Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

To all of you SFF naysayers: today I'm working from a friend's place while a leak over my desk gets fixed, and I just tossed my entire PC in my backpack and took it over. It ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What’s people’s issue with sff? Gpu space?

For me it’s just a question of money, otherwise I think I’d enjoy both the selection and building processes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

change my name posted:

To all of you SFF naysayers: today I'm working from a friend's place while a leak over my desk gets fixed, and I just tossed my entire PC in my backpack and took it over. It ruled

The backpack

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

What’s people’s issue with sff? Gpu space?

For me it’s just a question of money, otherwise I think I’d enjoy both the selection and building processes.

I don't think anyone has a legit issue it's just that SFF people are hilariously defensive so it's fun to bait them.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Micro Center currently has a bundle with a 12700K and an Asus Z690 Plus Tuf Gaming WiFi DDR4 motherboard for $350: https://www.microcenter.com/product/5005927/intel-core-i7-12700k,-asus-z690-plus-tuf-gaming-wifi-ddr4,-cpu-motherboard-combo

Ridiculously good deal for what's still a great CPU.

edit: Here's a high-end 3080 build list I just put together for kicks using this deal and some others:
(This is just an example list — not looking for feedback unless you have input on some better deals)

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($81.90 @ Kingston) (use the coupon code "WELCOME10" when checking out)
Video Card: MAXSUN GeForce RTX 3080 iCraft OC 10GB ($629.99 @ Newegg) (after $70 gift card)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.90 @ Newegg) (shipping early next month)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $1438.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-18 02:51 EST-0500

Sadly, Maxsun is now offering a smaller Newegg gift card than they were a day or so ago. It was a $175 gift card just a few hours ago, and now it's $70. Oh well. It still comes out to under $1500, which is nice. By the way, Maxsun products aren't very common in NA, but they're a brand that's been around Asia for a while now. Their product quality as generally decent, as far as I'm aware. You would buy the GPU first here and then use the gift card on the other components you're buying from newegg in order to make immediate use of the savings.

My buddy had been in the market for a new gaming/work PC since UPS shipping destroyed his old one, and this Microcenter deal came at the perfect time. We ran down to the Marietta, GA MC this past Saturday and the MC rep who was helped us get our parts together shared that they've been having a hard time keeping 12700k's in stock since they started running the combo. Sounds like a lot of folks have been going for it! It made enough buffer room in his build budget that we were able to fit an MSRP 4080 into the system too, so he's absolutely stoked about the whole thing. 12700k still a very good lil' CPU.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

people bitch and moan about the 212's mounting mechanism but I never had much trouble with it

Count yourself lucky. My X570 board has some scars from a failed 212 install - one of the mounting screws had snapped in half but it took me a while to figure that out. Nothing more than cosmetic damage, at least, but a big and stressful waste of time.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sir Lemming posted:

At the risk of asking too many questions -- since I'm already dealing with the repercussions of not asking enough -- is there any real significance to the "120 SE" vs. "120" or are they just slightly different models of the same thing? (There are pricing/availability/color differences and it would be easier to pick if the "SE" doesn't matter.)

The SE is slightly shorter (155m vs 157mm), doesn't have a name plate, and has three fewer fins (50 vs 53) compared to the non-SE.

Pick whichever you like, the difference in cooling performance will be minimal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
155mm is a magic clearance height for a few cases, but for your case either would fit just fine. If you ever plan to go to a smaller format case of any type, and reuse the cooler, you should get the 155mm one.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Isn't the protruding bits of heat pipes at the top kind of a big deal to speed up condensation?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

Isn't the protruding bits of heat pipes at the top kind of a big deal to speed up condensation?

condensation?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh god I hope not!

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

CordlessPen posted:

Why would there be any condensation? The heatsink and the pipes are always hotter than the air passing through them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The one thing that you had to pay attention with Thermalright coolers was whether the listing included the right bracket (LGA 1700). But a year later, this might not be an issue anymore.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Rinkles posted:

The one thing that you had to pay attention with Thermalright coolers was whether the listing included the right bracket (LGA 1700). But a year later, this might not be an issue anymore.

Sound advice for almost every make of cooler right now, actually

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Noctua sent me the bracket for my cooler I bought in 2019 after I sent them the invoice for the mobo with the lga 1700 and the old cooler for free. Took 2 weeks but if people are upgrading and are wanting to use the old coolers some manufacturers are sending it out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

edit: removing very wrong info!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 22, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Uh, no, heat pipes are hollow and the insides are coated with a wick material such as sintered metal powder. Manufacturers insert a single drop of water into each pipe, which evaporates at the coldplate and condenses at the tip. Once condensed, the water is rapidly wicked downwards through capillary action before the cycle is repeated. The condensation happens inside the pipe, obviously.

That said, it doesn't matter too much if the heat pipes protrude since the structure of the heatpipe is still the same either way. The tips of the heat pipes don't transfer heat as well as the rest of them, but that's about it. What this means is that the top fin or two may be less effective in the SE, but I don't think it makes a big difference in its cooling efficacy. Much more crucially is that the SE comes with LGA 1700 mounting hardware while the non-SE doesn't.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 22, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to be very clear: heat pipes are solid metal and no air cooler has any liquid in it at all. It is a big high surface area hunk of metal strapped to your CPU to transfer heat into itself by conduction and then to the air by convection.

Read this before being aggressively wrong next time

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any power supply brands to avoid? I'm probably going to buy a new PSU for my brother for Christmas, I gave him my old GPU and didn't realize his power supply doesn't have the plugs for it. I remember back when the Corsair... CX I think? were a line to avoid.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any power supply brands to avoid? I'm probably going to buy a new PSU for my brother for Christmas, I gave him my old GPU and didn't realize his power supply doesn't have the plugs for it. I remember back when the Corsair... CX I think? were a line to avoid.

Corsair are one of the more respected brands right now, probably the biggest avoid tag is on Gigabyte after they had a lot of power supplies sold as part of Newegg GPU bundles that exploded and then claimed people were running them under abnormal conditions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The list of PSU brands to avoid is way bigger than the list of PSU brands worth buying right now.

In PC Part Picker, filter for Gold, Platinum or Titanium power supplies, semi or fully modular, and at least the wattage you're looking for, then sort by price. Ignore cheap no-name brands like "Apex" entirely. But you also have to beware of specific models sold by otherwise good brands. The Thermaltake Toughpower GF1, Superflower Leadex, most Seasonic lines, many EVGA lines, Phanteks Amp, Fractal Design Ion, and the Corsair lines better than CX are all pretty good. That's a non-exhaustive list. Specifically look for PSUs that come with at least a 7-year warranty. 10-year warranties are even better. You don't care about the warranty itself per se, but the confidence of the manufacturer to stand behind the product for that long. They tend to give PSUs with better components longer warranties. PSUs that only come with 5 or 3 year warranties are to be avoided.

edit: platinum and titanium-rated power supplies are almost all going to be good, too. The efficiency rating is just for that, efficiency, but it's also very hard to make a high-efficiency power supply that also really sucks in some important way and/or is dangerous.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

holy poo poo thank you for posting that

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I took a stab at something for you but others might be able to do better. I've gone heavier on the CPU and RAM rather than the GPU because if you're just sticking at 1080p 60hz you really don't need much GPU and some of those strategy games can benefit from a decent CPU. The RX 6600 is not a great GPU but for ~$US 200 it's at least fairly priced. You've got some overhead on the PSU in case you wanted to upgrade your GPU in the future, which you would need to do if you decided to get a better monitor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This gets quite close: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8qs2nt

I put 32GB of RAM because I think KSP is pretty RAM hungry, but you could cut that down a bit. Cutting down to 500GB of storage would get you under a thousand CAD as well. I'm sure others can further optimize.

Most strategy games are CPU intensive and poorly optimized.

edit: very similar to the above but Butterfly Valley found a much cheaper 6600.

Big thanks to both of you, this is very helpful. When I have time I'll pick and choose between your lists and come back with another proposal for the thread.

And maybe I missed a reply to my other question: is this a good time to buy? Compared to say 3 months from now? I'm seeing chip prices go down quite dramatically which I've got to think will mean production and hence supply being cut to bring prices back up. I don't know enough to judge these cycles for myself however.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I ended up ordering this Phanteks 650w PSU because the SuperFlower model I was looking at has been sold out for a few days https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-amp-series-ph-p650g-us01-650w/p/N82E16817987009?Item=N82E16817987009

The "PSU tier list" seems to list it as an A-rank unit, and it has a 10-year warranty (warranty "powered by Seasonic"? I guess this is rebranded Seasonic). Seemed like a pretty good buy at $65?

The last thing I need to order is the case and cooler. I'm still leaning toward a Corsair 4000D Airflow and it's on sale at $90 right now, but people complain a lot about it only coming with one intake and one exhaust fan. How important is it to put an additional fan in there ( probably another 120mm intake)?

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 22, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
you want the 4000d airflow, not the base model, just to be clear. the 4000d airflow has decent stock performance, but adding extra fans will make it even better

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scoss posted:

I ended up ordering this Phanteks 650w PSU because the SuperFlower model I was looking at has been sold out for a few days https://www.newegg.com/phanteks-amp-series-ph-p650g-us01-650w/p/N82E16817987009?Item=N82E16817987009

The "PSU tier list" seems to list it as an A-rank unit, and it has a 10-year warranty (warranty "powered by Seasonic"? I guess this is rebranded Seasonic). Seemed like a pretty good buy at $65?

The last thing I need to order is the case and cooler. I'm still learning toward a Corsair 4000D Airflow and it's on sale at $90 right now, but people complain a lot about it only coming with one intake and one exhaust fan. How important is it to put an additional fan in there ( probably another 120mm intake)?

It's fine: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phanteks-amp-series-650w-power-supply-review

None of the demerits here are dealbreakers, and importantly it has good build quality and generally good performance.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Count Roland posted:

Big thanks to both of you, this is very helpful. When I have time I'll pick and choose between your lists and come back with another proposal for the thread.

