Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

They're counting all the dead migrant workers they buried directly underneath the venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Usually the world cup is awarded to a country or countries with an order of magnitude greater population than the number of tickets, and you can sell cheap tickets to the general public to fill seats for matches with low travelling support.

a) travelling support is even worse than anticipated
b) full capacity for the tournament is about 3.3m, which is about 500k more than the entire population and 3m more than the number of actual Qatari citizens

Qatar has had serious issues with hotels and lodging for the World Cup, and also didn’t allow sensible alternative options like “allow people to commute from places like Dubai and Abu Dhabi that actually have hotels.” Even the logistics of this World Cup have been beyond hosed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

Qatar has had serious issues with hotels and lodging for the World Cup, and also didn’t allow sensible alternative options like “allow people to commute from places like Dubai and Abu Dhabi that actually have hotels.” Even the logistics of this World Cup have been beyond hosed.
I am currently doing some work for a guy who decided to go to the World Cup, and from what I've seen of his Instagram he's responded to every Qatar joke post one of his friends has made (price of beer etc etc etc) with "ugh" so it sounds like things are going wonderfully for him at the moment.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

harperdc posted:

Colleague of a friend is travelling to Wales matches but staying in Jordan, that's how hosed it is. If this wasn't all a big arab king dickwaving competition they could have had a more sensible (but still awful) tournament spread between various arab city states.

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020

hmm yeah that is impressive when you think about it

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dunno I've never been into a Muslim pizzeria

One of the best pizza places I have ever been to was one near my house when I lived in Brunswick, run by a Lebanese family, and everything they sold was Halal.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Qatar is a poo poo nation,

FIFA is poo poo.

murder thousands of people to have a soccer gently caress you

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Harald posted:

FIFA is poo poo.

and no-one even came

may as well have staged the entire world cup at that pitch in the faroe islands that's like atlantic ocean on three sides and a mountain on the other

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
So what is the reason we can't all just be like, hey guys fifa sucks, we're out. We're gonna make our own fifa, with blackjack, and hookers!

(But seriously why can't we just burn it all to the ground and start over?)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Harald posted:

FIFA is poo poo.

let's be fair to qat_ar: they would have murdered those thousands of people anyway

wait

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Colleague of a friend is travelling to Wales matches but staying in Jordan, that's how hosed it is. If this wasn't all a big arab king dickwaving competition they could have had a more sensible (but still awful) tournament spread between various arab city states.

They made Japan and Korea share one, lol. I think even the ‘white elephant’ stadiums in Japan are still being used occasionally (just for big matches in some cases, most became full-time J League homes). Having one majorly updated stadium in various countries and emirates in the area (along with spreading fan demands across multiple big cities) would probably have been better, but again, dick-swinging contest.

Same reason why 2026 is CUM - they wanted matches in Mexico City and Toronto as well.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It would literally be an improvement if Alex Jones broadcasted FIFA and referred to all the playerers as "goblins"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Harald posted:

FIFA is poo poo.

They don't even show up after their dumb rear end nation spent 200 billion loving dollars on stadia in the desert

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

dsriggs posted:

So how's the FIFA Fan Zone going?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFfZJTVSCF8

Oh... :ohdear:

Doo-dah... Doo-dah...

What's crowd control, precious?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Reek posted:

So what is the reason we can't all just be like, hey guys fifa sucks, we're out. We're gonna make our own fifa, with blackjack, and hookers!

Same reason you can't have a new major american football or baseball league. The existing structure is too powerful and will pull every lever it has to destroy you if you look like you'll be any kind of threat. All FIFA has to do to destroy any attempt to make a new global football org is to say any player who plays in one of their tournaments will be banned from any FIFA competition and lean on the member FAs to say the same.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Harald posted:

It would literally be an improvement if Alex Jones broadcasted FIFA and referred to all the playerers as "goblins"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

sticksy posted:

They don't even show up after their dumb rear end nation spent 200 billion loving dollars on stadia in the desert

There's literally not enough Qataris to fill the stadiums. Which is somehow even funnier and more farcical.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Reek posted:

Because anyone in any position of power in the global sport benefits from the existing structure, and all the people hurt by the mess that is this world cup are probably powerless anyways.

Oh, you are paying 200 bucks to stay in a container in the middle of the desert? Why should FIFA care?

And even in the case of someone who might lose some money, like Budweiser not being able to sell beer at the stadium, they are probably making more than that in free press alone from news stations covering that debacle.

I guarantee that the VVIP parties the rich Qataris were actually interested in are still happening, are still filled to the brim with models and celebs, and still have plenty of alcohol in them.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

You'd need a significant majority of the national FAs of major footballing countries to all coordinate to break away at once, which is probably really hard to do especially since plenty of them are corrupt as hell too.

