Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
PSA: if you are having performance issues, check the settings in the launcher and turn off NVIDIA latency boost or whatever it's called and set the worker threads to half of how many threads your CPU has in total (so if you have 24 threads, set it to 12). I did this and went from 60-110 fps to 100-160 fps. YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Dramicus posted:

PSA: if you are having performance issues, check the settings in the launcher and turn off NVIDIA latency boost or whatever it's called and set the worker threads to half of how many threads your CPU has in total (so if you have 24 threads, set it to 12). I did this and went from 60-110 fps to 100-160 fps. YMMV.

Man this is good because my 3090 i9900k system runs like poo poo on this game and I was like wtf

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dramicus posted:

Dropping the worker threads helped me as well. Guess I'll try disabling NVIDIA latency boost! Thanks for the heads up.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The NVIDIA thing may or may not help depending on your setup. I've got an AMD gpu and I figured it probably wasn't playing well with that setting. Lowering the number of used threads should be a universal benefit though.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm running a 5800X and 3090 on ultra-wide resolutions and whatever it set my video poo poo to and I'm at like 50-70FPS after changing those launcher settings. It seems to run not great

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Is there any reason for las weapons to be "Oh you have 70 ammo per clip BUT each shot akshully eats 3 teehee, do real-time maths to figure out how many shots you got left, Reject !" instead of, y'know, a loving normal ammo count that can be checked at a glimpse ?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm running a 5800X and 3090 on ultra-wide resolutions and whatever it set my video poo poo to and I'm at like 50-70FPS after changing those launcher settings. It seems to run not great

I've got a 5900x with a 6800xt with 32gb of 3200mhz ram, you should probably be getting better FPS than me. How much ram have you got and what speed is it?

Also: I've got a feeling that the game isn't culling assets. This is because FPS seems to mostly depend on what direction I look and not what's happening on screen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I unlocked the bolter for the veteran and my god its the loving best. The one I got is 15 rounds full auto + semi auto on ADS with damage bonus after staggering. At the end of supply run mission I was sitting at the end of the bridge at the Valkyrie wating for a teammate to cross and 3 maulers + another elite came to run across the bridge and I magdumped and killed all of them basically instantaenously. Can headshot crushers and wipe them out fast too. Its such an elite wiper that it really feels like it gives me a very distinct role in a fire team now. Very good weapon.

I tried using a couple of accatran lasguns but found them to be too weak compared to a braced autogun or regular lasgun. There were times I'd be dumping fire on volley into an elite and it just felt like it took too long compared to my other guns, which was disappointing because I was ready for it to rock. I guess it could have just been bad rolls too.

I also unlocked power sword and that + bolter makes me feel like ive got a very very good setup to head into my final levels with.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Kobal2 posted:

Is there any reason for las weapons to be "Oh you have 70 ammo per clip BUT each shot akshully eats 3 teehee, do real-time maths to figure out how many shots you got left, Reject !" instead of, y'know, a loving normal ammo count that can be checked at a glimpse ?

dumb lore nonsense. lasguns have different power settings and all lasguns have roughly the same ammo capacity but consume different amounts of ammo per shot to reflect that

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

LemonAIDS posted:

dumb lore nonsense. lasguns have different power settings and all lasguns have roughly the same ammo capacity but consume different amounts of ammo per shot to reflect that

That is indeed dumb nonsense. Hopefully mods can fix that poo poo eventually because UGH.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

Some energy weapons eat variable amounts of ammo based on how long you charge them, like the lucius and plasma gun. the accatran (best lasgun) is 1 round for 1 shot, worth getting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know other people have mentioned a "floatiness" to the fighting, where you make an attack and then there's like a beat, beat-and-a-half before the guy you decapitated drops dead. It's also loving me up with dogs, where I sidesteps the little shits and as near as I can see I very clearly pulled of the dodge, and then the servers says "lol" and pins me under the dog in a different part of the hallway. It makes these high risk disablers really tricky, because if I try to dodge something like a Mutie too fast it'll correct its course and catch me anyway!

