Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Why did Bontrager do the thing that everyone else also does? HARUMPH!! Zounds!!

As it turns out, bars come in all different kinds of shapes/bends.

The Bontragers are a compact curve shape and even have a straight section on the end of the drops like all my other bars, feels like they just put the aero blades at the wrong angle.

There’s no such problem with Zipp, Pro, FSA, Specialized or Deda bars of the same type.

There are different shaped drops sure, but compact bars are pretty standard and setting the drops up level with the ground is the starting point for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i often wonder why there seems to be an age cap on having those handlebar tassles. i want streams of ribbon following me as i go to the grocery store, but i'm in my twenties and society is holding me back.

i've played nimblebit games for over a decade now and i'm like, totally starstruck that we are posting in the same bike thread lmao

Thank you for reminding the both of us how old we are! :corsair:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

wooger posted:

There are different shaped drops sure, but compact bars are pretty standard and setting the drops up level with the ground is the starting point for most people.

Drops level with the ground seems like the wrong starting point, literally. I assume that logic persists from when classic bars were the norm along with other bad advice like horizontal stems.

Get the hoods where you want them and let the drops end land at 15° or whatever. Your arm probably doesn't come down to the drops at 90° :shrug:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Love my super deep drops on my road bike. When you are that deep in the drops you know it's go time.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
After hitting a few cycling goals this year, I'm looking for an upgrade from my stock wheels (Shimano RS 171, not very good!) to something nicer. Came across this deal https://www.bike24.com/p2597681.html and was wondering if it would be a good fit. I ride mostly flat terrain, sometimes a bit windy - not sure if 50mm is too deep already?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Finally going to get some sort of indoor cycling setup as a more serious alternative to FTP training on our Peloton, which my wife and I both use. Some quick questions:

1. Any thoughts on the Kickr Core, on sale for $699 vs the Kickr V5 for $799? Seems like the V6 isn't really worth the extra cash over the V5.
2. Wild card option: the Kickr Bike is on sale for $1999, and part of me is considering just going for it, if only to save my Tarmac from indoor riding, but I should probably make absolutely sure I'm actually going to be in to TR/Zwift as much as I think I am.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I personally think the Power Zone classes on Peloton are great. There are lots of reasons to want a different setup, but I don't think "more serious" is one of them.

That said, if you want to play around with Zwift and TR, and have power meter pedals, you can put those on your Peloton bike and likely use either of those apps.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

I personally think the Power Zone classes on Peloton are great. There are lots of reasons to want a different setup, but I don't think "more serious" is one of them.

That said, if you want to play around with Zwift and TR, and have power meter pedals, you can put those on your Peloton bike and likely use either of those apps.

Oh yeah, they're fantastic. The reasons I want to at least buy a trainer are to:

1. Increase the accuracy of my FTP intervals between indoors and outdoors. We have an original Peloton bike and at some point, we'll upgrade to the one with the better powermeter.
2. Give training with TR a shot. I'm lazy and do a bad job of planning training cycles/difficult workouts over a month. My understanding is that TR takes that away from me and does periodization for me.
3. It's cold, I don't feel like running, and some mornings my wife is on the Peloton and we both have to be at work early.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Finally going to get some sort of indoor cycling setup as a more serious alternative to FTP training on our Peloton, which my wife and I both use. Some quick questions:

1. Any thoughts on the Kickr Core, on sale for $699 vs the Kickr V5 for $799? Seems like the V6 isn't really worth the extra cash over the V5.
2. Wild card option: the Kickr Bike is on sale for $1999, and part of me is considering just going for it, if only to save my Tarmac from indoor riding, but I should probably make absolutely sure I'm actually going to be in to TR/Zwift as much as I think I am.

SB20 for cheaper than the Kickr bike. Easy.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sweat poteto posted:

Drops level with the ground seems like the wrong starting point, literally. I assume that logic persists from when classic bars were the norm along with other bad advice like horizontal stems.

Get the hoods where you want them and let the drops end land at 15° or whatever. Your arm probably doesn't come down to the drops at 90° :shrug:

The hoods can move around on the bars though. And for fore-aft reach and height you should be changing stems and spacers, not rotating the bar.

