Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

acksplode posted:

It's just a lovely input, it feels viscerally bad to use. There's a reason games use it as a last resort. You're pressing one end of a stick with the base on a hinge so you have to stabilize it to make sure you're pressing downward and not wiggling. You have to slightly adjust how hard and/or where you press if the stick is neutral vs tilted. And it always feels like I'm putting stress on a sensitive component. Contrast with the joy of pressing a simple button. There's only one way to press a button and it's effortless and it feels like that's what it was made for. Click L3 slowly, feel how many muscles have to get involved, how tight your grip gets, the way the stick mushily travels a millimeter before registering the input. Then try pressing a direction on the dpad and feel the difference in your hand. It's maybe subtle, but after enough ashen muscle dad hustle it can add up to a hand cramp. A shameful input, it shall soon be consigned to the trash heap of history. The age of the back button draws near.

:same: but jerking off with my left hand vs my right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I like skillup because he was the only reviewer who (methodically and articulately) called out Deathloop for being a pile of poo poo when it released.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Clicking L3 like a button is no big deal, but in the rare instance where a game asks you to hold it down while also manipulating the direction, it can be annoying.

The only instance I can think of is Proteus asking you to hold L3 to sprint by default, and that was easy enough to rebind. Can't think of a single other time it bugged me.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I like how HFW spoils the entire plot of HZD in the intro except for one juicy tidbit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

It's just a lovely input, it feels viscerally bad to use. There's a reason games use it as a last resort. You're pressing one end of a stick with the base on a hinge so you have to stabilize it to make sure you're pressing downward and not wiggling. You have to slightly adjust how hard and/or where you press if the stick is neutral vs tilted. And it always feels like I'm putting stress on a sensitive component. Contrast with the joy of pressing a simple button. There's only one way to press a button and it's effortless and it feels like that's what it was made for. Click L3 slowly, feel how many muscles have to get involved, how tight your grip gets, the way the stick mushily travels a millimeter before registering the input. Then try pressing a direction on the dpad and feel the difference in your hand. It's maybe subtle, but after enough ashen muscle dad hustle it can add up to a hand cramp. A shameful input, it shall soon be consigned to the trash heap of history. The age of the back button draws near.

I just don’t really agree with this, I guess! I have never had any problem using them, they feel fine on my hand muscles, and I would much, much rather use L3 to sprint in a game than waste another input on it. You wouldn’t wanna be tapping it over and over, absolutely, but I’d be first in line to mock any lunatic who made a control scheme where that was necessary. But for normal use, I’ve been using R3 in Ragnarok constantly for finishing moves and it’s felt completely fine.

I do like back buttons very much but not enough to buy a £210 controller for them

e: well, not holding L3 to sprint like Bugblatter is talking about. that’s just awful!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like Control might've had sprint as an L3 toggle but definitely not a button to keep pressing, yikes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

You wouldn’t wanna be tapping it over and over,

e: well, not holding L3 to sprint like Bugblatter is talking about. that’s just awful!

Great button, just sucks at tapping over and over and holding, the two things buttons are for.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t fully understand this opinion. I’ve never had any issue pressing L3 or R3. Occasional accidental presses of them only happen once in a blue moon. What is there to hate about them? (other than it’s a controller invention post-1992 :v:)

Maybe I have cursed thumbs or whatever, but accidental presses are common for me, also for high intensity games that use the L3 button for common functions like running and crouching using L3/R3 all the time causes major handcramps.

This has pretty much been an issue for me for like 20 years, but much more since gen 7 games started using those buttons on the reg

Escobarbarian posted:

I do like back buttons very much but not enough to buy a £210 controller for them

Too late! I already spent the moneyyysssss :homebrew:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don’t mind repeatedly tapping L3, it’s just holding it that’s annoying. For the same reason that I don’t want to use the d-pad for anything except quick taps in most games. I’m gonna want to reposition myself before the long press is done, and it’s hard to do both. Stop moving for a second to tap, no problem.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haha hell yes, Broforce is getting a title update in 2023: "...with Devovler simply saying Broforce Forever will be “the Biggest Update to Broforce Yet,” and will feature “new Bros, new missions” and, most importantly of all, “new freedoms.”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Great button, just sucks at tapping over and over and holding, the two things buttons are for.

We both know you misread my post on purpose here.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

We both know you misread my post on purpose here.

I saw the part where you said you wouldn't want to press the button over and over or hold it. That's kind of my point here. L3/R3 are different from other buttons in that regard, because they suck.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

part of a letter sent to all devs regarding shovelware, plat farming and reskinned spam games gonna start getting shadowbanned

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But I really do think it’s perfect for pressing once to turn sprint on, or pressing to turn crouch on/off. Just because I don’t think it should be used the same way as regular buttons doesn’t mean I don’t they aren’t good or serve a good purpose, y’know?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like it as a sprint toggle or witcher vision/loot vision/whatever

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, L3 and R3 are perfect for quick toggle buttons.

Sprint, crouch, lock on, vision mode. Any kinda toggle is a perfect fit.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

But I really do think it’s perfect for pressing once to turn sprint on, or pressing to turn crouch on/off. Just because I don’t think it should be used the same way as regular buttons doesn’t mean I don’t they aren’t good or serve a good purpose, y’know?

