Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

One of the last Medicae stations I visited had the servitor say something along the line of "Please, do not go. It is so lonely here", and that just caused my group to double-take for a second and just WTF at that.

Some of the medicae servitor's lines are pretty depressing. Another that I remember is "I can feel pieces of my mind slipping away".

Also keep in mind that there are radios with skulls all over the place and each of those is a servitor, meaning a human skull with a brain that's had everything not needed for being a radio lobotomized.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Floppychop posted:

Also keep in mind that there are radios with servitor skulls all over the place and each of those is a servitor, meaning a human skull with a brain that's had everything not needed for being a radio lobotomized.

Lol christ that's grim. My friend and I were checking those out the other night and wondering what those were.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right the Imperium basically had skynet happen millennia ago and their response is to make everything that would normally be an IoT device today be a person.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

there's 4 servitors being used in the barber shop section of the hub and i can't even imagine how that conversation went. at least it's better than being a glorified phone.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right the Imperium basically had skynet happen millennia ago and their response is to make everything that would normally be an IoT device today be a person.
Frankly, less dehumanizing than IoT somehow.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Imperium sucks! For every extremely rad and stupid thing like the Bell of Lost Souls you have a bunch of stuff that is not rad and sucks like *checks notes* ...we're gonna be here a while.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i did reflect on a joke I've made that the 40k skaven are just the imperium. mainly that its entirely, 100% true, you could swap them in and itd make very little fundamental difference except for more green rocks / cheeses

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i did reflect on a joke I've made that the 40k skaven are just the imperium. mainly that its entirely, 100% true, you could swap them in and itd make very little fundamental difference

Exterminatus the man-things, yes-yes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean, the Skaven at least have a functioning personal survival instinct. Most people in the Imperium seem so broken down that dying for the Emperor is all most anyone has.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Makes it funny with the Leagues of Votann sitting over there in the galactic core going "Ironkin are kin, simple as".

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Pigbottom posted:

Update confirmed on discord:

Its like 10pm in Stockholm now, Im guessing tomorrow at the earliest

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Unfortunately I don't think 40k can ever really thread the needle of dark, blunt, satire and epic scale heroic action. The imperium is monstrous but since its also the most popular faction it will have elements of heroism inside of it, and some people will always just go 'wow, cool bolter!'

There is some fun fiction from the perspective of like the alpha legion that openly talks about how monstrous and deleterious the imperium is to the galaxy as a whole but also thats the evil spiky marines talking, although a more reasonable strain of them.

Yup. Verhoeven put Doogie Howser in a *literal SS uniform* and people didn't understand it (Starship Troopers) was satire and not a cool oorah action flick; I'm not surprised "gamers" are impervious to even the bluntest of statements. I mean this is what you see in the city of the good guys:

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's to get around the outlawing of AI in response to that, letting them have stuff that clearly has some level of AI but including a human component so it's technically not pure machine Abominable Intelligence.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's Dune but everything is just Harkonnens running around.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah if you smash together Dune and Judge Dread you're a long way to "wut is dark tide", especially if you mostly knew 40k as the game with the space marines.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The developers did a very good job with character creation to push the point forward that the Imperium of Man is really a loving awful place to grow up in if you're low on the rungs.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 21, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd love to play a 40k game where you're a non Imperium human world/system and the Imperium is just as much a villain as the other races. The newly reimagined Voltan may do this very well, too.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BadOptics posted:

Yup. Verhoeven put Doogie Howser in a *literal SS uniform* and people didn't understand it (Starship Troopers) was satire and not a cool oorah action flick; I'm not surprised "gamers" are impervious to even the bluntest of statements.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Floppychop posted:

It's been rough.

A very vocal portion of the Battletech community lost their minds because a tank called the "Patton" is getting a release soon, but not the "Rommel". Note: they are the same tank, just the "Rommel" was a moniker used for a specific weapon loadout version of the Patton. They have always used the same model on the tabletop as well. So basically the new packs will have "Patton tank" instead of "Patton/Rommel tank" on the label.

