Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

So I wonder what the first sign that something is wrong would be? An incessant buzzing noise...honey leaking from the ceiling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A house I lived in in my last year of college had a wasp's nest somewhere in the walls. I started seeing them around my bedroom and then got stung one night while rolling over in bed. Another one cozied up in my headphones and stung me on the neck when I was walking to class.

The landlord's solution (after much complaining) was to tape all of the heat/AC vents shut.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ironhead posted:

If those are cold spark machines, which they appear to be, this is totally fine. They are made literally for doing this kind of thing indoors as a safer alternative. You can hold your hand over them, and while you feel the spark, it's only like 70 degrees. The biggest advantage is they don't require a pyro permit for events.

When we use actual spark machines, I have to pull a permit, hire a licensed tech, and hire a fire man to stand by while the panel is in bypass. With these we're allowed to just fire them from the console without issue.

So‐called “cold” sparks are hot as hell. They’re not doing chemiluminescence or anything interesting like that. They are simply glowing white hot at something like three thousand kelvins, same as a lightbulb or garden variety pyrotechnics.

The only thing keeping them from burning your hand like a sparkler is that they don’t have much mass.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 22, 2022

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I had a wasps nest in the outside wall right above my front door and after one stung me as I was leaving I finally took care of it by filling the hole with 2 cans of wasp spray and a full can of expanding foam. For days I could hear them trying to chew their way out and I was in constant fear that they would break through the drywall and murder me.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

I had a wasps nest in the outside wall right above my front door and after one stung me as I was leaving I finally took care of it by filling the hole with 2 cans of wasp spray and a full can of expanding foam. For days I could hear them trying to chew their way out and I was in constant fear that they would break through the drywall and murder me.

Wasps will go through expanding foam like cotton candy.

Great Stuff has a bug hole version but I wouldn't be surprised if they could get around that with a bit of effort.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
The chewing sound haunts my dreams.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT7O4Jkftc4

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Wasps will go through expanding foam like cotton candy.

Great Stuff has a bug hole version but I wouldn't be surprised if they could get around that with a bit of effort.

The Great Stuff Pestblock foam just has a bitterant added to discourage rodents. Insects will give no fucks.

Americans are lucky because they can buy insecticidal powder off the shelf, but it's regulated in Canada and restricted to licensed pest-control people. That's the stuff you want for in-wall wasp nests because it takes a day or two to kill, so you can really dust the openings and they'll track it into their nest. Foams and sprays won't really do poo poo.

I had a bumble-bee nest under the concrete slab in my garage. I sprayed and then caulked up the entrance, and the bastards came out into my basement. Hundreds and hundreds of big fat bumble-bees in my basement. Fortunately, they were pretty sick from the spray and died off quickly.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 22, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Our roofers stuck their ladder into a buried yellowjacket nest. That was fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mister Speaker posted:

A house I lived in in my last year of college had a wasp's nest somewhere in the walls. I started seeing them around my bedroom and then got stung one night while rolling over in bed. Another one cozied up in my headphones and stung me on the neck when I was walking to class.

The landlord's solution (after much complaining) was to tape all of the heat/AC vents shut.

Sounds like a good plan, smother them up and they'll be gone in no time.

(the complainy tenants I mean)

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Our roofers stuck their ladder into a buried yellowjacket nest. That was fun.

Those are a whole entirely different plane of stinging thing hell than even hornets or wasps. We've always gone out of our way to relocate actual honey bees but yellow jackets can suck my balls from the back.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Canuckistan posted:

I had a bumble-bee nest under the concrete slab in my garage. I sprayed and then caulked up the entrance, and the bastards came out into my basement. Hundreds and hundreds of big fat bumble-bees in my basement. Fortunately, they were pretty sick from the spray and died off quickly.
While I understand that in this case it would have been woefully impractical to relocate the nest, as a general rule you should look up any local beekeepers and call them about a hive you want removed. They are almost always keen to get an established queen and hive for free. Likewise if you encounter any bees swarming (the bee-ball) they'll be keen on collecting them.

It is an absolute waste to kill them except in the most impossible of retrieval circumstances.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pickled Tink posted:

While I understand that in this case it would have been woefully impractical to relocate the nest, as a general rule you should look up any local beekeepers and call them about a hive you want removed. They are almost always keen to get an established queen and hive for free. Likewise if you encounter any bees swarming (the bee-ball) they'll be keen on collecting them.

It is an absolute waste to kill them except in the most impossible of retrieval circumstances.

Also I've never heard of a beekeeper keeping bumblebees, so

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

mischief posted:

Those are a whole entirely different plane of stinging thing hell than even hornets or wasps. We've always gone out of our way to relocate actual honey bees but yellow jackets can suck my balls from the back.

Car got towed into our shop. Been sitting a while wouldn't turn over. I put a booster on it and started it up as the same time as lowering the windows as it was middle of summer and the car was nuclear hot inside. Upon shifting into reverse the car jolted and a million (ok like 20) yellow jackets flew from behind the drivers side rear view mirror glass directly into the cabin and began to sting the poo poo out of me as I was backing out of the parking spot. Good times.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Wasps love satellite dishes. Specifically, the LNB at the end, which stays nice and warm due to the power flowing into from the coax leading to your satbox.

