Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think overall after playing so much the low FPS only bugged me truly a couple times (Fairy team star base in the field of flowers made the whole battle take 1.5x as long as it should cuz of how slow everything went) but I hate how slow it makes menuing. I'll gladly walk around in 5fps land if the menus were somehow made snappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
you shouldn't use flamethrower to fill out a checklist you should use it to let children you meet on the road know that they have to give you their pocket money or else

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

some of it was creative and interesting but most of it was terrible busywork yeah. I feel like they're on to something with it and it neatly fits the idea that you're learning *about* these weird creatures but I think it could have been 2-3 interesting challenges per Pokemon as opposed to Use Move 10 Times, Catch 8 Fat Fucks etc

yeah if they were all the little challenges it woudlve been good. i thought it wouldve been better if it had actually just been a pokemon snap game and the dex requirements couldve been the snap stuff of seeing two pokemon interacting or whatever. wouldve fit with the researching thing too, as well as the setting being everyone is scared of catching them.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think overall after playing so much the low FPS only bugged me truly a couple times (Fairy team star base in the field of flowers made the whole battle take 1.5x as long as it should cuz of how slow everything went) but I hate how slow it makes menuing. I'll gladly walk around in 5fps land if the menus were somehow made snappy.

smt v was perfect training for it

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m looking for a new game, largely because I have the Pokémon itch for obvious reasons. With holiday sales I could definitely pick up something for less than the price of Violet.

I like thinking about team compositions but I don’t like when I have to do it all the time. Pacing is important to me… ideally a game lets me pick a team and stick with it until I want to change it. I don’t want to have to tinker with gear or skill points too much. Every now and then is okay, but constantly stopping to think about where to equip gear or how to use a skill point really burns me out these days. I also appreciate a world I can putz around in and explore to find secrets/items/whatever.

With my weirdness about packing taken into consideration I’m thinking about Triangle Strat, Xenoblade 3, SMT V, Violet, or maaaaybe Persona 5.

I like how TriStrat seems to have minimal equipment and limited skill trees. Building teams in Pokémon seems to be as simple or as complicated as one wants to make it. These two are my top contenders.

I played XB1 so I think I know what I’m in for with for 3 and if my memory is serving me well, I spent quite a bit of time adjusting gear and stat boosting doodads in 1. I don’t think I’m in the mood for that.

SMT V looks like it’d scratch the Pokémon team building itch at half the cost. How’s the pacing? Is there much/any forced team/equipment rebuilds? Is there a lot of thought in skills or is it more like Pokémon where a monster gets skills at predetermined levels? Is there much exploration?

I really don’t know what to make of Persona 5. It looks neat but I think it has a limited actions per day thing? Definitely not into that right now.

I'd recommend Triangle Strategy as I have before. Biggest issue with it is "plot" as in its plot heavy (it's a fine story though), so you find yourself wondering when all the fights are going to happen. But they do happen and they're very good. The game can be played with a main squad of 8-12 characters or you can find yourself swapping constantly. You don't have to grind for levels ever. Leveling up is extremely easy and even your levels behind a recommended level for a fight, you'll gain a full level per action (even using an item). You may grind for cash, but that's more on you, the game won't require you to do that. It has a ton of replay value, since you can decide to go through with another team and there's a bunch of endings (a minimum of 4 playthroughs are required to see it all). Every character is uniquely built and some are better than others at certain situations, but all have a niche and its up to you to find out how best to use them. Leveling characters is very straightforward, and the only "options" you have in upgrading weapons are fully reversible with no cost (you are forced to choose between 2 upgrades, one is often best, and otherwise you can swap them painlessly depending on the fight you're going into).

There's not too much exploring, but you do get a chance to explore battlefields and pick up odds and ends. The game is tough but fair and will require you to think, but there's no perma-death and if you lose a fight you only gain experience and lose no items that were spent. It's very generous in that regard. I can't talk more highly about it. It is a strategy game though so you have to enjoy that. Try the demo!

