Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its entirely capabale of killing both maulers in an ammo heist train in the timeframe of one volley fire, too, so its not a slouch in the single target dps department.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, nothing new with this patch past the hairstylist, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

So, nothing new with this patch past the hairstylist, right?

Seemingly not. If there are more maps in the rotation I haven't seen them pop up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oh hey they removed the peril from the first stage of the force sword push so I can stop accidentally blowing myself up when panicking in a mob. Just don't go to tier 2 and you're fine.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Veteran probably has the biggest power spike by going to 30 since your ult goes from a 5 second duration to "Not until I'm done" duration.
I think it's probably the Zealot, since they can get two charges on their ult on completely separate cooldowns. (unless they nerfed that bit) But that not only means getting all your toughness back but with the charge bonuses you can also instantly delete multiple crushers, which seems to be a common sight on difficulty 4.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

thebardyspoon posted:

If that's in response to what I wrote, read it again? I'm saying it's fair enough for now cause yeah it's a beta but for release it'll still be annoying if we can't actively select our missions ourselves and have to rely on an arbitrary and changing schedule. In addition to that, even if it does work "fine" I still don't really see what it adds that a regular level select doesn't have?

Sorry, it's not a direct response to you, just the general feeling I've seen here some and a lot on other places.

I agree in terms of how mission select is done, and DRG is right over there showing you how mission select is done right. Offer a different selection of missions and maps, and let the player select the difficulty. Seems like a solved issue even with the differences in gameplay and progression.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Evil Kit posted:

Sorry, it's not a direct response to you, just the general feeling I've seen here some and a lot on other places.

I agree in terms of how mission select is done, and DRG is right over there showing you how mission select is done right. Offer a different selection of missions and maps, and let the player select the difficulty. Seems like a solved issue even with the differences in gameplay and progression.

The answer is to tweak the mission rewards rather than the missions.

It's OK if one mission takes 10 minutes to clear and another one takes 25. What's not OK is when they both pay out the exact same EXP/money/other rewards.

As an added bonus the variable exp reward would be another lever they could tweak when need be. Turns out some mission is really easy to rush for max time:exp for reasons that aren't immediately obvious? Just dial the exp back by 20% while you work to fine tune the map itself or whatever is causing the underlying unbalance. Or don't, because again the problem isn't necessarily having short and long missions.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
From the sounds of it they also gave the ogryn more grenades. Too bad the one grenade feat they have is so specifically niche as to be almost entirely worthless. Kind of wish they made it apply to all unyielding enemies and monsters too. Make it something worth whipping out in a crowd.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeathSandwich posted:

From the sounds of it they also gave the ogryn more grenades. Too bad the one grenade feat they have is so specifically niche as to be almost entirely worthless. Kind of wish they made it apply to all unyielding enemies and monsters too. Make it something worth whipping out in a crowd.

It's far from useless, having more is exactly what I wanted actually. It can delete specials with one throw and take chunks out of bosses but with only one to use I always opted to save it until I 'needed it' and half the time I'd end a game without using mine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

It's far from useless, having more is exactly what I wanted actually. It can delete specials with one throw and take chunks out of bosses but with only one to use I always opted to save it until I 'needed it' and half the time I'd end a game without using mine.

:same: Even just having two would be a huge boost

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of mission rewards. The "Fewer hordes" modifier counts as any other modifier, so you get a bonus for completing missions with it, which is kinda funny.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of mission rewards. The "Fewer hordes" modifier counts as any other modifier, so you get a bonus for completing missions with it, which is kinda funny.

Isn't the whole thing that there's fewer hordes but more specials so it is kind of a pain in the rear end for other reasons?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I nope out of IIIs with more Hordes. I dont have the skill to get the thrills!

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

explosivo posted:

Compared to what it shares a tier with? It's not better than the 50%damage and damage reduction against enemy ogryns, and it's not better than the bleed (though worthless on its own is exceptionally good when paired with the level 20 top line, giving you damage resistance per nearby bleeding enemy.)

Edit: talking about the "grenade box breaks when hitting carapace armor" feat to be specific.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeathSandwich posted:

Compared to what it shares a tier with? It's not better than the 50%damage and damage reduction against enemy ogryns, and it's not better than the bleed (though worthless on its own is exceptionally good when paired with the level 20 top line, giving you damage resistance per nearby bleeding enemy.)

Edit: talking about the "grenade box breaks when hitting carapace armor" feat to be specific.

Oh yeah that feat seems completely not worth it. I'm in it for the single target damage and not potential explosions after the fact.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

explosivo posted:

Oh yeah that feat seems completely not worth it. I'm in it for the single target damage and not potential explosions after the fact.

Plus it seems like the times you really want the box to break open its' unlikely to be hitting an armored opponent.

I dgaf if I get some grenade spam after I clonk the armored rager or whatever. What would be sweet is if that happened after I stove in the squishy skull of some mook in the middle of a horde.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

explosivo posted:

Isn't the whole thing that there's fewer hordes but more specials so it is kind of a pain in the rear end for other reasons?

Haven't really noticed anything like that. Besides, specials without hordes to back them up aren't much of a threat anyway.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What counts as a warp attack for triggering the psyker toughness regen? Brain burst does, and I think force sword charged attacks do - staff attacks too? Soulblaze?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I believe fewer hordes states it reduces both specials and hordes.

