Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Conspiracy theories are cool, but this one seems dumb as hell. Dude made up an ancient civilisation in his own head that only he really knows about to feel special. Smacks of the ancient aryan super race the Nazis imagined they were a part of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Endman posted:

Conspiracy theories are cool, but this one seems dumb as hell. Dude made up an ancient civilisation in his own head that only he really knows about to feel special. Smacks of the ancient aryan super race the Nazis imagined they were a part of.
It really is a modern day mutation of Victorian-era White Man's Burden paternalistic racism more than anything, though trying to puzzle out exactly which strain of racism is more to blame seems like a fool's errand. It's particularly prevalent in UFO circles because UFO culture at large is very boomer driven, reactionary, and racist as hell.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think making professors mad is cool but i cant support these methods

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Azathoth posted:

It really is a modern day mutation of Victorian-era White Man's Burden paternalistic racism more than anything, though trying to puzzle out exactly which strain of racism is more to blame seems like a fool's errand. It's particularly prevalent in UFO circles because UFO culture at large is very boomer driven, reactionary, and racist as hell.

exactly which strain of victorian racism used is explicitly spelled out in the article

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's just more Ancient Aliens-style racist crap from people who think that it's so impossible for people of colour to have built anything that if you can't find a way to attribute it to white people then it must be the product of either literal aliens or some ancient mythical white civilization that Big Science doesn't want you to know about.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I've seen a lot of archaeo guys on YT lately doing ancient aliens/aryans/atlanteans debunking, which is good and all, but I don't think they're quite reaching the particular kind of brainworms you need to believe that. Honestly I feel like the people who fall hook, line and sinker for those theories fall into two categories:

1. Mondo racists who're latching at a socially acceptable roundabout way of calling brown people subhuman

2. People who literally believe in it because it was the first theory they heard. Like they searched "how was pyramid built" and got sucked into Graham's or von Daniken's bullshit before they found an actual documentary and now they're lost forever because the actual answers to a lot of these mysteries tend to be "well we don't know all the specifics because a lot of the craftsmanship has been lost, but we can make educated guesses and-" and that's all they need to hear because "EVEN NOW, SCIENTISTS ARE STUMPED!!!!" validates everything.

After that there's a dangerously massive audience that might not be 100% convinced but "find it interesting" because it's a faint glimmer of hope for magic and wonder still existing in a bleak and pointless existence, and I feel like more pop-friendly history content can appeal to that crowd, if only to present the alternative narrative that actual history and actual archaeology are fun and important because they demonstrate that mankind has always been full of horny weirdos who'll go to great lengths to carve a jacked furry idol or whatever

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I know hancock is a hack and a crackpot but i kind of love his insane ancient civilisation bullshit. It would be a great fantasy series

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Debunking videos and podcasts are almost always aimed at people who already know it's bullshit. It's all a bit of a self-congratulatory wank if you ask me

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SexyBlindfold posted:

After that there's a dangerously massive audience that might not be 100% convinced but "find it interesting" because it's a faint glimmer of hope for magic and wonder still existing in a bleak and pointless existence, and I feel like more pop-friendly history content can appeal to that crowd, if only to present the alternative narrative that actual history and actual archaeology are fun and important because they demonstrate that mankind has always been full of horny weirdos who'll go to great lengths to carve a jacked furry idol or whatever

I've met a looot of these guys. I'm unsympathetic but to some extent I get the motivation, a distrust of traditional authorities mixed with growing up on Indiana Jones and a nice dash of dramatic magical thinking. But as mentioned the actual human past is, in fact, generally even more interesting than grand alien narratives.

Anyway what this reminds me of is Neil Degrasse Tyson's tireless effort to convince people that astrophysics is more boring than people originally assumed.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Endman posted:

Debunking videos and podcasts are almost always aimed at people who already know it's bullshit. It's all a bit of a self-congratulatory wank if you ask me

i mean sure but i like knowing why things are bullshit if youre satisfied working off of gut instinct and dont find the technical details genuinely interesting its only a matter of time before you turn into one of those condescending d and d twats that starts making value judgments based on how absurd the story can be made to sound in the context of a late night talk show monologue

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I know hancock is a hack and a crackpot but i kind of love his insane ancient civilisation bullshit. It would be a great fantasy series

I enjoy the prehistoric setting for the Conan stories, no matter how overstuffed and ahistorical it got

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tulip posted:

I've met a looot of these guys. I'm unsympathetic but to some extent I get the motivation, a distrust of traditional authorities mixed with growing up on Indiana Jones and a nice dash of dramatic magical thinking. But as mentioned the actual human past is, in fact, generally even more interesting than grand alien narratives.

Anyway what this reminds me of is Neil Degrasse Tyson's tireless effort to convince people that astrophysics is more boring than people originally assumed.

perhaps Indy 4 being loving awful helped a lot of ancient aliens people kick the habit, so who's to say if he's good or not

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Eventually he takes it to stupid Thulean levels of sonic crystal Stargate bullshit but when he decides to tone it down and talk about idk early transatlantic contact or some claim that the sumerians considered themselves refugees it does give me that sense of Mystery

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

I enjoy the prehistoric setting for the Conan stories, no matter how overstuffed and ahistorical it got

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Certain Turkish nationalists have ideas about ancient history that really sound like Robert E. Howard wrote them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd have more time for Hancock if he just didn't come across as so bitter, angry, and like a massive insufferable loser.

But yeah sure there was an Atlantis or some Crono Trigger style age of antiquity that's been forgotten. I'm down with that, its a cool concept. Where's the proof though?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
clearly that dude is making poo poo up about ice ages in an attempt to cover up the historically attested finno-korean hyperwar

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Thanks for this takedown, someone was just asking me why it was poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Obliterati posted:

Thanks for this takedown, someone was just asking me why it was poo poo

look the finno-korean hyperwar is serious poo poo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Much like 'flat-earth', my first question to anyone who sincerely believes in an ancient aliens/civilization conspiracy theory is "Who's covering this up and why? What possible benefit is there to the *checks notes*... archaeologist agenda in hiding this huge truth from the world?".

