Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Really anything with Kwannon/Revanche/Psylocke has been pretty terrible and reads more like a fanfic.

Hellions was the best of the early Krakoa-era books and she was a main character there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, and I give Excalibur a lot of poo poo, but the arc with Betsy and Kwannon working together -- I think it was around issue 15 -- was really great. I'd read a book about those two.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah they've been handled really well in Excalibur and Hellions. As mentioned, the team up issue with them was great and I think finally put a nice cap on their relationship.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

zelah posted:

Preface: I’ve got some back knowledge of x-stuff but never really followed too closely.

Now that some time has passed and I’m 1/4 of the way through the house of/powers of X book, what’s my best bet going forward?

Are the Dawn of X tpbs pretty good or should I just buy a volume or two to see which individual books to look at going forward instead?

i would say the dawn of x trades are a good way to read everything in the right order, just skip past the issues of the bad books

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
x-corp had a great premise and a great cast but it wasn't actually good at all. the entire short run consisted of the team publicly failing over and over in surprisingly non-comedic ways.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fallen Angels made a lot more sense when I learned the writer for it was like the Lead Story Guy for the tv show Titans

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Post-Claremont started! We're really kicking off the 90s edginess by killing off most of the Hellions without much thought huh? That's something alright..

Also, X-Factor just comes out of the gate written like nothing else in the X-line at the time It really feels like the odd man out, in a good way. I can see why Peter David went for the PI angle later with X-Factor investigations, feels like that woulda been the natural direction in time anyway. Polaris, Madrox and Guido could have been cardboard cut-outs as characters before being injected with personalities for this series. And goddamn Pietro is just such a delightful little poo poo already. The Thing just casually telling people that Lockjaw was a deformed inhuman because he was pranked into believing it had me dying

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 22, 2022

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

hope and vaseline posted:

The Thing just casually telling people that Lockjaw was a deformed inhuman because he was pranked into believing it had me dying

If I remember correctly, this was PAD retconning what was at the time Lockjaw's origin. At some point someone decided that it was a good idea to make him a deformed Inhuman. PAD set it back to the original inhuman dog.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The sole comic (to my knowledge) where Lockjaw speaks is an issue of The Thing, but it's not the scene Pietro recaps and changes the context of the X-Factor scene significantly:

Thing #3 (John Byrne & Ron Wilson)

X-Factor #71

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Shows how little I know of the Inhumans before the 2000s I guess, thanks for the re-contextualization!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-inhumans-lockjaw-person-or-pet/

Per PAD, the joke thing was in response to Byrne's retcon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-inhumans-lockjaw-person-or-pet/

Per PAD, the joke thing was in response to Byrne's retcon.

I know the big thing was "The Inhumans wouldn't treat somebody like a pet!" which is what basically what PAD was walking back Byrne was saying they did with Lockjaw and that's weird to say the least but that means you're pointedly ignoring like, the entire Alpha Primitives which is their literal slave race so it's not that far-fetched.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

x-corp had a great premise and a great cast but it wasn't actually good at all. the entire short run consisted of the team publicly failing over and over in surprisingly non-comedic ways.
Any chance that this was a subtle point about how the wealthy and powerful and their businesses work or is that too much to hope for?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

zelah posted:

Preface: I’ve got some back knowledge of x-stuff but never really followed too closely.

Now that some time has passed and I’m 1/4 of the way through the house of/powers of X book, what’s my best bet going forward?

Are the Dawn of X tpbs pretty good or should I just buy a volume or two to see which individual books to look at going forward instead?

As other's have already said, it's dealer's choice. As a general rule, anything with Hickman's name will feed to one extent or another into the larger story, so X-Men and New Mutants are worth reading. The latter alternates between a Hickman story and a Brisson story at first, and after they conclude Ayala takes over for what I think is an even stronger run. Excalibur works as a lead-up to the the first X-Men crossover, X of Swords, but isn't strictly required and is one of the more divisive series, though I liked it after binging it on Unlimited. Marauders by Duggan is another stand-out in the first wave of books, and is great up until he moves from that book to replace Hickman as the X-Men writer. Fallen Angels is one everyone agrees should be avoided, including the book's writer who admitted to getting the characterization of multiple characters wrong.