Every road bike I’ve ridden has the drops level with the ground, feels right. And again, rotating the bars forward is changing the reach to the drops and shortening it on the hoods.

dema posted:

The peloton won’t automatically change the resistance to whatever the trainer app is asking for, very different experience.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Are there any non-bicycle exercises you guys recommend for the coming winter? I have a pair of 45 lb dumbbells for doing some squats when it rains or it's too windy and I don't want to go out just to keep my legs from going crazy

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

SB20 for cheaper than the Kickr bike. Easy.

Do this. A bunch of us have them. I’d wait to see if they do a BF special, you might get a free mat or something.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Mauser posted:

Are there any non-bicycle exercises you guys recommend for the coming winter? I have a pair of 45 lb dumbbells for doing some squats when it rains or it's too windy and I don't want to go out just to keep my legs from going crazy
Trunk Twists? Specifically if you're looking to incorporate a dumbbell in to the exercises, I guess.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LordOfThePants posted:

Do this. A bunch of us have them. I’d wait to see if they do a BF special, you might get a free mat or something.

Why the sb20 over the kickr, especially for essentially the same price?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mauser posted:

Deadlifts, bent-over row, and good mornings in addition to your squats.
While you're at it, might as well add overhead press and chest press.

Some kind of power yoga is always good too.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mauser posted:

Climbing stairs 2 at a time is good for building seated power allegedly.

A kettlebell or two can give you an excellent workout quickly, build some muscle and takes up nearly no space when you’re not using it. Even just swings and Turkish getups will be transformative.

Worth keeping up with or starting yoga or some similar core programme that’ll also trick you into doing planks and stretching regularly.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Do you have one hamstring that feels a lot tighter than the other? One side of your obliques? Do you find one hip feels tighter at the top of the pedal stroke or have one that feels like it “folds in” more easily at the top of the stroke almost feeling like you’re sucking in your gut, but lower and only on one side? A lot of these things can go back not to fit but to l/r side imbalances both in leg strength and/or core strength. It's reasonably likely that it's in part due to your body having developed asymmetrically after your tendon injury.

It's definitely along these lines. I find it hard to explain the difference in how my hamstrings feel, but my right leg does hit my upper body on the upstroke when riding in the drops for instance, whereas the left doesn't. I've since started doing mobility exercises, but my turbo stopped working last night before I could really conclude anything. Luckily, I'm pretty sure it's just the power supply that's faulty, so I'm hoping to try again tonight. Thanks!

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Why the sb20 over the kickr, especially for essentially the same price?

I read a lot of feedback on the Kickr where people had trouble with them and there was essentially zero support from Wahoo. There’s a SB20 owners group on FB that I watched for a while before I bought one and complaints like that were relatively rare. I think the price difference was quite a bit more when I bought my sb20 too.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Mauser posted:

Man makers. Nice full body workout. I go slow on the row part to get extra core work. And to keep from getting totally gassed.

You'll probably want to start with less than 45s though. I think I warmup with 15s and then switch to 30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-6EPLtSLwU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Turkish get-ups

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

:justplank:

I mean, don't just plank, all that other stuff sounds great, too, but I've gotta stick to my brand.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Thanksgiving might be the best day for riding? At least 80% less cars on the road than a typical day

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Driving up the road a bit to go to my mom's place and you got fewer drivers, but those on the road are 110% crazier. Lots of money going to all types of cameras (gently caress 'em)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yep the best cycling roads see an uptick in supercars and gofast bikes on pretty much any holiday. Got buzzed real good on hwy9 today.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
It is cold as gently caress and I still haven't bought winter boots. For riding between 32f and 45f, is it worth getting boots? Are over shoes alright? What do ya'll recommend? I am not commuting here, so no do-or-die rain/snow riders. I just want warm toes which I didn't have at 39f with summer shoes.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For 0C I'm fine with thick shoe covers and wool socks when commuting. The boots only come out once it gets below -10C or so.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I think boots are worth the price if you'll do lots of riding in their temp ranges. If you were fine above 39f, but started to get cold below then something like a Ragnarok would probably work for you. Sadly, everyone deals with the cold differently so there's no definite answers until you try things out for yourself. If you're too cold in a Ragnarok then taking the step up to a Wolvhammer would be the route to take. I only speak in 45Nrth terms, but there are other brands that have similar offerings.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I’d just get shoe covers if you’re not consistently getting down near freezing
Possibly depends what shoes you have though

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone seen any deals on cycling helmets?

