Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Buttchocks posted:

Can they repossess a grave?

they'll probably get stiffed on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Cult update: I found out there's an even more exclusive invitation-only Society that oversees a lot of the influencer-type poo poo within the company, including the government bribe committee. They even have an emblem, and it no poo poo looks like manifisto's av. ok, not really, but it looks exactly like what someone deliberately designing a cult emblem would come up with. I'm keeping an eye out for signet rings now.

Escape From Noise

Buttchocks posted:

Cult update: I found out there's an even more exclusive invitation-only Society that oversees a lot of the influencer-type poo poo within the company, including the government bribe committee. They even have an emblem, and it no poo poo looks like manifisto's av. ok, not really, but it looks exactly like what someone deliberately designing a cult emblem would come up with. I'm keeping an eye out for signet rings now.

Oh poo poo. Sign of the Goat? With ring?

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
I gotta work back late, to maybe 9pm, to help out and I am so tired goons :dogge:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Chewbecca

8am to 9pm lol, toime for woine :cheersbird:

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

xcheopis

Chewbecca posted:

Are you feeling better?

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Chewbecca posted:

As has been mentioned before, do not do this often because it is not good for your health. Your health and wellbeing are worth more than the corporate bottom line and it is not your responsibility to harm yourself for their profit. If they get shirty then quote the World Health Organisation at them
https://www.who.int/news/item/17-05-2021-long-working-hours-increasing-deaths-from-heart-disease-and-stroke-who-ilo and ask them if their intention is to deliberately increase your risk of heart disease and stroke, or if they just were not aware that there is a high correlation between long working hours and increased risk of serious health issues.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
also punch em in the tits

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

Finger Prince

Dr. Honked posted:

____________\___________
(also punch em in the tits)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 18, 2022

Finger Prince

I would rather work 12 hour shifts and have more days off than 8 hour shifts and work Monday-Friday. Mon-Fri, with just 2 days off (which are also the busiest days to do anything because everyone else has them off) is the worst shift pattern.

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(
I was more talking about the Mon-Fri jobs where they end up asking you to do 12 hours a day but for no extra pay and no time off in lieu. So worst of both worlds, long hours plus the worst days off if you want to get things done

In Europe it's against the law to demand workers work more than 48 hours in week (varies by nation)
In the US Elon is demanding Twitter workers do 80 hours a week and like it
One of these is not tenable

xcheopis

NumptyScrub posted:

I was more talking about the Mon-Fri jobs where they end up asking you to do 12 hours a day but for no extra pay and no time off in lieu. So worst of both worlds, long hours plus the worst days off if you want to get things done

In Europe it's against the law to demand workers work more than 48 hours in week (varies by nation)
In the US Elon is demanding Twitter workers do 80 hours a week and like it
One of these is not tenable

He can demand all he wants.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Heather Papps

hello friend

once i worked an eight hour shift at a siding/aluminum place, and then we closed shop at 6, and started counting inventory till about 1 in the morning where i was no longer capable of keeping track of numbers.

it was touted as a way to not have to close shop but the counts must have been absolutely hosed so what even is the benefit.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Finger Prince posted:

I would rather work 12 hour shifts and have more days off than 8 hour shifts and work Monday-Friday. Mon-Fri, with just 2 days off (which are also the busiest days to do anything because everyone else has them off) is the worst shift pattern.

4 10-hour shifts is the key, imo
I worked 12 hour shifts in a factory and it wasn't as cool as it sounded, but maybe that's because of the work itself. That first day off was a waste cause I was always so burned out when it came, and going back to work was so dreadful that it made the final day kind of bittersweet.

fuckajob though.
and screw the weekend days. Nobody wants to be off together with all 300,000 other people in the city, especially when you can't really get any appointment stuff done.

Soapyshoes

I will set each and every one of you on fire.
When are we gonna get the 4 day work week

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
my work was thinking about 4 day weeks, but we got acquired by another company. that conversation may start again at some point. it could make a lot of sense for a 100% remote computer touching job as long as we could sync with clients properly

barclayed

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
i have a uti and my kidneys hurt but god drat am i getting these hours in. love capitalism.

"What I wouldn't give to return to those halcyon days."

Finger Prince

Sarah Cenia posted:

4 10-hour shifts is the key, imo
I worked 12 hour shifts in a factory and it wasn't as cool as it sounded, but maybe that's because of the work itself. That first day off was a waste cause I was always so burned out when it came, and going back to work was so dreadful that it made the final day kind of bittersweet.

fuckajob though.
and screw the weekend days. Nobody wants to be off together with all 300,000 other people in the city, especially when you can't really get any appointment stuff done.

4x3, 10 hours is a sweet spot for sure. I worked that for a little over a year, splitting weekends with my colleague. Trouble is it's too good and the overlords think you're getting too good a deal for it to last. 12 hour factory work would be rough. My favourite shift was 3x3. Never at work long enough for it to drag, enough time off in between to spend an entire day loving about and still have time to get poo poo done. 4x4 is also good but difficult to align with normal people if you have normal people in your life.

Escape From Noise

I miss working four tens. That was a sweet schedule.

Soapyshoes

In some ways I'm really grateful that I have a nice, stable schedule since I've worked food service before and your days would change all the goddamn time. Shifts would change, close one day, open the next. Terrible poo poo.