It sounds like you're defending buttons that Sony put on your elbows. What if instead there were buttons that you could comfortably press occasionally, or even sometimes, or perhaps a lot? Hold them, dare I say? And what if they were on the back? This is the radical idea I propose. Maybe the world isn't yet ready to hear the good news. But the age of the back button draws near without regard for the ignorant.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

It sounds like you're defending buttons that Sony put on your elbows. What if instead there were buttons that you could comfortably press occasionally, or even sometimes, or perhaps a lot? Hold them, dare I say? And what if they were on the back? This is the radical idea I propose. Maybe the world isn't yet ready to hear the good news. But the age of the back button draws near without regard for the ignorant.

Sounds like dangerous thinking, brother

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

part of a letter sent to all devs regarding shovelware, plat farming and reskinned spam games gonna start getting shadowbanned

lmao rip gilson b. pontes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

I personally would rather use back buttons for other things if I had them and keep L3 and R3 as they are

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I personally would rather use back buttons for other things if I had them and keep L3 and R3 as they are

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, DO NOT SAY SUCH THINNNNNGS! :supaburn:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’d probably use the back putting in place of face buttons, so my fingers have to leave the sticks left often. Like putting Sekiro or Elden Ring’s sprint on a back button would be good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

I’d probably use the back putting in place of face buttons, so my fingers have to leave the sticks left often. Like putting Sekiro or Elden Ring’s sprint on a back button would be good.

Yeah same. Or someone in a conversation the other week suggested using them for combos which could be cool

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t fully understand this opinion. I’ve never had any issue pressing L3 or R3. Occasional accidental presses of them only happen once in a blue moon. What is there to hate about them? (other than it’s a controller invention post-1992 :v:)

I play a lot of online shooters and R3 is my bane. A non insignificant amount of the time another player will pop out of nowhere and mildly startle me just enough to accidentally punch the air while I'm getting shot in the face. Plus L3/R3 just don't feel good to push. I'm mostly fine with L3 for running since at least it's a toggle in almost every game now. R3 for melee is one of the crappiest things modern game do though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sprint should be the default speed and it should be infinite in all games

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Sprint should be the default speed and it should be infinite in all games

Seriously. We have analogue sticks just set the furthest tilt to be sprinting and anyone who wants to walk slower because ~~immersion~~ or whatever can just tilt it less.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly how often are people not just going almost full tilt on the left analog stick though?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Seriously. We have analogue sticks just set the furthest tilt to be sprinting and anyone who wants to walk slower because ~~immersion~~ or whatever can just tilt it less.

This only works if your game does not need a sprint function.

The point of sprint is to give you a great boost of speed but it comes at the expense of something else like not being able to block or attack. This is important thing to balance in many games especially in multiplayer.

If you don't have a sprint on a separate button you are just going to accidentally sprint all the time

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
In my experience L3 and R3 aren't comparable as buttons, having to hold or repeatedly press them doesn't feel great and also interferes with the motion on the sticks a little, in a way that might not be significant enough to be detrimental to control but does still feel a little clunky. And there can be a bit of vertical travel in the sticks, that's true, and that doesn't feel great either.

They're mostly useful as an input that you can access without letting go of the analogue stick or that you use in conjunction with the analogue stick, like moving into sprinting, a melee attack, or maybe as a lock-on control. It works well enough for this kind of thing, but that's not the same as saying it works well, the same function on any other button feels more responsive.

For example, one of the control scheme changes I've tried for Rocket League was putting the camera toggle on L3 to try and free up a couple of the face buttons, and because you're almost never leaving the left stick it seemed convenient. It really never felt good and I've put that down to trying to make specific movements and also click the stick at the same time. It feels slower snd clunky, while on a button it's a very snappy click-off click-on input. I've spent time learning some other control scheme changes as the default controls are widely considered to be awful, and this one change I just couldn't get along with.

Give me back buttons. Actually, give me back buttons that are another independent input I can bind to whatever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Oops

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

:same:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

acksplode posted:

And it always feels like I'm putting stress on a sensitive component.

yeah, a bone component

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
L3 and R3 should just be more shoulder buttons.
L4 and R4 too.

Then L5 to sprint

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I don't want to overthink this too much, but put me down as someone who doesn't like pressing L/R3. It's fine if it happens occasionally, to bring up a menu or whatever, but if you have to press it all the time to run a bit faster it becomes annoying.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
L3 and R3 aren’t great, but backpaddles are madness.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Plague Tale Requiem is definitely running way better since the optimization patch, and from what I can tell the haptics have been expanded, too. Glad I waited a few weeks to pick it back up.

Now, let's see what kinds of disgusting sludge I can wade through :nice:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Now, let's see what kinds of disgusting sludge I can wade through :nice:

Turn on your monitor and get out of the pan of water

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Not everyone has the fine control to prevent clicking a stick during an action game. Sure am glad many of ya'lls prime specimens a perfect health but thems what got a tremor or different levels of dextrous hands also deserve to have fun with games they want to play too.

That being said, no method of control is perfect, but I like to think that allowing as many people as possible to physically perform the actions required to play would be sort of an ideal.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I have accidentally clicked L3 and R3 before, it's annoying. destroy anything that stands between me and the Purity of Gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
GoW has L3 as sprint and R3 as lock-on, and both to trigger rage mode, so I was constantly trying to turn, lock onto a new enemy and sprint towards them only to rage out on accident