And while you're right about Pokémon allowing you to play it simple or complicated the only thing that strikes me as worthwhile are some of those challenge runs that limit your options to make the game actually difficult.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

you shouldn't use flamethrower to fill out a checklist you should use it to let children you meet on the road know that they have to give you their pocket money or else

don't give that guy ideas for the next time he sees/thinks about/hunts down Spanish children

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

some of it was creative and interesting but most of it was terrible busywork yeah. I feel like they're on to something with it and it neatly fits the idea that you're learning *about* these weird creatures but I think it could have been 2-3 interesting challenges per Pokemon as opposed to Use Move 10 Times, Catch 8 Fat Fucks etc

If we get this, I'm happy.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Pokemon are nfts lp points are bitcoin

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
wow nintendo, hope you didn't hurt yourselves too bad coming up with this black friday eshop sale

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

TriStrat words.

And while you're right about Pokémon allowing you to play it simple or complicated the only thing that strikes me as worthwhile are some of those challenge runs that limit your options to make the game actually difficult.

I did play the TriStrat demo and I liked it a bunch! I’m glad to get confirmation that the leveling stuff is very streamlined and forgiving! I didn’t know you could roll back on decisions. That’s awesome.

My comment about Pokémon being as simple or complicated wasn’t made in consideration of challenge runs (perspective and context always matter and I wasn’t clear). I was thinking more along the lines of team building and skill selection. Pokémon can be completed by capturing one ‘mon of a species and using that one ‘mon with no stat or skill tinkering. Or you could hunt around for or breed the perfect ‘mon and then work to get all the perfect skills and whatever else to min/max your team. I’m not into min/max’ing and Pokémon allows for that.

I’m still very much undecided, but leaning toward Pokémon because all I want to play are comfort food games these days. If TriStrat didn’t have such long chunks of story I’d be much more keen on it right now.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Plot's not that long. It's all skippable, though that's not the best way to go about it. Reading the scenes you usually have like 5-10 mins before a battle, exploration, or vote. If it's just battles, it can probably go from 5 mins to 15. The beginning of the game is a bit front-loaded with plot being far more streamlined down the path. Plus the "mock" battles, which are redoable at any point, allow you to just fight all you want.

I wouldn't sit through the voice-acting, it's neither very good and it takes longer.

Either way, I hope you enjoy what you end up getting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m looking for a new game, largely because I have the Pokémon itch for obvious reasons. With holiday sales I could definitely pick up something for less than the price of Violet.

Hey, for once, someone is asking about a bunch of games all of which I've played!

Triangle Strategy: Yeah, as people have said, there's very little customization and the big decisions are which team you bring and then whatever tactical actions they can take. Also worth mentioning is that it has a very generous exp curve, so if you wanna bring someone in from the bench, they can catch up real fast.

Pokémon Violet: Also yes. My general strategy is just picking up ones I like, ideally ones I haven't used before, and sticking with that team regardless of how optimal it is, rarely benching one if I find a really cool new friend. You can do this just fine, and also rotate in way more monsters if you feel like it, the game is also pretty generous with letting things catch up.

XBC3: This game was a bit on the fiddly end in my experience, but I was also in a fiddly mood when I played it. It has options for automating both equipment and skills if you'd prefer; I've never used them but I hear they work fine. It's also by far the prettiest of the games on the list and I quite enjoyed the plot.

SMTV: There's very little in the way of customization; your demons come with base stats and a set of skills, and you can slap them together to give them other demons' skills. There's a whole min-maxing metagame if you want to powerlevel and crush hard mode, but you don't have to engage with it if you don't want to. It does miss on the pacing front, because demons will stop learning skills and fall behind after a handful of levels, and the game wants you to fuse them into newer tougher ones, but it's a lot more organic and manageable than it sounds; I hated the idea when I first came across it, but adjusted pretty easily.

Persona 5: Similarly, the action limit innately put me off, but I ended up being fine with it once I got used to it. You can take as long as you like exploring the town and shopping and such, and likewise in dungeons, and then pick one of a number of actions to boost your stats or explore side stories to get various bonuses and such. As long as you don't try to max out everything in one playthrough, it's a surprisingly chill experience. Gameplay-wise it strikes a middle ground where you have one character doing the SMT demon stuff and a cast of traditional RPG party members who require little management.

sorry I guess that's not much help, they're all good!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have been playing pokemon for a few hours and have only had a hand full of issues.

