Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That seems like a reasonable enough connection to make but pigeonholing anything with the skeletal animation as low-effort flash is just being intellectually lazy. Not a fan of painting with such a broad brush. But you, dearest reader of posts of mine, you are free to hate whatever you want and I am free to deride you for it. Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
WRONG THREAD!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

personally i like to keep my irrational and stupid hatred to things that dont matter even a little like ketchup cause gently caress ketchup any situation where youd use it would be better served by barbeque sauce

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

and boston i think we can all agree gently caress boston

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Nah Boston city hall is sick

Edit: I mean look at this poo poo, control 2 should be set there

Has anyone played Entropy Centre and if so how is it? I think veeg posted a trailer for it a month or two ago and I thought it looked interesting and reminded me of Portal (it mightve been another puzzle game with a similar look tho, I can’t remember exactly)

imhotep fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 21, 2022

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arist posted:

Pentiment rules

Grobian is my little gremlin spirit-animal.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

yeah thats a cool building but have you ever met a masshole its just not worth it

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

It's me, I'm the guy with the irrational hatred of all games that have that nailed paper joints aesthetic. They're all buggy low budget garbage even when they get me with the art, the animation is the first red flag, the ugliest, and usually the one always correct, like in that something Vambrace Darkest Dungeon looking thing, a game so lovely and buggy you can wander straight into chapter 7 of the game by searching a random wall. I found this out after the tutorial crashed, then got stuck in a form of no progression. Third time was the charm.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a lot of people got into fights with kids wearing invader zim tshirts on the playground in middle school and now have war flashbacks when they see artwork that has thick outlines

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Casnorf posted:

yeah thats a cool building but have you ever met a masshole its just not worth it

I grew up in Massachusetts and yeah it’s really not. The most progressive place with weird backwards rear end people, it makes no sense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just got Skellige'd by God of War Ragnarok and I'm kinda just in awe.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I'm about 15 hours into Ragnarok, just finished the first Alfheim story quest and the flying jellyfish side quest, and I am little disappointed in how similar this game is to its predecessor. Graphics, gameplay, voice acting, etc. are all top-notch but not much about it feels new or innovative. Not sure what I expected, though. Still having a really good time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The game doesn't get super "innovative" per say but by the midpoint it's firmly hit its stride. I found the beginning a bit slow and cumbersome. By the midpoint it was hummin'. I believe I'm at late game now and it's doing fun stuff with combat encounters (as well as some bullshit too, I have to say - but not enough to spoil it).

There are some parts that are pretty different from the original and in a game this long I appreciated that variety.

Largely it's very much a bunch of "horizontal" improvements and a few key "vertical" ones - if that makes sense.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's the same thing that happened with the original God of War 2. It's more or less the same engine, same dev toolkit, and same hardware platform, so the studio can build directly on what they learned from the first one and put way more ambition and variety into the scenario design. The result is way broader but don't expect fundamental changes

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No complaints from me, GoW 2018 had really good and fresh core gameplay with some rough edges so I don't mind a sequel that's mostly tuning and polish. And sticking with what they had allowed the team to go overboard on content. Right call for the project IMO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Casnorf posted:

I have a first printing (blue) and a later hardcover (full color) of House of Leaves. Funfax! The first printing mentions a full-color hardcover version, but that's a lie as it did not actually exist until much later. What an experience. I swear there was (red) copies when I first bought the book but now in my dusty memory I genuinely have no idea.

I had a blue copy in 2003, I made it 100 pages into the thing and then gave it to a girl in art 102 who was a big fan of the book. I think the next book I read was Valis, which was equally a struggle though I was on drugs at the time and reading theory (and also failing whatever math class) so my mind was pretty hosed to begin with. Not my happiest moment!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I was kinda meh on Ragnarok until the mid point but things have been getting better and better since. I’m in the post-story part and everything that is not backtracking has been at least on par with the main story in terms of quality and relevance to the characters. Currently like another poster above I’ve discovered a whole new area (that I think is available before the very end of story, actually?) that feels like a hefty DLC, it’s pretty insane.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Augus posted:

a lot of people got into fights with kids wearing invader zim tshirts on the playground in middle school and now have war flashbacks when they see artwork that has thick outlines

Oddly specific this

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Casnorf posted:

That seems like a reasonable enough connection to make but pigeonholing anything with the skeletal animation as low-effort flash is just being intellectually lazy. Not a fan of painting with such a broad brush. But you, dearest reader of posts of mine, you are free to hate whatever you want and I am free to deride you for it. Yay!

Speaking of skeletal animations, Rumble Fish and the old Gundam fighting games deserve modern ports, dammit. Sure, Rumble Fish 2 got a port, but where’s the rest of them?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Checking some review thumbnails out...