It is theoretically possible if fifa continue to take the piss, and there is at least the benefit that if it did happen there would probably be broad public support for the move (unlike with the super league where everyone hated it)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It will never happen. Federations make money with national teams and have to rely on FIFA to get clubs to let their players get called up. Clubs hate having their players called up, but rely on FIFA to regulate international transfers. Regional confederations make money on continental tournaments and have the same issue as federations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

You'd need a significant majority of the national FAs of major footballing countries to all coordinate to break away at once, which is probably really hard to do especially since plenty of them are corrupt as hell too.

It is theoretically possible if fifa continue to take the piss, and there is at least the benefit that if it did happen there would probably be broad public support for the move (unlike with the super league where everyone hated it)

Also because politicians and business leaders in these countries don't give a poo poo and are much more likely to side with FIFA and their corrupt money than with football fans and players.

The Guardian had a good article this morning about just how deeply tied Qatar is to not just FIFA, but to Western countries and governments as well. Here are some highlights:

quote:

But there is something counter-productive and lopsided to the protests: the focus on the actions of sporting figures, players and even viewers seems off when Qatar only managed to manoeuvre itself into this prime position by soliciting the support of powerful states that have fast-tracked its passage into polite society. It is armed to the teeth by the UK, Europe and the US, and is a joint venturer in monumental, lucrative financial and real-estate transactions on European soil. The state of Qatar is the 10th largest landowner in Britain. Since it won the right to host the World Cup, it has been granted billions of pounds of weapons sales licences, including sophisticated surveillance equipment, by Britain.

There is a special relationship with London in particular, and it can be seen in the Westminster ledger of declared gifts. In the runup to the World Cup, the value of Qatar’s gifts to British MPs was greater than the amount spent by all the other 15 countries whose governments made donations to British MPs combined. The Conservative MP David Mundell, the first openly gay Tory cabinet minister, accepted hospitality worth £7,473 from Qatar, and then, in a parliamentary debate a few months later, in response to concern raised by another MP about LGBTQ+ rights in Qatar, said that Qatar’s critics should “focus their energies on the handling of LGBT issues in professional football in the UK”.

So yes, David Beckham should know better, but he is not making a massive leap into the political fringe. Qatar is not a pariah state – it exists in a global political system of western sponsors that have forged deep alliances with Gulf monarchies and extended them immunity. The country’s strong foundations are in its energy wealth, with the yield of gas exported across the world, including Europe, and its soft power is undergirded by strategically investing its surplus to forge titanium geopolitical links in and with the west.

And it is the strength of those links that means the buck has passed to us; and to footballers, coaches and their organising bodies, who have to take difficult questions, or make decisions about attendance, kits, what to say and what not to say. The message from governments, meanwhile, is loud and clear. “We should not politicise sport,” Emmanuel Macron said last week. What he really means is that Qatar (the recipient of French arms exports 25 times higher in 2017–21 than in 2012–16) is with the big boys. How, then, to hold any effective boycott or protest, with this sort of high-profile state protection?

Further weakening the hand of those now pushed to the frontline of Qatar criticism is the fact that the last Word Cup was held, with much less scrutiny, in Russia soon after the Skripal poisonings. The relative pass Russia, a country that hunts its dissidents and passed an anti-LGBTQ “gay propaganda” law, was given compared with the kicking Qatar is getting, makes it hard to argue that there isn’t a whiff of bias alongside the indignant good intentions. There is a sort of cultural gatekeeping at play here, where European countries with longer footballing heritages are seen as more legitimate than gauche Gulf upstarts with little historical connection to the sport. Not reckoning with past mistakes allows Qatar to position itself as a symbol of worldly progress, and hands the opportunity to cynics such as the Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, to claim that the country is being “bullied”.

There is also the vexing question of what constitutes a human rights violation so grave that it deserves a boycott. Is it, shall we say, running a large offshore prison that exists in a legal vacuum, where over the past 20 years, hundreds of prisoners have been dumped without a trial, and many tortured? Guantánamo Bay is not the same as systemically maltreating thousands of migrant workers – no two human rights abuses are the same. But these kind of differences are not always a matter of objective measurement, but of how successfully we have been sold narratives that inure us to some violations and sensitise us to others.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/nov/21/qatar-world-cup-british-double-standards-anger-gifts-property-arms-deals

If you're the FA or the French FA, for instance, and you say you'd like to go your own way, you're far more likely to get fired by the government and replaced by somebody who will play along than to actually get your way, because the British and French governments are in bed with Qatar and while the hurt of losing the 2018 World Cup, for instance, might sting, for the people in charge it's nothing compared to the potential threat of countries like Qatar turning off the spigot of overseas money.