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

i say swears online posted:

look the finno-korean hyperwar is serious poo poo

Is the whole finno Korean hyperwar thing just merging two funny jingoistic superrace theories (something something our people are the best number one) or was there actually a theory out there about a war between Finnish and Korean ancestors?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oysters Autobio posted:

Is the whole finno Korean hyperwar thing just merging two funny jingoistic superrace theories (something something our people are the best number one) or was there actually a theory out there about a war between Finnish and Korean ancestors?

The former. Finnish and Korean ultranationalists each like to claim that most of Russia once belonged to them, so the Finno-Korean Hyperwar is the logical consequence of that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there are linguistic coincidences between korean and finnish that are used as "proof"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
smh at the hyperwar denialism itt

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Why else would Russia exist than as a buffer state between those two sleeping giants?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

smh at the hyperwar denialism itt

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Chamale posted:

The former. Finnish and Korean ultranationalists each like to claim that most of Russia once belonged to them, so the Finno-Korean Hyperwar is the logical consequence of that.

That's awesome, I figured it was a joke about ultranationalist "history" but I like that this one specifically came from a very reasonable conclusion of the outcomes of both history being true

It's been awhile since I read about it, anyone got any good references?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

keep punching joe posted:

Much like 'flat-earth', my first question to anyone who sincerely believes in an ancient aliens/civilization conspiracy theory is "Who's covering this up and why? What possible benefit is there to the *checks notes*... archaeologist agenda in hiding this huge truth from the world?".

People always think this is smart, but holy poo poo, if you've ever dealt with conspiracy theorists you would know this is the "never shut up again" button.

You will inevitably hear about how Communists and/or Jews control the academy and the media, and their plans to weaken the good guys to maintain control

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

That's awesome, I figured it was a joke about ultranationalist "history" but I like that this one specifically came from a very reasonable conclusion of the outcomes of both history being true

It's been awhile since I read about it, anyone got any good references?

i made an effort post way early in this thread going into how i could find almost no evidence of the korean side of the theory from korean references and based on what little i could find the whole thing seems to have been started by korean hoteps in the early internet massively misunderstanding korean language archaeological articles because thats what happens when youre a fluent speaker with only maybe an elementary school level vocabulary

i dont know anything about the finnish side of it tho

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

korean hoteps

extremely powerful combo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

isnt there a joke that every online nationalist is actually a finnish man with no relation to the country hes talking about?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

gradenko_2000 posted:

extremely powerful combo

no fuckin kidding

Some Guy TT posted:

i made an effort post way early in this thread going into how i could find almost no evidence of the korean side of the theory from korean references and based on what little i could find the whole thing seems to have been started by korean hoteps in the early internet massively misunderstanding korean language archaeological articles because thats what happens when youre a fluent speaker with only maybe an elementary school level vocabulary

Found it

Some Guy TT posted:

so i finally figured out what the deal is with the ancient korean empire and while this isnt exactly ancient history its adjacent enough that this seems like the most appropriate place to post it

so where this all gets started is in 1979 when some guy writes a book about this ancient korean empire hwandangogi the exact context of the publication is unclear but it appears to be a historical epic novel that was deliberately implied to be based on real historical events for marketing reasons it didnt work despite historical books both fictional and nonfictional being popular at the time it didnt find an audience

then in 1985 it gets translated into japanese and become super popular with ethnic koreans there what little indications there were that hwandangogi was intended to be a work of fiction appear to have been lost in translation and historically ignorant ethnic koreans in japan just interpret the story literally to get a grasp of just how obscure the original book was the japanese translation is then retranslated into korean in 1986 starting a feedback loop

the short of it is that ethnic koreans overseas interpret the books korean origins as proof of its authenticity and domestic koreans interpret foreign assumptions of the books historical value as proof of its authenticity with neither side realizing that the evidence provided by the other is nonexistent domestic koreans have a much easier time catching on to whats happening than the foreign ones because they at least have access to historians who can tell them the whole thing is a crock of poo poo

so the whole thing turns into this weird cottage industry slash cult of counter historians convinced that real historians are hiding the truth or at least thats what im told their actual website lists an upcoming event thats happening in 2016 and its nearly impossible to search about them unless you know the exact name of the book which is what was throwing me off for so long since the non korean sources avoid mentioning the books name directly and korean sources only ever discuss the theory in the context of the book

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Real hurthling! posted:

isnt there a joke that every online nationalist is actually a finnish man with no relation to the country hes talking about?
it's not a joke

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

They're called 'mods'

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Some Guy TT posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_languages
if you believe this theory then Koreans get to claim all of Steppe history

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Real hurthling! posted:

iirc 4chan had to add flags for the ip of posters due to most problematic threads about two countries coming from the ip of a third, every time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

War and Pieces posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_languages
if you believe this theory then Koreans get to claim all of Steppe history

brothers from sea to shining sea … 🐺

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the traditional roman punishment for patricide was to be sewn into a bag with a live dog, rooster, viper, and monkey and throw over the side of a ship.

i wonder how many monkeys were imported to italy just for this purpose before the practice became gauche

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Maybe they could substitute a monkey doll in a pinch, or even a squirrel or similar.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

perhaps Indy 4 being loving awful helped a lot of ancient aliens people kick the habit, so who's to say if he's good or not

Only watch odd-numbered Indy movies. 5 is gonna SLAP, I just know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the opening to temple of doom is my favorite vignette of the three movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAuvVzZgFU