Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I shouldn’t have hesitated on getting a 3DS right before COVID struck. I was this close to ordering.

People have said they've had good luck on Facebook market place if you live in a larger metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rinkles posted:

I shouldn’t have hesitated on getting a 3DS right before COVID struck. I was this close to ordering.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's one of my favorite systems ever. Track down a used one in good shape?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yeah I’d like to if I ever see a relatively cheap one

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Also check with JBone. He has a thread in the SA Mart. Fixes them up and then sells them way below market prices.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Also, check your PMs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Getting into some PS2 on the RP3+ and I’m shocked with how well some of these games are running. Sony sure did make their early hardware easy to emulate, I was blown away 13 years ago when my Droid phone played PS1 games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I would not call the EE or RSX easy to emulate at all, it took a long-rear end time to come this far

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah it’s probably second only to the N64 in terms of pain in the rear end-ness to emulate as I understand it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It'd help if console devs could opensource retro consoles.

I mean if you gave me a retroid3+ handheld with the ability to LEGALLY buy old games and the money goes to the OG devs...I'd buy it.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

coconono posted:

It'd help if console devs could opensource retro consoles.

I mean if you gave me a retroid3+ handheld with the ability to LEGALLY buy old games and the money goes to the OG devs...I'd buy it.

This is one of the many (spurious) claims the PolyMega devs made (being able to have a classic game marketplace not so much the OG devs getting paid).
You know this is one of those things they could work on while NOT shipping me my god damned console.
I am going to order the Analogue Duo, and I am sure I will have it in hand before my PolyMega ships. I mean, allegedly I will have my Pocket before the end of the year-ish.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it’s probably second only to the N64 in terms of pain in the rear end-ness to emulate as I understand it.

Surely the PS3 is worse. The loving Cell processor.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

flavor.flv posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FweFSlRk_I

It's crazy that PS2 emulation is now better than GameCube

That weird claw hand move he does in Mario Kart though what the hell

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The_White_Crane posted:

Surely the PS3 is worse. The loving Cell processor.

Yeah, N64, PS3, Saturn are all big ol "good christ what is this poo poo" architecture. PS2 a little less so mostly due to having good devkit documentation

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in olden times i was always miffed about Saturn being so hard to get working since i wanted to play Guardian Heroes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh a tangent, but what exactly was Sony trying to sell with the cel? I legitimately don’t get it, and I think they didn’t either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bogart posted:

Oh a tangent, but what exactly was Sony trying to sell with the cel? I legitimately don’t get it, and I think they didn’t either.

Probably the same fumes Intel were huffing with Itanium

Granted I think most of the architectural work was done by IBM researchers (given that it was based off POWER4 to begin with also)

Xenon and the Nintendo partnership worked out.. a lot better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s typical Sony. A weird proprietary solution in search of a problem that ultimately no one wants and is done far more simply with industry standard hardware, and then it’s dead after a single generation of hardware.

See also: countless Sony media formats.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the ps3 was always meant to be a technological trojan horse, they wanted cell running everywhere just like they wanted blu-ray running everywhere

at least one of these took off

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bogart posted:

I think they were committed to cell before they realized just how far behind they were in desktop OS technology. The best they could offer launch was a really glitchy Linux port.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EightFlyingCars posted:

the ps3 was always meant to be a technological trojan horse, they wanted cell running everywhere just like they wanted blu-ray running everywhere

at least one of these took off

They also wanted the XMB to become their universal UI across all devices, basically they were trying to do the platform unification thing Microsoft did with Windows 8 except less successful even though people actually liked it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

XMB was real nice when it was snappy (PSP) and dreadful when it was chugging and wheezing and dying (PS3, especially in-game)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i forgot that in the early days there was no in game xmb!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah it loving ruled to get an invite or a message and have to..stop playing the game to go see that your mate sent you an ASCII butthole

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I explicitly remember it being a big deal when they rolled out the update that added the in-game XMB.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One or two games even let you use the xmb music player

