Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CPColin posted:

(some enlisted crewman in a Jeffries tube on deck 41 winks out of existence and nobody notices)

Everyone posted:

So that's one reason the only enlisted crewman is O'Brien.

(Chief watching the crewman disappear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm all for making GBS threads on Berman now but I feel like blaming him for 'I didn't get a totally different episode that I imagined in my head' is pushing it somewhat even for him.

no, I was making two separate complaints but I get why it was confusing.

1) I think it was a better episode without those last five minutes

2) The "genghis khan with an ak47" idea that Berman was trying to write an episode around, one that is pretty fun and a scifi staple that would be good Trek, isn't in the final product at all. It's maybe the story of the guy who gets the weapons he sells to a conqueror. (My source for that idea is Memory Alpha, I like reading the background details for every episode as I go.)

I think 1) is partially Berman's fault but is just a general failure, I think 2) is absolutely Berman's fault for failing to deliver the cool idea he was trying to write about in the first place.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Related to the same episode: I've always thought Matt Frewer, who played Berlinghoff Rasmussen, is underrated as an actor. Max Headroom was the best and worst thing that ever happened to his career -- it was his first big break, but so many people still just can't see him as anything else.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

(Chief watching the crewman disappear)

I had a dream early this morning that O'Brien got a cameo in the new season of Picard and the way they spitefully killed him off was that he blew up in a shuttle craft during some dumb action sequence and the explosion somehow triggered a wormhole that sent him into an evil hell dimension at just the right moment.

It was the most Miles O'Brien way he could have died, and I applaud my subconscious for concocting it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Why does everyone hate o'brien so much?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

wesleywillis posted:

We love O'Brien. The universe hates him though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

wesleywillis posted:

Because nobody wants to admit that the 72 County Solution fixed the problems of the UK and is why they speak British in France

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

wesleywillis posted:

Starfleet is full of scabs that's why

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Everyone posted:

So that's one reason the only enlisted crewman is O'Brien.

oh sure, eeeeeeveryone always lines up to polish the Chief's buffers, but nobody's ever got time for lowly Crewman Simon Tarsas

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Pascallion posted:

Remember Me?

The answer for enlisted crew on the Enterprise is "No"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nessus posted:

why they speak British in France

Things that look like shitposts: Picard S2 addresses this

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whenever I remember that show, all I see is a post-it note reading "wasted potential." What was it again?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Things that look like shitposts: Picard S2 addresses this

And it's actually a really good explanation, which is surprising given that it's Star Trek: Picard. The Nazis drove the Picard family out of France when they invaded and occupied the country in World War II, so they went to England as refugees, and then just kind of stayed in their adoptive homeland for the next century and picked up the British accent in the process before one branch of the family finally moved back to La Barre.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 21, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I thought it was super weird that there was even a chateau for the Picard's to return to but from what I understand there are loads of abandoned chateaus in France right now that no one wants because of the cost of upkeep and a bunch of other issues.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

8one6 posted:

I thought it was super weird that there was even a chateau for the Picard's to return to but from what I understand there are loads of abandoned chateaus in France right now that no one wants because of the cost of upkeep and a bunch of other issues.

There’s some very popular home Reno shows about random rich people (mostly American rich wives) buying abandoned chateaus and renovating them into their dream homes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Clan Picard was just playing the long game and waiting for the post-scarcity end of money before they came swooping back in and took their home back for free :hmmyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm going through TNG and got to the episode of where that kid wants to be like Data and lolling hard when Data critiques that kids work

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

And it's actually a really good explanation, which is surprising given that it's Star Trek: Picard. The Nazis drove the Picard family out of France when they invaded and occupied the country in World War II, so they went to England as refugees, and then just kind of stayed in their adoptive homeland for the next century and picked up the British accent in the process before one branch of the family finally moved back to La Barre.

I know I for one have the same accent as my great+ grandparents from 300 years ago. This is as stupid as the rest of Picard sounds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Winifred Madgers posted:

I know I for one have the same accent as my great+ grandparents from 300 years ago. This is as stupid as the rest of Picard sounds.

