Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cracker
May 12, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

No he didn’t want to use bitcoin to get the rights to talespin. He just made a petition to beg Disney to give it to him.

I loved the early days of bitcoin and its “middle schoolers drawing a cool fort in their notebooks” style businesses

Ha somehow even dumber than I remembered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Even a psychic compiler couldn't do it now, tbh. One of the big tradeoffs of the last decade has been that processors are now running significantly faster than the memory they're interacting with; if a read/write isn't in L1 or L2 cache, you're going to stall for tens of cycles.

Superscalar CPUs can compensate for that by doing various types of out-of-order or speculative execution to fill in the latency gap. But if someone wanted to make a VLIW or EPIC processor today, the compiler would need to pre-plan work to be done during load/store delays, which means the compiler has to know both how slow the memory is and what can be expected to be in L1 or L2 cache.

Caches weren't exactly invented in 2012, this was also true when Itanium was being designed :shobon: (though if you miss cache totally it's more like hundreds of cycles now and you can't really plan around that the way you're implying)

The big bets they were making were that out of order execution, being complicated in hardware would stall out in what could be achieved, and Moore's Law would keep on trucking on so simple hardware could be make to go much much faster instead. The first turned out not to be true, then turns out they made their 'simple' hardware actually pretty complicated, then Moore's Law hit the skids around (and with) the Pentium IV, at least speed-wise, which is why we're not all rocking 10GHz processors right now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Goon project: save genesis?? only 1B we might be able to raise it

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1594821325855789056

Is announcing we're about to go bankrupt unless we can raise a Billion dollars good business practise, because it feels like it's not? Not saying they should hide it or not disclose to potential investors/rescuers. But announcing to the world "Welp. We're boned!" seems odd to my non-business genius brain.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gutcruncher posted:

Why would it be called “Creative Commons” if the license isn’t common across every piece of media that exists?

He preferred to focus on more important things like the dozens of different bottled sodas his movie theatre would stock.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Deptfordx posted:

Is announcing we're about to go bankrupt unless we can raise a Billion dollars good business practise, because it feels like it's not? Not saying they should hide it or not disclose to potential investors/rescuers. But announcing to the world "Welp. We're boned!" seems odd to my non-business genius brain.

Well, time to add 'trading while insolvent' to mycrimes.txt

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

davecrazy posted:

So Aparently GameStop opened some Wallet website to store crypto and NFTs and the super stonk morons think this is the 2nd coming and prelude to the moon event.

Let them burn.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Party Ape posted:

Well, time to add 'trading while insolvent' to mycrimes.txt

Under American bankruptcy law that's not really a thing, though it probably should be.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DickParasite posted:

He preferred to focus on more important things like the dozens of different bottled sodas his movie theatre would stock.

wait wasnt it talespin and not ducktales?

Chip and Dale was the best disney afternoon show.

gently caress gooftroop

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ups_rail posted:

wait wasnt it talespin and not ducktales?

Chip and Dale was the best disney afternoon show.

gently caress gooftroop

I want to say it was Chip and Dale but IDK this was more than a decade ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DickParasite posted:

I want to say it was Chip and Dale but IDK this was more than a decade ago.

Definitely Talespin. That's probably the show people get the weirdest about, that Russian cult of Gadget notwithstanding.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Talespin was good. That guy was an idiot with no idea how anything worked, but he at least chose a good cartoon :colbert:.

Absolutely inexplicable how they landed on "Okay, so we're going to use the Jungle Book characters, but we're going to do Crimson Skies with them, and also skysurfing is going to be a thing", but it does, somehow, work.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Boxturret posted:

he thought if he could get a creative commons license he could show anything he wanted

creative con mans

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Talespin was good. That guy was an idiot with no idea how anything worked, but he at least chose a good cartoon :colbert:.

Absolutely inexplicable how they landed on "Okay, so we're going to use the Jungle Book characters, but we're going to do Crimson Skies with them, and also skysurfing is going to be a thing", but it does, somehow, work.

Probably one of those things that went through a few incarnations, but thematically I think there's a thoroughline; DuckTales famously has a lot of high-flying vehicle based adventures (and still sucks that the reboot didn't get to do a Launchpad vs Baloo race) and a lot of 80s and 90s shows were big on vehicle-based action, SWAT Kats comes to mind- kids love it. Now, using Jungle Book characters gets weird I grant you, I suspect they started out using them as placeholders and ended up not bothering to change them.

Now if you want real inexplicable 90s Disney stuff, The Mighty Ducks cartoon is barely even explained by Disney wanting their own TMNT.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now if you want real inexplicable 90s Disney stuff, The Mighty Ducks cartoon is barely even explained by Disney wanting their own TMNT.

