Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The plural of "magnum opus" is "magna opera".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

Ty I was trying to decline that and frowning

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Grevling posted:

Congrats on the magnum "opi" (OP)

the plural of opus in latin is opera, not that anyone should care in the slightest

ultrafilter posted:

Neat! Thanks!
Latin is cool. I should review it again sometime; I don't remember a lot of it.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't believe so, since it was in late-2000 and there's no archive that goes back that far.
The earliest that the GBS archive goes back is 2002.

That's a shame, I didn't realize some of SA's history is permanently lost. Aside from all the images and anything from Twitter.

The Bananana posted:

Christ, What An rear end in a top hat

It's okay, I think they're just being tsundere. I appreciate them dropping by and saying hello in their own unique way.

tmm3k posted:

Yeah it's neat to discover new subforums, and these threads have been great efforts to engage in those subforums. I really appreciate the time that Shadow0 is putting into this.

Thanks! It's been... quite a lot of time... At least the LP is finally finished, but now I need to edit the video. And I'd like to make a least one update post on my project.log thread.
I only have part of one weekend left, and then it's vacation time, where I'll be pretty busy and/or traveling. Hopefully it all works out with some planning.
All the subforums have been nice though, so I'm having fun.

Ubersandwich posted:

I'm in the same boat, or 'balloon' as it were. I'm learning about forums I never knew we had.

🎈

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 15, 2022

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Grevling posted:

Congrats on the magnum "opi" (OP)

the plural of opus in latin is opera, not that anyone should care in the slightest

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

That's a shame, I didn't realize some of SA's history is permanently lost. Aside from all the images and anything from Twitter.
Well, for all I know maybe someone preserved it like the 9/11 thread, but if so I haven't been able to find it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Great pet names

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Does anyone still care about this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i do

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Shadow0 posted:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, for all I know maybe someone preserved it like the 9/11 thread, but if so I haven't been able to find it.

Hello, did you call me, your local archivist?

Dump (link expires in one week). It's not anywhere complete, but it's got some of it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Saoshyant posted:

Hello, did you call me, your local archivist?

Dump (link expires in one week). It's not anywhere complete, but it's got some of it.

This is interesting. How did you get your hands on this? It's a shame it's only the first page of the thread.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

This is interesting. How did you get your hands on this? It's a shame it's only the first page of the thread.

It's part of an archive of another archive someone posted somewhere here a while ago labeled "sa_forums_history.rar". Includes a bunch of "landmark" threads from the very oldest history.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

My favorite parts of that ancient relic:

1) every poster has their IP address exposed next to their post (it sure was a different time!)
2) the forum list, so tiny back then (around the forums in 5 days!), and of course the ever important DPPH
3) powered by "Infopop Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.45c" -- the what now?? No wonder all of this period was lost

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What did DPPH stand for?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh, right - I actually posted in the thread.
I apologize, my memory's absolutely useless after chemo like 6 years ago. :(

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What did DPPH stand for?
Check out its SAclopedia entry.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What did DPPH stand for?

Well, before D&D, there was a forum called "Don't Post Politics Here", but no one heed that advice and so a lot of politics were posted there. It was horrible. Very image heavy forum for some reason.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What did DPPH stand for?

Double Penetration Political House

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Guns in space

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Unique paintball weapons

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol it looks like yours is the first post in that whole subforum since october 31st
I didn't think there was a sub as dead as PitR but I was wrong!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
We posted in The Enlcosed Pool Area more regularly than that when it was shut down lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shadow is in the depths of SA at this point this thing is more of a journey to the center of the earth

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

lol it looks like yours is the first post in that whole subforum since october 31st
I didn't think there was a sub as dead as PitR but I was wrong!

Cyrano4747 posted:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO is the other mod here in TPP, and you can PM him or reach him via email at <Grindcore will put this in later>.

No rush I guess

Tbf, I think the SA's Front Page Discussion subforum is more dead. But I guess it has good reason to be so quiet.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! What drug tastes the best?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
📝 Travel update:

It's been a while since my last update.

TFLC is a lot of self-posting. It will probably be a while before I see many more posts from other users. For now, I'll just keep at it. It's a really nice subforum for anyone looking to make improvements to their health or just get really buff.

I believe TGO is one of the newer one subforums. It is neither extremely popular nor extremely quiet, with a mix of megathreads and smaller threads. There's some really nice content here. Overall, it's a really nice place.

I had heard once somewhere that GWS was dead or dying, however there appears to still be quite some posting going on here though. My thread is suffering a bit, even with the offers of prizes, but that may be from a lack of participation on my part. Unfortunately, I haven't had time yet to update it with something substantial.
There are a lot of competition threads here, which I would love to compete in at some point. There are also quite a few megathreads, but it's always easy to find something new to post here. I believe they also maintain their own wiki of recipes. This is a valuable subforum to anyone who enjoys food, which I believe is most people!

I am not sure I understand AI culture. I'm not sure what prompted it, but the first post in my thread began some "car game". This resulted in a lot of activity, but I'm not sure whether I can call my thread a success or not, haha. They seem like fine folk though.
It was also here that I ran into the Traveling BYOB Spaceship! I dropped by and said hello!