I guess its opposite day in austrailia for thread favorite reviewer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I loving love YouTube thumbnails

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
GoW was already one of my favorite games so Ragnarok being more of the same but more polished and refined is not really an issue. They did a really nice job with the lighting considering there isn't any raytracing implementation. Enemy variety is a lot better too. The Valkyries were a bit more exciting to fight in GoW 1, also no stupid Niflheim poison gas in Ragnarok

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Evil West looks cool as Hell and I hope it’s good.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Evil West looks cool as Hell and I hope it’s good.

Hell yeah; it looks like the best kind of dumb

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Extremely big 2000s action horror shooter energy in that mfer and I’m down

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rental Sting posted:

I'm about 15 hours into Ragnarok, just finished the first Alfheim story quest and the flying jellyfish side quest, and I am little disappointed in how similar this game is to its predecessor. Graphics, gameplay, voice acting, etc. are all top-notch but not much about it feels new or innovative. Not sure what I expected, though. Still having a really good time.

I would love anyone who's underwhelmed by a game to have an idea of what they wanted instead.

I saw trailers and noticed that it did not become a tower defense or RTS game the second a centaur started trying to break Kratos' head with one of it's hooves, it's not like this is Sonic or a Platinum Games developed thing or something.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I would love anyone who's underwhelmed by a game to have an idea of what they wanted instead.

I saw trailers and noticed that it did not become a tower defense or RTS game the second a centaur started trying to break Kratos' head with one of it's hooves, it's not like this is Sonic or a Platinum Games developed thing or something.

Yikes! I feel like someone could be fully justified just to say that a game didn’t feel innovative. And almost by definition, innovation is hard to come up with on the spot, so I don’t blame them for not having a game proposal ready with innovative alternatives!!!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ragnarok is very much mostly “more GoW18” and that’ll mean different things to different people.

I liked it, got the plat and everything. It had some stuff I didn’t 100% dig but for the most part it was exactly what I expected it to be.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just beat a mini-boss and Kratos didn't immediately shank them, gimme my money back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

thank you thiccabod this gave me a HUGE laugh after all the posts before it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

I just beat a mini-boss and Kratos didn't immediately shank them, gimme my money back.

use more stun next time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I liked how the first time you bump into one of the infinitely reused Troll boss enemies from GoW18 you crash a little train into them and immediately shank them in the throat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I found a fightable one and was kinda mad about it ngl

There are also petrified ones all over the world, I’m almost afraid to ask if they ever wake up

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i do agree with whoever said that jumping up walls with the blades felt weird, the speed of the animation feels like it's way too fast at the beginning and then it slows down in a weird way when you approach the ledge, then you kind of hop on it in what seems like an awkward arc. horizon at least has a realistic looking trajectory and speed to the grapple mechanic, but i also agree that it feels bad that it slows down at the end. it feels like it works by pulling you to the ledge with the least amount of strength to get you to the ledge, so you start to slow down when you reach the top, but it would feel much better if it propelled you a little bit past it so you maintain the momentum and can immediately continue running as soon as you land at what feels like a comparable speed to the grapple.

Sekiro has the best feeling grappling hook, and developers should copy it, and it still slows you down a bit, it just slows you down at the start, but for whatever reason it just feels so much more satisfying and the weight and momentum feels right and it probably helps that it also has really incredible animations that probably do a lot of the work that makes it feel good to use. And I have no idea if this is actually the case, but it feels like a much more organic, involved gameplay system with actual physics and variables involved even though it might only really have as much as god of war's grappling hook, but in god of war it always feels like you're entering a mini cutscene whenever you press the button to grapple because of the weird speed and animation uncanniness. there's a few other actions like jumping off ledges which also feels like a sudden change in momentum and speed, and there seems to be an exaggerated arc to your jumps which makes it feel weirdly samey in a way that i don't notice in other games, and again, it also feels like you're entering a mini cutscene rather than "actually doing it". solar ash's grapple is also good because it behaves similarly to sekiro's. i guess spider man is really the actual best game with a 'grappling hook', but obviously that's not really a reasonable comparison.
also these are just minor nitpicks that kind of bugged me because when i heard there was going to be a grappling mechanic i thought you'd be able to chain grapples and grapple into attacks on to or up to enemies, it just feels like the same sort of movement that you do when you climb the walls, except with a different animation.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 22, 2022

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

History Comes Inside! posted:

I liked how the first time you bump into one of the infinitely reused Troll boss enemies from GoW18 you crash a little train into them and immediately shank them in the throat.

Make sure to read the codex to find out how Kratos feels about this!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Pennfalath posted:

Make sure to read the codex to find out how Kratos feels about this!

lol yeah i quoted it earlier in the thread, but it was probably the funniest thing the in the game imo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also agree about the blades jump. Like you badassly jump up and grapple…..to the ledge where you then slowly pull yourself up. It’s already unrealistic, just have you immediately go up the ledge witj the sheer power of your grapple

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

E's getting old

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He can do slick swing-jump moves with the spear though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012