There was also a meltdown that happened when Catalyst games didn't renew a writing contract with an author that has gone off the rails with white supremacist and lost cause poo poo.

40k does this too sometimes with the naming schemes and I just love the idea of someone explaining why it's an issue from someone in the Inner Sphere.

"No, see, it's named after an old German tank division commander and they don't like it because they're communist"

"What a german"

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Darktide's loading screen tooltips do a pretty good job of slamming you in the face with the 40k vibe. "Forgiveness is a crime punishable by death" is my personal fave

edit: Just saw a new favorite: "Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth"

Magitek fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 21, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Magitek posted:

Darktide's loading screen tooltips do a pretty good job of slamming you in the face with the 40k vibe. "Forgiveness is a crime punishable by death" is my personal fave

“The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal.”

thebaddies.wav

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd love to play a 40k game where you're a non Imperium human world/system and the Imperium is just as much a villain as the other races. The newly reimagined Voltan may do this very well, too.

Yeah, like if an AdMech exploratory fleet showed up today you'd barely be able to tell they're human beyond body shape. Like that one art piece in an early Tau codex showing their tribal ancestors meeting tech priests - the aliens are more "human" than the people with mechanical claws and tech dendrites sticking out of them attended by lobotomized servitors.

Edit: I feel like one of the Horus Heresy books tried to use this idea as a fake out once.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Zealot went up an order of magnitude in fun when the flamer and chainsword appeared in the shop at level 15.

What a fantastic game design to not have those super cool weapons available until I put a bunch of hours into the game, and instead have much less fun weapons available. I know when I start playing a new game I look forward to ah, earning the fun.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think it was very good, but this is a first person shooter where you're non imperium, and the imperium is the villains

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Zealot went up an order of magnitude in fun when the flamer and chainsword appeared in the shop at level 15.

What a fantastic game design to not have those super cool weapons available until I put a bunch of hours into the game, and instead have much less fun weapons available. I know when I start playing a new game I look forward to ah, earning the fun.

Yeah what's more is that regular swords and axes just seem worse than the high tier unlocks? I mean like the flamer is obviously situational but the melee options don't really feel like trade offs.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

The full story behind the statement was an affiliate tournament in spain where somebody showed up wearing sonnenrads and with an ss themed army, and when the other players declined to play with them the tournament organizers for some reason decided to count it as a full forfeit without considering extenuating circumstances. GW did damage control.

I hadn't heard this story, so I went looking for it:
https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/warhammer-40000-ninth-edition/news/warhammer-40k-gt-talavera-nazi-statement

Is the tournament organizer's explanation as bullshit as it sounds, or is that actually how it works in Spain?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mendrian posted:

Yeah what's more is that regular swords and axes just seem worse than the high tier unlocks? I mean like the flamer is obviously situational but the melee options don't really feel like trade offs.

This happens in all RPGs. Iron sword gets replaced by steel sword etc.

I'm sure the weapon variety will get tweaked too. Like if you find a knife that's crazy against single targets it may be an option for those plus specials missions.

JBP fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 21, 2022

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Flavahbeast posted:

Its like 10pm in Stockholm now, Im guessing tomorrow at the earliest

Darktide Comms • TweetShift:
@Interruption Service Update!
With your strength you protect me,
With my care I repair you,
With sacred oil I apprease you,
Be quiet, good spirits,
And accept that the patch is late, but still coming.

edit: but yeah, that can also still mean tomorrow though

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarktideComms/status/1594807771949662208?t=tvaG3WWzKYA_jTUAVLAMqQ&s=19

Efb

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Avasculous posted:

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/warhammer-40000-ninth-edition/news/warhammer-40k-gt-talavera-nazi-statement

Is the tournament organizer's explanation as bullshit as it sounds, or is that actually how it works in Spain?

quote:

“At this point we want to emphasize that in Spain it is not a crime to display Nazi symbols as long as it is not accompanied by criminal conduct,” the club told Baer. “Instead if the organization expels to this person for his deplorable ideas (Nazism), it is the organization that is committing a crime of ideological discrimination and it could perfectly denounce us and would have the law on its side. At that moment we find ourselves tied hand and foot.”

Lol. I know Spain had a not so brief relationship with Fascism, but I don't think it's been a protected political group that you can't bar from private events for a few decades now. I am not a Spaniard though.

Edit: Also lmao at equating kicking Nazis out of your game club because they make people uncomfortable with the Nazis take on ideological discrimination which was to ship you to a death camp.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 21, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i do like the loner psyker voice for being able to just go Get This: This loving Sucks while gesturing at everything about the imperium

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Was made aware that a special aspect of the Ogryn Grenadier Gauntlet is that its light melee attacks count as heavy attacks. Could have some interesting interactions with the various feats that only trigger on heavy attacks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pigbottom posted:

Darktide Comms • TweetShift:
@Interruption Service Update!
With your strength you protect me,
With my care I repair you,
With sacred oil I apprease you,
Be quiet, good spirits,
And accept that the patch is late, but still coming.

edit: but yeah, that can also still mean tomorrow though

Probably hangups in the packaging or upload to Steam plus staging it in the server infrastructure.

It's probably going to be coming in hot right in time for US prime time. Should be fine and not have a ton of deeply weird people who have a normal one about it.

Edit:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i do like the loner psyker voice for being able to just go Get This: This loving Sucks while gesturing at everything about the imperium

Undercut by them also being the wacky meme lord that everyone picks because he says the zany poo poo breaks the 4th wall and argues with the closed captioning.

The dreamer just being a complete and total solipsist unable to comprehend reality because it's just too cruel I think it's a more interesting take.

FWIW I generally like my French lady psyker though, the straight shooter, even despite her background being literally "was a psychic cop"

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 21, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/DarktideComms/status/1594816233555247104?t=xuZwJtJHgMRRSJZW0CbDJQ&s=19

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

Spain was a fascist state until 1975 when Franco died. It then quietly transitioned to a democracy. At least according to what the formerly Fascist Spanish state claims.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Was made aware that a special aspect of the Ogryn Grenadier Gauntlet is that its light melee attacks count as heavy attacks. Could have some interesting interactions with the various feats that only trigger on heavy attacks.

The vet sharpshooter knife has an interesting quirk like this too: when you use the alt attack (the left hand punch) the next attack is automatically a heavy attack (the reverse edge downwards stab) and it comes out way faster than a regular heavy attack.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah it's wierd, 40k started off as kinda funny and satirical (think some sort of mash up of red dwarf/early 2000ad stuff) and at some point fans just stopped noticing or caring about subversion and just went 'cool space fascists!'. VT kinda nailed the goofy 80s British tone but I'm guessing the style guide for 40k is all grim all dark all the time.

Thinking about it, whenever I get round to rolling a zealot they'll definitely have dreadlocks and be named Lister of smeg.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Got a boltgun on my zealot that gets crit the longer you aim down sights, really shreds elites and specials so I think my flamer is getting replaced for now. Game starts feeling better and better as you level up, I do think they should shift a few of the weapon unlocks down a tad just to get more variety in those early levels.

Also how often do the levels rotate or is the availability random and does quickplay reflect the selectable missions or can it pick ones that aren't showing up? We played for a couple hours this evening and never saw the torrent mission pop up, the one with the daemon in the water treatment plant, so I assume that one is not available at this particular time?

There was one I did a couple days ago that I played with randos, it had us doing auspex scans but outside in some streets and the objective was to "try and trick them into attacking another area" or something like that, it wasn't the scanning for plague samples in the apartment complex one, I can be sure of that but I haven't seen it pop up at all again and my friends didn't believe me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Magitek posted:

edit: Just saw a new favorite: "Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth"

"Innocence Proves Nothing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

There was one I did a couple days ago that I played with randos, it had us doing auspex scans but outside in some streets and the objective was to "try and trick them into attacking another area" or something like that, it wasn't the scanning for plague samples in the apartment complex one, I can be sure of that but I haven't seen it pop up at all again and my friends didn't believe me.

There was an outerhab map available on the first day but it was apparently causing (more) crashes so it got rotated out.