In the second wave of books, Hellions, Cable, and X-Factor are all well regarded. There is also a series of Giant Sized one shots by Hickman that tell a loose overarching story. Hickman also pens an X-Men: Empyre tie-in that is fun, though non-essential. The X-Men/Fantastic Four miniseries is also really good, but is almost immediately ruined by a retcon in the Fantastic Four comic, so sadly also not essential.

Then X of Swords kicks off and winds through all of the X books. Probably best to get the collection for that, or read through on Unlimited. That's where the Dawn of X trades end and the Reign of X kicks off, so you can probably come back to the thread for further recommendations. In general, though, you won't go wrong following whatever writers you've already been enjoying, either on their current series or following them into new ones.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

In the second wave of books, Hellions, Cable, and X-Factor are all well regarded. There is also a series of Giant Sized one shots by Hickman that tell a loose overarching story. Hickman also pens an X-Men: Empyre tie-in that is fun, though non-essential. The X-Men/Fantastic Four miniseries is also really good, but is almost immediately ruined by a retcon in the Fantastic Four comic, so sadly also not essential.

That's a good summary. Don't forget Ewing's SWORD, though. Extremely good and feeding directly into his follow-up X-Men Red.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

That's a good summary. Don't forget Ewing's SWORD, though. Extremely good and feeding directly into his follow-up X-Men Red.

Left that out because it comes after X of Swords, and spins directly out of the event. That said, of the new books that start in Reign of X, it's my number one recommendation. Ewing is one of the best writers at Marvel right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

Left that out because it comes after X of Swords, and spins directly out of the event.

Oh, I got my timeline of events mixed up.

glitchwraith posted:

Ewing is one of the best writers at Marvel right now.

:emptyquote:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cable was surprisingly good. Mini series that’s before and after X of Swords.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I miss Teen Cable. That was such a fun series.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm Ben Percy's biggest hater but I do like seeing Maverick recur as a Krakoa-unaffiliated mutant, and Sage and Omega Red are developing a nice Hellions-esque "unhappy people looking out for eachother" dynamic

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, is no one going to discuss what just happened in this week's X-Men? There's two Lauras walking about now! And I mean, at some point there was also Old Man Logan and regular Logan and that wasn't a good idea then and still isn't now. It just dilutes the character

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, is no one going to discuss what just happened in this week's X-Men? There's two Lauras walking about now! And I mean, at some point there was also Old Man Logan and regular Logan and that wasn't a good idea then and still isn't now. It just dilutes the character

I think it finally addresses some questions that the whole Krakoa Era raised and I'm here for it

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I think it finally addresses some questions that the whole Krakoa Era raised and I'm here for it

That was the point of the way too short lived X-Factor from Leah Williams. Can’t ressurect without confirming death so yeah, it’ll be great to see the fallout.

Also: I love a woman with a grey streak in her hair.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Saoshyant posted:

I'm glad Synch can be happy.

Also, did the ending imply that e-Darwin (or some of him) hitchhiked back with Forge?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
something tagged along, at least.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Given that the vault lady said “ I wanna see what happens” and Vault Darwin said “I wanna see what happens” I think it’s safe to assume that something from the vault has infected Krakoa through Forge

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
At this point after X-Force I'm honestly curious why the next big X-Men event is about Sinister and not "The terrible house of cards Hank McCoy has built falling down all at once"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Saoshyant posted:

I'm generally not super duper down with "wait and see" as a lifestyle choice (which, again, is part of why I'm mostly just annoyed by the Hank McCoy stuff) (and, frankly, a lot of Hickman's oeuvre), but I think the X-office has earned the benefit of the doubt on this particular long-running plot, at least, so I'm interested to see where they go with it. However good or bad the end result might be, it doesn't feel like a choice that they're treating frivolously.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 24, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

At this point after X-Force I'm honestly curious why the next big X-Men event is about Sinister and not "The terrible house of cards Hank McCoy has built falling down all at once"

Because none of the other X-writers care about that. When was the last time you saw Beast outside of a Percy book?

