Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think I read somewhere that Trump actually has a contract with Truth which makes it difficult to post on Twitter. He also owns a large part of Truth so he benefits directly if it actually takes off. (It wont)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rigel posted:

I think I read somewhere that Trump actually has a contract with Truth which makes it difficult to post on Twitter. He also owns a large part of Truth so he benefits directly if it actually takes off. (It wont)

Has a contractual obligation ever really stopped Trump from doing something he wanted to do?

He might just be waiting to see if Twitter actually dies before he commits to it again, since everyone* is expecting it to go belly-up at any minute.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
There's also this...

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1594582622071820289

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Trump doesn't really need a Twitter account. Reporters, superfans, and incredibly mad liberals will happily copy every Truth Social post he makes over to Twitter anyway. Moreover, him not being on Twitter drives those mad libs to go log into Truth Social regularly (and see ads in the process, putting money into his pockets) just so they can watch Trump tweets.

Musk being openly desperate to get Trump tweeting again as his own fortunes have declined tells the whole story. Musk needs Trump way more than Trump needs Twitter.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is a week old but I hadn't seen it mentioned and found it interesting.

The ability to run for office while holding another office leads to some real ratfucky situations from time to time. Brian Kemp's voter roll purges and last minute investigation into the Dem attempt to hack Georgia's election as Secretary of State running for Governor are pretty well known, but the AG->higher office pipeline leads to some "I AM the law" behavior too. As was the case with Josh Hawley, the Missouri Senator and former AG.

In a 19 page ruling, a Missouri judge agreed with the DSCC that Hawley's Attorney General's Office knowingly and purposefully violated the state's sunshine law during his 2018 campaign, aiming to hide embarassing and potentially illegal actions from his opponents.

The only part of this more tragicomic than the relief (the statutory maximum of $12,000 in fines) is the Attorney General Office's contention that they were correct to withhold the documents because they were covered by a litigation exception. Specifically, that the DSCC was suing over a different sunshine failure at the time of their request and, additionally, that the withheld documents could one day be at the center of a lawsuit (a nice bit of self-fulfillery, I must admit). To make sure this is clear, the AGO was arguing (1) Suing them for failing to turn over documents means they are permitted to deny all requests until the first case is complete, without recourse and (2) That if you might sue because you didn't receive documents, they're correct in withholding documents.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump doesn't really need a Twitter account. Reporters, superfans, and incredibly mad liberals will happily copy every Truth Social post he makes over to Twitter anyway. Moreover, him not being on Twitter drives those mad libs to go log into Truth Social regularly (and see ads in the process, putting money into his pockets) just so they can watch Trump tweets.

Musk being openly desperate to get Trump tweeting again as his own fortunes have declined tells the whole story. Musk needs Trump way more than Trump needs Twitter.

Trump posts sooo much more on his site than any libs are reposting on twitter lol. Those long text diatribes are sandwiched in between dozens of memes and one word shitposts.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
So, here we are with the next round of Trump's legal media strategy:
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1595103852235485185

Prior to getting slapped down by the 11th today, he's throwing out chaff for friendly outlets and to distract from the day's action (in his case and others).

Prebutting these quickly: The overbroadness argument falls into the overall case his lawyers have been making that he was served with a general warrant (briefly: grabbing whatever we can and figuring out the crime later), which is a nono. The reality and the court's view is best summed up as "you can have impermissibly broad language if it's controlled by narrower language elsewhere in the warrant" (which is unquestionably the case here). Simplest terms: Justice got a warrant saying they can 'seize everything related to the following criteria' and Trump's lawyers are arguing 'seize everything' are the only words the judges should read.

The argument about "additional documents in the same box as a potentially responsive document" is similarly horseshit. How, where, with what, by whom, and for whom the documents were stored is at the center of the case. The "additional documents" (and golf shirts, passports, annotated newspaper clippings, etc) are fundamental for the case.

Taking it to its most absurd for clarity: Assume Trump has a golf shirt embroidered with "MBS tournament partner and pregame private document review participant", that he was photographed wearing while meeting MBS on a day that intelligence confirms the Saudi government learned classified information. Further assume this was found in a box with a distinctive folder of documents containing that same classified information. Further assume that there's a photograph in the same box of Trump holding the distinctive folder and shaking hands with MBS, autographed by MBS with the message "very informative, thank you!".