But as I get older, even my stable mon-fri 7:30 to 4 job still takes too much from me. If I take vacation, I spend most of it resting. However I am typing this on my work computer which, if the IT cops are watching here is a message for you: I love capitalism and I love working. MMMmmm I love being in pain due to my job. It rules

more falafel please

forums poster

geordi no: 4 10s
geordi yes: 4 8s

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

more falafel please posted:

geordi no: 4 10s
geordi yes: 4 8s

:hmmyes: I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

more falafel please

forums poster

on tuesday our client (our team is embedded in theirs, a co-dev situation) had a cryptic all-hands meeting without us, after which a bunch of meetings got cancelled and all of them set their slack status to "away". we got some cryptic message about "giving people some time back before the holiday break" and "emergent product strategy updates" which obviously means the project was cancelled. thursday there was a "check-in" meeting scheduled only to be cancelled 30 min beforehand.

today my company's side of things called a meeting, the gist of which was "we don't know the details, but........... things are changing"

anyway they gave us all of next week off (i had taken it off anyway but now it's free) so gently caress it, i took an edible at 2:30

more falafel please

forums poster

to be clear this absolutely does not affect my job, we're most likely just going to get redeployed at this client, and honestly it'd be great to get redeployed Somewhere Else

xcheopis

more falafel please posted:

to be clear this absolutely does not affect my job, we're most likely just going to get redeployed at this client, and honestly it'd be great to get redeployed Somewhere Else

Enjoy your week off, too! :yayclod:

Soapyshoes

Mmmm edible

Chewbecca

xcheopis posted:

Are you feeling better?

Better than I was but not great lol

NumptyScrub posted:

As has been mentioned before, do not do this often because it is not good for your health. Your health and wellbeing are worth more than the corporate bottom line and it is not your responsibility to harm yourself for their profit. If they get shirty then quote the World Health Organisation at them
https://www.who.int/news/item/17-05-2021-long-working-hours-increasing-deaths-from-heart-disease-and-stroke-who-ilo and ask them if their intention is to deliberately increase your risk of heart disease and stroke, or if they just were not aware that there is a high correlation between long working hours and increased risk of serious health issues.

Yeah this shouldn't be a regular thing hopefully. This is supposed to be an 8 to 4 jo, but a colleague tricked me by essentially saying "can you help this guy out. It has to be over Zoom cos he has flown home". She buried the lede by not telling he flew to another frigging timezone :rolleyes:

I am also annoyed cos there is no overtime or flex leave, but I sm gonna leave early ine day next week to make up for it

Chewbecca

Soapyshoes posted:

In some ways I'm really grateful that I have a nice, stable schedule since I've worked food service before and your days would change all the goddamn time. Shifts would change, close one day, open the next. Terrible poo poo.

But as I get older, even my stable mon-fri 7:30 to 4 job still takes too much from me. If I take vacation, I spend most of it resting. However I am typing this on my work computer which, if the IT cops are watching here is a message for you: I love capitalism and I love working. MMMmmm I love being in pain due to my job. It rules

In my last job I worked part time (4 days a week). I went back to full-time for this jon and real talk its killing meeeeeee

Working 40 hours is not natural and I hate it lol

xcheopis

Chewbecca posted:

Better than I was but not great lol

Yeah this shouldn't be a regular thing hopefully. This is supposed to be an 8 to 4 jo, but a colleague tricked me by essentially saying "can you help this guy out. It has to be over Zoom cos he has flown home". She buried the lede by not telling he flew to another frigging timezone :rolleyes:

I am also annoyed cos there is no overtime or flex leave, but I sm gonna leave early ine day next week to make up for it

Yeah, if they're gonna try for wage theft, steal that right back from them.

Chewbecca

There's a lot of that kind of....low key shenanigans at this job. People forwarding me stuff to do without giving me all the information so it turns out they are handing me a super complicated thing they cant be bothered to deal with. As the newest person I am a super easy mark

People can be super disappointing sometimes :sigh:

Soapyshoes

Chewbecca posted:

Working 40 hours is not natural and I hate it lol

We Were Never Meant To Live This Way

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
i could totally work a cubicle data entry job if that was a thing that still existed and if I never had to do any type of customer service again

how do I work from home and never serve customers in any way, shape or form again

Soapyshoes

My dream is to work from home, making crafty poo poo I can sell on Etsy. Right now my current infatuation is rug tufting

Soapyshoes

Anyway I'm at work and I have a break so I'm working on a blog post, and doing a bit of work on my comic

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Soapyshoes posted:

My dream is to work from home, making crafty poo poo I can sell on Etsy. Right now my current infatuation is rug tufting

Hello fellow yarn toucher

Etsy can go to hell but gently caress yes making things forever

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
make things. make comics, make rugs, make doots. heckin yes

Finger Prince

Dr. Honked posted:

make things. make comics, make rugs, make doots. heckin yes

Make posts

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag

a bold and controversial take - i like it. you're hired

emSparkly

I'm open to interpretation!
Staying past the end of your shift for an hour because you need to give an 80 year old instructions on how to configure an email client over the phone is not a fate I would wish upon my worst enemy. My labor is worth more than this.

I am a patient they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

emSparkly posted:

Staying past the end of your shift for an hour because you need to give an 80 year old instructions on how to configure an email client over the phone is not a fate I would wish upon my worst enemy. My labor is worth more than this.

oofa doofa I used to do this for a living, tier 1 university tech support. trying to help 80 yo emeritus professors who "think they have a eudora" navigate blackboard, etc

one thing I learned is that apple was right, most people are not ready for a second mouse button. if you tell people to right click something you have to explain how to right click, and from then on every time you tell them to click something they'll ask you which one