

I do think Weinstein was probably the most conspicuous offender and by letting him be exposed many other abusers could avoid the spotlight and keep the hollywood aristocracy, actors producers and some directors, from a greater purging. They circled the wagons and left harvey out in the cold do draw the wolves.

But I think that's about it, they knew there was too much interest building in what happens behind closed doors so it was like a 'limited hangout' for self preservation rather than something they cooked up to manipulate eachother as a blackmail scheme

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

lol that season 7 premiere spike when people only tuned in to see who Negan killed after they stretched it into a cliffhanger, only to have the ratings plummet again

at least the show shoved Jon Bernthal and Steven Yeun into the limelight

also Andrew Lincoln had a really good performance in the Guillermo show

Durf has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Nov 21, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

movie theaters = "disease boxes"

Live theater/music = "a different story"

Look I didn't kill your precious movie theaters
I'm just not going to help save them

and I even have done that before - my college senior class gift was buying a new projector for the rundown-rear end movie theater in my town that was like the only source of entertainment for an hour in any direction

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

McCloud posted:

The prequels have always had a perfectly coherent narrative, also this gives me an excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzjOlh5g_o

oh the narrative is certainly coherent (much more so than the sequels tbh), but is it any good?

good vid btw.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

bedpan posted:

My personal Harvey Weinstein conspiracy theory is that the was exposed and toppled because he had ceased to produce awards.

Agreed that every single person inside Hollywood with decision making power knew exactly what Harvey was doing, knew for decades in some cases, and didn't care.

thats not a conspiracy theory thats one hundred percent what happened hollywood keeps the way they work as a business deliberately opaque but weinstein getting less awards was a direct consequence of him becoming less powerful in general as the hollywood financial model changed over the years

if you really want to make people mad say he only got exposed and toppled because trump won that ones also absolutely true both because democrats were desperate to make an example of some sex pest somewhere and also weinstein was a huge clinton ally and no way in hell anyone touches him if shes the president

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm watching White Lotus S2 and so far it's of the same quality as S1. always a surprise when that happens

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Durf posted:

lol that season 7 premiere spike when people only tuned in to see who Negan killed after they stretched it into a cliffhanger, only to have the ratings plummet again

at least the show shoved Jon Bernthal and Steven Yeun into the limelight

also Andrew Lincoln had a really good performance in the Guillermo show

So Negan and Maggie are now buddies or something? Yet more grist for the Asian Male Angst Mill.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm watching White Lotus S2 and so far it's of the same quality as S1. always a surprise when that happens

i just started s1 last night, watched the first two and it was pretty funny. i take it you found it worth finishing?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

it stays consistently good, imo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

i just started s1 last night, watched the first two and it was pretty funny. i take it you found it worth finishing?

it's not revolutionary but it's fun

edit one thing that's slightly disappointing so far in s2 is that there's less of a focus on the staff

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

it's so fun, i'm enjoying it so much, mike white da god

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

it stays consistently good, imo

nice

I saw Catering Christmas and Christmas with You on the weekend. I will probably be exposed to like 10 more Christmas movies in the next month.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt19264600/

quote:

Fledgling caterer Molly Frost is hired by perfectionist Jean Harrison for the renowned Harrison Foundation's annual Christmas Gala, but things get complicated when she falls for Jean's nephew, a photogropher with no desire to take over the foundation. Molly shows Carson all the good his family is able to provide.

this one was kind of odd. the photographer scion harasses a caterer his grandma hires until she relents and develops feelings. then the guy has to go take photos in Berlin on Christmas, she gets mad at herself for developing feelings on someone who’s going. then the guy has a change of heart, gives up his entire career and becomes executive director of his old money family’s charity foundation with zero qualifying experience. I’m not sure but there may have been one kiss at the end

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt15824322/

quote:

A small-town music teacher gets a chance to find love again when his daughter’s biggest idol descends on their sleepy suburban town to reignite her career and creativity. The family-friendly film, premiering Nov. 17, stars Aimee Garcia, Freddie Prinze Jr. and Deja Monique Cruz.

this was about having a quinceanara on Christmas or something but I posted through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

nice

I saw Catering Christmas and Christmas with You on the weekend. I will probably be exposed to like 10 more Christmas movies in the next month.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt19264600/

this one was kind of odd. the photographer scion harasses a caterer his grandma hires until she relents and develops feelings. then the guy has to go take photos in Berlin on Christmas, she gets mad at herself for developing feelings on someone who’s going. then the guy has a change of heart, gives up his entire career and becomes executive director of his old money family’s charity foundation with zero qualifying experience. I’m not sure but there may have been one kiss at the end

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt15824322/

this was about having a quinceanara on Christmas or something but I posted through it.