No, as in they moved back to France from England when Picard was a boy, I think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Winifred Madgers posted:

Also all of his weird fantasies about being a Victorian gentleman are because of his inherited trauma from being forced to live in England for a bit

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Colm Meaney just said he hoped the Bashir/O'Brian relationship would turn romantic.

Thoughts on that sort of radical left turn? Season 7 would have been different.

The full four-person O'Brian polycule would have been wild. Everybody loves Myles!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 21, 2022

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Colm Meaney just said he hoped the Bashir/O'Brian relationship would turn romantic.

Thoughts on that sort of radical left turn? Season 7 would have been different.

The full four-person O'Brian polycule would have been wild. Everybody loves Myles!

They didn't have the balls to have gay background characters, they definitely wouldn't have had the balls to have a married Miles leave Keiko for Bashir or bring Bashir into the relationship. But this has made me want a "Garak and O'Brien team up to rescue Bashir, and everyone knows why they're doing it but nobody says it outright" plot.

EDIT: Also, I saw that clip from whatever that was, and even though in the past few years there's been more and more debunking of Berman and his flunkies' claims that Avery Brooks was hard to work with, unapproachable, temperamental, diva-like, etc., it was still really nice to see them asked essentially "what working relationship really stuck with you?" and have both Meaney and Terry Farrell say "Avery" and talk about their respect for him and how much he helped Farrell.

disaster pastor fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 21, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I get the sense that Avery Brooks wasn't the kind to have a super-close personal casual friendship with most of the cast, but he was very dedicated to the craft and absolutely would've had a great working relationship in terms of acting/directing and mentoring and helping everyone around him become better in turn.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

People can be difficult for the boss and great for the coworkers. Usually someone who's really great to work with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He was probably annoying for the executives because I bet they'd be like OH gently caress IT GOOD ENOUGH LET'S GET IT IN THE CAN TICK TICK GUYS and he was like 'No let's to it properly' or like he'd argue with them about writers doing dumb character things. You know, the things good actors do.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I would love to hear Avery Brooks going on a long, passionate diatribe regarding thespian craft

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I feel like Avery is someone that genuine people get along with and love and that fake people in corporate world absolutely will never understand.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's jazz baby, the music is all the executives you DON'T give a gently caress about

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brawnfire posted:

I would love to hear Avery Brooks going on a long, passionate diatribe regarding thespian craft

Doesn't he teach acting at a university these days? I have to imagine his students get a hell of an education in that regard.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

MikeJF posted:

No, as in they moved back to France from England when Picard was a boy, I think.

Oh, the timeline in the post I was replying to didn't match up with that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No Dignity posted:

Also all of his weird fantasies about being a Victorian gentleman are because of his inherited trauma from being forced to live in England for a bit
To be fair, living in England is very traumatic

Winifred Madgers posted:

Dude's like what, 95 in Picard? Wasn't Bones like 125 in his cameo in TNG?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well a century after WW2 is like, almost the present, at this point. TNG is what, the 2370s?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

To be fair, living in England is very traumatic

Dude's like what, 95 in Picard? Wasn't Bones like 125 in his cameo in TNG?

147 I think

edit: I misremembered, 137

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Brawnfire posted:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Doesn't he teach acting at a university these days? I have to imagine his students get a hell of an education in that regard.

Rutgers University, in loving Jersey. I used to live in Princeton and thought of him every time I drove by.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Winifred Madgers posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think they actually really said when the Picards moved back to France from England, only that they did, eventually. If they put a date on it, it went right over my head because my god those back episodes of season 2 were just so bloated with stuff and yet also so inconsequential.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It arrived!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think they actually really said when the Picards moved back to France from England, only that they did, eventually. If they put a date on it, it went right over my head because my god those back episodes of season 2 were just so bloated with stuff and yet also so inconsequential.

I prefer the secondhand nitpicking myself.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I read somewhere (probably here) that Avery Brooks bonded with Cirroc Lofton as sort of a surrogate father/son pair since everyone spent so much time filming and Lofton needed a father figure for all those long filming days. I guess they're still pretty close. But I agree with this take:

Mike the TV posted:

I feel like Avery is someone that genuine people get along with and love and that fake people in corporate world absolutely will never understand.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1387753539359821827

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
gently caress that's cute.

I'd like to see cirroc lofton on prodigy.