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hello thread, I was active on here 2000 posts ago. What's a good console I can buy for $50 ball park on Amazon right now? It's for a young teen.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Miyoo Mini is on that range? Everything else looks like cheap OG gameboy knockoffs afaik.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Good luck finding a Miyoo Mini though, they sell out within minutes whenever Miyoo puts any on their Aliexpress store. I’d look for sales on the 351P probably, might get one for $60-70 since I expect places are going to be clearing out stock of that as better options come in for its original price.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Facebook marketplace???? I saw an analogue pocket on there but I cannot justify 1000$ on a Gameboy, even if it is for adults (you can tell because it's black)

You may have luck looking there and in gaming groups on Facebook

... and the miyoo is like the only one I know about. there is a cheap clamshell design that's cute but I don't know who makes it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

forest spirit posted:

there is a cheap clamshell design that's cute but I don't know who makes it

That’s probably the Powkiddy V90.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If I buy a Powkiddy V90 on amazon, do they come with games?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

afaik they won't, but having a microSD card ready for them shouldn't be too hard. I know AliExpress is mercenary as hell so they will let you know if an SD card comes loaded with the unit, Amazon might be too dicey to have that up so they probably leave it out and you probably won't get one.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Powkiddy devices on Amazon come with games, including the V90. Keep in mind first that it's not a particularly good selection, filled with weird duplicates, bad names, Japanese and Chinese language only, etc. But for something you can buy for under $50 on Amazon itself, it remains unmatched. Here's a video that shows off some of the games that come with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W05BErLJuXI

Also keep in mind Powkiddy V90s come with a less optimal firmware by default, to get a nicer interface and less screen tearing and better quality (still not full speed) SNES emulation, you need to install custom firmware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpJTEkis_0&t=476s

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 22, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bogart posted:

The main idea was that the cell processor could achieve equal or better performance to desktop-class CPUs, at a much lower manufacturing cost, by spreading computational work across many "dumbed-down" processors.

It wasn't an inherently bad idea. Fundamentally that's how modern GPUs work, although graphics computation is much easier to perform in parallel. The PS3 also came out early in the "dual-core" era where parallel computation was seen as the way forward for basically everything. That they were (more or less) general purpose processors was considered advantageous because in the early HD era they weren't certain exactly how the processors would be used--they assumed "physics" but that was still a new concept in game engines.

There were two big problems with cell: First, the burden of effectively using SPEs fell on programmers, engines at that time couldn't effectively exploit them on their own. Second, any 360/PS3 cross-platform title had to be built around the specs those two machines had in common, which meant many of the SPEs just went unused. These were important lessons, which is why subsequent consoles don't really look all that different from each other under the hood, because Microsoft and Sony know that anything "special" is wasted when it comes to third parties.

All that said, the rest of the industry has caught up to what the PS3 was trying to do, kind of. These days CPUs with eight hardware threads is, more or less, a minimum configuration you'll see across modern consoles including the Steam Deck. A mark of a well programmed game is one that will effectively use all your hardware threads before getting CPU bound. So in the end the core concept wasn't terrible, it just wasn't executed well especially considering the development workflows of the time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Microsoft and Sony know that anything "special" is wasted when it comes to third parties.

This doesn’t stop Sony cramming a bunch of special bullshit into its controllers every generation though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

This doesn’t stop Sony cramming a bunch of special bullshit into its controllers every generation though.

The touchpad is still just a giant button 99% of the time but the weird variable triggers are kinda neat.

You you until developers stop making games that use them.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Presumably it's a bit easier to integrate bespoke controller options into a game then it is to fundamentally change the rendering engine.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Here's a fun video

https://twitter.com/khaosdimension/status/1594929621601959939?t=x3pccg5Ex2nnqVgv8tWlOQ&s=19

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I am putting my RG351M up on SA-Mart. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting here, and I apologize if so.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018077

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t care about it and we do it in music threads all the time so I doubt mods do. Big thing is having a mart thread for posterity.

I’m gonna be selling some soon too, I really don’t want them to go to waste.