CA is much quieter and calmer than its parent subforum. There are fewer and smaller threads here, perhaps owing to its more niche topics. Still, the posters here are very passionate about their hobbies.

I actually had business in HCaH, so I was glad to arrive here. This is another subforum with a wide, wide range of megathreads. There's some really excellent knowledge to be had here, and some very helpful goons. There wasn't a huge reaction to my thread. I theorize this is more of a place where goons head directly to the megathread they need rather than browse the list of threads. I think this is a bit of a shame (if true) because there are some interesting topics here that you might not know yet you'd find interesting!

PI's posters have a reputation (I believe) for being a bit "crazy", whatever that means. I suppose with something as important as a live animal and a situation where that animal very much depends on someone, it's probably no surprise people can probably get very tense about things here. The range of topics is a bit more restrictive here, and I think the megathreads cover most things already. I found my own idea for a thread had already been covered by a megathread, so I was happy I was able to come up with something else. Still, it's a nice place to browse, especially if you are in need of photographs of animals.

TFR is a fun place. I was surprised how well my thread went. A lot of posters dropped by to say funny things. There are actually quite a lot of threads here, despite arguably a pretty narrow topic. It seems like a very active community. There are also a lot of threads in support of minority groups. It seems like a very lovely subforum.

TPP is extremely quiet. For the first time ever, I saw a subforum with not even one page of threads. The rules thread wasn't even completed, despite being made 3 years ago. It seems TPP is also a really new subforum, likely made when the rule thread was about 3 years ago. I often looked around and found only one other poster looking at the threads with me. I had not seen such a lack of goons in a long time. My own thread has but one response, but sits at the top of the page.
I think it has good reason to exist as its own subforum, but I wonder what they can do to drive up activity. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to convince people to post about these topics without experiencing them, but it is extremely difficult to convince people to go out and experience these things. Oh well, for those that enjoy it, it is there for them.

I finally arrived in TCC. I finally made a thread in TCC.
When I first thought to myself, before I had thought of this adventure, "What would be the last subforum I would ever post in?" My first thought was TCC. But then I quickly had an idea for a thread. The thread I posted has indeed waited a very long time now to be posted. Not to say that the waiting made it any better, haha. Still, this feels like an important milestone on my journey, at least to me.
TCC is a very unique subforum. At the very least I can say, it's a good place to go if you want to hear interesting stories.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 24, 2022

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've asked about encouraging more new threads in TPP by closing the ancient megathreads (which got moved there from TFR when TPP first opened), but they are apparently kind of their own sub-sub-communities at this point. I really liked the idea at first because airguns are great but giving it a dedicated forum seems like it just made it harder for people to notice it. Maybe stick something in an announcement now that other forumswide stuff has calmed down a bit? I dunno.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shadow0 posted:

TPP is extremely quiet.

My own thread has but one response, but sits at the top of the page.

So that’s why people aren’t eating up my idea of a paintball flamethrower

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! JROTC

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was doing my best to use a different tag for each thread, but only now did I realize I used the tag twice. :negative: Stupid! :doh:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I was doing my best to use a different tag for each thread, but only now did I realize I used the tag twice. :negative: Stupid! :doh:

You could reach out to a mod to ask them to change it for you :)

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

On the positive side, I reckon few people would give a rat's rear end about tags generally.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Geemer posted:

You could reach out to a mod to ask them to change it for you :)

i think feeling dumb about using the stupid tag is p harmonious so i will not be changing it namaste

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

sebmojo posted:

i think feeling dumb about using the stupid tag is p harmonious so i will not be changing it namaste

Harsh, but fair.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Haha, that's how I felt too.
That said, picking a tag is the best part of making a thread! I'm seeing a lot of tags for the first time. I've really enjoyed seeing the different selections of tags each subforum offers.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Linguist barriers to inclusion

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, now that I think about it, a thread about left-handed discrimination would have probably been an even better idea. I have a lot to complain about! Oh well, future thread...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
double-post! you have the power

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
on this page alone he has double and triple posted

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

on this page alone he has double and triple posted

*mills lane voice*

i'll allow it

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! Text-to-Pokemon: Gotta generate 'em all!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
📝 Travel update:

As I said before, TCC is an interesting place. There are a lot of extremely knowledgeable goons here, for better or for worse. It's worth a visit at least once in your posting career, if only to see the extremely detailed and beautiful OPs.

IVFW is both a really exclusive club and a very welcoming one. It is a subforum that caters to people who have had very specific career choices, but it's also somewhere that seems to allow, or even encourage, off-topic threads. I was pleasantly surprised my own thread was so well-received. I really wonder what else I could have posted if not for that very specific life experience.
But as I said, there's a lot to enjoy here; it is somewhat of a microcosm of the greater forums around it, so I encourage goons to drop by and see some of the threads here.

TMR is a surprisingly quiet subforum. It's a bit more of a serious subforum than other places. It's a great place if you want to educate yourself and hear people's experiences. I find goons are often level-headed and reasonable people, so it's probably a great place for these kinds of discussions.
Unfortunately, my own thread has so far attracted zero posters, so I can only comment on what I observed in other threads.

It was then that I finally left the massive continent of Discussion and entered The Finer Arts.

I began my journey in IZ. But I leave that for the next travel update.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New thread is up! The Light Side of the Force