Trump's argument is that the shirt and photograph are not responsive to the warrant and his rights have been violated if the government seizes or records the photo and shirt.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Relatedly, thread for the aforementioned hearing.
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1595130895841005569

Klasfeld is at least newsnation adjacent but tends to be good (from a straightforward "here's what was said" perspective) inspite of that. Happy to replace if someone has a better hearingswatcher!

ETA: To avoid TVIV'ing a slowmoving thread, the "highlights" from Trump's very bad no good day in court (general reminder: that this is in court at all and the status quo is obstruction is an incalculable victory for Trump)-
Grant (and the less vocal Brasher) are both Trump nominees, Pryor is a Dubya judge.
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1595134754516766720
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1595135225109315584
https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1595136572789522433

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 22, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Would be nice if the Dems actually get to look at them before January

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1595139863955013632?s=46&t=LmUy5P3_qisJme1_YNcSxA

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

I think there's Dem house committee that is investigating Trump's taxes? Will that committee even exist anymore once the Rs take over the house?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Charliegrs posted:

I think there's Dem house committee that is investigating Trump's taxes? Will that committee even exist anymore once the Rs take over the house?

At this point, once they get them, they should just publicly release them immediately. gently caress him, every other president released their tax return.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

The committee will, it will just be led by Republicans.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Charliegrs posted:

The Ways and Means Committee will still exist (that's not the only thing it does) but the investigation will definitely halt until the Democrats regain the House. The special counsel Garland appointed the other day will have to pick up where they left off, so expect another fight over whether Congress is allowed to transfer them to him probably

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

At this point, once they get them, they should just publicly release them immediately. gently caress him, every other president released their tax return.

the list of things democrats should have done with a legislative trifecta is not a short one.

but they consider the preservation of decorum a much more important goal than any of those things, and so, here we are.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the list of things democrats should have done with a legislative trifecta is not a short one.

but they consider the preservation of decorum a much more important goal than any of those things, and so, here we are.

They didn't even have the opportunity to do what I'm suggesting until, possibly soon after this order.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Are you making the argument that pursuing trumps taxes was given more resources and priority than passing legislation including stuff that they didn't have the votes for? I'm unclear how this is a response to the tax return thing in anything more than the "I'd like to switch back to a subject I want to talk about" sense.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

They didn't even have the opportunity to do what I'm suggesting until, possibly soon after this order.

i think you'll find they had the opportunity to do it much sooner than this, if they had wanted to. they control the executive and the legislative branches. american history is -full- of congressional initiatives explicitly designed to gently caress over political rivals, pursued openly, happily, and successfully by the partisans in question. that it has taken them this long to get to this point is an artifact of that same obsession with preserving political decorum; they were terrified at every step of looking like they might be overstepping their self-imposed bounds, and so they took a two-year-road to get here.

right around the time they can safely let the investigation die in republican hands! happy coincidence, that.

if they release them i will be pleasantly surprised, but it would be a violation of the process, and the Democratic Party has been very clear that it values the process well beyond its own self-preservation as a political party.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

i think you'll find they had the opportunity to do it much sooner than this, if they had wanted to. they control the executive and the legislative branches. american history is -full- of congressional initiatives explicitly designed to gently caress over political rivals, pursued openly, happily, and successfully by the partisans in question. that it has taken them this long to get to this point is an artifact of that same obsession with preserving political decorum; they were terrified at every step of looking like they might be overstepping their self-imposed bounds, and so they took a two-year-road to get here.

right around the time they can safely let the investigation die in republican hands! happy coincidence, that.

if they release them i will be pleasantly surprised, but it would be a violation of the process, and the Democratic Party has been very clear that it values the process well beyond its own self-preservation as a political party.

If your argument can be boiled down to "they should have just ignored the court and had the president fire IRS officials until he found one willing to break the law", then I don't know what to do with that.

Maybe we need a different thread for "Dems bad because they follow the law when they shouldn't".

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
White House pausing student loan repayment until June 30th or 60 days after a final disposition of the current lawsuit. By then we will be in full-on presidential campaign season. Loan repayments are never starting back up lmao.

https://twitter.com/nancook/status/1595149097404870657?s=20&t=ByZVyt3mLTjTgpvgwQiiJQ

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I can't wait for Trump to run on making people repay their student loans.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Push El Burrito posted:

I can't wait for Trump to run on making people repay their student loans.