I think everyone is just ignoring it until the chance comes along to write the Beast everyone likes instead of the character that Percy has turned him into.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Well you can make an event around your best character or around one that everyone loving hates (but not in a good way). I wonder which one you would choose.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Codependent Poster posted:

Because none of the other X-writers care about that. When was the last time you saw Beast outside of a Percy book?

I think everyone is just ignoring it until the chance comes along to write the Beast everyone likes instead of the character that Percy has turned him into.

When's the last time "The Beast everyone likes" even existed? He's been pretty consistently written as a terrible decision maker/bad person for like a decade at this point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

When's the last time "The Beast everyone likes" even existed? He's been pretty consistently written as a terrible decision maker/bad person for like a decade at this point.

Warcrimes McCoy.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Blockhouse posted:

The 90s X-Men cartoon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I thought Astonishing/Secret Avengers Beast was all right, and was even allowed to have some good points from time to time. He was there to be a buzzkill whenever Scott was around, sure, but he was also decently competent.

It doesn't feel like he truly started the downhill slalom that got him where he is now until Hickman's Avengers, and then everyone just ran with that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I thought Astonishing/Secret Avengers Beast was all right, and was even allowed to have some good points from time to time. He was there to be a buzzkill whenever Scott was around, sure, but he was also decently competent.

It doesn't feel like he truly started the downhill slalom that got him where he is now until Hickman's Avengers, and then everyone just ran with that.

For the longest time I thought it was going to be a big reveal that it was Dark Beast, but oh well.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
The thing is, Beast has been like this far longer than people have been noticing Beast has been like this. He turned himself blue and furry because of this exact kind of behavior, he's just been slippery slopping himself further and further down the rabbit hole because writers keep wanting to play with it. He has always had a bit of a streak of being an insufferable know-it-all who can't be told he's wrong. Getting poo poo on by Uatu and his past self basically pushed him over the edge into "gently caress you, obviously only I know what the right thing to do is," but it's not new. The only thing that's really changed is that he's not fun outside of constantly loving up.

Granted, I think being fun Beast AND "oh look, it's gently caress the Geneva Convention o'clock" Beast at the same time would be an excellent dynamic for Hank, but it'd be hard to write.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Adder Moray posted:

The thing is, Beast has been like this far longer than people have been noticing Beast has been like this. He turned himself blue and furry because of this exact kind of behavior, he's just been slippery slopping himself further and further down the rabbit hole because writers keep wanting to play with it. He has always had a bit of a streak of being an insufferable know-it-all who can't be told he's wrong. Getting poo poo on by Uatu and his past self basically pushed him over the edge into "gently caress you, obviously only I know what the right thing to do is," but it's not new. The only thing that's really changed is that he's not fun outside of constantly loving up.

Granted, I think being fun Beast AND "oh look, it's gently caress the Geneva Convention o'clock" Beast at the same time would be an excellent dynamic for Hank, but it'd be hard to write.

I think the Animated Series really locked in a lot of character personalities for a good chunk of the current readership and some characters like Beast got a pass for a long time despite a lot of evidence to the contrary like you point out.

I know that’s the case for me. It’s also why I saw Professor X as much more sympathetic leader than the evidence in the comic books then or since. But if you look at the books, he’s not only a jerk, he’s an rear end in a top hat.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Fun and also "gently caress the Geneva convention" kind of sounds like Sinister tbh. So that role is pretty much filled

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sinister and Beast buddy movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Fun and also "gently caress the Geneva convention" kind of sounds like Sinister tbh. So that role is pretty much filled

Different kinds of fun and "gently caress the Geneva Convention."

(Modern) Sinister is a wiseass who's only entertaining when you're not the one who has to deal with him and he simply refuses to give a poo poo about any laws regarding morality.

Beast is (supposed to be) affable and pleasant to be around when he's not committing war crimes and he actively spites any laws governing morality that he himself did not author or, at the very least, cosign.