• I have only seen the floor clip once.
  • Thing do really lower in frame rate in the distance
  • particle effects and grass effects really don't mix well.
  • Some slow down for a second or two when entering big areas

I'm not getting to experience any of the silly bugs that Twitter promised me. What a rip off. I just got a normal good game. Where are my memes!?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Hey, for once, someone is asking about a bunch of games all of which I've played!

Triangle Strategy: Yeah, as people have said, there's very little customization and the big decisions are which team you bring and then whatever tactical actions they can take. Also worth mentioning is that it has a very generous exp curve, so if you wanna bring someone in from the bench, they can catch up real fast.

Pokémon Violet: Also yes. My general strategy is just picking up ones I like, ideally ones I haven't used before, and sticking with that team regardless of how optimal it is, rarely benching one if I find a really cool new friend. You can do this just fine, and also rotate in way more monsters if you feel like it, the game is also pretty generous with letting things catch up.

XBC3: This game was a bit on the fiddly end in my experience, but I was also in a fiddly mood when I played it. It has options for automating both equipment and skills if you'd prefer; I've never used them but I hear they work fine. It's also by far the prettiest of the games on the list and I quite enjoyed the plot.

SMTV: There's very little in the way of customization; your demons come with base stats and a set of skills, and you can slap them together to give them other demons' skills. There's a whole min-maxing metagame if you want to powerlevel and crush hard mode, but you don't have to engage with it if you don't want to. It does miss on the pacing front, because demons will stop learning skills and fall behind after a handful of levels, and the game wants you to fuse them into newer tougher ones, but it's a lot more organic and manageable than it sounds; I hated the idea when I first came across it, but adjusted pretty easily.

Persona 5: Similarly, the action limit innately put me off, but I ended up being fine with it once I got used to it. You can take as long as you like exploring the town and shopping and such, and likewise in dungeons, and then pick one of a number of actions to boost your stats or explore side stories to get various bonuses and such. As long as you don't try to max out everything in one playthrough, it's a surprisingly chill experience. Gameplay-wise it strikes a middle ground where you have one character doing the SMT demon stuff and a cast of traditional RPG party members who require little management.

sorry I guess that's not much help, they're all good!

It is really good help! I like to read peoples impressions about video games! This is exactly the kind of stuff I was fishing for! Thank you!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

I want Sakurai (HAL Laboratory?) to make the UI for Pokemon games. :colbert:

Just license the next Pokémon game to HAL. It can be a Kirby crossover. Kirby's vengeance quest. He can go on a Rampage to free all those captive pokemons.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Whatcha know about the Sludge Life? How about that it's on sale half off!

Sludge Life is a 3D platformer / exploration game where you play as Ghost, a graffiti artist hitting a polluted junktown that's on strike for the day. The game is all about finding sweet spots to tag, collecting gear to help you explore further, and meeting all the other weirdos living in sludge with you. There's not much combat or danger, the only real enemies are gravity, snakes (I only ever found one,) and the bad ending. There's no permadeath, either.

I liked this game a lot on Steam, but it's a little short to pay full price for. It's definitely an "experience" game like A Short Hike, but that one's better imo. There are hints at an underlying story, you just have to explore around to learn it.

Meet weird people and animals! Trip balls on mushrooms! Climb a radio tower to smoke a ciggy, then piss off it! There's also toggles in the Options menu if you want to play as a vegetarian, and if you sit down when you pee. Inclusivity!

Big Mud for lyfe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EAGUyrZ0-s

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Shwqa posted:

I have been playing pokemon for a few hours and have only had a hand full of issues.

I'm not getting to experience any of the silly bugs that Twitter promised me. What a rip off. I just got a normal good game. Where are my memes!?

this is because it's just a normal good game, and everyone should play it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I shan’t.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yeah it’s fun

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Shwqa posted:

Aside from the usual stuff we all know about, my fave glitch that I've had so far has been when I ate a sandwich my mouth got stuck open in a big open smile and got stuck that way til I restarted. That was a good one. Did a gym battle like that and I just looked super stoked the whole time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Most of the more batshit bugs I’ve seen have all been from people playing multiplayer tbqh

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The last glitch I got was making a sandwich where after putting the top oart it dissapeared, so it was just bread with 12 slices of ham and chorizo lol.