Edit: under $150, MIPS preferred but not required. Coming from a giro where adjusting the straps is a pain.

nwin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 26, 2022

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nwin posted:

Edit: under $150, MIPS preferred but not required. Coming from a giro where adjusting the straps is a pain.

In the USA?

I don't know about specific discounts, but I think the Bell Formula is around $100 normally and generally people have said good things about them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Shastahanshah posted:

In the USA?

I don't know about specific discounts, but I think the Bell Formula is around $100 normally and generally people have said good things about them.

Yeah sorry US.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FYI bell and giro are the same company so if you dislike one you may not like the other either

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Clark Nova posted:

FYI bell and giro are the same company so if you dislike one you may not like the other either

drat, good to know-thanks.

My giro was fine vent-wise, but I didn’t like not having holes in the right spots to put my sunglasses when not using them.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

drat, good to know-thanks.

My giro was fine vent-wise, but I didn’t like not having holes in the right spots to put my sunglasses when not using them.

With my Giro Eclipse, the stems go in a groove with only the very tips going into a vent. I like it a lot.

Like Clark Nova said, Bell operates out of the same office as Giro. Their hardware is similar, but there are slight differences. Bell has a slightly rounder fit too.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
yall got any favorites for winter athleisure-y sweatpants for biking in? i probably won't be riding on many sub-freezing days but would like something for 32-45F. would like something with zippy pockets so my phone doesn't fall out, but otherwise not picky. i do some ~20 mile rides regularly but at pretty slow paces, so just want something that can keep me warm without becoming a sweatbox (i tried to wear some uniqlo heattech pants i've had for a while and holy poo poo my legs were basically inside a sauna by the end of a half hour ride)

normally i'd just look to adidas or nike for this sorta stuff but weirdly they don't have anything winter-y with zip pockets (i loved the adidas tiro soccer pants for riding in this summer...)

e: probably helpful here: 5'11" relatively slim dude (have not developed sick biking calves yet)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 27, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

abraham linksys posted:

e: probably helpful here: 5'11" relatively slim dude (have not developed sick biking calves yet)

I've been racing for 4 years and have yet to develop sick biking calves.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

abraham linksys posted:

yall got any favorites for winter athleisure-y sweatpants for biking in? i probably won't be riding on many sub-freezing days but would like something for 32-45F. would like something with zippy pockets so my phone doesn't fall out, but otherwise not picky. i do some ~20 mile rides regularly but at pretty slow paces, so just want something that can keep me warm without becoming a sweatbox (i tried to wear some uniqlo heattech pants i've had for a while and holy poo poo my legs were basically inside a sauna by the end of a half hour ride)

normally i'd just look to adidas or nike for this sorta stuff but weirdly they don't have anything winter-y with zip pockets (i loved the adidas tiro soccer pants for riding in this summer...)

Basketball warmup pants (avoid ones with buttons) and a base layer on top of bibs/chamois shorts works well. Also consider army surplus greens if you're looking for something more MTB less roadie. Avoid cotton.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

abraham linksys posted:

A bunch of yoga pants have phone pockets.

Also Eddie Bauer has a handful of techy pants that fit pretty slim with decent pockets. Not sweatpants but seem like they breathe ok while blocking wind a bit. I found a bunch at my local Sierra Trading post. If you have one of those around, or even a TJ Maxx, you can often find some athletic-adjacent stuff that actually works really well for cold weather outdoor activity.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 28, 2022

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

nwin posted:

It's a mtb helmet but the specialized tactic 4 or whatever is a killer helmet for 120, I have one and like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've always liked the various Specialized Prevail helmets. S-Works one is nice, light and on sale today: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-prevail-ii-vent/p/187323?color=320645-187323