This may have something to do with how I have to use a VPN to make the game think I live in Japan in order to get past the Backend Error.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There should be a random trait on Lasguns where taking fire damage causes you to regain ammo, cause one of the canon ways you can recharge a Lasgun battery is by sticking it in a fire for a while

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Got a pretty cool late patern lucius that charges faster the more you fire charge shots, which sort of shores up one of the weaknesses I had with the gun. Also it looks cool.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

There should be a random trait on Lasguns where taking fire damage causes you to regain ammo, cause one of the canon ways you can recharge a Lasgun battery is by sticking it in a fire for a while

I remember reading that too, but it's frowned upon. I also vaguely remember that they can be recharged by leaving them out in sunlight. Having tech like that makes a lot of sense for an empire that has to worry about supplying ammunition for billions of soldiers across billions of worlds. Probably cuts down on logistics needs by several factors.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I've got a 5900x with a 6800xt with 32gb of 3200mhz ram, you should probably be getting better FPS than me. How much ram have you got and what speed is it?

Also: I've got a feeling that the game isn't culling assets. This is because FPS seems to mostly depend on what direction I look and not what's happening on screen.

32gb at 3600

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ugh man this is really dumb, game is crashing almost every time I reach the end of a mission.

Edit: They really ought to give you at least partial reward if you drop from a mission, getting dropped just before loading the final ammo stash at the end of a mission really stinks.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 22, 2022

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
There's definitely a skill issue on my end, but there's no incentive for me to push to Malice while pugging. Either I get to feel capable at Uprising or it's team wiping at Malice within 5 minutes.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah I'll probably wait to max out my level and gear before pugging difficulty 3.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I finally started playing malice at level 25 and enjoyed it. Even completed a full grim run. Earlier today wiped at the end of an uprising run with a couple of level 1 people and I think a level 10 or so. Malice at least seems to have people level 15+ more regularly so skills are starting to come together and they generally seem to work as a team.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can only speak for myself, but there's just not much fun if I know I am going to complete a run successfully 9 out of every 10. That's why I like playing on slightly harder difficulties. The pacing also just seems... off the lower you go. Completely subjective, obviously, and I'm sure everyone has their threshold.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I found this game is kind of the opposite of what I'd expect matchmaking wise. I played like 4 games at 2 AM PST and you'd expect that to be really off with horrible loser teammates who do all the no-no things but instead I got matched up with 3 separate squads of high level pros that crushed every mission on malice difficulty. It ruled.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm only level 15 but pugging Malice has been a lot of fun, I feel like I have a more than half success rate and really I don't want to be winning every game but I'm weird like that.

Zealot main and just got my first chainsword and I've been using the stubby revolver. A lot of people hate this thing but man the revolver feels good, ammo issues notwithstanding. Things you shoot at actually die, which is more than I can say for most of the guns at my level.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jerkface posted:

I found this game is kind of the opposite of what I'd expect matchmaking wise. I played like 4 games at 2 AM PST and you'd expect that to be really off with horrible loser teammates who do all the no-no things but instead I got matched up with 3 separate squads of high level pros that crushed every mission on malice difficulty. It ruled.

It was the same in verm. Off hours ensures you only play with obsessive weirdos like us

Orv
May 4, 2011
Having now leveled some of every class I start doing Malice at 10 and have probably an 85% success rate at pugging it. Obviously there’s always the threat of some doofus who won’t pay attention to pings or heal or charges headlong into hordes and stands still swinging but I’ve found way more competent teammates than not.

I’d say about 5% of my failed pug Malice runs are due to a definite, critical mistake on someone’s part and the other 10% are your classic “No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die” director moments where it’s five specials, two hordes and a miniboss o’clock, coming after like eighty ranged enemies that just wore down your resources. Though even those can sometimes be saved on malice with randos.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Orv posted:

In the End Times, the sunsetting event for Fantasy before they realized that was dumb and where Vermintide and a handful of other games are set, the Skaven built (found?) a space phone and prank called the 40k Eldar.

Then they blew it up.