It makes sense when you understand that Michael Eisner bought an NHL team because his son played hockey. And that corporate synergy was really huge at the time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Very effective altruism
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1594941470330523648

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What connection those fuckers have with the Bahamas? Why they lived there?

It was just so they could live like kings a lot cheaper than in the USA? Or theres some tax related advantage or something like that?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was just so they could live like kings a lot cheaper than in the USA? Or theres some tax related advantage or something like that?

yes

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

I never though about companies using exchanges.

The potential chain reaction here is brutal.

Well, I guess its not potential.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

The Bahamas is one of the shittiest tax havens on this stupid planet. The Bahamas has no income tax, corporate tax, value-added tax or wealth tax for investments in offshore companies. You can buy citizenship with a 90 days stay and a 1.5 million dollar property purchase.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 22, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Deptfordx posted:

Roll up roll up, bags for a dollar! Who will buy a bag for a dollar?
Only got a billion left , get em while theyr 'ot!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I'm presuming

1) Laxer financial laws, especially taxes
2) English speaking
3) Not the US
4) Close to the US
5) Nice weather.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tony Jay and Tim curry voice acting in the same cartoon and it had to be that one....what a waste

Also say some thing mention china was gonna save el salvador from its bitcoin problems

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I may be wrong but I don't even think Bahamas is the best tax sanctuary. There is for example Belize which McAfee was famously being drugged up and murderous at

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I may be wrong but I don't even think Bahamas is the best tax sanctuary. There is for example Belize which McAfee was famously being drugged up and murderous at

is belize a tax sanctuary or a crime sanctuary

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ymgve posted:

Crime, it’s where all the former CIA types go too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ymgve posted:

yes

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The Bahamas is a notorious tax haven, yes. It's on the EU tax haven black list and everything.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I think part of the deal is that, just like with "Anarchapulco", Bahamas comes pre-equipped with fancy hotels and beachfront property for rich tax dodgers to live in comfortably while living 'off the grid'.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

I took a dip for you (I used protection don't worry).

It's dumb and nothing and also who cares.

for the love of god please never leak this tape.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

NorgLyle posted:

I think part of the deal is that, just like with "Anarchapulco", Bahamas comes pre-equipped with fancy hotels and beachfront property for rich tax dodgers to live in comfortably while living 'off the grid'.

How long until climate change puts all that beachfront property under water?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

For now, *UAE* (where CZ is) is a common one. Bahamas/Cayman aren't. Malta and Hong Kong trended for a while, Portugal before that, Ireland & Germany a while before that. St Kitts popular, Barbados was at a time, etc Basically people pick a country that they will money launder through and gently caress over, and move on when the government wises up. You can always catch where it is when a bunch of people make noise about moving somewhere. We still have Gibraltar, St Kitts and many islands as that's what they mostly want - isolation. BVI is not one of em anymore. Eventually and hopefully the last place they choose will be North Korea, although them funding NK is bad for the world it would sum up their worldview.

Notably they're universally q-folk, anti government anti tax, libertarian, pro crypto, pro Russia, pro newsmax/tucker max, YouTube celebrities and pretty faces covering the lack of personality. The venn diagram for these people is huge and can be summed up as people who are emotional and literal vampires who emphasize the crossroads of maximum materialistic behavior, narcissistic personality disorder, and unrestricted capitalism where the ends justify the means even if someone else dies.

+ content:

https://moguldom.com/428281/famous-nyu-professor-roubini-binance-ceo-cz-could-be-bigger-scammer-than-ftx-founder-sbf/

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 22, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm presuming

1) Laxer financial laws, especially taxes
2) English speaking
3) Not the US
4) Close to the US
5) Nice weather.

Makes sense

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

HappyHippo posted:

bitcoin dumping hard rn

I love the quiet desperation of that horizontal line at 16k. "Don't worry, when it gets back up to 16k, I'll get out"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
¯\_(ツ)¯\_

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is good for bitcoin

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Serious_Cyclone posted:

BTC is just the episode of Sunny with the Paddy's Dollars but somehow even worse

“And then we trade the dogecoin for more Dave and busters gift cards!”

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

“And then we trade the dogecoin for more Dave and busters gift cards!”

Will the dogecoin work at the Penn's Landing Dave & Buster's?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zopotantor posted:

How long until climate change puts all that beachfront property under water?
Longer than you’ll be alive.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I really wanna know what that coworker that was buying btc on his work computer last dec is up to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Longer than you’ll be alive.

Yeah, probably :corsair: