Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently Budweiser is going to take a 75m loss on beer sales and sue FIFA for it so it will be interesting to see what happens then, but yeah FIFA can’t and won’t do anything at this point, which is exactly why Qatar waited until the week before the start to start springing poo poo on them.

I have some real doubts that FIFA didn't know this was coming, I bet they knew and just "forgot" to tell their sponsors otherwise they'd create more panic, this way they only have to deal with Budweiser.

This is particularly nasty because Brazil was forced to sell beer when they hosted WC, this comes after Brazil having forbidden the sale of alcohol inside stadiums due to rampant drunken violence. FIFA sure as hell didn't bend then, but now surprisingly it's not such a big deal anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blue footed boobie posted:

Apparently Budweiser is going to take a 75m loss on beer sales and sue FIFA for it so it will be interesting to see what happens then, but yeah FIFA can’t and won’t do anything at this point, which is exactly why Qatar waited until the week before the start to start springing poo poo on them.

They'll make up that 75m loss during American Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4808225/world-cup-chaos-englandus-fans-face-ticket-issues

What you wanted to actually get in and watch the matches with the tickets you bought? Yeah right

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/NatashaTierney/status/1594745449210327042

bad

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
didn't they send that thing out specifically saying that rainbow stuff was okay?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ilmucche posted:

didn't they send that thing out specifically saying that rainbow stuff was okay?

They said that about beer and air conditioning too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

hang on are you telling me that FIFA went back on their word?

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1594757542823198720

lol

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Love how the Emir Tamind is gay and it's just an open secret he goes 12 miles off shore to be gay and no one gives a gently caress.

p.s. I'm not even joking

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tai posted:

Love how the Emir Tamind is gay and it's just an open secret he goes 12 miles off shore to be gay and no one gives a gently caress.

p.s. I'm not even joking

Why go off shore. What’s the point of having a palace if you can’t do decadent poo poo by your national standards but everyone looks the other way

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

p.s. I'm not even joking

I'm sorry, could you please rephrase that without the word 'love'? Your statement as it stands it not very world-cup-friendly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tai posted:

p.s. I'm not even joking

I want to believe. I want to lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The L slur is now banned in TRP.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the sex ghost posted:

Redpillers will not hear of the word

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I want to believe. I want to lol

Good friend of mine worked as one of the engineers on one of his yachts. Most thursday to saturday evening about 8-10 guys would come on. Spear fish during the day and shag at night and party. This was before he became Emir so maybe he doesn't now but I dobut it.

Alan Smithee posted:

Why go off shore. What’s the point of having a palace if you can’t do decadent poo poo by your national standards but everyone looks the other way

No religious law at sea

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lmao what

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tai posted:

Good friend of mine worked as one of the engineers on one of his yachts. Most thursday to saturday evening about 8-10 guys would come on. Spear fish during the day and shag at night and party. This was before he became Emir so maybe he doesn't now but I dobut it.

No religious law at sea

That sounds like a really nice day out if you're into man-love tbh

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress FIFA, gently caress the World cup

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Harald posted:

gently caress FIFA, gently caress the World cup

Only heterosexually, mind

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are they gonna go round checking the inside collars of the players before every game?

Are they going to card anyone who makes a heart shape with their hands when they score?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

Are they gonna go round checking the inside collars of the players before every game?

Are they going to card anyone who makes a heart shape with their hands when they score?

They literally killed thousands of migrant workers so ... sure I guess.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Welcome to Qatar: where the laws are made up and the points don't matter!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wrings hands "its all very murky"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tai posted:

p.s. I'm not even joking

He’s the absolute ruler. Why bother? The laws are just what he says they are

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Religious laws are a bit different over there and are taken quite seriously. It's similar to say the Iranian president is the ruler but the Ayotollah(sp) can trump him I think if he breaks religious laws.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

thats how you get palace coup'd

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

Leeds?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
No! We all l*** Leeds

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Big fan of the Tomorrowland logo being the O

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Big fan of the Tomorrowland logo being the O

maybe they can use that to argue that it doesn't actually say L*VE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If only Belgium’s kit was made by a company that also sponsors FIFA, you’d imagine there’d be some kind of channel of communication there.

Huh, wait.

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
Is it typical to have so many empty seats at these group matches? Do they still have a lot of hotel rooms open? I know they built those tent cities anticipating no hotels but the stadiums are like 25% empty

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

BigSexy posted:

Is it typical to have so many empty seats at these group matches? Do they still have a lot of hotel rooms open? I know they built those tent cities anticipating no hotels but the stadiums are like 25% empty
lol no the corporate bigwig seats are sometimes empty but that’s it

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

BigSexy posted:

I think you’ll find the stadiums have been too full
https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/1594795201880821760?s=20&t=gjIOEvuw7FmxqrxT7yA0UQ

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Usually the world cup is awarded to a country or countries with an order of magnitude greater population than the number of tickets, and you can sell cheap tickets to the general public to fill seats for matches with low travelling support.

a) travelling support is even worse than anticipated
b) full capacity for the tournament is about 3.3m, which is about 500k more than the entire population and 3m more than the number of actual Qatari citizens

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The mascot is actually a representation of all the ghost fans.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
What are the chances of FIFA getting some blowback for this post world cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tai posted:

What are the chances of FIFA getting some blowback for this post world cup?

i would guess they'll get sued by budweiser, but the qatari government has already put together a slush fund to pay it off. other than that, stone nothing because they're fifa. who's going to hold them to account?