Please don't leak the 2024 republican platform.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In other very bad day for Trump in court news, Daily Beast had a writer in New York for Trump Org fraud lawsuit. The judge was... prickly. The TO lawyer was worse.

https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1595071321737924608
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1595072382427070464
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1595073181890527234
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1595076212443197442
https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1595084710467846144

This trial being wrapped in 2023, more than anything (including jail time), could have a major impact on Trump's willingness to run. Absent this and the Foundation, it's much more challenging to actually profit from another ride on the campaign carousel.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paracaidas posted:

This trial being wrapped in 2023, more than anything (including jail time), could have a major impact on Trump's willingness to run.

He is already running, and it's less about profit than hiding from legal repercussions in the White House while the AG runs interference for him for another four years

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Good God our loving justice system moves slow

selec
Sep 6, 2003

cr0y posted:

Good God our loving justice system moves slow

The vast majority of people in jail right now are just there because their families are too poor to get them out.

It’s much worse than slow, it’s simply not a justice system. It’s a class management system.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

skylined! posted:

White House pausing student loan repayment until June 30th or 60 days after a final disposition of the current lawsuit. By then we will be in full-on presidential campaign season. Loan repayments are never starting back up lmao.

https://twitter.com/nancook/status/1595149097404870657?s=20&t=ByZVyt3mLTjTgpvgwQiiJQ

Love that we’re the new dreamers: a political football that’s too toxic to act on either way.

Punting like last weekends jets - patriots game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Love that we’re the new dreamers: a political football that’s too toxic to act on either way.

They're not going to try to make you pay loans they're trying to discharge all or part of.

What will be funny is if Trump casually mentions "yeah, people should get their loans discharged, I never pay back any of my loving loans lol" and the vampire resistance to student loan forgiveness evaporates overnight.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

If Warnock wins, could the Senate just continue the investigations on their end with the House findings? I believe they have the same investigative powers.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Young Freud posted:

If Warnock wins, could the Senate just continue the investigations on their end with the House findings? I believe they have the same investigative powers.

Warnock winning is immaterial; the dems already control the senate. He's just an insurance vote at this point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Warnock is the difference between having to get Sinema and Manchin and having to get Sinema or Manchin

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Warnock winning is immaterial; the dems already control the senate. He's just an insurance vote at this point.

I thought if the current Senate status quo is a power-sharing agreement between both parties. The Democrats have a nominal majority because of Harris, but can't change committee makeup, etc.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

not quite, with a majority of senate seats instead of a 50/50 split, democrats get more control over committees and thus the republicans lose a lot of ability to issue horseshit subpoenas and whatnot as they go through multiple inquests measuring the girth of hunter biden's hog

Young Freud posted:

I thought if the current Senate status quo is a power-sharing agreement between both parties. The Democrats have a nominal majority because of Harris, but can't change committee makeup, etc.

right, warnock winning means firmer democrat control of the senate and the republican house has to go off to fight the culture war without backup

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean, the whole reason there's litigation is that the administration is trying to unilaterally cancel quite a lot of money in loans

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Warnock is the difference between having to get Sinema and Manchin and having to get Sinema or Manchin

And just the general optics of not rewarding Trump's terrible picks, and Republicans in general, with more power considering how they've been acting since at least January of last year. Telling Reps to gently caress off is worth at least as much as the strategic benefit of weakening the most intransigent Conservative Dem holdouts.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Fetterman should count for at least 2 Senate seats.

Because he's big, you see.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

Fetterman should count for at least 2 Senate seats.

Because he's big, you see.

Replace the filibuster with a dunking contest.

Gym shorts mandatory regardless of weather.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Replace the filibuster with a dunking contest.

Gym shorts mandatory regardless of weather.

My money is on everyone's favorite senator from Texas

https://imgur.com/ogHY8NM

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Lol I could watch that clip a million times

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The athleticism of a bag of overripe bananas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Remember how Alex Jones has, so far, lost two lawsuits about Sandy Hook?

There was one in CT, which has no statutory damages cap, and smacked Jones for nearly a billion dollars total.

But before that, there was one in Texas, where a jury awarded $49 million dollars in damages. But because Texas law caps punitive damages at $750k, and most of this judgment was punitive damages, it was expected that the judge would reduce it to just $4.75 million.

The judge is not reducing the damages award. In fact, the judge openly volunteered that she believed the cap was unconstitutional and should be overturned by the courts. :unsmigghh:

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1595174828700536853
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1595178251923636224

Obviously, this is getting appealed, and there's always a chance the appeals court won't buy this. And of course, whether he pays $4 million or $49 million is kind of small potatoes compared to the $965 million in damages the other case hit him with, which is certainly more money than he has. But it's still pretty cathartic to see that he came off as such a shithead in court that the judge is literally striking down a law just to make him pay out more.