The older Superdishes (think 3 foot wide, not the giant old C-Band) ran especially hot at the end. More than once I started taking one down and realized I hadn't sprayed inside the arm first. I ran late on a few jobs because I took the time to angrily wipe out each and every single one of those hateful little motherfuckers, hot burning bumps on my hands arms and face.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Bee is stored in the walls

(I know it's the ceiling but close enough)

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Bee Apis is stored in the walls

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's really bizarre to me that people's first idea apparently is to just murder an entire wasps nest? I've had three summers at different times where wasps lived in the roof and also found their way inside the house. They dont want to be inside, so you just gotta make it easier for them to find their way out to the light than inside. Wasn't stung once, they're chill if you don't bother them. Just removed the dried out wasp's nest in the autmn and filled in the hole where it was.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlnxsjBjAQ1s1ddrj_720.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlotb2kORs1zbaolq.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ekuNNN posted:

it's really bizarre to me that people's first idea apparently is to just murder an entire wasps nest? I've had three summers at different times where wasps lived in the roof and also found their way inside the house. They dont want to be inside, so you just gotta make it easier for them to find their way out to the light than inside. Wasn't stung once, they're chill if you don't bother them. Just removed the dried out wasp's nest in the autmn and filled in the hole where it was.

:love:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Depends on the wasp. Yellow jackets, for instance, will kill you and piss on your corpse given the chance. They deserve no quarter for they shall give you none. It's completely ok to torch their nests along with anything around.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Most of the time people won't even notice that there's a wasp nest somewhere in the house. They're predators, it can even be beneficial that they eat other more harmful bugs. Though I have sometimes been painting the eaves of a house and you know what, if I'm already on a tall, shaking scaffold, I want to concentrate on not falling down instead of not being stung. That's when I will get the bug spray out.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ekuNNN posted:

And then when they get outside they can aggressively chase and sting you. A childhood full of that and I give no quarter to red wasps. But mud daubers are cool and I'll always spray the hose nearby to make them a nice mud puddle for building their nests.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/CfP96IT.mp4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm amazed they don't get more voids.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

You don't see as many Mom and Pop aluminium reclycing and huge wok foundries anymore.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
It's safe to use melted-soda-can dishes to make food, right? Like, you're definitely not leeching anything into the food you're making, no?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Being-molten-metal is an effective way of removing residual organics such as paint and varnish. Anything non-metallic ends up in the slag.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ekuNNN posted:

Well like I said, the ones that got into my house; there were enough of them that some found their way into awkward places like my bedsheets or headphones and then they naturally would get spooked and sting away. I'm lucky they didn't have a very intense pheromone thing going on or I'd have been stung half a dozen times before making it out of my room to go sleep upstairs in the kitchen.

There are different breeds, too, and some have much more 'aggression' if you can even call it that. I worked at a summer camp for a few years that had a ground wasp problem - these fuckers were a bit more pale, their stripes were almost white, and they liked to make their nests in hot dry weather in densely-packed dirt, which meant there were a few right along some hiking trails. Imagine having some campers with anaphylactic beesting allergies, and being told you have to go on a hike. We weren't about to start carrying dead kids back through the forest, so a big part of the job was going out regularly and 'bombing' these nests with wasp spray, which inevitably meant you'd get stung a lot.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bullheadedness doesn't increase safety!

Wear fitting clothes when... you are working in the vicinity of operating machines

:mrgw:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/1594994597805031424?t=AvZnlOsR1h0ACURroOZ6wA&s=19

The Late Late Breakfast Show's penchant for having members of the public perform stunts would be its downfall, when Michael Lush fell 100 feet to his death while rehearsing a bunjee-jumping stunt in November 1986.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Here a short doc on that show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Rj3N9Pmz8

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Two thousand pound penalty, how would the BBC ever recover from such a fine?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SimonSays posted:

A whole bunch of the history of architecture, Western and Eastern, emerges from churches and temples burning down and giving an opportunity for a rebuild.

So we should burn more churches to get cool buildings?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/hCLs61y.mp4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

BlackIronHeart posted:

It's safe to use melted-soda-can dishes to make food, right? Like, you're definitely not leeching anything into the food you're making, no?

If they only use the cans it’s probably OK, but if they throw in other random scraps it might not be. I'd worry about lead.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

:catstare: I didn’t know there were places where they still put a living man in the foundations to make sure the gods don't make the building collapse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, the mafia's getting brutal. First they're all "time to dig your own grave", now they pull this "hey as long as you're here, why don't you give us a hand moving this heavy equipment too" poo poo :jerkbag:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Non Compos Mentis posted:

So we should burn more churches to get cool buildings?

I think that just gets you bigger and cooler churches, but go for it

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Zopotantor posted:

If they only use the cans it’s probably OK, but if they throw in other random scraps it might not be. I'd worry about lead.
What scrap could be an appreciable amount of lead, though? I'd assume you wouldn't just crack open a car battery and dump the plates into the crucible, and I can't imagine the use of lead solder is common for aluminum (which is also being phased out in general due to its toxicity.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I'm the half-laughed "blya-haaa-t" at the end