Appears there are not currently new maps in the rotation and boy are people freaking out about it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd be willing to believe fewer hordes should read "and more specials".

First couple of times I ran it on Malice I was so happy i picked all my "actually kill specials" vet loadout.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Orv posted:

I believe fewer hordes states it reduces both specials and hordes.

Appears there are not currently new maps in the rotation and boy are people freaking out about it.

Usual "it's a beta" caveats etc. but if you've played more than a couple hours of this the current map rotation is getting THIN, especially with them having removed some. I'm at the point now where I have the medicae stations and frequent spawn points memorized on the jail assassination mission, and I'm not the sort of person who usually manages that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Usual "it's a beta" caveats etc. but if you've played more than a couple hours of this the current map rotation is getting THIN, especially with them having removed some. I'm at the point now where I have the medicae stations and frequent spawn points memorized on the jail assassination mission, and I'm not the sort of person who usually manages that.

It was more a comment about gamers being psycho but yeah I would not mind a change of pace from Drayko, Chasm Terminus and Oubliette.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Pity not the Gamer

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sharkopath posted:

The fuller auto variant. If you find the base iv its good too though.

The VId fires so fast you can get 3 lasgun beams visble in the same screenshot.
What's your opinion on the VIId? It fires notably slower than the VId but I haven't used the baseline II (or IV or whatever number it is) to compare and haven't had a chance to try it in an actual mission yet.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Insert name here posted:

What's your opinion on the VIId? It fires notably slower than the VId but I haven't used the baseline II (or IV or whatever number it is) to compare and haven't had a chance to try it in an actual mission yet.
From watching a streamer play around with them, the faster firing one is just a straight DPS upgrade, though at the cost of some ammo efficiency since you get the same amount of ammo but do less damage per shot. Very much still worth it though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look, if you really want to show the lasgun ammo the way you do, FatShark, just make it a percentage of total charge because it's driving me nuts. I know about the ~lore~, I know about the variable las settings - this loving 30/300 number is not diagetic, it's a ui element completely divorced from my character's understanding of the gun, and driving me fuckin nuts to see it take 3 "shots" away every time I fire.

Edit - broadly speaking, what does a las pistol have that a las gun doesn't? Better hip fire? Faster draw?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wait so why haven't we gotten more maps with this patch and why did they completely gloss over that in the patch notes? I really hope we're not playing the same 4 maps for another week.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dramicus posted:

PSA: if you are having performance issues, check the settings in the launcher and turn off NVIDIA latency boost or whatever it's called and set the worker threads to half of how many threads your CPU has in total (so if you have 24 threads, set it to 12). I did this and went from 60-110 fps to 100-160 fps. YMMV.

This seems to be giving me a stable FPS of 60 now from 30-40. Put Threads to 6 and turned off Nvidia latency boost thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit - broadly speaking, what does a las pistol have that a las gun doesn't? Better hip fire? Faster draw?

Mostly better draw, it comes out almost instantly whereas the las rifle has to be racked every time. Or whatever it is on a gun with no bullets, energizing the power cell?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait so why haven't we gotten more maps with this patch and why did they completely gloss over that in the patch notes? I really hope we're not playing the same 4 maps for another week.

It does seem that way yeah.

Though they've never really qualified what the difference between a zone and a mission is.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Mostly better draw, it comes out almost instantly whereas the las rifle has to be racked every time. Or whatever it is on a gun with no bullets, energizing the power cell?

Also feels way more accurate. It's stupidly easy to just pop domes non-stop with them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also feels way more accurate. It's stupidly easy to just pop domes non-stop with them.

Within a certain range, but there is some pretty noticeable sway if you are trying to snipe specials with them.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Gonna be real, those patch notes read as a tightly controlled version of "oh god oh poo poo oh gently caress we don't have enough time to make all this work." Which is pretty much what everyone (except management, probably) predicted.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

:popeye:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Additionally, pistols aren't necessarily less powerful than rifles, either. I just picked up a heavy laspistol (albeit only a green one at level 5) that handily outdamages my previous rifle, especially against flak amor.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Look, if you really want to show the lasgun ammo the way you do, FatShark, just make it a percentage of total charge because it's driving me nuts. I know about the ~lore~, I know about the variable las settings - this loving 30/300 number is not diagetic, it's a ui element completely divorced from my character's understanding of the gun, and driving me fuckin nuts to see it take 3 "shots" away every time I fire.

All of the above. Draws faster, better hip fire, way way faster reload in exchange for worse ADS and sway. It's actually a pretty legit standoff weapon for zealot.

Anyone get into revolver for the sharpshooter? It seems like all the boosts to reload speed would do great for it, and you can 1 and 2 tap specials with it.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Would be amazing on a mark v one that has cleave and straight armor pen .

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

This game needs another month to get everything they currently have in it working nevermind adding the missing stuff. If more than half the maps aren't even in rotation yet then it's guaranteed a bunch of them will be crashfests on release.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Corbeau posted:

Gonna be real, those patch notes read as a tightly controlled version of "oh god oh poo poo oh gently caress we don't have enough time to make all this work." Which is pretty much what everyone (except management, probably) predicted.
I like the part where the patch notes are all "Veteran talent balance pass, bleeding" like ??? okay but what changed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Insert name here posted:

I like the part where the patch notes are all "Veteran talent balance pass, bleeding" like ??? okay but what changed lol

From the video posted it no longer has unlimited duration