Kinda sad the chorizos are not in slices but in sausage form, so I can't replicate my usual snack.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Waffle! posted:

Whatcha know about the Sludge Life? How about that it's on sale half off!

Sludge Life is a 3D platformer / exploration game where you play as Ghost, a graffiti artist hitting a polluted junktown that's on strike for the day. The game is all about finding sweet spots to tag, collecting gear to help you explore further, and meeting all the other weirdos living in sludge with you. There's not much combat or danger, the only real enemies are gravity, snakes (I only ever found one,) and the bad ending. There's no permadeath, either.

I liked this game a lot on Steam, but it's a little short to pay full price for. It's definitely an "experience" game like A Short Hike, but that one's better imo. There are hints at an underlying story, you just have to explore around to learn it.

Meet weird people and animals! Trip balls on mushrooms! Climb a radio tower to smoke a ciggy, then piss off it! There's also toggles in the Options menu if you want to play as a vegetarian, and if you sit down when you pee. Inclusivity!

Big Mud for lyfe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EAGUyrZ0-s

Ok this looks very dope. Definitely snagging it.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The last glitch I got was making a sandwich where after putting the top oart it dissapeared, so it was just bread with 12 slices of ham and chorizo lol.

Kinda sad the chorizos are not in slices but in sausage form, so I can't replicate my usual snack.

Oh yeah, I had that too, thought I just missed the top slice of bread.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

nothing wrong with an open-faced sammy

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1594858249123143682?s=46&t=imfWv8TWipwuzj0UxfBVEw

Oh hey, wasn’t this update supposed to happen a long time ago?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Still waiting for Homerun Contest

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hatty posted:

Still waiting for Homerun Contest

I’m not even glancing at the game until they add this tbh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gang Beasts is on sale and it's hilarious fun!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Grabbed Persona 5 Royal, I got a chunk of the way through it on PS3, but it’s been so long I’ve forgotten 99% of it I’m sure.

It really strikes me as a game that’s probably better on the switch anyway?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
How’s the Rogue Legacy 2 Switch port?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Calidus posted:

excellent

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If different people use different profiles on a switch, will the same game share saves between profiles, or keep the saves "walled off" between profiles?

I.e. will my kid destroy my saves if he plays the same games?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Calidus posted:

Basically perfect. Load times are a touch long but hardly deal-breaking.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

redreader posted:

If different people use different profiles on a switch, will the same game share saves between profiles, or keep the saves "walled off" between profiles?

different profiles have different saves. that's why you see speedrunners of botw/odyssey/splatoon/etc make big batches of profiles because they gotta burn one for each attempt

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

redreader posted:

As long as your kid's playing on his own profile he won't touch your saves. Nintendo was doing that as far back as the Wii U.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pretty sure they said it was coming in the fall/later this year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fire Emblem digital code is $35 at Walmart right now

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

redreader posted:

The only game I can think of that’s not walled off is animal crossing with the shared island

It has pros and cons. I wish you could take a game like Smash and have it unlock characters for other users. Because I unlocked them all and my kid keeps using my profile because ofnit

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Astro7x posted:

The only game I can think of that’s not walled off is animal crossing with the shared island

It has pros and cons. I wish you could take a game like Smash and have it unlock characters for other users. Because I unlocked them all and my kid keeps using my profile because ofnit

One game that totally does this right and doesn't need to is Mario Party Superstars. Everyone signs in as themselves, and progresses their unlocks as they play.

Edit: I think Big Brain Academy does this, too, but it really should be every game. Either sign in or continue as guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

As long as your kid's playing on his own profile he won't touch your saves. Nintendo was doing that as far back as the Wii U.

Tell that to my fruit eating, rock crushing, tree digging kid.
She also stole one of my pipes for getting to the pier quick.

Just have to accept that you can't give a 5yo tools and super strength, and expect things to stay where you put them, I guess.
Such is the way of the world

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 22, 2022