Meanwhile FIFA itself has seen revenue increase by more than $1B from the Qatar World Cup thanks to lucrative sponsorships with Qatari companies.

Playing along with FIFA and the corrupt dictatorships it cozies up to is just more lucrative than the alternative, and when the chips are down people in positions of power frankly don't care about human rights except as a cudgel to use against their enemies, and Qatar and FIFA aren't their enemies.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

harperdc posted:

Apparently Qatar pissed off their neighbors enough to get their asses blockaded for a while, they're probably all pointing and laughing as what a shitshow this is.

Also Jesus Christ, kosher is basically halal's kissing cousin, why would you choose that hill to die on (it's because they're rich fuckers who have never been told no in their lives)

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Just a reminder that Saudi Arabia has a bid to host the 2030 WC. Long may the dickwaving continue!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Moktaro posted:

Apparently Qatar pissed off their neighbors enough to get their asses blockaded for a while, they're probably all pointing and laughing as what a shitshow this is.

Also Jesus Christ, kosher is basically halal's kissing cousin, why would you choose that hill to die on (it's because they're rich fuckers who have never been told no in their lives)

There's a long-but-good series on Tifo about this whole thing, how Qatar got the cup in the first place and the wider geopolitical dynamics in the background. Pissing off their neighbours and getting blockaded was about the same time Infantino and others were floating the idea of Qatar "sharing" the cup with its neighbours - wouldn't that be great for world peace and harmony!?! :laffo:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
You can tell the World Cup is great for world peace and harmony, just look at the benefits all across the region from the last one

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Big Black Dick posted:

Just a reminder that Saudi Arabia has a bid to host the 2030 WC. Long may the dickwaving continue!

Its a joint bid with Egypt (main host) & greece and would take place across three confederations and continents. It makes no earthly sense so it's definitely going to win.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its a joint bid with Egypt (main host) & greece and would take place across three confederations and continents. It makes no earthly sense so it's definitely going to win.

FIFA clearly doesn't give a gently caress about logistics besides how it impacts their bottom line so yeah, they'll be all over this idea.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

sticksy posted:

For me the more telling part about the Ecuador game was the way the stadium emptied very quickly once it became certain that Qatar was going to lose.

The opening match, in the first ever World Cup in the region, let alone the country. But the home fans can't be arsed to stay for the whole game.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Moktaro posted:

FIFA clearly doesn't give a gently caress about logistics besides how it impacts their bottom line so yeah, they'll be all over this idea.

They give a gently caress about infrastructure, and how many kickbacks can be squeezed out of projects.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Personally, I am hoping that Uruguay/Paraguay/Argentina/Chile bid wins. It would be great to have a CONMEBOL qualifier with 6 teams (Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia) for the remaining 2 slots.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Personally, I am hoping that Uruguay/Paraguay/Argentina/Chile bid wins. It would be great to have a CONMEBOL qualifier with 6 teams (Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Colombia) for the remaining 2 slots.

Joint bids are cool, and it's the perfect excuse I'd need to go back to South America.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
What's wrong with cheap whores and cocaine? Always brings me back

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I was thinking the other day that the 2026 CUM World Cup basically makes the CONCACAF qualifiers pointless, since they only get 3 spots anyway (4 if you include the 4th place play in game but it's not a guaranteed slot)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I was thinking the other day that the 2026 CUM World Cup basically makes the CONCACAF qualifiers pointless, since they only get 3 spots anyway (4 if you include the 4th place play in game but it's not a guaranteed slot)

CONCACAF is getting 6 slots straight away plus 2 spots for the playoffs for the last spots.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

2030 basically has to be in Uruguay for the centenary

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Congratulations, you've all but guaranteed that it will take place in the Seychelles because FIFA.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

joepinetree posted:

CONCACAF is getting 6 slots straight away plus 2 spots for the playoffs for the last spots.

good god

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Since people keep getting surprised, here's the number of slots per confederation for 2026

UEFA (Europe) | 16
CAF (Africa) | 9
AFC (Asia) | 8
CONCACAF (North America, Central America, and the Caribbean) | 6
CONMEBOL (South America) | 6
OFC (Oceania) | 1

Plus there will be a mini tournament for the last 2 slots. The mini tournament will have 1 team from Africa, one from Asia, one from Oceania, one from South America and 2 from CONCACAF

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

2030 basically has to be in Uruguay for the centenary

You'd think. But there is precedent with a similarly corrupt international sporting event.

1896 - First Modern Olympics in Athens.

But 1996 went to Atlanta, and 2000 was in Sydney. Athens had to wait 2 cycles before they could celebrate the centenary of something of both international and local importance, both historically and culturally.

You think FIFA is going to care more about the history of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
No artificial clouds, no artificial rainbows. Their commitment to scorching heat is commendable.