And maybe I missed a reply to my other question: is this a good time to buy? Compared to say 3 months from now? I'm seeing chip prices go down quite dramatically which I've got to think will mean production and hence supply being cut to bring prices back up. I don't know enough to judge these cycles for myself however.

For a budget build like yours, yes I'd say buy now. Those components have already been discounted pretty heavily to account for the new poo poo that's been coming out lately and I don't think they'll get any cheaper. I also don't think they'll get much more expensive either but if you have the funds I'd say it's a good time to build so you can have a new toy over christmas.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few days ago I replaced the thermal paste on my i7-8700 since it's 5 years old and seemed like time to do that. immediately after doing this, it idled at 30-40 degrees. Every day since then, it's been idling at 40-50 degrees. Ambient temperature is the same, I'm not running anything different than before, and it shouldn't be under any more stress. Why might it have changed?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Are Antecs still good power supplies? I'm like a decade out of building a PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Are Antecs still good power supplies? I'm like a decade out of building a PC.

They're okay but haven't really kept up with the competition.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Uh, no, heat pipes are hollow and the insides are coated with a wick material such as sintered metal powder. Manufacturers insert a single drop of water into each pipe, which evaporates at the coldplate and condenses at the tip. Once condensed, the water is rapidly wicked downwards through capillary action before the cycle is repeated. The condensation happens inside the pipe, obviously.

Thanks for the info! It appears I overestimated the importance of the tiny bits that sometimes used to prevent me from closing my side panel.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

A few days ago I replaced the thermal paste on my i7-8700 since it's 5 years old and seemed like time to do that. immediately after doing this, it idled at 30-40 degrees. Every day since then, it's been idling at 40-50 degrees. Ambient temperature is the same, I'm not running anything different than before, and it shouldn't be under any more stress. Why might it have changed?
The conventional wisdom is/used to be that thermal paste takes some time to fully settle but (even if true) it wouldn’t account for a significant difference. I’d try again - give both the contact surfaces a proper scrub with alcohol and put a pea-sized lump of (new) paste dead in the centre. Screw down the cooler on alternating sides to help the paste spread evenly. If that doesn’t work but your temps under load are OK then forget about it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The cooler might be unseating itself a little? Usually the temperature changes a few days after a remount for the better as the thermal paste cures, if it's getting worse then the mounting pressure might be off - see if it's tightened all the way down. The only other thing that immediately springs to mind would be a bubble in the paste, but it'd have to be a pretty substantial bubble directly over a hotspot.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Newegg currently has a Black Friday sale on the i9-12900K and I'm tempted to build my next PC around it. I already have a spare GPU and PSU collecting dust, so I pretty much only need to figure out CPU + motherboard + RAM. But I haven't really kept up with hardware and definitely not chipsets or DDR4 vs DDR5.

Main uses would be relatively heavy duty, a lot of gaming but also compiling Unreal 5 often enough that I was considering a Threadripper. But the TDP on those is a bit of a turnoff, and I'd rather spend a bit more for something that is less of a power/heat hog. I'm not trying to futureproof or anything, but does the i9-12900K hit the mark there? If anything, the unlocked multiplier would make me undervolt it to run cooler/quieter.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jan posted:

Newegg currently has a Black Friday sale on the i9-12900K and I'm tempted to build my next PC around it. I already have a spare GPU and PSU collecting dust, so I pretty much only need to figure out CPU + motherboard + RAM. But I haven't really kept up with hardware and definitely not chipsets or DDR4 vs DDR5.

Main uses would be relatively heavy duty, a lot of gaming but also compiling Unreal 5 often enough that I was considering a Threadripper. But the TDP on those is a bit of a turnoff, and I'd rather spend a bit more for something that is less of a power/heat hog. I'm not trying to futureproof or anything, but does the i9-12900K hit the mark there? If anything, the unlocked multiplier would make me undervolt it to run cooler/quieter.

Get the 13700K instead. Same core count but better performance per core with the same power consumption. And cheaper to boot. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-13700k/7.html

The 13700K also apparently scales better when undervolting/power-limiting too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 22, 2022

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Will a Deepcool AK620 provide sufficient cooling for a 13600K?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Get the 13700K instead. Same core count but better performance per core with the same power consumption. And cheaper to boot. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-13700k/7.html

The 13700K also apparently scales better when undervolting/power-limiting too.

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of insight I was looking for! Sometimes chip generations are marginal and it seemed that way with no reduction in TDP but that's still a decent upgrade. Maybe enough to tide me over until the ceiling of die shrinks is reached and silicon stops progressing. :yum:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

Will a Deepcool AK620 provide sufficient cooling for a 13600K?

Easily, it's actually massive overkill.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

That's good to know. What would be considered "adequate" for a non-OC 13600K then - something like an AK400 or be quiet! Pure Rock 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Actually, I wouldn't really call the AK620 massive overkill for the 13600K. It's definitely adequate, but the 13600K is a power hog and you need a pretty good cooler for it.