In total warhammer one of the lizardmen leaders has a robot hand that shoots energy blasts he found, and in the latest expansion with the realm of chaos you can find chainswords in Khorne's realm and all the demon factions have soulgrinders that are mechademons that clearly look like they are from the 40k setting, existing outside time and all that.

marshmallow creep posted:

I know other people have mentioned a "floatiness" to the fighting, where you make an attack and then there's like a beat, beat-and-a-half before the guy you decapitated drops dead. It's also loving me up with dogs, where I sidesteps the little shits and as near as I can see I very clearly pulled of the dodge, and then the servers says "lol" and pins me under the dog in a different part of the hallway. It makes these high risk disablers really tricky, because if I try to dodge something like a Mutie too fast it'll correct its course and catch me anyway!

This may have something to do with how I have to use a VPN to make the game think I live in Japan in order to get past the Backend Error.

You can go into Video settings and turn the max ragdoll setting all the way down if you find yourself wondering if something is dead or not a lot after you hit it, though this will cause enemies to just pop out of existence in front of you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

For what it’s worth for me the floatiness to combat is not the norm, it only occurs when the server is clearly under stress. High ping presumably has the same effect.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

In total warhammer one of the lizardmen leaders has a robot hand that shoots energy blasts he found, and in the latest expansion with the realm of chaos you can find chainswords in Khorne's realm and all the demon factions have soulgrinders that are mechademons that clearly look like they are from the 40k setting, existing outside time and all that.

Incredible. :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just cleaved a Mutant in two as he was charging me with an eviscirator. Revved it up as I heard him coming, dodged and heavy horizontal swing at the same time. It was beautiful. Game owns.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Khizan posted:

The skaven are the best.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Ugh man this is really dumb, game is crashing almost every time I reach the end of a mission.

Edit: They really ought to give you at least partial reward if you drop from a mission, getting dropped just before loading the final ammo stash at the end of a mission really stinks.

Hey it appears I did get the reward for this mission. Not sure if I just got lucky or they actually do give you the payout if you drop out just near the end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Popete posted:

Hey it appears I did get the reward for this mission. Not sure if I just got lucky or they actually do give you the payout if you drop out just near the end.

I've had mission rewards get lost in the wash as it were for a while sometimes, probably the server stuff again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Internet Explorer posted:

I just cleaved a Mutant in two as he was charging me with an eviscirator. Revved it up as I heard him coming, dodged and heavy horizontal swing at the same time. It was beautiful. Game owns.

the armory refuses to roll these for me :argh:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sort of a shame fatshark hasn't come up with a way to make experience worthwhile above max level like a lot of games have, especially if they are putting +exp as a random trait on trinkets that eventually becomes obsolete.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its an extremely solved problem in game design but vt2 had leveling be basically a very tedious formality you went thru before you threw all your gear into a fire and got into the actual leveling mechanic, farming red gear. i dont know why they brought it over to darktide.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I know I'm far from the first to complain about this but I have no goddamn clue what the weapon stats are supposed to be communicating just that whatever it is its unrelated to the actual weapon performance.

I've got a gray lasgun with a 164 rating and identical model green lasgun with a 174 rating and +10% dmg against carapace. The bar charts seem identical or close enough. Everything about this seems to be communicating the green version is better but I take them to the practice room and the gray gun does 10 points more damage even against carapace. The whole thing is bafflingly obtuse.

Also I've generally had good experiences with my fellow randos but just had the weirdest experience. Auspex scanning mission and none of the rest of the team would do any scanning. One was a lvl 3 player so maybe didn't know what was happening but the other two were lvl 10 and surely had to have done this before. I could maybe understand if they were running interference for me while I scanned but they all just ran off and killed things. I even got dc'd for a few minutes, reconnected and they still weren't scanning. Somehow I got everything scanned and we got through it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Man I had an auspex scan mission just like that.

I'm only level 10 but the mark v axe, the one with the fifth stat saying cleave is easily the best melee so far..

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I tried force sword again, the difference between a 250 number and a 350 number is kinda huge actually when it comes to the bar graph apparently, all the bars were larger and it went from needing 35 peril to charge up the super attack it instead only took around 10.

I don't think it's a great idea to have the basic functionality of how a weapon handles and operates feel so lovely until you grind to max level, wouldn't hurt to have more variety unlock faster too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm starting to believe the bars are only comparable between the same weapon type and that actually the axis between different weapons bars have completely different starting points

Estel
May 4, 2010
That is exactly how it works and why everyone makes fun of the bars.

Estel fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

this game sucks. i'm going to play it for 500 hours as a joke